• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renekton

Two things:

1 - Rashid's QCB+K is a Destroyer of AI Worlds

2 - Even if you turn down everything to low settings for SF5, on stages with 30fps objects and animations, framerate drops still happen, so...poor programming by Capcom there thinking they could do what Nintendo/Capcom did with Smash 3DS.
Unreal Engine 4 is by Epic.

It takes practice. I posted on SRK because I couldn't figure out how to do a hit confirm in SFV since it was a lot harder than in SFIV. Just focus on the hitsparks of your first normal, do the second normal, and buffer the special. You can visually confirm whether to hit the button to have the special come out by recognizing what happens with the first normal. Turn on training mode and set block to random to work on this. I do it in while I'm waiting for matches. It takes practice, but I'm sure you'll get it with a little bit of time.
That's actually a really good idea. Thanks for the tip.

leehom

satorii just raged quit on me. is there a thread for rq's? i have the video saved.

Sammytheboss007 just rq right after satori did. this kid only has 700 lp

People getting mad losing to a guy named derp, rofl.

ElTopo

Banned
GGs. Slowly figuring out the Chun-Li MU...

Sent you an invite, if you're still available.

Only way I can beat a Chun with Mika is to call Nadeshiko so I can get in and hopefully get Chun in the corner. Other than that, I sometimes neutral jump or do a spaced HP Peach to try to get in.

kobu

So i beat art off steam and then when we play on stream I lose, feels bad. I think my vega is getting better though.

jett

D-Member
2 - Even if you turn down everything to low settings for SF5, on stages with 30fps objects and animations, framerate drops still happen, so...poor programming by Capcom there thinking they could do what Nintendo/Capcom did with Smash 3DS.

What?

"See these silvers playing not their mains in lobby? Somehow I find it demeaning. Oh well, at least I can beat them now."

Nobody allowed to play anything but their main ever.

"See these silvers playing not their mains in lobby? Somehow I find it demeaning. Oh well, at least I can beat them now."

Nobody allowed to play anything but their main ever.

I get it but... I'm going there to learn, they could tag it casual if they want that. Instead it feels more like 'oh, someone lower rank came in, time to put on the kid gloves'.

SmokeMaxX

The Zangief CA vs Birdie's banana video is finally done. I do jump right after, but note from the inputs that I am not jumping before the flash, and I'm sure I'm within range of the CA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSDjEwbBEWU&t=14s

That's within range, right?
Lol that's weird. I assume that it's not within range. I wonder if interacting with the banana's hit box in any way affected that outcome. I can't imagine Gief having that shitty of a range on his super. Maybe the banana overlaps Birdie's grabable hurtbox? I'd love to see that on the hitbox viewer lol.

that video is the first time I have ever seen Mika's v reversal

DpMdDEG.gif

Lol that's weird. I assume that it's not within range. I wonder if interacting with the banana's hit box in any way affected that outcome. I can't imagine Gief having that shitty of a range on his super. Maybe the banana overlaps Birdie's grabable hurtbox? I'd love to see that on the hitbox viewer lol.

I swear it looks like he just jumped in the nick of time to me.

LakeEarth

When he activates, Zangief's and Birdie's front feet are touching. Doesn't look any further than this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmbRj81CCpQ&t=2m38s

I swear it looks like he just jumped in the nick of time to me.

That's why I included the inputs for the video. He activates at 20 seconds, I don't press up until 21 seconds (just an automatic reaction to the CA, even though I thought it was pointless at the time). It should've been too late.

Edzi

I get it but... I'm going there to learn, they could tag it casual if they want that. Instead it feels more like 'oh, someone lower rank came in, time to put on the kid gloves'.

They're probably trying to learn new characters too. You'd probably be better off setting up some sets with someone here if you're looking for serious practice.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Watching some videos of Moons' Bison. I really need to use that low MK more. I can't believe how I have taken to this version of Bison btw. He just feels so good and is so evil. His slow walk speed makes me patient also, which has helped me tremendously in matches. Some other things I have to work on is incorporating V Trigger way more and using V Reversal when pressed.

ElFly

it was like that in Beta 4 but they reverted it for some reason.

Yeah yeah. I think they already nerfed her from that iteration and wanted to give her something.

Dude the rope thing is what happens if she hits you with a normal? What?

I never understood what was happening as I've yet to read up on her, but that seems insane.

It is like in wrestling, where wrestlers are thrown to the ropes, and they rebound.

(wrestling is fake)

cordy

Banned
I've been studying this game for a while now, playing Rashid, Nash, Ryu, and Vega but also studying other characters, for a time I wanted to main Rashid, but I don't think so now...

Basically, I don't think Rashid is very good, but I'll talk about how I drew that conclusion.

The way I see the game, is that there are 7 important traits a character can have

- 3 frame normal
- good walk speed (both forward and back)
- good normal's (winning the neutral is important)
- a meterless reversal
- a command throw
- high damage bnbs and light confirms
- good anti-air options (helps locking people down, keeping them out, keeping them in a corner, restricting options)

Rashid has none of these. He loses in neutral because his normals are bad, his damage is low-moderate, his light confirms get next to nothing (spinning mixer does 60-80 damage) and he can only get ex eagle kick combos off of st.mp confirms (e.g. st.mp, st.mp ex eagle, mp spinning mixer) which doesn't hit on crouching opponents and is also really spacing dependent. His reversal requires 1 bar, has an odd angle (they need to come in at the right angle for it to work) and his normal anti-air trades many air to ground approaches. His whirlwind shot (projectile) has perhaps the longest startup and recovery of any projectile in the game, and can't be cancelled off of any decent normal's to combo into anything, he has no command throw.

Ultimately he can't win the neutral and depends on getting up close to his opponent. People say 'rashid can play a mix all about the field, with options in mid, close and long range' and while that's true, a jack of all trades is a master of none. Against characters like Ryu or Ken, Rashid is outclassed in the mid, long and close ranged game. The best aspects of the character are that you can create some solid frametraps, but they push you pretty far back so retaining the pressure is difficult, you can use HK whirlwind shot cancels to roll back into close range but this is unsafe, EX whirlwind cancels are safe at the right range (where all three hits from the whirlwind hit) and this is the only option to getting up close. Against characters like Mika and Laura though, the matchup feels like lose-lose, as Rashid's neutral game isn't strong enough to keep these characters out, and and while you're stronger up close, against these command throwing, high-damage grapplers, you're really outclassed.

When Moon's picked Rashid against Rainbow at NBCL v.4 he demonstrated this really well. Using Rashid as a means of mediating Mika's close range efficacy, but ultimately, for every hit he got, Mika was getting double the damage, for every hit she got. So it didn't amount to enough win the match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwOfDFYWWvM

The same is true for matchups against characters like Ryu, while Rashid can put a stop to mid-screen fireballs, that doesn't get him in, and he can't threaten with his own. At the close-mid (2-4 character spaces) ranges, Rashid is beat. Ryu can throw fireballs without a reaction roll & punish being feasible, and simply put, his normals, beat Rashid's at this range. Standing MK is Rashid's biggest merits, but naturally it's not special cancellable and it's -2 on block so it gives your opponent momentum. If they get too close to you, they can jump at you with a crossup for free pressure too, you don't have an AA option for this. Rolling and approaching like this is super unsafe, and as opponents get familiar with it, they will realise they can punish rolls for huge damage.

Compared to characters like Chun, who has 5/7 of the traits listed at the start, or Vega who has 4, Ryu who has 3, etc. It feels like Rashid is a really lacking character, who just doesn't have enough tools to get the job done. Capcom replaced solid fundamentals with a bunch of wildcards (vskill, vtrigger, running, an aggressive special that's safe on block (spinning mixer)) but this doesn't amount to solid fundamentals. I've looked to the top Rashid's for answers, but it feels as though they don't have them. Every time I see them play top Ryu's or Kens, the shoto's lock them down in the same way I describe. Of course, good players like Sultan, Lamberboi and Gacht take a lot of games, but when they do, it often feels like the opponent outplayed themselves with poor matchup knowledge rather than the Rashid players skill.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the long post.

Wow, amazing analysis. I loved reading this.

Do you have any for other characters?

Looking at the Birdie's inputs, he doesn't hold up until after the super flash.

Just loaded up practice mode, and got him to grab me through the bannana. The range is deceptively short on the ca vs birdie is all, I think.

They're probably trying to learn new characters too. You'd probably be better off setting up some sets with someone here if you're looking for serious practice.

Is that an invite Edzi? I would like to see your necalli since you've shot so far up.

Opto

Banned
Got up to 300+ LP today. Kens and Nashes are still the bane of my Karin. Played with Bison a little and I don't like him that much, even though less people know what to do against him

Edzi

Just loaded up practice mode, and got him to grab me through the bannana. The range is deceptively short on the ca vs birdie is all, I think.

Is that an invite Edzi? I would like to see your necalli since you've shot so far up.

Heh, I'd be down to play later, but I won't be online for a while.

cordy

Banned
How do people feel about the art style of this game?

Perfect mix of 3 and 4's and yet it has it's own unique flair to it. It's the perfect representation of the series right now. If they took the realistic look like the prototype pics showed I would have been heavily disappointed. This looks like Street Fighter V, not Street Fighter Gear Solid.

LakeEarth

I just tested it out, and Zangief's CA will grab Birdie even if their feet aren't touching. It'll hit even with 2 small squares of the training stage 'grid' separating the feet. In the banana video, Zangief and Birdie's feet are clearly overlapping each other.

You're probably right, I'm testing Birdie's foot position idle, not while walking back. I'll test again.

EDIT - hmm, I was able to grab him while feet were touching even when walking back... I'll keep testing it out. I'm betting the CA was a sliver out of range, but I'm kinda obsessed with this now.

Syntsui

Anyone having luck playing Chun Li on pad? (Hori FC4 even).

It doesn't matter if the D-pad is good, my thumb can only go so far to connect all those fast frame combos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom