• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehom

Aaannd another rq. Skyflux this time. Silver ranks full of quitters.

One more rq and I'm going to quit rank until capcom fixes this. Lost over 400 lp from the rqs.

DpMdDEG.gif
omg

joe2187

Banned
Once again I climb my way back from rookie (450) all the way to Ultra Bronze (1690) tonight.

took me about 15 matches.

but I need to just sit back for now and relax.

LakeEarth

Just loaded up practice mode, and got him to grab me through the bannana. The range is deceptively short on the ca vs birdie is all, I think.

It's so strange. I've re-created the last frame I can see before the whole CA/banana thing happened, and you're right, the CA grabs through the banana... but the CA grabs, which means it should've been in range. The CA must've been exactly one pixel away from reaching, and Birdie's walk-back animation is what makes it look like it should've hit.

Updating the Youtube video accordingly.

Wow, amazing analysis. I loved reading this.

Do you have any for other characters?

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Rashid does have merits like the v-trigger, v-skill and some other gimmicks but they don't amount to something you can build a game around, in my opinion.

I like Vega but I'm struggling with figuring out what he's supposed to do against jump ins. He has an air throw which, on reaction you can use to some effect, but I'm not sure how consistent that is.

What I see as a big deal in this game, is not allowing your opponent to get into situations where they're at frame advantage. That puts you into a 50/50 situation, where they can press throw which will catch you if you block, or if you press a normal, or a medium hit confirm which will counterhit you if you throw. You want to keep your opponent away from those situations as they provide the momentum that carries a game. It's like Art says, SFV is about knowing when your turn is, and if you are letting people jump in on you, even if you block, you are allowing them to have more turns. In that regard, SFV is not only about knowing when your turn is, but minimizing the number of turns your opponent is allowed to have.

For Vega this is an even bigger deal, as he has no reversal option, but I think sliding under jumps is a decent option, though I'm still evaluating others...

I'm going to keep playing Rashid on the side anyway, but one thing I have noticed is that playing many characters makes me much better at the game, very quickly. For instance until I started playing Vega I did not know that his slide was always unsafe on block, even with optimum spacing. Since then, I have been able to get a lot of free damage on Vega players by baiting slides (simply, briefly walk towards or back around 3 character spaces away).

I always think I will develop matchup knowledge by playing and testing, but I find it much easier to get the ins and outs of a character and crucially, their weakneses, by playing.

DunpealD

I've been studying this game for a while now, playing Rashid, Nash, Ryu, and Vega but also studying other characters, for a time I wanted to main Rashid, but I don't think so now...

Basically, I don't think Rashid is very good, but I'll talk about how I drew that conclusion.

The way I see the game, is that there are 7 important traits a character can have

- 3 frame normal
st.lk is a 3 framer

- good walk speed (both forward and back)
Forward walkseed is ranked 11, including v-triggers. backward walkspeed is ranked 3.
Best forward dash in the game due to speed and travel distance and jump cancellable, but rather slow and short backdash

- good normal's (winning the neutral is important)
st.lp and st.mp are +3 on block, which are rarities. St.HK can crush lows, is crush counter and -2 on block.

Not playing Rashid, but added some general information.

Zackat

Anyone having luck playing Chun Li on pad? (Hori FC4 even).

It doesn't matter if the D-pad is good, my thumb can only go so far to connect all those fast frame combos.
If you are talking about charge timing you have to start charging as soon as you hit the st.mp, before the animation even starts, and make sure you cancel into sbk late. It took me a while (I am on stick) but now that I got it, it's not so bad. I will mess around on a ps4 pad real quick and see.

tm24

Won 10 games in a row through ranked and casual today. I have never felt so hype. Caught a Nash who was miles better than me with constant reversals on moonlight slash and just being patient. Won both rounds with a reaction Rashid CA. So great

jett

D-Member
Anyone having luck playing Chun Li on pad? (Hori FC4 even).

It doesn't matter if the D-pad is good, my thumb can only go so far to connect all those fast frame combos.

It's definitely a trial. Instant air legs is the worst. I think I'm gonna have to change to Mika simply because the execution skill for Chun is high already, and I feel hamstrung by the controller to boot. I don't think I'm gonna improve much with this girl at this point, whereas every Mika combo and punisher I can probably execute with ease.

I'm on a DS3 though, which is even worse lol.

joe2187

Banned
Oh...you gonna run away and full screen taunt me Vega....okay

imma just go ahead and beast on you the next round and win the match.

KingBroly

Banned
Over 500k FM now because Rashid's QCB+K just destroys the AI for some reason.

Getting really tired of doing this shit over and over again. Give me the Trials already, Capcom.

Demise

Vega best AA option is hp hse but you have to time it well, if you do, it beats everything. If you want another very good option : vega goes very low to the ground when he dash forward, his hitbox too. You can dash under a jump easily and go for a clawless command grab or stlk clp xx light roll on confirm (isn't safe against three frame moves). Don't attempt a regular throw since mashing jab beat them.

Vega is clearly top tier next to chun dict and ryu, but you have to have perfect defense and spacing. If you do he is unstoppable. Best walk speed, best range, three frame you can combo (stlk), best v reversal, best air to air game, command grab, unpredictable gameplan, usefull super you can conect from every situation, fast dash that a cover a lot... What you want to do is zoning while fishing for opening with hp, until your claw falls off and then Vega become a beast : the fastest and most mobile character in the game with an ex command grab... Keep your ex for this particular moment in the game. The only thing that make ryu, chun and bison better than him is the fact that they're easier to play. Can't mash or spam with vega.

SmokeMaxX

Vega is clearly top tier next to chun dict and ryu, but you have to have perfect defense and spacing..

I think Vega is really good. Better than Bison. However, I wouldn't say clearly top tier. I have the top 3 as Ryu, Chun, and Cammy. Vega is high tier though, but clearly under the other three.

EDIT: Reason being that he struggles without a good reliable antiair or a good reversal. He also is not as oppressive as the other three.

Renekton

I wonder where Cammy stands. Kazunoko's Cammy seems unbeatable right now. He beasted everyone that fought him, and seems a tier above Poongko due to his ability to late confirm normals.

petghost

Banned
I think Vega is really good. Better than Bison. However, I wouldn't say clearly top tier. I have the top 3 as Ryu, Chun, and Cammy. Vega is high tier though, but clearly under the other three.

EDIT: Reason being that he struggles without a good reliable antiair or a good reversal. He also is not as oppressive as the other three.

i think the more i seen of him the more i think he has weird weaknesses. some examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q1bmZ5KgUQ

FACE showed me this shit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BTPjfE0YgI

EDIT: much better vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDedwdyPyv4&feature=youtu.be

SmokeMaxX

Not playing Rashid, but added some general information.

Sorry I meant a 3 frame jab, as in cr.lp, standing short is decent enough but doesn't have the range to punish most of what you would want a 3 frame for. So it's limited in that regard compared to someone like Chun, Cammy, Karin etc.

If you take the average rank of his walkspeed (11+3=14/2) it puts him at 7th, the problem with that is, the characters occupying anything below 10th are characters like Gief, Dhalsim, Bison, Birdy. These characters all have rather extraordinary properties and playstyles that were specifically designed to mediate their walkspeed. I would say Rashid's is mediocre, if not bad, relative to the characters style.

And yeah, he has st.hk which 'crushes lows' but it also eats a lot of crouching mediums, and gets you crush countered very easily. Worse still, it's -2 on block, which puts you in an automatic frametrap / grab 50/50. It's a tool he has, but I wouldn't just throw it out unless you observe specific patterns in your opponents behaviour that might make you think it might have some success.

As for normals being +3 on block, are you reading this directly from the guidebook? Yes, they're nice, which is why I said he has some nice frametraps, I think these moves are valuable but they're not the footsies that win the neutral, what they do do, is force your opponent to respect your strings which leads into throw pressure. Either way though, what value is this difference? If you're +2 or +3 on your blocked jab then your next 5 frame normal is still a 1 frame tight frametrap. Perhaps I just don't understand, but +3 on jab gives Rashid what significant benefit exactly compared to +2 on short?

Either way though, what the guidebook or popular information tells you is a 'rarity' isn't all that accurate. Around half of the cast have access to a normal that's +3 on guard. Gief, Laura, Cammy, Chun, Sim, Bison, Birdy, Nash, Rashid... probably some others I can't recall. That actually makes not having one the rarity, no?

Syntsui

If you are talking about charge timing you have to start charging as soon as you hit the st.mp, before the animation even starts, and make sure you cancel into sbk late. It took me a while (I am on stick) but now that I got it, it's not so bad. I will mess around on a ps4 pad real quick and see.
I think I pulled this combo one time after hundreds of tries. The one that finishes with the lighting legs is just better for the reliability.

The execution for Chun Li on pad is just way too demanding. Insta air kick is another nightmare to pull of, specify in a tense fight.

I understand that some pro players have success with pads, but one thing that became clear to me today is that that is exclusive to some specific characters. The human thumb can only go so far lol.

I won't batch too much though. Today was only the first day, I will put some severe work on her. Let's see how much better it can get.

Paltheos

After having not touched ranked since week 1 to avoid dealing with RQs, I decided to give it another shot. Much cleaner. I only got one ragequit out of a few, dozen ranked matches today, and since my friend showed me how to save video/audio from the last five minutes using my video card, he (and any others) won't be getting away with it without the world seeing.

My matches on the whole went well. I climbed to Silver without a problem at all. The push to Super Silver is harder, but I'll get there eventually.. I'm winning most of my matches against most characters, but the few characters I don't know how to fight wreck me consistently. Right now I think I have the most trouble against Laura, R. Mika, and Birdie.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Floe just beat a ken with the rules that he could only parry, DP, vtrigger and super.

That was fucking hilarious.

Zackat

I think I pulled this combo one time after hundreds of tries. The one that finishes with the lighting legs is just better for the reliability.

The execution for Chun Li on pad is just way too demanding. Insta air kick is another nightmare to pull of, specify in a tense fight.

I understand that some pro players have success with pads, but one thing that became clear to me today is that that is exclusive to some specific characters. The human thumb can only go so far lol.

I won't batch too much though. Today was only the first day, I will put some severe work on her. Let's see how much better it can get.

what's amazing is how easy it is to do instant air legs with an analog stick. just started messing around with it on my ps4. Every single time, really easy. Doing instant air legs on the pad is hard though, idk how people do that.

hamchan

The majority of the player base being at bronze levels instead of spread out evenly over the many tiers could be seen as a failure of the league system.

Zackat

I don't think I've ever seen anything backfire quite as spectacularly as the league system in this game

Is it bad because they put trophies for league rank ups, ragequitting, or poor design? It works well for a lot of other games but quitting is punished pretty heavily on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom