• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem to lose their mind with Mika. Like, her combos are somehow more galling. Yes, she can mix you up. However, half of the cast in this game have a strong frame trap game. How is that monumentally different? It is all about deception.
There's a lot of kneejerking going on with various characters, yes. Two weeks ago it was Dhalsim, then it was Chun-Li, now it's Mika. Give it some time and there'll be someone else to latch onto whilst (largely) ignoring the previous ones.

GGs, Alex. We had some good sets.

Good Games man, had a blast! Basically I haven't found a main so I just picked up everyone.. Thus why Anti airs were bad and I forgot how to do Karins super in the first game we played Haha.

Very nice everyone really. Thanks for going down the sub line since if you kept to Necalli I would of be obliterated for an hour. Thinking about your Necalli, My necalli needs to use more cr.mk and overheads.

Were those Mk stomps that CH me that lead into another crmp/mk>lk stomp?

Anyways, that was the most fun I had with the game since release. Now the wait for Alex continues.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Yeah, you have to know when to press buttons against a competent Rashid since his frame traps seem to loop into themselves if you don't know where the gaps are.

On the other hand... if I'm a good player who just bought the game, I can rank up quickly by playing silver and gold members right out the gate. If I truly am a good player, I should never (or only rarely) be losing to players with a lower rank. I also think it's good for lower ranked players to play higher ranked players because it lets them get a taste of "good" play. As an example, a bronze player in our facebook group posted a video of him double perfecting another bronze player in ranked and asking for tips. Right off the bat, I told him that there's no way he'd get away with jumping so much and doing as many unsafe specials as he did if he were playing a higher ranked player.

Sometimes being stuck in the lower ranks fosters bad habits. It's easy to "learn" to constantly jump in when noone's anti-airing you and "mash DP on wakeup" if noone's punishing hard enough.

Saying you should rarely be losing to someone ranked lower than you would be fine and dandy If like a third of the people playing weren't stealing their neighbors wifi or if the game wasn't a rollback mess on your screen but smooth on theirs or whatever other fuckery happens online. As for the latter part of your statement you already see a ton of people who are dropping the game who post in this very thread because they win 3 games in a row and then run into someone with 4 times their points who just steamrolls them and takes an hour's worth of their progress. That's how new players dont learn shit and start rage quitting. New players shouldn't be coddled but they should be at least paired up with other people on their general level. FFS they already did this shit with championship mode 7 years ago.

Edzi

Good Games man, had a blast! Basically I haven't found a main so I just picked up everyone.. Thus why Anti airs were bad and I forgot how to do Karins super in the first game we played Haha.

Very nice everyone really. Thanks for going down the sub line since if you kept to Necalli I would of be obliterated for an hour. Thinking about your Necalli, My necalli needs to use more cr.mk and overheads.

Were those Mk stomps that CH me that lead into another crmp/mk>lk stomp?

Anyways, that was the most fun I had with the game since release. Now the wait for Alex continues.

Yup, I try to mix it up with MK Stomp and if it hits I can combo off of it (no counter hit required). You can hit me out of the start up, but most people don't expect it and it's also pretty safe on block.

SmokeMaxX

Saying you should rarely be losing to someone ranked lower than you would be fine and dandy If like a third of the people playing weren't stealing their neighbors wifi or if the game wasn't a rollback mess on your screen but smooth on theirs or whatever other fuckery happens online. As for the latter part of your statement you already see a ton of people who are dropping the game who post in this very thread because they win 3 games in a row and then run into someone with 4 times their points who just steamrolls them and takes an hour's worth of their progress. That's how new players dont learn shit and start rage quitting. New players shouldn't be coddled but they should be at least paired up with other people on their general level. FFS they already did this shit with championship mode 7 years ago.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this I guess? I don't think bronze players should expect to win against gold players, but I guess if you factor in the fact that they still lose points, I can kinda see where you're coming from. It's not like they won't get those points back if they deserve them though.

Decided to play the game today since I hadn't touched it all weekend and it was one horrible fight after another. Battle lounge is full of Ryu walls, ranked was stuffed full of Ryu walls and a mashy Nash that pissed me the hell off. I lost my silver rank but got it back exactly at 2000 LP. I don't think I can tolerate this sort of online where 90% of my matches will be against Ryus playing like a wall with their hadoukens, parries, dragon punches and super hard hitting basic combos. Getting in on him feels impossible. It made me think there is no way I'll pay for Alex because without his air stampede/stomp it's just a battle of attrition. The worst must have been the game disconnecting during the beginning of the third round of a ranked Karen mirror match that probably looked like a rage quit to my opponent. What a disappointing night. I never thought Ryu could bring me so much grief.
Since the game is new, doesn't it make sense that a lot of people haven't played enough to get the experience to be beyond bronze?
Based on my experience the current system is overly harsh and the vast majority of players will stay bronze as a result. When I was trying to work my way up I got 2-3 six win streaks against bronze/super bronze players, but a couple of losses would wipe out my winnings pretty quickly. The only reason I got to Silver rank was winning a few matches against silver and super silvers that dole out a good amount of points.
It doesn't function. It doesn't match up people by league rank. Players with a lot of points have hours of play go down the toilet if they lose one game to a low ranked player. Low ranked players are consistently getting stomped by players with 5 times their LP. A shit ton of frauds in the middle rq'ing left and right to keep their precious points. Its basically a non existent system.
It's definitely a harsh system. The trophies and lack of penalties just exacerbates the issue.

Armored moves blow right through the chain and the banana peel. They would have worked, just learn the mu a bit more. And watch those elbows, I command threw you every time I blocked those.

Send me an invite.

GGs Crack. You are damn good as usual. My game tho, Ugh, on the plus side I seem to play awesome in 1st game, before people get used to my shit. Should bode well for ranking lol.

GGs Crack. You are damn good as usual. My game tho, Ugh, on the plus side I seem to play awesome in 1st game, before people get used to my shit. Should bode well for ranking lol.

Nah, you're good, dude. Aggressive as hell. As soon as you gave Birdie any room to eat donuts and lay traps, you were shooting yourself in the foot. Stay on that guy, and don't jump so much, cMP is a helluva anti-air.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this I guess? I don't think bronze players should expect to win against gold players, but I guess if you factor in the fact that they still lose points, I can kinda see where you're coming from. It's not like they won't get those points back if they deserve them though.

You're completely missing the point. The bronze player should have never gotten matched up against the gold player. The point system was supposed to pool players of similar skill together where they could have a shot of gradually learning and improving. Instead it's turned a noticeably sized contingent of them into rq'ing hoarders or had a few get to a certain rank who then said 'fuck this I'm playing causals' or just turned them away from the game all together. As far as the 'if they deserve the points' thing, I'm not going to get into that. Point's clearly matter to a lot of people.

Nah, you're good, dude. Aggressive as hell. As soon as you gave Birdie any room to eat donuts and lay traps, you were shooting yourself in the foot. Stay on that guy, and don't jump so much, cMP is a helluva anti-air.

His normals are so short man, I feel so disadvantagous on walk in. And even his most basic combo requires me to be within grab range.
I feel I need to wait for the opponent to make a mistake to get in. I wish I knew how edzi makes that stuff work.

His normals are so short man, I feel so disadvantagous on walk in. And even his most basic combo requires me to be within grab range.
I feel I need to wait for the opponent to make a mistake to get in. I wish I knew how edzi makes that stuff work.

Stomp more. They're super frame advantage-y. Dashclaw less, it's super unsafe.

SmokeMaxX

You're completely missing the point. The bronze player should have never gotten matched up against the gold player. The point system was supposed to pool players of similar skill together where they could have a shot of gradually learning and improving. Instead it's turned a noticeably sized contingent of them into rq'ing hoarders or had a few get to a certain rank who then said 'fuck this I'm playing causals' or just turned them away from the game all together. As far as the 'if they deserve the points' thing, I'm not going to get into that. Point's clearly matter to a lot of people.
Is that your interpretation of the point system or Capcom's? Because obviously if that's what Capcom wanted, they wouldn't allow bronze players to play gold players.

If I were Daigo and I got this game late, I'd absolutely hate having to grind through days/weeks of bronze/silver before I could get to gold/platinum.

I think your issue is that you think the league system is broken because it doesn't match your expectations. That's okay. Not every design choice will please everyone. I don't agree that it's broken. I will agree that getting beat down sucks.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Anyone want to run a set? CFN: Sixfortyfive

The bronze player should have never gotten matched up against the gold player.

Matchmaking would take forever if you were locked into playing ONLY other players at your same rank.

I don't even understand why you're complaining about this anyway. The game clearly tries to match players against similar ranked opponents (I get matched with people plus or minus 500 LP from my rank far more than anyone else), but it's no good to sit there and wait forever either.

EDIT: Case in point, the last random match I had:

sf5a.jpg

Working as intended.

SmokeMaxX

Matchmaking would take forever if you were locked into playing ONLY other players at your same rank.

I don't even understand why you're complaining about this anyway. The game clearly tries to match players against similar ranked opponents (I get matched with people plus or minus 500 LP from my rank far more than anyone else), but it's no good to sit there and wait forever either.

I'm busy until Wednesday but I'd love to run sets with you after. You play Mika right? I lose 10-0 free to her (with Birdie).

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Is that your interpretation of the point system or Capcom's? Because obviously if that's what Capcom wanted, they wouldn't allow bronze players to play gold players.

If I were Daigo and I got this game late, I'd absolutely hate having to grind through days/weeks of bronze/silver before I could get to gold/platinum.

I think your issue is that you think the league system is broken because it doesn't match your expectations. That's okay. Not every design choice will please everyone. I don't agree that it's broken. I will agree that getting beat down sucks.

Again. Completely missing the point. If Daigo picked up the game late he wouldn't be getting suck at 1400 lp because he has no concept of -2 being the end of your turn or not knowing footsies or spacing. A good player will get to a high rank in a couple of days. What would he have to grind? You already said 'if you're better you shouldn't be losing'. What I'm saying is that joe schmo who has 3 hours a day free from his job, who got the game because he played a little 3s back in the day and wants to play SF again,or the average CoD player who finally wants to learn a fighting game shouldn't be getting tossed into the shark tank with people who have been playing the game for 25 years.

Getting beaten down is an unavoidable part of the process. Not everyone has the temerity to stick it out when you just learned how to throw a fireball and your 3rd match is against tampa bison hitting you with VTC combos. 1500 lp being matched up against a 4800 lp isnt 'my interpretation' of broken. You know the saying 'you're not in my league'? Yea this is literally that. If those points don't mechanically do the thing they're supposed to do that's just broken period. Furthermore a lot of people aren't interested in steamrolling some poor player who's basically a moving dummy. That isn't 'harsh'. That's stupid.

EDIT: Case in point, the last random match I had:

Working as intended.

Yea, I don't want to be locked into my rank. If nobody in the same range is matchmaking at the same time, just wait around forever? Just give me the lower or higher guy. I just want to play.

Again. Completely missing the point. If Daigo picked up the game late he wouldn't be getting suck at 1400 lp because he has no concept of -2 being the end of your turn or not knowing footsies or spacing. A good player will get to a high rank in a couple of days. What would he have to grind? You already said 'if you're better you shouldn't be losing'. What I'm saying is that joe schmo who has 3 hours a day free from his job, who got the game because he played a little 3s back in the day and wants to play SF again,or the average CoD player who finally wants to learn a fighting game shouldn't be getting tossed into the shark tank with people who have been playing the game for 25 years.

Getting beaten down is an unavoidable part of the process. Not everyone has the temerity to stick it out when you just learned how to throw a fireball and your 3rd match is against tampa bison hitting you with VTC combos. 1500 lp being matched up against a 4800 lp isnt 'my interpretation' of broken. You know the saying 'you're not in my league'? Yea this is literally that. If those points don't mechanically do the thing they're supposed to do that's just broken period. Furthermore a lot of people aren't interested in steamrolling some poor player who's basically a moving dummy. That isn't 'harsh'. That's stupid.

I dunno man, I feel like that person probably shouldn't play ranked then. Plenty of learning can be done in casual matches, they exist for a reason. But that's me, I don't care about points. I don't have any!

Learning to consistently land Chun Li's sbk bnb and instant air legs. Hitting the lab hard. she's such a hard character. I love it!! I feel like I did back when I was learning C. Vipers FFF combo. It's so fucking exciting. I've never loved Chun Li more than I do in this game.

#thegrindstart >:)

synce

Well I give up on Mika. Capcom really fucked up with this character. She's nothing but gimmicks, and when someone figures out the gimmicks you're up shit creek without a paddle. It's a shame everyone has to wait a year before they can make her viable again.

Darkman M

Well I give up on Mika. Capcom really fucked up with this character. She's nothing but gimmicks, and when someone figures out the gimmicks you're up shit creek without a paddle. It's a shame everyone has to wait a year before they can make her viable again.

Weird, watching some pro streams they seem to think she's cheap and overpowered Lol.

Rurunaki

The matchmaking will clear up as soon as the elo wall breaks the Silver barrier. Many players are stuck in Silver and is basically getting matched up with Bronze players. They need to fix the super and ultra silver league as that 1000 lp caters to pretty much the mid to high tier silver players siphoning off each other with the occassional bronze being dragged along screaming. It's a trial by fire, but they could rebalance it to evenly spread out the rankings.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
https://twitter.com/kitsunecass/status/709192352078888960
Why can some moves switch sides on knocked down opponents? I know Chun's back hk can do it, too. You think it's on purpose?

Match-making has a lot of issues but this isn't one of them, PRrog is running the game both on PC and PS4 at the same time with different IDs, getting matched with himself isn't a fault of the match-making, as far as the game sees it, those are two different players.
I know...

No way, watch some pro players with her, she's super dangerous on a high level, too.

ElTopo

Banned

JvQEfRq.gif

Only thing Mika needs is a buff to her V-Skill. I feel like if the V-Skill is buffed to be much more viable than that would force keep-away players to go in more.

On another note; I'm starting to get annoyed with Chun's Instant Air Lightning Legs. It's such an easy way for her to get in, also she can frame trap you with one of her standing normals and then do it. Not to mention that she can easily combo off of it and tick throw. At the very least she's got low health and is forced to use meter to reversal.

I'd like to see a few reasonable nerfs. Take away the 3 frame crouch jab. Also take away Cammy's 3 frame crouch jab. Why do these characters have 3 frame jabs? Reduce some of the plus frame on some of Chun's pokes. If I block Chun's 6HP, I think I should be allowed to jump but she still locks you down. Maybe take away Instant Air Lightning Legs. I wouldn't have a problem with that if she didn't lock you down so easily from a standing normal -without using V-Trigger- and then doing Instant Air Lightning Legs.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I dunno man, I feel like that person probably shouldn't play ranked then. Plenty of learning can be done in casual matches, they exist for a reason. But that's me, I don't care about points. I don't have any!

You're right but a lot of people do care though. Some are exhibiting rather unfortunate behavior because of them.

Renekton

The matchmaking will clear up as soon as the elo wall breaks the Silver barrier. Many players are stuck in Silver and is basically getting matched up with Bronze players. They need to fix the super and ultra silver league as that 1000 lp caters to pretty much the mid to high tier silver players siphoning off each other with the occassional bronze being dragged along screaming. It's a trial by fire, but they could rebalance it to evenly spread out the rankings.
I think it will clear slowly once Capcom implements anti-RQ system, slightly more players join after EVO and the inactive RQers get LP decay.

Sayad

You're mistaking people figuring out your mix-ups for them figuring out the character's "gimmick", which you can't even call gimmicks as she have some solid "you can only guess" mixups.

Someone making the right plays on your mixups isn't exposing gimmicks. Either they were lucky and made the right moves, or your gameplan was too predictable and they could guess what you were gonna do on your mixup.

Just reading up on the DLC we are getting this year and it just popped into my head theres no new stages coming.

What are the chances of getting some new backgrounds to fight in at some point?

Just reading up on the DLC we are getting this year and it just popped into my head theres no new stages coming.

What are the chances of getting some new backgrounds to fight in at some point?

There is probably loads of things they havent revealed yet. Just wait and see. Right now there is more important things that needs attention from developers.. ;)

double low life recovery is such an insult in survival. they should just patch that shit out. dropping frames while another player is in queue sucks too. that messed up two of my runs already. it's devastating mid combo.

Shito

Who can turtle harder? God I hope that's not indicative of what high tier play is going to look like.
Nah, this is indicative of Daigo's playstyle.
Even though I must admit he's one hell of a player, I was never a fan of him because of this -- I find him a bit "boring" to watch. ^^

Spman2099

You should probably just play top tier, dude. Otherwise, I think you are the type of person who is going to talk yourself into believing that every character you play is awful.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Who can turtle harder? God I hope that's not indicative of what high tier play is going to look like.
It came down to the last touch in that one, that's why. Damage output is huge in this game, people will go for the offense if possible. Daigo's first touch in that round did 60% lol

Nah, this is indicative of Daigo's playstyle.
Even though I must admit he's one hell of a player, I was never a fan of him because of this -- I find him a bit "boring" to watch. ^^

If he starts putting those parries to work, I could get hype. Yet to see a ryu really take advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom