• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyun Sai

Against a Chunli played like this, a rushdown Daigo would have lost very quickly. I never saw Daigo as a turtle, just adapting to whatever was in front of him with the tools at his disposal.

When you're playing casual/ranked, you're playing against the character.

When you play lounge/offline, you're playing against the person controlling the character.

Been maining Chun as I love charge characters with good pokes so she's my best bet until Guile comes out, but I feel my execution/reactions aren't anywhere near good enough to use her to her full potential.

I can do cr. lp > st. mp > cr. mk > legs and instant air legs fairly consistently in training but have yet to successfully utilise either in a real match.

I seem to be mainly resorting to turtling, slowly chipping away at them with pokes, punishing with simple cr. mk > legs, and over-relying on EX bird kick to get me out of tricky situations.

Been maining Chun as I love charge characters with good pokes so she's my best bet until Guile comes out, but I feel my execution/reactions aren't anywhere near good enough to use her to her full potential.

I can do cr. lp > st. mp > cr. mk > legs and instant air legs fairly consistently in training but have yet to successfully utilise either in a real match.

I seem to be mainly resorting to turtling, slowly chipping away at them with pokes, punishing with simple cr. mk > legs, and over-relying on EX bird kick to get me out of tricky situations.
Considering Chun has some of the best , if not THE BEST, normals in the game, this is not a bad strategy. I'm saying this as someone who's played against good Chuns, not as a Chun player myself.

Shito

That's normal, and to be honest being able to "slowly chip opponents with pokes" is a more important thing to know than doing combos.
Start slowly forcing yourself to try and go for things you've learnt in training while in real matches, and don't antagonize yourself for failing at them: the more you try, the better you will become.
I know the feeling though, I am a very slow learner, and I need a gazillion matches to start feeling comfortable with all of the tools of my character. ^^

Sometimes it feels like some of y'all are on a fierce competition to get on scrubquotes tbh
We are all scrubs, so that's ok.

Spman2099

Oh crap... I have blood on my hands...

I fought a guy that seemed WAY worse that his rank would suggest. So, halfway through the second round I just started taunting, and playing like a total wad, because I was SURE he was going to RQ. Then he didn't...

Blood on my hands.

Who can turtle harder? God I hope that's not indicative of what high tier play is going to look like.
This was last night's online ranked matches in general for me and without a fireball it gets super boring. Obviously they weren't as good as Daigo, but when Ryu wants to build a wall it's extremely frustrating to win the fight, especially if you have low health. The accumulated chip damage that can turn into real damage off any poke, grab or unlucky fireball really drives that point home.

Oh crap... I have blood on my hands...

I fought a guy that seemed WAY worse that his rank would suggest. So, halfway through the second round I just started taunting, and playing like a total wad, because I was SURE he was going to RQ. Then he didn't...

Blood on my hands.

Yep many decent/good players seem to havent bothered farming lp as they play lobby/casual instead for various reasons.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I tried out a hitbox for the first time a few days ago. Having played a fuck ton of mame on keyboard, it felt alarmingly comfortable.

ElFly

DS4 is a little limiting as Zangief. Mainly due to the buttons (right now I have no MP on a button, instead taken over by the V-skill button; my roundhouse button doubles as the 3K button, for easy access to the V-reversal. It means all my roundhouse running bear grab are now EX, which is the main way I'd use the move anyway, and that I get a jumping knee if I press forward).

But the pad is also a little limiting on the spds; I notice I cannot do a spd from low block on the 2p side, I gotta back up to standing block before I initiate the motion, which isn't a deal breaker but isn't ideal either. Also I think you need more effort to do the classic footsie back and forth with a pad. It is slower with a pad than it'd be with a stick.

Ordered a FC4 which should at least solve the button issue.

DS4 is a little limiting as Zangief. Mainly due to the buttons (right now I have no MP on a button, instead taken over by the V-skill button; my roundhouse button doubles as the 3K button, for easy access to the V-reversal. It means all my roundhouse running bear grab are now EX, which is the main way I'd use the move anyway, and that I get a jumping knee if I press forward).

But the pad is also a little limiting on the spds; I notice I cannot do a spd from low block on the 2p side, I gotta back up to standing block before I initiate the motion, which isn't a deal breaker but isn't ideal either. Also I think you need more effort to do the classic footsie back and forth with a pad.

I have to disagree with all of those things. I have a DS4 and I've never had any issues with Zangief, hell I can consistently do a 720spd off of a cr.lp on both sides(in training, not in real matches). Never had an issue with footsies or movement in general either.

Not saying that you should stick with the DS4. If you don't like it then you don't like it, but it's not the DS4 thats the problem.

ElFly

I have to disagree with all of those things. I have a DS4 and I've never had any issues with Zangief, hell I can consistently do a 720spd off of a cr.lp on both sides(in training, not in real matches). Never had an issue with footsies or movement in general either.

Not saying that you should stick with the DS4. If you don't like it then you don't like it, but it's not the DS4 thats the problem.

I think the pad is giving out, or that I have trouble hitting the diagonals; my execution has actually fallen a little since I started playing regularly, which is crazy times.

I can do a 720 from a cLP, on real matches even, but mostly cause I start from towards, and hit the LP on the way down. On block on the 2P side, however, I find myself jumping if I start from the low block position.

Dunno what's the deal.

I think the pad is giving out, or that I have trouble hitting the diagonals; my execution has actually fallen a little since I started playing regularly, which is crazy times.

I can do a 720 from a cLP, on real matches even, but mostly cause I start from towards, and hit the LP on the way down. On block on the 2P side, however, I find myself jumping if I start from the low block position.

Dunno what's the deal.
Maybe you're just acclimated to doing it on the left side so doing it on the 2p side throws you off? Could be a problem with the controller as you said. Don't really know what to tell you, sorry.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Why do I lose as many points to a silver player as super bronze as they gain? I swear this LP system actually makes zero sense. So sick of getting nothing but silver Ryu player too.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Why do I lose as many points to a silver player as super bronze as they gain? I swear this LP system actually makes zero sense. So sick of getting nothing but silver Ryu player too.
Well if the difference in LP is large, you should lose very little and he should gain very little. If you win, you would gain a lot and he would lose a lot. What's wrong about that?

Sometimes the amounts seem too big, though. 1000LP difference and still 65 points gained/lost seems like a lot.

But the pad is also a little limiting on the spds; I notice I cannot do a spd from low block on the 2p side, I gotta back up to standing block before I initiate the motion, which isn't a deal breaker but isn't ideal either. Also I think you need more effort to do the classic footsie back and forth with a pad. It is slower with a pad than it'd be with a stick.

This is a very strange config. The default gives you access to every button. I didn't have an issue with using my thumb to press both triangle and circle for the V skill.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Well if the difference in LP is large, you should lose very little and he should gain very little. If you win, you would gain a lot and he would lose a lot. What's wrong about that?

Sometimes the amounts seem too big, though. 1000LP difference and still 65 points gained/lost seems like a lot.

Yeah but they're ostensibly higher skilled than me so it stands to reason they should have less gain than my loss, but that isn't the case.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but they're ostensibly higher skilled than me so it stands to reason they should have less gain than my loss, but that isn't the case.
But they do gain less when beating a lesser player. And you lose less. That's what's actually happening.

Hex

Banned
So what's best, dualshock, fight pad or fight stick?

There is no best, there is only what is best for you.
I know that I can not play on a normal pad, though I think I would be ok on something like a Saturn Controller or Fight Pad.
But I switched to stick years ago and never looked back.

ElFly

This is a very strange config. The default gives you access to every button. I didn't have an issue with using my thumb to press both triangle and circle for the V skill.

I'd rather not press two buttons other than for the EX spd and the grabs.

I have a button for PPP and another for V-Trigger.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Thanks for the fights. Hopefully I can be as good some day!

ggs.

Try working on some mix-ups with V-Trigger. If you toss the opponent into the corner, you get an easy 50/50 dash-under with Nadeshiko, and if you're mid-screen, you can get easy pressure. When the opponent is at very low HP, you can do c.HP (blocked) xx V-Trigger and then go for either a low hit or a command throw for a virtually guaranteed kill if they don't have a good reversal.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
But they do gain less when beating a lesser player. And you lose less. That's what's actually happening.

-35 for the super bronze, +35 for the silver. Whereas if I as super bronze beat a bronze I get +35 but they only lose -25. So I'm not following your logic here.

i'm also a gief player using a DS4 and i'm constantly struggling with comboing into v-trigger. For some reason it just seems to be a total fuck weather or not it confirms. Another issue i'm having with the DS4 is that i sometime graze L2 when doing an spd and end up doing a EX Siberian Express instead.

I have also got the FC4 on order can't wait to get that in my hands

ElFly

i'm also a gief player using a DS4 and i'm constantly struggling with comboing into v-trigger. For some reason it just seems to be a total fuck weather or not it confirms. Another issue i'm having with the DS4 is that i sometime graze L2 when doing an spd and end up doing a EX Siberian Express instead.

I have also got the FC4 on order can't wait to get that in my hands

I sometimes graze the screenshot button when SPDing.

If you are doing Siberian Express, maybe SPD the other way around?

Or put a punch on L2.

LakeEarth

The punishment for losing against a Silver player as an Ultra-Silver player is pretty harsh. You could lose like ~90 points with as little as a 600 point difference between the you and your opponent.

Shito

I think it's worth noting again that...

What is up with the servers today? Crazy rollback in every match so far. (Connect is set to 5 only)
... Capcom's servers have no incidence on the matches at all.
Their servers are used to matchmake people, and to update players stats at the end; during a match it's all peer to peer, and thus, only dependant on both parties' connections.

[TOP OF THE PAGE EDIT]
Was this gem posted yet? ^^
https://gfycat.com/UncomfortableGraveAmericanratsnake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom