• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's so little variety in the characters I'm getting to fight online that when I get a Dhalsim or a Birdie I'm at a loss at how to fight these characters.

Sometimes it also seems like the other player is also at a loss on how to play them ;)

Syntsui

Thinking about getting this game soon, and while I am a fighting game noob, I'm excited to try and see if I can learn this game. That being said though, I know it's currently impossible to Arcade VS a CPU, but can you VS a friend locally? Also, has Capcom announced anything further than the fact that they're "looking into" a VS CPU mode? It seems crazy to me that it's not in the game yet.
You can VS a friend and you can VS the CPU on training mode, survival and story mode.

Thinking about getting this game soon, and while I am a fighting game noob, I'm excited to try and see if I can learn this game. That being said though, I know it's currently impossible to Arcade VS a CPU, but can you VS a friend locally? Also, has Capcom announced anything further than the fact that they're "looking into" a VS CPU mode? It seems crazy to me that it's not in the game yet.

VS a friend locally is available and is top tier!

SSReborn

Yeah you can definitely play a friend locally.

Deadstar

As someone who is terrible at fighting games, I am actually winning matches online. In SF4 I'm not sure I ever won a single match. This game is super accessible. The systems make sense and are easy to use.

petghost

Banned

Yeah you can play vs locally. If you wanna play against cpu you can set up the training mode for basically exactly that by just turning on cpu and turning off stuff like replenishing life and meter.

Found this on my Facebook feed:

12799334_10156568666545366_8392077046253234956_n.jpg

Neoxon

I think the legacy of SFIV hurt SFV. SFIV had revisions at what felt like a yearly affair ( I know that's not the case). Personally I was going to wait for a Super Street Fighter V until I heard they didn't plan for it to happen like that.

That, and the initial barebones of the release probably deterred a lot just by word of mouth. Shoulda waited for that Story mode to finish development
Maybe they could have waited until March, but waiting until June wouldn't have ended well for the Capcom Pro Tour. And I don't think a Super version is the solution. If anything, it would make matters worse.

KaYotiX

Banned
I really think the game is going to be fine. The initial sales #'s suck, but the game will gain tons of momentum and have huge legs once the support starts coming in.

Agree, I also see $ rolling in via the store if they keep making good costumes for everyone.

There's so little variety in the characters I'm getting to fight online that when I get a Dhalsim or a Birdie I'm at a loss at how to fight these characters.

Sometimes it also seems like the other player is also at a loss on how to play them ;)

i'm surprised at the lack of Birdies online, pre release I seriously thought he was going to be one of the top used characters due to how much damage he gets from little execution

No_Style

They can't call it 'Super' because it will lead the people who were already on the fence to postpone their purchase and wait for the "complete" 'Ultra' package. They need to reinforce the idea that this is an on-going service and entice players back through other means. Plus, backtracking on what they've said the early on about not releasing "Super Street Fighter V" will make the move sound desperate.

They can call it Street Fighter V: Season 1 like Killer Instinct does and package DLC characters with the base game at a discounted price for $39.99 USD or less.

Eventually (towards the one year mark), I want to see the base game or cut down version of the base game with just a handful of characters go free to eliminate any reason for people not to try the game out. By then there should be a story mode etc.

Whatever they do, I think slapping the word "Super" onto the next disc based release would be a mistake that will be sending the wrong message to onlookers.

petghost

Banned
i'm surprised at the lack of Birdies online, pre release I seriously thought he was going to be one of the top used characters due to how much damage he gets from little execution

Tbh if he had the exact same move set but was some kawaii ass girl he'd be most used character

KingBroly

Banned
They can't call it 'Super' because it will lead the people who were already on the fence to postpone their purchase and wait for the "complete" 'Ultra' package. They need to reinforce the idea that this is an on-going service and entice players back through other means. Plus, backtracking on what they've said the early on about not releasing "Super Street Fighter V" will make the move sound desperate.

They can call it Street Fighter V: Season 1 like Killer Instinct does and package DLC characters with the base game at a discounted price for $39.99 USD or less.

Eventually (towards a year or beyond) the base game or cut down version of the base game with just a handful of characters needs to go free to eliminate any reason for people not to try the game out. By then there should be a story mode etc.

Whatever they do, think slapping the word "Super" onto the next disc based release would be a mistake that will be sending the wrong message to onlookers.

Calling it SF5: Season 1 is just going to get more people wait than a Super Street Fighter 5 would.

And a discounted price would just make all of their additional content look even more overpriced. When it does happen, whatever it's called, it will be $60.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I think over time it will be fine. They just need to keep delivering content on a timely basis, keep the servers up, and stay the course.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Eventually (towards the one year mark), I want to see the base game or cut down version of the base game with just a handful of characters go free to eliminate any reason for people not to try the game out. By then there should be a story mode etc.

Whatever they do, I think slapping the word "Super" onto the next disc based release would be a mistake that will be sending the wrong message to onlookers.
This is the right way of handling things, though I don't think a re-release is necessary, necessarily.

Super is not happening, it only tarnishes their reputation for not delivering further. Pretty much the worst decision they could make.

FluxWaveZ

That was meeee. I need Mika practice if you're still on. Ever since SixFortyFive stomped me in ranked once, obviously with witchcraft, been needing to find out how to properly fight her.

SasaMK5 is the FighterID, trolling ranked right now because I hate fun.

Oh wow, yeah, you were the Cammy I went up against! Sorry, I had stopped playing pretty much immediately after you beat me; I definitely need Cammy experience, though, so I'd like to have a set sometime.

Mediking

The best thing Capcom can do right now for this game is continue to support it and cater to the people who actually bought AND like the game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
If they want people to double dip, they should let them use the same CFN account on both PSN and PC. Not having to buy all that DLC twice over the years will be cool.

Mumford

Yeah you can play vs locally. If you wanna play against cpu you can set up the training mode for basically exactly that by just turning on cpu and turning off stuff like replenishing life and meter.
That's good to know, I didn't know that! Still, with this game's aesthetics being as gorgeous as they are, it's a shame to not be able to VS CPU on seperate stages and all. :(
As someone who is terrible at fighting games, I am actually winning matches online. In SF4 I'm not sure I ever won a single match. This game is super accessible. The systems make sense and are easy to use.
This matches what I've heard and makes me excited to pick it up. It's ironic that this game is supposedly failing sales wise for failing to reach out to casuals despite making design decisions in the name of appealing to casuals.
How sad is it that this was asked? And that it had to be confirmed?
I would say it's sad, but I'd say that's more due to the recent state of gaming as a whole rather than anything SFV related. Halo 5 taking out splitscreen really threw me for a loop, and I figured anything was possible knowing that theres not just a standard offline CPU VS mode in SFV apparently.
Thank you also to SSRborn, Boogalogist, and Syntsui for your replies!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Hard survival beaten. FUCK YOU EVERYBODY gimme dem Ken colors.

And no medium SRK cheese bullshit. I did it the legit way. Knock them down and then jump in and cross up over and over again until they are dead. Can't wait to take my new champion skills online.

FluxWaveZ

And Street Fighter V's sales, of course, irritate me a great deal. The whole launch does. They focused too hard on the core/tournament players for this game and released an incomplete mess that worked terribly after several beta tests.

A lesser playerbase than it could have had. A less glamorous launch than it could have had. Potentially less long-time support than it could have had. The way it is now, it absolutely should not have been a full priced game. Hell, I always thought there should have been a F2P version of it released at launch.

I hope things go well for SFV in the future because, obviously, I'm invested in it. But I am not bullish on its prospects. I keep thinking about how Riot Games bought Raidant Entertainment and imagining a situation where they 100% pull off what SFV wanted to do and make a really cool game with a huge playerbase.

Tirael

I would say it's sad, but I'd say that's more due to the recent state of gaming as a whole rather than anything SFV related. Halo 5 taking out splitscreen really threw me for a loop, and I figured anything was possible knowing that theres not just a standard offline CPU VS mode in SFV apparently.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. They're missing modes and features that are just a given with fighting games. I thought you were referring more to that, but I see what you mean.

BiggNife

I think SFV will probably recover to some extent once it has all of the content its supposed to, around June or so.

I dunno, I'm just tired of all of the gloom and doom. I think going "whelp, street fighter is fucked forever" is a bit premature.

Tirael

I'll be bitterly disappointed if Balrog isn't a charge character :(

Absolutely not. Dudley is the motion boxer, Balrog is the charge boxer. That's how it is, and that's how it should always be.

I think SFV will probably recover to some extent once it has all of the content its supposed to, around June or so.

I dunno, I'm just tired of all of the gloom and doom. I think going "whelp, street fighter is fucked forever" is a bit premature.

I agree with you a hundred percent. And there's no way they're just going to drop it. What is this, Marvel vs. Capcom?

Skilletor

I don't think you only sell 200k on PS4 because of missing content. First day sales should have been more than that. That's way low for a franchise like SF.

Super sad. I think the series is dead now and this is shaping up to be my favorite SF ever.

At least I'm getting my favorite characters in the first batch. :/

BiggNife

I don't think you only sell 200k on PS4 because of missing content. First day sales should have been more than that. That's way low for a franchise like SF.

Super sad. I think the series is dead now and this is shaping up to be my favorite SF ever.

But then how did this happen? There was a lot of hype pre release, and then no one bought it. That, to me, says a lot of people bailed after they realized how bare bones it was.

FluxWaveZ

I think the big reason was absolutely the lack of content. Right now, it's a FULL priced game with practically nothing. No Arcade mode, even. Just online, with 2-player lobbies and a suck ass Survival mode. Oh, and Training mode.

Games like SSB and MK—and even Naruto—can sell a bunch of copies to casual players, who make up the majority of sales, because they actually have a bunch of single player content for them to dive into. There's none of that in SFV at this moment.

Edit: Not to mention the whole Fight Money and currency element operates like a F2P game... in a full priced title. It's not a good look.

Pompadour

Calling it SF5: Season 1 is just going to get more people wait than a Super Street Fighter 5 would.

And a discounted price would just make all of their additional content look even more overpriced. When it does happen, whatever it's called, it will be $60.

Calling it Super Street Fighter 5 will do the same thing. How many posts do you think will be made if Capcom announces a "Super" version which just reads "capcpom gonna capcpom"? There's still plenty of people here alone that think Capcom is just going to release a new version that completely invalidates the old one like they're Arc System Works or something.

Frankly, I don't what's the best way to fix this but releasing a "SFV: Season 1" at least lets you know that you aren't jumping into a dead game whereas releasing a "Super SFV" signals to the consumer that this could happen again and your game could soon be useless.

I think the big reason was absolutely the lack of content. Right now, it's a FULL priced game with practically nothing. No Arcade mode, even. Just online, with 2-player lobbies and a suck ass Survival mode. Oh, and Training mode.

Games like SSB and MK—and even Naruto—can sell a bunch of copies to casual players, who make up the majority of sales, because they actually have a bunch of single player content for them to dive into. There's none of that in SFV at this moment.

I don't think the lack of single player content can explain that low of sales. I don't think people were very interested in Street Fighter V to begin with. Fighting games are a niche genre and if you're not Smash or MK you aren't going to do that well. I don't care how well SF2 did or how well SF4, which rode SF2 nostalgia to success, sold. And when are casual players super informed about the games they buy anyway? If you went on launch reviews then Street Fighter was reviewed pretty well. The backlash to the lack of content happened a day or so later. Those people never bought the game to begin with.

KingBroly

Banned
Capcom needs to get some of this content out the door already so they can have something for players to do besides Survival and Online.

The Trials and Tutorials would be great.

As would Versus CPU offline, but clearly Capcom can't transfer over their in-store demo tech to retail for some reason :\

As for the Shop: Characters, Colors, Titles, Stages, Fighter Profiles and Costumes

Hard survival beaten. FUCK YOU EVERYBODY gimme dem Ken colors.

And no medium SRK cheese bullshit. I did it the legit way. Knock them down and then jump in and cross up over and over again until they are dead. Can't wait to take my new champion skills online.

You aren't ready for online until you beat hell.

Slaythe

If twitch made stardew valley sell 400k, be sure SFV will have a second life as soonas it gets more free content. Including this march patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom