• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

I don't think the lack of single player content can explain that low of sales. I don't think people were very interested in Street Fighter V to begin with. Fighting games are a niche genre and if you're not Smash or MK you aren't going to do that well. I don't care how well SF2 did or how well SF4, which rode SF2 nostalgia to success, sold. And when are casual players super informed about the games they buy anyway? If you went on launch reviews then Street Fighter was reviewed pretty well. The backlash to the lack of content happened a day or so later. Those people never bought the game to begin with.

How does that explain Street Fighter IV's initial sale numbers? It was significanlt more successful than SFV when it first came out. I disagree that casual consumers these days would just buy the game because it says "Street Fighter" without knowing much about it. They look at reviews—which were poor because of lack of content—they watch YouTube videos and pay attention to the buzz—which was poor because of lack of content and a mess of an online system—they read up on what the game actually contains... The MC score right now is 75-77. I remember a bunch of middling scores when SFV first came out; I wouldn't say that's "pretty well."

Mortal Kombat has become a much bigger name because NRS actually fill their games with a ton of compelling single player content. Along with tools that ease in casual players to be more competitive. Capcom never puts in that kind of effort, so they have lagged behind along with the SF brand.

I mean, even SFxT sold more initially than SFV, from these reports. The attitude of "there's nothing they could have done differently to improve sales" is fallacious.

Like, I can say with 100% confidence that there would have been a ton of more copies sold if this wasn't a full priced game. There'd be an even more active playerbase if this had been fully designed as a F2P title.

ElFly

Kind of worried about the balance on the DLC characters.

The betas saw a LOT of balancing, and now we have these guys coming fresh into the game. They kind of lucked out that FANG didn't come out broken, but you could say he may be a smidge underpowered?

Maybe we will see a rebalance patch after they all are launched.

Mizerman

Mortal Kombat has become a much bigger name because NRS actually fill their games with a ton of compelling single player content. Along with tools that ease in casual players to be more competitive. Capcom never puts in that kind of effort, so they have lagged behind along with the SF brand.

As a casual player, I think it says something to me when I look at MKX/XL and realized...it has nothing for me to stick around at the moment. I mean I see all this single player stuff and I'm like "meh." Even the DLC characters couldn't get me hyped up.

How does that explain Street Fighter IV's initial sale numbers? It was significanlt more successful than SFV when it first came out.

SFIV's launch was an event. After going 10 years without an SF title, the hype was insane. I remember lining up at gamestop hoping I could grab a copy without a preorder (I just barely managed to). It was a completely different thing than now.

FluxWaveZ

SFIV's launch was an event. After going 10 years without an SF title, the hype was insane. I remember lining up at gamestop hoping I could grab a copy without a preorder (I just barely managed to). I was a completely different thing than now.

Touted as the revival of fighting games, sure. But I certainly feel like SFV's launch could have been more of an event than what happened now.

Touted as the revival of fighting games, sure. But I certainly feel like SFV's launch could have been more of an event than what happened now.

It is a bit odd. Even more so is I think that even if i did have enough single player content, it wouldn't have done much better for some reason.

Csr

SFIV's launch was an event. After going 10 years without an SF title, the hype was insane. I remember lining up at gamestop hoping I could grab a copy without a preorder (I just barely managed to). It was a completely different thing than now.

Even SFxT had more sales and that came after sfiv.
The problems with sfxt though also had an impact on sfv sales imo and capcoms marketing did nothing to help the situation.

It is a bit odd. Even more so is I think that even if i did have enough single player content, it wouldn't have done much better for some reason.

To be honest, that's kinda how I feel now. Like it would've done better with more SP content, but would 1.5 more million people have bought it if it had the story mode or reviewed better? Idk about that.

Femto.

I'm not sure if WOM about the game's lack of content started before release but one of the GameStops here in SoCal I went to for the early launch only had about 12 dudes in line for the game.

Even SFxT had more sales and that came after sfiv.
The problems with sfxt though also had an impact on sfv sales imo and capcoms marketing did nothing to help the situation.

Just SFxT on ps3 or all releases? Also what were the consoles at when the game released? Seems like a harsh comparison not looking at the numbers or anything.

Spman2099

Guys, it isn't a secret why SFV has had such a shit start...

They launched it bare bones. We know why they did it, but that doesn't change the fact that it ended up being an awful move. From there people got carried away and made Street Fighter V the poster boy for bad business practices in gaming.

This isn't over yet, though. Very soon the game will have significantly more content. In a month and a bit it will have even more. They can make additional pushes at the point and this game may have a chance of getting a second, third, and fourth wind down the line.

Having a bad start doesn't mean it will have a bad end.

Pompadour

How does that explain Street Fighter IV's initial sale numbers? It was significanlt more successful than SFV when it first came out. I disagree that casual consumers these days would just buy the game because it says "Street Fighter" without knowing much about it. They look at reviews—which were poor because of lack of content—they watch YouTube videos and pay attention to the buzz—which was poor because of lack of content and a mess of an online system—they read up on what the game actually contains... The MC score right now is 75-77. I remember a bunch of middling scores when SFV first came out; I wouldn't say that's "pretty well."

I mean, even SFxT sold more initially than SFV, from these reports. The attitude of "there's nothing they could have done differently to improve sales" is fallacious.

Like, I can say with 100% confidence that there would have been a ton of more copies sold if this wasn't a full priced game. There'd be an even more active playerbase if this had been fully designed as a F2P title.

SFIV's initial sales numbers were great because it was the first entry in a decade for a legendary series. Then all the casual players left because they realized they don't actually like Street Fighter as much as they did when they last played at the age of eight. So when a new Street Fighter comes around that itch has been scratched for that demographic so they aren't going to buy it out of curiosity or nostalgia.

SFxT isn't a great example because it had an astronomical amount of content and sold poorly. It also had a way bigger advertising campaign than Street Fighter V did and it sold poorly. People weren't buying what it was selling.

Your last point I agree with partially. I think SFV was designed to inevitably be a F2P game. The issue with F2P fighting games is that a fighter that launches with 6 characters isn't yet a very good fighting game. So here they designed what could constitute the barest of packages for a competitive fighting game by including 16 characters. I think they wanted to eat their cake and have it too so they sold a barebones fighting game $60 with the full intention of selling this game like a F2P game down the line.

Plus, it does hurt your brand when you start selling your game like discount titles when the general opinion of your franchise is that it's one of the biggest names in gaming, period. The only reason SFV is getting 90 threads on NeoGAF is because of the series' reputation. If they kept pumping out a new Street Fighter every 3 years like other franchises then people would have acclimated to what Street Fighter currently is, lower sales and all, and wouldn't keep comparing it to SF2 or SF4/SF2 Part 2.

I think Capcom realizes all of this which is why they were very reluctant to release Street Fighter V at all despite the consensus that not releasing a sequel to one of your best selling franchises is crazy. They foresaw that the only way SF was going to exist is by focusing on the eSports aspect and trying to make their buck off of DLC over a long period of time. I think they're just surprised that the initial sales were so low, although they haven't commented on the success of the game whatsoever, because they pegged anticipated worldwide sales at 2m.

JayEH

SFV felt kinda limp with marketing in general. This is SF, should be an event but it felt so quiet. Guess Capcom didn't want to go all out after the SF x T fiasco.

Edzi

To be honest, that's kinda how I feel now. Like it would've done better with more SP content, but would 1.5 more million people have bought it if it had the story mode or reviewed better? Idk about that.

I don't think sp modes would have helped it as much as some people are saying. I feel like the sad truth is that a fighting game like SF just doesn't appeal to casual gamers anymore, and sf4 just happened to come out at a perfect time where people were missing the genre.

I think SFs future is going to depend on how well the push into esports goes, so hopefully they don't screw that up.

Guys, it isn't a secret why SFV has had such a shit start...

They launched it bare bones. We know why they did it, but that doesn't change the fact that it ended up being an awful move. From there people got carried away and made Street Fighter V the poster boy for bad business practices in gaming.

This isn't over yet, though. Very soon the game will have significantly more content. In a month and a bit it will have even more. They can make additional pushes at the point and this game may have a chance of getting a second, third, and fourth wind down the line.

Having a bad start doesn't mean it will have a bad end.

That's true. All Capcom needs to do now is to deliver on its timelines, leverage their partnership with Sony and maybe ramp up the dlc items at their store.

Fighting games were in a huge recession prior to SF4 reviving the market. It wasn't just SF, it was a whole genre. You're not gonna be able to replicate that, especially not when you had 8 years of SF4 selling fairly well throughout across multiple iterations.

SFV is going to be fine. It has a built-in year long marketing machine with constant updates which should ensure it makes some money off the backs of the FGC for a few years. The initial numbers are scary, but to be expected.

Mizerman

Yeah, I don't think it would've made much of a difference even with Arcade mode or that cinematic story thing. As long as it didn't have nearly the amount of SP content that MK has, plus with the whole "oh, I'm not gonna get it until Super/Ultra/Hyper/OverLimit version" mentality left over from before and SFxT's reception, I don't think a lot of people were gonna run and get a SF game.

SFV felt kinda limp with marketing in general. This is SF, should be an event but it felt so quiet. Guess Capcom didn't want to go all out after the SF x T fiasco.
I was waiting for that FGC/inspirational/competition commercial during the Super Bowl but it never happened for some reason. It would have been beyond perfect.

Pompadour

Way, way before launch I was suspecting SFV wasn't going to sell like hotcakes and that they were attempting to transition their business model to the MOBA model in hopes that it could do well that way. Even disregarding the lack of SP content, there's a lot of aspects in the game that seem low budget like all the development money was poured into the base gameplay and the fighter's models/animation. When I noticed there wasn't a bunch of beautiful CG trailers being released like there were for SF4/xT that confirmed to me that this game had a much smaller budget than those games.

Hex

Banned
I think part of the problem is people are trained to wait for Super Ultra versions.
The need to find a way to let people know that they do not need to wait.
Even still I think that this sales talk is dumb.

kirblar

I think part of the problem is people are trained to wait for Super Ultra versions.
The need to find a way to let people know that they do not need to wait.
Even still I think that this sales talk is dumb.
Just add V-Trigger II w/ Season 2 and call it Super Street Fighter 5.

Csr

Just SFxT on ps3 or all releases? Also what were the consoles at when the game released? Seems like a harsh comparison not looking at the numbers or anything.

Sure a direct comparison would be better with exact numbers, which i am unable to find so far, but SFxT is not a mainline game and is using the same graphics engine as sfiv.
Even with the game being on 2 platforms (both very healthy and with big userbase platforms) instead of 3 i can't see how sales for sfv shouldn't be expected to be alot better than sfxt's.
Even capcom thought sfv would sell 2m, although how they had that expectation with how they shipped and marketed the game is a mystery to me.

Durden77

They will almost certainly release a "Super" version of this game at some point. Especially if they truly plan on supporting this game for 7-8 years.

And I would have no problem with it. If they released a Super Street Fighter 5 next year that included all of the season 1 characters and gave the game much more solid out-of-the-gate legs to stand on than it's intial launch that helps the game get into more people's hand and grow more, I'm fine with it. As long as I get my free updates, which I will.

Mizerman

Sure a direct comparison would be better with exact numbers, which i am unable to find so far, but SFxT is not a mainline game and is using the same graphics engine as sfiv.
Even with the game being on 2 platforms (both very healthy and with big userbase platforms) instead of 3 i can't see how sales for sfv shouldn't be expected to be alot better than sfxt's.
Even capcom thought sfv would sell 2m, although how they had that expectation with how they shipped and marketed the game is a mystery to me.

Even though SFxT wasn't meant to be an mainline game, they were pushing the hell out of it. Especially with that Cross Assault Fiasco.

As long as MK stands tall (with how it's marketed and whatnot), SF and the other fighters will never have the casual base fully on their side.

Yo Omni! I'm itching to get in a few sets sometime this weekend. You in?
yea I'll be on this weekend...

It would have sold more, can't put a number to it, but SFV releasing with 9's and 10's a couple commercials and good word of mouth would have increased sales, with how it was launched its almost like Capcom doesn't care though. Maybe June and July really is the marketing campaign for the title around Evo. Maybe the game really is designed to go free to play. Maybe they will literally release a new version at retail every single year. Not sure what Capcom was doing, I just hope all the PR isn't just Pr. Because the foundation is good, great even, and I can just imagine how amazing the game will be with constant updates. Graphical updates, new characters, levels, costumes, items, modes, gameplay tweaks, ESL. Sky is the limit

I don't think sp modes would have helped it as much as some people are saying. I feel like the sad truth is that a fighting game like SF just doesn't appeal to casual gamers anymore, and sf4 just happened to come out at a perfect time where people were missing the genre.

I think SFs future is going to depend on how well the push into esports goes, so hopefully they don't screw that up.

The Twitch numbers are already pretty strong with it. A non Capcom major tourney managed to get 50k viewers, so I imagine during events like Final Round there's gonna be a lot of buzz surrounding it. As long as SFV doesn't go away, I think it'll have a strong long tail, especially if it can make the impact into esports that people believed it would.

There is no shortage of ads around the game at least on TV. Commercials air fairly frequently on ESPN games, NBA on TNT, WWE RAW, and the Toonami block on Cartoon Network, each of which pull in a lot of viewers.

Csr

Even though SFxT wasn't meant to be an mainline game, they were pushing the hell out of it. Especially with that Cross Assault Fiasco.

As long as MK stands tall (with how it's marketed and whatnot), SF and the other fighters will never have the casual base fully on their side.

The post i originally quoted was saying that sfiv sold well because the launch was a fighting game revival of sorts and SFV wasn't. SfxT and MK doing better (in MK's case a lot better) than sfv sales wise shows that there are a lot more reasons than that why the game underperformed, marketing being one of them.

Xeteh

The Twitch numbers are already pretty strong with it. A non Capcom major tourney managed to get 50k viewers, so I imagine during events like Final Round there's gonna be a lot of buzz surrounding it. As long as SFV doesn't go away, I think it'll have a strong long tail, especially if it can make the impact into esports that people believed it would.

I'm really curious to see what the numbers are for Evo. SF4 was still moving up each year, should be interesting.

Mizerman

The post i originally quoted was saying that sfiv sold well because the launch was a fighting game revival of sorts and SFV wasn't. SfxT and MK doing better (in MK's case a lot better) than sfv sales wise shows that there are a lot more reasons than that why the game underperformed, marketing being one of them.

I don't disagree with you.

Feels good to snuff Cammy stuff so much they're scared to utilize their V-Skill when they have meter. Feels even better to not make the mistakes I have made in the past in certain pressure situations. Feels real good.

That and Capcom had Player Bribery language for IV's release whereas V didn't (it was 2008, a barbaric, savage time in our gaming lives).

It's probably going to be 3ed and more people will "get" it later when it's a bigger value, but the demand for Player Bribery will push that off into the future a good ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom