• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

God's Beard!";198359903][URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWYs8zPRwBM said:
Messing with gief a bit, any tips?[/URL]

Just started learning him more seriously as a back up for Necalli.

Keep bodying Ksabot

Hustler

Seems like yesterday was "Good Day" day.
After teetering on the edge of super bronze, I managed to win 5 out of 8 matches and give myself a buffer again. Play felt calm and collected, and even beat characters I usually have trouble with (Bison loves doing his blockstrings over and over, not realising scissor kick isn't safe on block, while Karin just loves her buttons and forgets that other characters have some good ones, too).

On a bad day, laggy matches can really mess me up and make me feel salty. Sometimes even a 5 bar is a teleport fest, while a 1 bar is silky smooth (both from the same region). It's pretty inconsistent, but gotta make the most of what you get.

I've had quite a bit of trouble with Karin and Bison. I'm finally seeing their combos slow down and know what to expect. Karin and her bnb cross ups don't get me as easily as they used to and they're easily punished. I stopped trying to do wake up anything against Karin, just mainly block looking for the LP or dash away/neutral jump.

I don't have nearly as many teleporting matches now that I turn on ask before accepting a game on fight request, best feature. If you don't have it turned on, I highly suggest it.

The wife insisted that I buy this game so I caved and here I am, lol. I quite like fighting online but I was waiting for a more fleshed out single player (on top of always liking the SP mode, I like to keep my hands warm while waiting for fight request). But I relented and I have to admit that what IS here is pretty damn fun. I'm getting hit up pretty badly but I've won some too and it really does feel like being a kid again playing in the arcade on Canal St. in New Orleans 😊

My SFV name is jaypah, same as my GAF name. I bought it on Steam but I don't think it matters.

Anyway, I have a question for you gals and guys: Is there any way to select your fighter upon fight request, or do you have to roll with the character that you choose as your favorite? Thanks in advance for the info and hopefully the fight requests.

Welcome back!

No, you can't choose character in Casual or Rank match. You can choose in Battle Lounge. I like this system as the game doesn't waste time loading the character select screen.

if your saving meter for ex dp's, why not just grab on the stomps?

It's a pretty short range grab, you need to dash. Trouble is most people are looking for their way in on the stomp. So, I either try to beat them out(which somtimes works with m stomp), continue more blockstring, or block.

I thought his HP also had invulnerable frames.

Also in your video, you got hit by a random super twice. After the first time, you should've been looking out for it. Not that I haven't gotten hit by two random super in the same match, but it's still good advice to peak at the meters when you get a knockdown pressure opportunity.

The second one was actually inserted between a dropped combo(I have to train myself to stop buffering inputs). Though, I didn't realize he had the meter I have to admit.

Man.

I successfully avoided tilting myself but I tanked HARD today. Some good matches, no lie. But so choppy, dropped inputs all up and down. I'd worry it's me but my traffic is solid.

To the Rashid the game disconnected on; you were kicking my ass, bro, but that wasn't a Rage Quit. Somehow, I know you'll find this message~~~*

youtube.com/watch?v=UAq94gy4hqg

My last silver win. Any one want to critique? I promise this is a pretty weird one, at least by my standards.

You can dash or walk under moonsault to punish it, he's at advantage on block after it (+1 on MK, +2 on HK)which is why he'd just go for a blockstring/ throw mixup. But I think you might know that already since you didn't get counterhit after so you weren't pressing buttons. You should also anti air more, use HP DP or st.LP. I get that you want to save meter for the EX DP and use it to escape pressure because it's 3 frame startup compared to HPs 8. But you should really just not risk it and block as a general rule of thumb, it's really not worth the risk most of the time. I like to save necallis meter to cancel into EX stomp on light hitconfirms or after a punish taht wouldn't leave me in the corner if I ended in disc because you get a mixup opportunity after it, you're at frame advantage so you could low foward if you know the opponent is going to press something to get a counterhit, or you could EX grab if you hold the buffered input from grab and walk slightly forward. tick throw, bait a reversal. It's just a good position to be in.
The big thing that would have helped is going under his moonsaults because he did like 3 in the first round.

jaypah

Welcome back!

No, you can't choose character in Casual or Rank match. You can choose in Battle Lounge. I like this system as the game doesn't waste time loading the character select screen.

Thank you for the answer! I can dig the aspect of getting into a fight quicker and it was the only possible reason that I could come up with so I'm also glad that I was on the right track.

This game is really hitting that "frustrating but fun" impulse in my brain that arcade SF used to give me. I shitted on this game (and I still want as much SP content as possible) but I've been standing here with my fightstick, just drinking beer and puffing, playing through the story mode and taking fight requests. I've had a big dumb-ass smile on my face the whole time 😆

Which high-level Claws should I be learning from? I feel like claw-mode should allow him to combo a mp or mk (standing or crouching) into a special move to make him competitive against a lot of the cast. I also need a dependable anti-air / reversible or else I can see myself maining Karin or Nash instead.

Pr rog has a sick vega. Floe too.

I'll do a write up on claw for you in a hour.

He has bad and good .

LakeEarth

The second one was actually inserted between a dropped combo(I have to train myself to stop buffering inputs). Though, I didn't realize he had the meter I have to admit.

You're right. But sometimes its a good idea to stop a combo at a tough link to bait a reversal. I usually do this against shotos and grapplers, but it was more prominent in Street Fighter 4 and its gigantic reversal window.

Sim is difficult to fight.

I sincerely don't have a plan against him as Mika. I just go bananas, everything he has keeps me out. He can Yoga Flame all day if he wants. I end up eating hits specifically to move closer and get in range before he ports.

Not suggesting that's how it's done but man. I haven't figured it out yet.

Zissou

You're right. But sometimes its a good idea to stop a combo at a tough link to bait a reversal. I usually do this against shotos and grapplers, but it was more prominent in Street Fighter 4 and its gigantic reversal window.

Isn't the reversal window (almost?) the same in SFV?

You can dash or walk under moonsault to punish it, he's at advantage on block after it (+1 on MK, +2 on HK)which is why he'd just go for a blockstring/ throw mixup. But I think you might know that already since you didn't get counterhit after so you weren't pressing buttons. You should also anti air more, use HP DP or st.LP. I get that you want to save meter for the EX DP and use it to escape pressure because it's 3 frame startup compared to HPs 8. But you should really just not risk it and block as a general rule of thumb, it's really not worth the risk most of the time. I like to save necallis meter to cancel into EX stomp on light hitconfirms or after a punish taht wouldn't leave me in the corner if I ended in disc because you get a mixup opportunity after it, you're at frame advantage so you could low foward if you know the opponent is going to press something to get a counterhit, or you could EX grab if you hold the buffered input from grab and walk slightly forward. tick throw, bait a reversal. It's just a good position to be in.
The big thing that would have helped is going under his moonsaults because he did like 3 in the first round.

That is interesting. I admit stomping is my favorite part of playing Necalli, I don' know why I cut it so much out of my game. Maybe more v reversals instead of dp are a good idea, the white damage really makes it seem more worthwhile.

Isn't the reversal window (almost?) the same in SFV?

Yeah, but people aren't dropping combos as much without as many 1 frame links I bet.

Trouble is, that isn't a tough link, I just need to get better. Maybe its time to hit suvival again, input it a 1000 times.

Renekton

Laura's wakeup defense seems like bottom of the cast?

I should stick to Ryu main for another 100 games before thinking about training another alt. Too many missing fundamentals atm.

3 hours in and this game netcode is fucking weird, many times it looks like players are going to jump over me or cross up and they fall in front of my face and i adjust to what i think is going to happen and get rekt..

FluxWaveZ

Laura's wakeup defense seems like bottom of the cast?

Laura's is better than Mika's, actually. Her EX elbow thing is at least fast enough and has longer armor for her to use as a semi-reliable reversal. Mika doesn't have anything like that.

Also, I'll play someone, if anyone's available.

Went from 5.5k LP to 4.7k LP this morning, and now I'm back to 5.5k. Gotta relax sometimes when I know I'm not feeling it.

Ferrio

Banned
Laura's is better than Mika's, actually. Her EX elbow thing is at least fast enough and has longer armor for her to use as a semi-reliable reversal. Mika doesn't have anything like that.

Laura's armor move is useless as a reversal on wakeup, it doesn't have armor till the 3rd frame.

Renekton

Mika with meter seems better on paper, with rekka and throw-inv command grab.

Laura doesn't have throw-inv command grab and her EX bolt armor doesn't start until few frames in.

Edit: oops so Mika's rekka also no armor on start?

EX Peach also has a much,much better hitbox

Laura's wakeup options are a joke. Why does EX command grab work the way it doessss fix this shit Combofiend

FluxWaveZ

Mika with meter seems better on paper, with rekka and throw-inv command grab.

Laura doesn't have throw-inv command grab and her EX bolt armor doesn't start until few frames in.

Hm, I see. I feel like I'm more scared of Laura's when they're knocked down than Mikas, but maybe I was just overestimating her options. So many times I've tried pulling an attack on a Laura waking up only to get hit by the EX elbow.

3rd as well

Thanks.

Hm, I see. I feel like I'm more scared of Laura's when they're knocked down than Mikas, but maybe I was just overestimating her options. So many times I've tried pulling an attack on a Laura waking up only to get hit by the EX elbow.
EX Elbow is only good as an wakeup option to actually escape a jump in, otherwise you have no reason to respect her, not even if she has full meter

Ferrio

Banned

She's totally free on wake-up, abuse it. Only thing she can pop you with is her CA and even that's avoidable on super flash. Anything else means you mistimed your meaty.

Thank you for the answer! I can dig the aspect of getting into a fight quicker and it was the only possible reason that I could come up with so I'm also glad that I was on the right track.

This game is really hitting that "frustrating but fun" impulse in my brain that arcade SF used to give me. I shitted on this game (and I still want as much SP content as possible) but I've been standing here with my fightstick, just drinking beer and puffing, playing through the story mode and taking fight requests. I've had a big dumb-ass smile on my face the whole time 😆
you jumped in at a good time. Try to do story mode and easy survival with all characters, that'll give you more than enough fight money for Alex coming before the month is out. Tutorials and trials for all characters and hopefully daily challenges on the way as well.

tariniel

Looking to either practice getting better with my Bison (2000 lp), or to try to learn how to play Ryu. Fighter ID: rAyjis

If you want to help me learn Ryu, know that I haven't really ever played him before, or any character with a fireball. I will get rolled. Actually I'll probably get rolled on Bison too.

Edgeward

OH that's new to know Laura doesn't have armor on start-up. Changes the approach for sure. Got hit with too many ex elbows on wakeup to think otherwise

She's totally free on wake-up, abuse it. Only thing she can pop you with is her CA and even that's avoidable on super flash. Anything else means you mistimed your meaty.

That EX elbow starts up in 14f, you can't even mistime a throw. You should still be able to throw her if you were off by a little. If you play a character with a 2 hit normal, that will easily blow up Laura's armor to. She's very free on wake up. If you knock her down, don't let her breath.

Josh5890

After 112 matches, and some really really bad losing streaks I have finally been promoted to Bronze! This is the greatest moment of my Street Fighter career! I have never been more proud of myself!
I should retire while I'm ahead lol

Looking to either practice getting better with my Bison (2000 lp), or to try to learn how to play Ryu. Fighter ID: rAyjis

If you want to help me learn Ryu, know that I haven't really ever played him before, or any character with a fireball. I will get rolled. Actually I'll probably get rolled on Bison too.

I'd love some Bison practice. East US U bronze here. Care for an invite ?

FluxWaveZ

CHUN-LI

4 Gold Chun-Lis in a row, 4 losses in a row. Why are her limbs so crazy; it's so hard to get in as Mika.

Edit: Make that 5 in a row, 5 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom