• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT3| Frauds Among Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeemer

Rashid's definitely the easiest to do, IMO.

One thing I did though was I always set a button to do nothing because the AI reads it instead of stuff that does something :p Really helpful for getting out of the corner.

I'm a rashid main and i've gotten to 49 once before but died. Any tips for rashid?

Does anyone know why this happens sometimes?

gifgkr20.gif

I'm the Karin anti-airing Ryu and then dashing. But I'm turned around so my meaty whiffs...
Hard to tell with the framerate of that .gif being bad, but it looks to me like you're going for the meaty too soon if this happens. Aside from the crouching normal moving you forward, Karin seems to be already recovering (or about to) before Ryu even lands.

Replays can be moved frame-by-frame for reference, so that'll help you in examining where it went wrong.

The downside of crossplay.
The downside of crossplay is Capcom not having the foresight of incorporating an in-game message system.

I sincerely don't have a plan against him as Mika. I just go bananas, everything he has keeps me out. He can Yoga Flame all day if he wants. I end up eating hits specifically to move closer and get in range before he ports.

Not suggesting that's how it's done but man. I haven't figured it out yet.
Counter-poking and whiff punishing are two (of several) crucial pillars in your strategy against any half-decent Dhalsim:

rebkpx.gif

These are not Mika's only options, but treat it like an exaggerated form of footsies. Playing the grounded game is also important against a Dhalsim with a knack for anti-airing, especially as a character oriented around command grabs, because his ability to control the air space (be it on the ground or via V-Skill) is potent in Street Fighter V. Jumping willy-nilly does nothing but remove options on how to approach him, so do it in a timely manner as a mix-up once you conditioned him during the neutral game. Patiently walking forward, as well as timely dashes when he throws a non-EX fireball, will suffice in working him towards the corner without expending your own meter where his options (universal of a rule this may be) are severely limited. Practice jabbing his instant-air teleports on-reaction, because doing so successfully means he puts himself in a 50/50 without any prior set-ups. Especially now that even reversal teleports can be grabbed during its start-up frames. Other normals are also plenty fast to achieve the same result, but jab is the safest until you're more comfortable with this. Slides and drills are mad unsafe without near-perfect spacing, sometimes even on-hit, so be mindful of this glaring vulnerability.

Lastly, multiple characters can do the following so examine if Mika's is fast enough for this too:

fkjrgw.gif

If you still need more information about Dhalsim, I've written an extensive post over in the Newbie thread detailing his strengths and weaknesses to help clear up any confusion.

Sayad

Does anyone know why this happens sometimes?

gifgkr20.gif

I'm the Karin anti-airing Ryu and then dashing. But I'm turned around so my meaty whiffs...
When you dashed under, you crossed under Ryu:
AEUL0ba.png

At this point, any attack you press will come out facing left, you have to wait a little bit until Ryu go past you so your attack would be facing the right side.

jtar86

How did you even managed to hide something so big on your desk?
I have a shelf that holds my monitor at eye level and it slid under there perfectly. Almost looks like it was custom made for it. My wife would have legit never noticed but my kids are always poking around my desk to see if I have any new games. Im suprised they knew that stick wasn't my old one honestly.

Zissou

Eh the s.HP will stuff you from jumping forwards.

Edit:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...-cpt-changes-and-more-exclusive-eh-interview/

Phenom has some beef with MP and MK.

I agree with part a lot:
For example, while you're looking for your opponent to use a poke, he suddenly dashes or jumps in and gets the momentum in his favor, which in this game is very rewarding. I would prefer the game ot be based on consistently outplaying your opponent in neutral, instead of you or the opponent guesses right once and takes the whole round.

I've heard a lot of players insist that this is a heavily footsie-based game, which I don't think is true. If anything, it is a pressure based game, with the objective to gain the momentum first and take advantage of that, until your opponent somehow finds an opening in your offense, or you make a mistake, and shifts the momentum to their favor. Since pressure is very heavily rewarded in SF5, this is a pretty big deal.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I think Phenom's problem is exactly why they gave most characters such good anti-airs. You have to establish a certain dominance in that area first, since the pay-off is so in favor of jumping over a slower footsie button. I think it's an interesting meta, but we'll see. So far it doesn't look like matches are only decided by who jumped at the right time...

Maybe we will later get anti-air xx v-trigger activation combos to even that part out.

Does anyone know if Mad Catz ps3 sticks work on the PC version easily without any wonky workaround methods? Thinking of going to a friends place but wont be worth it if it doesnt work.

Trying to learn new moves. Make them 20x in a row without failure in training mode. Enters casual game. Brain stops working and takes til the last attack of game 3 till execution comes out for the first time. Fml

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Trying to learn new moves. Make them 20x in a row without failure in training mode. Enters casual game. Brain stops working and takes til the last attack of game 3 till execution comes out for the first time. Fml

Practice them on a moving dummy. Set the cpu to like 2 or 3.

LakeEarth

Works on everyone except Ryu for some reason
Yeah he won't stop chucking fireballs so the eagle spike spam doesn't work. I end up using his air eagle spikes, but it isn't foolproof.

He's definitely Rashid's demon in survival mode.

I miss Rashid. I dropped him for Birdie in ranked because I won more with him, but I went back to Rashid for some casual games and I forgot how fun he is. Anti-air CA is the best.

Hex

Banned
Yeah he won't stop chucking fireballs so the eagle spike spam doesn't work. I end up using his air eagle spikes, but it isn't foolproof.

He's definitely Rashid's demon in survival mode.

I miss Rashid. I dropped him for Birdie in ranked because I won more with him, but I went back to Rashid for some casual games and I forgot how fun he is. Anti-air CA is the best.

Raaaashiiiiiidoooooooooooooooo

KingBroly

Banned
Works on everyone except Ryu for some reason

Yeah. But it's basically AI Kryptonite. I usually waited for Ryu to make a move before doing it to him. I also did his QCF+K since it stops his fireballs 90% of the time, forcing the AI to walk in, opening him up for QCB+K

Aside from Ryu, I got up to wave 45 without much trouble with Rashid. About 10 waves better than any other fighter, which made it a lot easier for the final 5.

Also, AI Bison doesn't throw at all. Ever.

Steroyd

So I have a Cammy versus Cammy match, something I'm not used to and messes with my head, kept getting cr.hk'd to death which annoyed me, won the 2nd round by a pixel of health final round sussed him out gloves came off a blowout ensued ended on a critical art aaaaaaaand rq... *puts sunglasses on* Awe yeah!

Never thought to manipulate Cammy's worthless cr.hk's active frames on opponents wake up, might play around with that.

Kikirin

I timed it extremely poorly, but found these for a friend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkORXQWCcN4&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv5YkOwIUCk&feature=youtu.be
Beats jumps. If timed correctly (which I didn't do because I don't play Rashid), should be able to counterhit all 4 frame or slower moves. Loses to three framers and invincible reversals. Not sure how useful it is, but since the game is new, everyone loves to wake-up jump lol.

EDIT: Excuse the poor editing, these were done very quickly lol.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

TacosNSalsa

There's a great video floating around one of the OT's about get the correct mindset. Wish I could remember which one!. The gist of it is you practice these things with the intention of using them but when you get into a match with an actual person you get so consumed by winning the match you forget what you were practicing and fall back in to patterns that have worked for you before.

His suggestions were to put your ego aside and forget about the win for a time being . Work on small goals like hitting a combo as many times as possible. When I first started I would set goals like "I will NOT jump AT this guy. I can neutral jump and jump backwards." That forced me to approach from the ground and beleee me after a few matches you'll start to get that right.

cackhyena

Does Sim's flame carpet go away as soon as he's hit? I saw a replay of a Sim getting V Reversed after his V Trigger was activated and it disappeared. Same as that gif above. Is it V Reversal specific? I haven't fought enough good Sim's who even use the trigger.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
That practice regimen is something you'll need to do over time. Do it each day for whatever moves or combos you're trying to learn. It takes time, including time away from the game, for your brain to internalize what you're learning. After sufficient time the things you practiced will become more automatic and easier to accomplish under more intense conditions.

Think of it like being a beginner musician. You don't play through a song once and then say "ok I'm ready to do this on stage!" You work on it each day for a while until you just know it. Then the excitement of being on stage doesn't disrupt your ability to play because it's so internalized.

There's a great video floating around one of the OT's about get the correct mindset. Wish I could remember which one!. The gist of it is you practice these things with the intention of using them but when you get into a match with an actual person you get so consumed by winning the match you forget what you were practicing and fall back in to patterns that have worked for you before.

His suggestions were to put your ego aside and forget about the win for a time being . Work on small goals like hitting a combo as many times as possible. When I first started I would set goals like "I will NOT jump AT this guy. I can neutral jump and jump backwards." That forced me to approach from the ground and beleee me after a few matches you'll start to get that right.
This is exceptional advice and something that has helped me a lot in fighting games.

Let's say you learn a combo or a particular move or a technique that you really think is cool and useful. Well, make it your mission to pull off that move in a variety of matches. Who cares if you lose? Who cares if you turtle a bit or bait attacks. Your goal isn't to win but to try that move.

Durden77

The worst is when you play a match that is actually pretty good, and then the player rage quits.

Like common man....thought we had something...

leehom

I rarely throw, but I love it when it's a close game and my opponent thinks I will never throw. I short jab, walk up, throw ftw. Such a satisfying way of victory.

zenpuff

Neo Member
Hey all,

So I typically play as either Birdie or Bison. Lately I've been running into just a gaggle of people playing Nash who spam his Adon-looking kick (forget the name of it), land, and start jabbing like crazy. The problem is when people start mixing up the jabs with throws, I kinda don't know what to do. I know there's something I can do outside of just blocking and predicting a throw, but I'm lost. Any tips?

Renekton

I think Neoxon posted it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr_GmZ3jac

Hey all,

So I typically play as either Birdie or Bison. Lately I've been running into just a gaggle of people playing Nash who spam his Adon-looking kick (forget the name of it), land, and start jabbing like crazy. The problem is when people start mixing up the jabs with throws, I kinda don't know what to do. I know there's something I can do outside of just blocking and predicting a throw, but I'm lost. Any tips?

Try anti-airing the kick, I'm sure birdies crouching MP would work

BadWolf

Hey all,

If you block that move then Nash is positive and at advantage.

It's best to try to hit him out of it instead of blocking.

The armor on Birdie's fwd+HP destroys that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom