• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

There's nothing harder about motion versus charge, unless you literally have a disability of some kind.

All other things being equal for a move, motion is superior, as it lets you move forward while being a threat with that move.

Can't see motion Balrog being a threat in this game without some serious changes, as normals are generally shorter and slower across the board, and sweeps are universally unsafe.

FWIW I mained Balrog for most of 4, would be suprised if he didnt get a command grab in 5

This ignores the balancing options. Look at Guile's booms vs. Charlie's.

When you balance a move for a charge, you take into account the loss of mobility and you reward a move with things like better recovery or more advantage on block. It has absolutely fuck all to do with ease of execution. It is not a straight up "superior" option just because you can advance, because most likely, if you can advance while doing a rush punch, they're going to be very negative on block, whereas when they're charge, that is not likely to be the case and you're then rewarded with better offensive options even though you give up mobility.

Spuck-uk

Banned
This ignores the balancing options. Look at Guile's booms vs. Charlie's.

When you balance a move for a charge, you take into account the loss of mobility and you reward a move with things like better recovery or more advantage on block. It has absolutely fuck all to do with ease of execution. It is not a straight up "superior" option just because you can advance, because most likely, if you can advance while doing a rush punch, they're going to be very negative on block, whereas when they're charge, that is not likely to be the case and you're then rewarded with better offensive options even though you give up mobility.

I think you missed this part of my post

"All other things being equal for a move,"

It's taking much longer to get her new tongue physics looking just right

prototyping

gif0052j4joy.gif

Skilletor

I think you missed this part of my post

"All other things being equal for a move,"

I"All things being equal for a move" ignores why a move would be motion or charge. All things shouldn't be equal for a move. These characters aren't created in a vacuum. When you decide to make a move a motion or a charge, you take into account its properties and the effect it has on the character and the cast.

I didn't ignore it. I just don't ever see a scenario when you're balancing a game where you wouldn't take into account the way a move is performed. That doesn't make sense to me.

Oh, I meant to ask, does anyone know if hooking a USB from my PS4 to Dualshock 4 would reduce latency?
I'm not sure. Even if it did, you would still be beholden to the intrinsic PS4 version's input lag (assuming ur playing the PS4 version, of course).

PC ver with the v-sync .ini edits for as lag free an experience as possible, but then again it wouldn't be the tournament standard than that might fuck u up in competition.

Big Brett

I'm not sure. Even if it did, you would still be beholden to the intrinsic PS4 version's input lag (assuming ur playing the PS4 version, of course).

PC ver with the v-sync .ini edits for as lag free an experience as possible, but then again it wouldn't be the tournament standard than that might fuck u up in competition.

Haha I'm as casual as it comes but I am trying to learn. Appreciate the response. Trying to get my hands on an afforable wired stick but just doing what I can in the meantime to learn fundamentals.

I believe when the PS4 controller is wired, it is only for power - the communication still happens over bluetooth. So I don't think it would have any latency effect.

That's kind of what I figured. When I saw people in competition playing with DS4 they always had a wire so I just wanted to see if it made a difference. Thanks!

jhmostyn

Neo Member
Oh, I meant to ask, does anyone know if hooking a USB from my PS4 to Dualshock 4 would reduce latency?

I believe when the PS4 controller is wired, it is only for power - the communication still happens over bluetooth. So I don't think it would have any latency effect.

Haha I'm as casual as it comes but I am trying to learn. Appreciate the response. Trying to get my hands on an afforable wired stick but just doing what I can in the meantime to learn fundamentals.

That's kind of what I figured. When I saw people in competition playing with DS4 they always had a wire so I just wanted to see if it made a difference. Thanks!

They play it wired in order to pair it with the PS4 so it works. And you're going to be sitting close enough for the wire to not matter so they just leave it connected.

And I don't think wired has any effect on input. At least not to my knowledge.

Speaking of modding, did they ever address any further what all that steam workshop stuff was about?
It was a bug, happened to other big games too. Nothing to more to make of it.

They're not gonna implement steam workshop because even if they did allow the community to make and sell costumes on their storefront for a percentage of the profits, a la Dota 2, then they'd use their own systems in order to also port it to the ps4 as well.

EDIT: They're also definitely NOT gonna encourage modding. Maybe allow it, but definitely not encourage it.

Any chance at a public release for that Laura mod?
Now that I know more about the pipeline I want to go back and re-do it properly... it didn't have very much detail. It shouldn't take long as I know what I'm doing this time :)
Speaking of modding, did they ever address any further what all that steam workshop stuff was about?
I don't think so which is a shame. It would be really cool if they could release like the base meshes for all the characters so you could start from scratch. For example I was looking at Alex and if you wanted to make that Alex in the arena mod you'd have to steal his legs from his premium costume, his torso from his original costume and the long hair from the premium one as well. :p

Baleoce

It was a bug, happened to other big games too. Nothing to more to make of it.

They're not gonna implement steam workshop because even if they did allow the community to make and sell costumes on their storefront for a percentage of the profits, a la Dota 2, then they'd use their own systems in order to also port it to the ps4 as well.

Fair enough, and yeah it did seem pretty contradictory to their proposed business model. At least there's still a regular modding scene though.

Mr. X

Sony has an investment in SFV, they could try for more Steam collaboration i.e. workshop since they have some sort of relationship with Valve.

Sony has an investment in SFV, they could try for more Steam collaboration i.e. workshop since they have some sort of relationship with Valve.
I don't think they do though. I don't think they've had much of an interaction or even a business relationship ever since Portal 2. Yeah, Sony has allowed some of their published indies to also be on Steam, but that doesn't imply any relationship with Valve.

The workshop is something that's a possibility in 2 or 3 years, but it's certainly not a priority for the time being.

qcf x2

So mods/hacks/etc.... I was under the impression that none of that stuff would affect me since the other person is on PC and I'm on PS4, but a few days ago somebody was using Alex's premium outfit that doesn't exist yet. That doesn't seem fair and they obviously didn't / won't have to pay for it.

So mods/hacks/etc.... I was under the impression that none of that stuff would affect me since the other person is on PC and I'm on PS4, but a few days ago somebody was using Alex's premium outfit that doesn't exist yet. That doesn't seem fair and they obviously didn't / won't have to pay for it.
All of Alex's outfits are available tho

if you have the season pass on either platform you can use his premium.

Oh, Season pass.... guess that explains it.

The season pass is the only way to access the premium costumes, and only the costumes of the DLC characters at that.

At least until the Zenny store hits.

Btw, Alex's premium costume is horrible. At least his default costume only has that weird stance thing that's a problem, the premium costume is an absolutely horrible design.

Skilletor

The season pass is the only way to access the premium costumes, and only the costumes of the DLC characters at that.

At least until the Zenny store hits.

Btw, Alex's premium costume is horrible. At least his default costume only has that weird stance thing that's a problem, the premium costume is an absolutely horrible design.

Yeah. It's absolutely awful. I wish I could delete it.

El Sloth

Banned
Both of Alex's alts are garbage. I can see the appeal of the story one for wrestling fans, but I still think it's hella ugly.

I'd prob pay actual money for a proper stance Alex because I'm a dum-dum. Come take this dummy's money for little effort, Capcom!

Baleoce

Is it possible to still buy hot Ryu keys off of people and for them to work on Steam? No idea how much they go for. I just want a different skin for him.

Is it possible to still buy hot Ryu keys off of people and for them to work on Steam? No idea how much they go for. I just want a different skin for him.
You can check on EBay, but they're pretty expensive. It'd be more economical to just wait for the Zenny store.

Skilletor

I didn't think there were codes for any alts on steam. All codes were bonuses for PS4 preorders, weren't they?

Genki

Was about to reach gold for the first time, with an upset against a good Alex Super Platinum player. Naturally he rage quit the moment the finishing overhead quit.

Was about to reach gold for the first time, with an upset against a good Alex Super Platinum player. Naturally he rage quit the second the overhead quit.

Aww man, the amount of points you would have gotten. Oh well, at least now you know you have the skill to beat platinum level players too :)

Fraud platinums, but still.

Baleoce

is there a hot ryu code for steam? i thought the preorder bonus was chun?

Yeah I have the chun preorder outfit. I couldn't remember if the costumes were platform specific or retail outlet specific.

EDIT - derp. retail outlet, steam. yeah. I'm half asleep.

I didn't think there were codes for any alts on steam. All codes were bonuses for PS4 preorders, weren't they?

I got chuns alt for prepurchasing it on PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom