• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

You will when he gets a fresh to death makeover that he so richly needs and deserves. I've already got the concept ready to go.

Capcom, call me.

They're gonna have to give him one hell of a redesign to make him palatable and er, more culturally-sensitive. No more braids, beads & buckskins, please.

Tbh just give his moveset to an Indigenous woman instead. They're hardly ever represented in media beyond the "Injun princess" stereotype and we're far overdue for a burly female fighter.

remz

Tbh just give his moveset to an Indigenous woman instead. They're hardly ever represented in media beyond the "Injun princess" stereotype and we're far overdue for a burly female fighter.
Would legit be a sick as fuck character, or at least way better than Tobias Hawk. Not enough burly/tough girls in fighters for some reason !

They're gonna have to give him one hell of a redesign to make him palatable and er, more culturally-sensitive. No more braids, beads & buckskins, please.

He definitely needs a new look that breaks away from the 80s G.I. Joe-esque ensemble he's been stuck in. There's many ways to reference and celebrate his culture without it being a pastiche.

I'm not a fan of taking a character's moveset and giving it to someone else. An indigenous female character would be awesome, but T. Hawk doesn't need to be scrapped for parts to make that happen. They can co-exist, and I'd imagine that Noemblu would be the most likely candidate if that were to happen.

Tan

man Juri's vol 2 trials really want you to use her target combo.
Too bad it whiffs on crouchers so no one will ever be able to use it in a match.

FluxWaveZ

Yep, I'm not particularly finding people any faster, and the connections as a whole tonight have not been great. This new CFN hasn't really proven itself so far. At least, it seems that rankings are updated way faster, and I haven't been getting 40006 or 80001 so far.

Teepo671

Does blacklisting someone keep them from finding you through Battle Lounges? I don't know why the same guy has beenjoining my battle lounge the past few weeks even though the connection is always so terrible. Maybe it was one way? I thought the new udpate might fix it but no, he popped in again last night and it was still rollback city.

They're nothing like SFIV's, still way easier, closest thing to SFIV's level of difficulty I've seen so far is a Gief 3 hit combo that require perfect spacing.

Yeah, they're much easier than SFIV trials. I never managed to complete any of the trials throughout SFIV's life but I finished all of volume one in SFV and I don't recall struggling through many of the SFV trials aside from maybe Karin and a few of the charge characters. I'm a little over half way through volume 2 atm. Karin, Guile and Balrog are the only ones I had some difficulty with in Vol. 2 so far. Balrog in particular. That final trial took me maybe an hour to finish for some reason D:

yeah Flux is a great player to set against and he plays multiple characters so even better. Some people have fell off a bit (like me lol) losing some interest in the game but Vulva is very good, a Karin player on here, Nash player, Guilebootcamp, etc...I would put everyone in the OP on your friends list.

I should be back on regularly, not playing a whole lot, but my Ken should be back up to snuff in a month or so, and I'm alt Ryu now.

CFN - Omnicloud or ElisJah

Not a bad idea. I have Omnicloud as a favorite but I've never seen you on. I'll friend request your profiles next time I'm on.

My CFN is AdversaryOne

Anyone is welcome to friend request me.

He definitely needs a new look that breaks away from the 80s G.I. Joe-esque ensemble he's been stuck in. There's many ways to reference and celebrate his culture without it being a pastiche.

I'm not a fan of taking a character's moveset and giving it to someone else. An indigenous female character would be awesome, but T. Hawk doesn't need to be scrapped for parts to make that happen. They can co-exist, and I'd imagine that Noemblu would be the most likely candidate if that were to happen.

IDK man, I feel like Tony Hawk is a product of his time and only a radical, from-the-ground-up overhaul would make him appealing in this day & age.

Shame too, cuz I did legitimately enjoy his frame trap/tick throw mixup playstyle but I was actually too embarrassed to play him in front of my friends of indigenous descent cuz of how stereotypical he is.

Perhaps he can be salvaged if the right hands were involved in the process, but I honestly don't expect Capcom of all companies to approach the issue with anything resembling sensitivity if we're being realistic.

IDK man, I feel like Tony Hawk is a product of his time and only a radical, from-the-ground-up overhaul would make him appealing in this day & age.

Shame too, cuz I did legitimately enjoy his frame trap/tick throw mixup playstyle but I was actually too embarrassed to play him in front of my friends of indigenous descent cuz of how stereotypical he is.

Perhaps he can be salvaged if the right hands were involved in the process, but I honestly don't expect Capcom of all companies to approach the issue with anything resembling sensitivity if we're being realistic.
He can definitely be modernized, and it wouldn't be hard either. You don't make progress by shying away from it. Whether Capcom is capable of that is up for debate but it is possible and I'd like to see that happen as I feel T. Hawk has a lot of potential from both a gameplay and representation standpoint.

He can definitely be modernized, and it wouldn't be hard either. You don't make progress by shying away from it. Whether Capcom is capable of that is up for debate but it is possible and I'd like to see that happen as I feel T. Hawk has a lot of potential from both a gameplay and representation standpoint.

I suppose you're right. I guess I just anecdotally view the character as scorched earth due to the reactions I've seen to him, but if they really nailed a re-imagining then he could definitely be embraced moving forward.

I suppose you're right. I guess I just anecdotally view the character as scorched earth due to the reactions I've seen to him, but if they really nailed a re-imagining then he could definitely be embraced moving forward.
The thing is that the more stereotypical aspects of his design aren't malicious, just misguided and lazy. (And this isn't exclusive to T. Hawk when it comes to the SF cast.)

At his core he's a heroic character, his fighting style is really cool, which besides some questionable mannerisms, I think works really well for his character. The problem is the G.I. Joe style of cultural reference that lacks nuance.

An updated take on T. Hawk can show that an indigenous character can be strong, cool, sexy, etc without being a stereotype, as with any character that comes from any cultural background from around the world. Some larger than life and over the top elements can be incorporated too, as long as they're done in good faith, and being mindful that a character is not just a billboard to paste surface level trappings. This is the key to any successful character design IMO.

Skilletor

Double post...now that i have the stick out, i updated PS360+, but it doesn't seem to work natively with games, even when I force PS3 mode.

Does the stick not work with the skullgirls driver on PS4?

Oops, wrong thread.

Village

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";238760400]Screwing around with Ed

xG37VP.gif
[/QUOTE]

Pick a better color

kofvscapcom

Neo Member
is it just me having bad execution or are the vol 2 trials harder? I did Zangief's and Eds but I can't seem to do the one Ryu trial jump mp into air tatsu into super. It's nice of them to add another round of trials, gives enough fight money for a stage or character.

Ed's team looks straight out of a shounen manga ready to fight the elite 4. Probably the new 4 Heavenly Kings, japanese people love that concept. Previews of Season 3

Edzi

is it just me having bad execution or are the vol 2 trials harder? I did Zangief's and Eds but I can't seem to do the one Ryu trial jump mp into air tatsu into super. It's nice of them to add another round of trials, gives enough fight money for a stage or character.

Ed's team looks straight out of a shounen manga ready to fight the elite 4. Probably the new 4 Heavenly Kings, japanese people love that concept. Previews of Season 3

He really looks like he should have been the protagonist of SFV. Maybe he will be for the S2 story.

Just played this for the first time in forever. As much fun as I'm having with Injustice, Street Fighter just feels so right.

I hate the damn "dial a combo" system. When I lose in Street Fighter, it feels like I deserved to lose. I know some butthead on the other side didn't just dial in their victory or use cheap tactics to knock me out.

Producer

seems theres a new bug / glitch. During the rematch screen even if both of us accept rematch sometimes there is a disconnect as if someone backed out. Happened a few times

FluxWaveZ

I like how combos in Street Fighter (or ASW games, even) feel intuitive. Just visually, you can attach one sequence to another. It's easier to experiment in Training for simple scenarios and go, "I wonder if this works." Injustice 2 is literally memorizing sequences of random button combinations, and it's a real pain. That's the kind of game casuals should point to with the common complaint of having to "memorize lists of random button presses for combos."

seems theres a new bug / glitch. During the rematch screen even if both of us accept rematch sometimes there is a disconnect as if someone backed out. Happened a few times

Something like that happened to me earlier. Guess it's a common thing, then.

I don't have such an issue with the combo system in IJ2 as much as I have a problem with the prevalence of zoning. So many damn characters are zoners, and they keep getting more meter and advantages off of successful zoning than I do trying to come in.

Granted, that's something that balance patches CAN fix.

FluxWaveZ

I don't have such an issue with the combo system in IJ2 as much as I have a problem with the prevalence of zoning. So many damn characters are zoners, and they keep getting more meter and advantages off of successful zoning than I do trying to come in.

Granted, that's something that balance patches CAN fix.

Yep:
I was looking at Injustice 2 breakdown videos to get a better idea of the cast and who I might want to play, and everyone was zoners.
On paper, I'm alright with zoners. Watching a good Yukiko, Naoto or Yukari in Persona 4 Arena is like a work of art, with how meticulous and precise you need to be to do well with them.

What I don't like is staying full screen away and spamming one thing, then spamming another thing, and then running away once the opponent gets close to do the same thing over again. And it's a valid tactic. This isn't the same as the complaints of "spamming Hadoken" in SF. Somehow, it's even less frustrating to fight Guile. I don't like the type of zoning that a lot of characters have in IJ2.

Yep:

On paper, I'm alright with zoners. Watching a good Yukiko, Naoto or Yukari in Persona 4 Arena is like a work of art, with how meticulous and precise you need to be to do well with them.

What I don't like is staying full screen away and spamming one thing, then spamming another thing, and then running away once the opponent gets close to do the same thing over again. And it's a valid tactic. This isn't the same as the complaints of "spamming Hadoken" in SF. Somehow, it's even less frustrating to fight Guile. I don't like the type of zoning that a lot of characters have in IJ2.
It's less frustrating because Guile doesn't have as much mobility as zoners in those games do, and Guile's projectiles certainly aren't as good as zoners in that game. He also only has the one type of fireball, while in IJ2 you have multi hitting, ground freezing, shit that comes out from the ground, projectiles from the air, etc etc.

But that's a discussion for another OT.

Skilletor

That one took me a few minutes. You just have to hit them at a specific height.

mbpm1

Zoning is hugely strong in IJ2. it's to cope with the type of vortices you can be put in when you get knocked down.

It's still way up there in how good it is though.

Zoning is hugely strong in IJ2. it's to cope with the type of vortices you can be put in when you get knocked down.

It's still way up there in how good it is though.
But the zoners have great pressure and vortexes too! This is one of the most annoying things about Deadshot and Aquaman and Green Lantern.

The only character that has resets and vortexes legitimately strong enough to make me think "damn, that's worth getting through zoning for" is Black Adam and Black Canary.

Top Bottom