• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Sayad

I was more talking about the pros

IIRC daigo uses guile now and tokido doesnt use ryu anymore ( uses akuma now I think? i havent watched the pro leagues in a while tbh)
Well, the buff he got is like two days old, probably why no one switched back yet. ;p

Don't see those coming back to Ryu though, Guile is still so much better than Ryu and Tokido picked up Akuma pretty much from the day the character was shown.

I was more talking about the pros

IIRC daigo uses guile now and tokido doesnt use ryu anymore ( uses akuma now I think? i havent watched the pro leagues in a while tbh)

so basically hes too honest

smh
To be honest, guile feels like pretty much what Ryu SHOULD be like. Ryu is stable but not strong. Guile is stable but also strong.

Ryu's fireball is not that great, his oki isn't amazing, he no longer has throw loops, his damage has been reduced, his V-Reversal is still not great and his tools just generally don't feel effective. His shimmy game and his pressure game also aren't as strong as other characters.

He's like a jack of all trades, only they forgot to actually make him half-decent at those trades.

Eugh. The lobby search needs size (and country) filters badly. Right now it just returns the oldest lobbies, which are always half-filled 8 person lobbies that nobody wants to join. Was this even a thing before the new CFN, or did they mess that up with the update?

The best way to find smaller lobbies right now seem to be to search for 3 round, 99 second, and BO 3 or 5. Requiring character select to be on also seems to help find smaller lobbies, which may be because it is off by default and so you only get those lobbies that intentionally enable it, excluding anyone who just mashed through the lobby dialogue.

Ucchedavāda;238778352 said:
Eugh. The lobby search needs size (and country) filters badly.

Yep. Not having country/connection filters is dumb. At least the flags are showing up now, but I still worry that being able to see too many foreign country flags stops me from seeing more local ones.

Teepo671

Matchmaking does seem much improved, for me at least. Probably due to my location but I used to have to wait 30 minutes to an hour for a single match with casual and ranked matchmaking on. Playing today I seemed to be getting matches within 5-10 minutes with just ranked matchmaking on, sometimes less. Managed to get on a 9 game win streak and was 100 points away from finally hitting silver.....then I went on a losing streak and got knocked all the way back down to super bronze. :(

Ah, well. Still had fun and managed to knock a few games off of the win 20 and 40 ranked games monthly quest.

OK, some initial reactions to the stuff in this new patch:

• New trials/demonstrations are dope. Free FM(along with the free 50K FM).
  • Ed seems like a LOT of fun. He has the same issue as Kolin in that he has stubby ass normals but a lot of tools to pressure and ways to close the distance. I could definitely see myself playing him very casually. The barrier to "getting good" with this guy seems a lot more lax as compared to other characters. And HOT DAMN, he's so beautifully animated.
  • The fuck is up with Gief's air headbutt.
  • FANG feels so much more fun now. I have more legitimate frame traps, and the cr.mk xx st.hp frametrap is just so damn good.
  • Kolin is still best girl.
  • Matchmaking seems a lot more slower than before, but a lot more stable. Matches have been VERY few and far between but they've all been good.
  • Load Times are DEFINITELY faster.
  • The staff wielding lady from Ed's story mode needs to make it in to the game.

Scotia

Banned
Pretty good.

90F8aUepslB84.gif

I'll not ask who in particular to risk any disappointment, but I'm happy about this regardless. Thanks man.

My experience from playing with the new content last night.

New trials is great. I will get to my 1 mil FM easily now.

Ed seems ok but not for me. But his story was better than most.

Online seemed about the same but it was always 95% fine for me anyway.

Cant tell if load times are faster or not.

New CFN stats are great and block list and friends list are great additions.

Finally have flags in BL. However this just confirms that almost all people in BL are from the Americas or japan and barely any in europe so still kind of unusable for me which sucks. But thats not the games fault i guess.

50k free fight money was nice. Got me bisons stage and the last Mika colour i wanted.

Can tell a new patch is out as suddenly all the people who hate to lose and wont give a run back (even in casual) are back.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There is something else up with Battle Lounge, there's a reddit thread about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...attle_lounges_are_clearly_busted_but_nobodys/

An explanation:
This is the issue :
  • There's a max limit of visible lobbies of ~25.
  • They are arranged from old to new (since new CFN)
  • Therefore, lobbies that are bigger than 5 will usually never fill out, so they will stay in the browser. Only when all players have left or the lobby is full, it will disappear.
  • There is no way to filter by country or player number.
I reported this during the CFN beta, but they have still gone through with a change that can effectively kill lobbies unless you try to browse by FT5 and FT10, as those are basically not used outside 2-player lobbies.
As an example, if you're an European player and you want to play in a lobby, you may have 15 US lobbies in the browser and 10 Asian ones. If those lobbies are of 6-8 players, they will hardly fill and will continue appearing in the list until they are empty (no one takes over). Therefore, you may be literally unable to find an European lobby unless you're lucky with the FT5 or FT10 filter I said above.
Lobbies need two extra filters :
  • By region (and get rid of flags being chosen by the user)
  • By size.
Note : This is based on the latest beta, I haven't had a chance to experiment with the live version of the new CFN, but seems it's the same way.
I'm extremely annoyed at how this change went through without implementing further filtering options. Don't they have someone who actually plays the game go through basic functionality like this? It's unbelievable.

They might have made it worse lol

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Someone in the thread said you could theoretically block this whole list with a few trolls if you just leave empty lobbies running. Not sure if it's true, but that would be funny.

myco666

Okay, how the hell do you do m.vanity step into brincle (cr.lp, st.hp)? st.hp won't connect at all even if I try to mash it.

edit.
Oh thats how. Asking on gaf always works lmao.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
There is something else up with Battle Lounge, there's a reddit thread about it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFigh...attle_lounges_are_clearly_busted_but_nobodys/

An explanation:

Huh. I kinda felt like BLs were worse in the beta but I didn't think about it too much. I figured it just seemed that way because now I could see how few US lounges there were in the list. But I also couldn't find 2-person lounges easily at all.

I'll have to try the search criteria method. Thanks for posting this.

An explanation:

I know you guys hate it when I keep bringing up these issues. I have to keep bringing them up to remind people that there are more important things than shadows and shaving off 3 seconds in loading.

I bet in CFN 3 they will only fix NPC frame rate, add controls for Player 2 and add youtube uploads instead of making a proper matchmaking system.

Pompadour

OK, some initial reactions to the stuff in this new patch:

• New trials/demonstrations are dope. Free FM(along with the free 50K FM).
  • Ed seems like a LOT of fun. He has the same issue as Kolin in that he has stubby ass normals but a lot of tools to pressure and ways to close the distance. I could definitely see myself playing him very casually. The barrier to "getting good" with this guy seems a lot more lax as compared to other characters. And HOT DAMN, he's so beautifully animated.
  • The fuck is up with Gief's air headbutt.
  • FANG feels so much more fun now. I have more legitimate frame traps, and the cr.mk xx st.hp frametrap is just so damn good.
  • Kolin is still best girl.
  • Matchmaking seems a lot more slower than before, but a lot more stable. Matches have been VERY few and far between but they've all been good.
  • Load Times are DEFINITELY faster.
  • The staff wielding lady from Ed's story mode needs to make it in to the game.

The new Trials really are good. Designing trials prior to the launch of a game (as in no arcade release either) never works out well. The Trials here are a nice mix of practical, bread-n-butter, and stylish combos. The first 5 for everyone is stuff you'll commonly see players use in tournaments.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I know you guys hate it when I keep bringing up these issues. I have to keep bringing them up to remind people that there are more important things than shadows and shaving off 3 seconds in loading.

I bet in CFN 3 they will only fix NPC frame rate, add controls for Player 2 and add youtube uploads instead of making a proper matchmaking system.

Your first mistake is that you think this is an either-or situation

Pompadour

Your first mistake is that you think this is an either-or situation

To piggyback on your point the developers don't work on every aspect of the game. The guy who fixed the shadows probably isn't a network engineer. Woshige doesn't model alt costumes when he's not balancing.

Although if they did swap jobs that would explain Cammy's air throw.

MrCarter

The new Trials really are good. Designing trials prior to the launch of a game (as in no arcade release either) never works out well. The Trials here are a nice mix of practical, bread-n-butter, and stylish combos. The first 5 for everyone is stuff you'll commonly see players use in tournaments.

Indeed. I love Chun-Li trial combos, so satisfying to land.

Also, that Redbull Kumite reset combo that guy tried to do with Akuma.

https://youtu.be/mu32dQFutPI

To piggyback on your point the developers don't work on every aspect of the game. The guy who fixed the shadows probably isn't a network engineer. Woshige doesn't model alt costumes when he's not balancing.

Although if they did swap jobs that would explain Cammy's air throw.

Well who's working on the Nostalgia costume and why did it take this long for SF2 Bison Stage to come out? Modders have done more than Capcom in the span of a month.

Merkunt

Got a PS4 today, together with SF V and RE7. Why the fuck does it take so long to find a match? Got ranked with someone with level 5 connection and it was still painfully laggy. I'm wired and have 100mbs download / 30 upload.

Pompadour

Well who's working on the Nostalgia costume and why did it take this long for SF2 Bison Stage to come out? Modders have done more than Capcom in the span of a month.

I don't know, check the credits?

And the modder argument is kind of dumb. They put out a lot of stuff that isn't better than the official product (that classic Alex mod is shit) but people claim it's superior to stick a thumb in Capcom's eye. And none of those mods have hair that moves so it just looks like an uprezzed SF4 model.

But if you want a real answer as to why shit takes as long as it does to come out I'll give my guess.

1) we don't know what's in development unless it has been announced. So those high school outfits had like a turn around of being announced to being released in a week but they could have been in development for longer.

2) they stagger content intentionally so there isn't long, dry periods. This has the effect of keeping active fans happier since they aren't getting content dumps once or twice a year.

3) they stagger content intentionally to increase sales. I'll use Persona 5 as an example to explain what they're doing. Persona 5 had come out in Japan months before the NA but the NA still kept Japan's DLC schedule. Clearly it was already complete so why would they keep players waiting? The reason being that if players are overwhelmed with DLC choice they're likely to spend less at one time because they'll feel shame/guilt on blowing $50 in one purchase. However, if they spread that $50 over a few months the player will hardly notice what they spent since it's just $5 at a time.

In addition, they offer free DLC to get people to open the storefront in the first place because getting them in the door is the first step to getting them to spend money. Capcom did this with SFxT offering free colors routinely in addition to premium, neon, eye destroying colors that cost a buck or whatever. Capcom is likely doing the same here. They offered 50k to login which got players to engage with the game which increases the chance they'll spend real money on something.

Got a PS4 today, together with SF V and RE7. Why the fuck does it take so long to find a match? Got ranked with someone with level 5 connection and it was still painfully laggy. I'm wired and have 100mbs download / 30 upload.
Might be because of the new update, lot of players hopped back on at the same time.

Make sure you set your connection to 3-5 PS4/PC and only accept 4-5 bar connections.

Top Bottom