• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Blueblur1

Ucchedavāda;238808379 said:
Remember the CFN issue tracker?

Capcom just updated it for the first time in 8 months or so:
http://game.capcom.co.jp/sfv_support/en/index.html

http://game.capcom.co.jp/sfv_support/en/id_1010.html

Another Patch is Coming Your Way!

But seriously, that's a good sign. Maybe they'll keep using it which will help with their transparency problem a little tiny bit.

Edit: I have some additional thoughts: The new CFN was probably a major project that required a lot of development resources and now with it out of the way maybe they can afford to be more transparent about ongoing issue support.

Csr

Ucchedavāda;238808994 said:
It's a start.
If they actually start using it consistently, then that would be quite an improvement from before, in terms of their communication.

People that believe that are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Sure they might but probably not.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Ucchedavāda;238808994 said:
It's a start.
If they actually start using it consistently, then that would be quite an improvement from before, in terms of their communication.
Maybe it's because I've been following a few openly developed games by now, but that site really is a joke. Even shipped games have ("known shippable") bugs in the three digit range or whatever and those are usually a lot more polished than SFV is. If the goal of this really is to have another channel of communication, then atleast put some of the big ones in there and or it will have the opposite effect of what they want.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What would be the best category to select for Blacklisting a lame lag switch user? Bad Connection or Suspicious Activity?

I think if Suspicious Activity is a category, it must be intended to refer to lag switchers. I'm not sure what other kind of suspicious activity a player could engage in. And if you really do believe it's intentional lag manipulation and not just a "bad connection" then go with the suspicious label.

That said, I'm sure people suspect lag switching WAY more often than it actually happens, so maybe don't throw the suspicious category around unless you're confident. Also, you have to wonder whether Capcom will utilize this data in any meaningful way. It might not matter what category you designate.

I think if Suspicious Activity is a category, it must be intended to refer to lag switchers. I'm not sure what other kind of suspicious activity a player could engage in. And if you really do believe it's intentional lag manipulation and not just a "bad connection" then go with the suspicious label.

That said, I'm sure people suspect lag switching WAY more often than it actually happens. Also, you have to wonder whether Capcom will utilize this data in any meaningful way. It might not matter what category you designate.

I dunno. Suspicious activity would be idle players or auto punch players to me. Lag switchers would be a connection issue because you cant know for sure and it could be something they are unaware of.

Pompadour

That said, I'm sure people suspect lag switching WAY more often than it actually happens, so maybe don't throw the suspicious category around unless you're confident. Also, you have to wonder whether Capcom will utilize this data in any meaningful way. It might not matter what category you designate.

Suspicious Activity seems like it'd be for hacking even if that doesn't seem to be an issue for SFV online somehow. Bad Connection seems more appropriate.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I dunno. Suspicious activity would be idle players or auto punch players to me. Lag switchers would be a connection issue because you cant know for sure and it could be something they are unaware of.

Oh yeah, you're right. I guess I didn't think of it as "suspicious" because it's obvious what they're doing and why. But if there isn't a category for "AFK user" or whatever, then yeah, that's Suspicious Activity.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So who is the best Ed player to watch right now? I want to see a variety of match-ups being played, if possible.

Ohnonono

People talking about Ed's specials wiffing off of a hit. Is that the same thing as Necalli's light stomp wiffing at his max range cMK?

Beckx

i can't believe they brought back Vega's stage, it's amazing. I remember being disappointed all those years ago that you couldn't climb on the wall like the AI did in WW, and now you can. it's weird though, i don't really have the hang of timing with wall jumps.

Ed's story was actually good, i was rooting for him and Balrog to stay working together but nah, the salt was too much. i can't figure out how to play this character at *all* though.

Another Patch is Coming Your Way!

But seriously, that's a good sign. Maybe they'll keep using it which will help with their transparency problem a little tiny bit.

Edit: I have some additional thoughts: The new CFN was probably a major project that required a lot of development resources and now with it out of the way maybe they can afford to be more transparent about ongoing issue support.

That and they can address other issues. I know Capcom works at a snail's pace, but things should be much better since that was one of their biggest issues.

mbpm1

What might make me stop playing Ed is how specials just whiff at certain ranges if you cancel normals into them. That's one of the most frustrating things in 2D fighters and he seems to have that problem more than most other characters.

Had to laugh at this Kolin skin: NSFW
I mentioned this in the beta and it is pretty rough.

Luce mentioned he thought it was easier to be really good with him but I don't know about that. Its very easy to pick him up and play but at a good level his need for that spacing becomes more difficult.

The fact that his specials whiff often outside point blank range also means he can't buffer moves very well in midrange. If you poke necalli outside of his stubby normals he buffers st mp into slash dash and fucks you up. If you poke ed outside of his stubby normals he...runs away or has to jump or sits there.

The fact that his 3fr move converts into no damage whatsoever and also is reliant on the unreliable hands move isn't great either.

I think Capcpom just really really don't want the current high tiers to lose their positions. They get to keep their brain-dead stuff and in some situations get more (Cammy air throw, Gief headbutt) while they're doing these weird ass changes to some characters.

Like F.A.N.G.

Take his st.hp. His st.hp is 7-frames now, down from 8. It's a great buff and means that his st.lp (which already confirms into st.hp on ch) is a great frametrap against 4-frame jabs. St.lp (blocked) xx st.hp is a great frametrap. Cr.mk (blocked) into st.hp is a great frametrap against 4-frame jabs.

So Capcpom in their infinite wisdom, decided to balance this by shortening the hitbox of the move. Before, at close ranges, you could get a st.hp CC and then land another st.hp without having to do a dash in between. It was a great way to get damage and was almost Urien-ish on how you could abuse it. So they made the move faster but made it so that you can never confirm that st.hp CC into another st.hp unless you do a dash or your opponent is in the corner. So you HAVE to hit confirm into dash, do it preemptively or just do another move like df.hp or cr.hk which is sacrificing damage and doesn't lead to any poison or corner carry.

MEANWHILE, BACK IN URIEN LAND, st.hp CC still leads to a easy as fuck dash forward into cr.hp into corner carry.

MEANWHILE, BACK IN BALROG LAND, st.hk CC is still free damage with cr.hp, or a dash forward st.mk v-skill combo or something else.

If there's one thing these balance patches have confirmed, it's Brian_F's theory that they just want to keep the top tiers fresh.
I mentioned this in the beta and it is pretty rough.

Luce mentioned he thought it was easier to be really good with him but I don't know about that. Its very easy to pick him up and play but at a good level his need for that spacing becomes more difficult.

The fact that his specials whiff often outside point blank range also means he can't buffer moves very well in midrange. If you poke necalli outside of his stubby normals he buffers st mp into slash dash and fucks you up. If you poke ed outside of his stubby normals he...runs away or has to jump or sits there.

The fact that his 3fr move converts into no damage whatsoever and also is reliant on the unreliable hands move isn't great either.
You can definitely get good with Ed easily I feel.

Problem is, Ed is shit. He gives stubby normals a whole new meaning. You really have to think in terms of using your specials to get in and do damage.

Also I now hate Ed cause his stupid fireball FOR SOME REASON, goes above F.A.N.G's trap so The Great Wall of China is useless against that fuck.

LakeEarth

Ed also gets little from a crush counter. You can only dash up into jab, which can cancel into some good stuff yes but it's way less than what others can get.

Syntsui

What a fool I was thinking the battle lounge would be better. At least the flags appear this time I guess, but why the fuck can't I filter it?

Also, whoever thought 8 people lobbies were a good idea should never work in this industry again. They could at very least let us filter this shit I so would never look at them again.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
It's even worse now that I've seen GG Xrd Rev 2's lobbies...

I wonder what a Capcom devs thinks when he plays that.

Kashiwaba

What a fool I was thinking the battle lounge would be better. At least the flags appear this time I guess, but why the fuck can't I filter it?

Also, whoever thought 8 people lobbies were a good idea should never work in this industry again. They could at very least let us filter this shit I so would never look at them again.

What's the point of 8 person lobby if only two can play at once :(.

Yeah, GG lobbies are great. Actually everything in GG is great.
Ya ain't wrong.

tumblr_ng3psawsCh1sdhuzuo1_500.gif

MCD250

Gief was probably like top 10 in S2, upper midtier. It's kinda hard to say for sure because outside of the characters that were straight busted, like Urien/Necalli/Balrog, S2 was fairly evenly balanced across the board.

As for whether these buffs make him rise in tiers, I think it's still hard to say. Technically they don't address his weaknesses, but they do make it easier for him to kill you. He's still himself, basically, just...more?

Top Bottom