• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Hey man, if you wanna have a fun conversation about that issue, we can talk about sega and sonic in particular. Because its been a deluge of fuckery and has not stopped since the 90s.

...I mean those mods ALSO exist

This new one tho

This new one might be good.

Making your own character is like half the fanbases dream

Village

Not talking shit about DeeJay seems paramount to " not breathing"

This new one tho

This new one might be good.

Making your own character is like half the fanbases dream

A lot of the fanbases reaction was " this game still looks like a hot mess , I would rather I could just play as a character I know with focused level design".A lot o the reactions since jump have been , luke warm.And it does look like a hot mess, there is classic sonic gameplay that doesn't look good and will ultimately look like more ass next to the new classic sonic game they are making. The 3d sonic we havent seem enough to determine whether that's ass or not , because the game is actually directed by the lost world guy, ( they didn't mention that ) and the last time he got to do shit... he made fucking lost world, so we have to check on the level design of those 3d parts. And there is no garutee that the shadow the hedgehog ( the game)-esque sections will be more than mediocre objective based gameplay... like it was in shadow the hedgehog.There is a lot of apprehension in the fan base, people burned too many times, seeing the same issues. Watching a company who doesn't have confidence in their brand throw shit at a wall. Along with a other issues to long to get into in this thread.

The customization might be tight, and will definitely be fun for kids though. There is a chance 2/3rds of that game is dookie though.

After development there will most likely be a new addition to the new eastvswest fuckery deluge , because there's been shit happening during the development of the game we didn't have context for we now kinda do.

I hope that games good though, I hope it is. I don't it is.

Supposedly Bison & Rashid are getting new costumes (discovered by Phoenix via datamining).

Took Capcom long enough.

Unfortunately I think that might just be an X-Kira alt or somebody just grabbing whatever bullshit X-Kira is "leaking". They've posted pretty much the exact same things that X-Kira has "leaked", but with different credits.

A lot of the fanbases reaction was " this game still looks like a hot mess , I would rather I could just play as a character I know with focused level design".A lot o the reactions since jump have been , luke warm.And it does look like a hot mess, there is classic sonic gameplay that doesn't look good and will ultimately look like more ass next to the new classic sonic game they are making. The 3d sonic we havent seem enough to determine whether that's ass or not , because the game is actually directed by the lost world guy, ( they didn't mention that ) and the last time he got to do shit... he made fucking lost world, so we have to check on the level design of those 3d parts. And there is no garutee that the shadow the hedgehog ( the game)-esque sections will be more than mediocre objective based gameplay... like it was in shadow the hedgehog.There is a lot of apprehension in the fan base, people burned too many times, seeing the same issues. Watching a company who doesn't have confidence in their brand throw shit at a wall. Along with a other issues to long to get into in this thread.

The customization might be tight, and will definitely be fun for kids though. There is a chance 2/3rds of that game is dookie though.

After development there will most likely be a new addition to the new eastvswest fuckery deluge , because there's been shit happening during the development of the game we didn't have context for we now kinda do.

Goddamnit. Why can't they just make Generations.

Blueblur1

I feel that way. The game looks like it's going to be another throwaway Sonic game. 2D Sonic gameplay already looks worse than Generations (the 2D physics from Generations don't seem to be present in the game; 2D gameplay footage shows lots of boost pads and Sonic with a slower top speed), and 3D boost gameplay is tired and repetitive after 8 years of it. Aside from Mania, Sega literally has no idea what to do with Sonic.

MCD250

Does anyone know if the Japanese VA attempt to do accents for any of the non-Japanese characters? Like for Rashid the English VA did an American accent/no accent but for characters like Cammy and Birdie there's a definite British accent. I'm curious if the Japanese VA did something similar.

Also, it's probably for the best if all the white VA playing Asian characters didn't attempt accents.
You know, this sort of makes me think. In the English voice over, it seems like none of the SF characters speak with accents save for the European ones. Rashid, Ryu, Laura and Guile all come from different parts of the world but all speak with American accents. But Abel speaks with a French accent, Cammy and Birdie have British accents, Gief and Kolin have Russian accents, Vega has a Spanish accent, etc. They're weirdly consistent about this "only Europeans speak with accents" thing.

Granted, I haven't played much SFIV so I don't know if folks like Rose, Fuerte and Hakan speak with accents of the regions they're from.

Picked up the game yesterday, really enjoying it but one thing: i cannot for the life of me pull off any CA moves.
I can do just about everything else (aside from Z motion moves) but i just don't get how to pull off CA moves. Help please?
Playing on ps4

mbpm1

You know, this sort of makes me think. In the English voice over, it seems like none of the SF characters speak with accents save for the European ones. Rashid, Ryu, Laura and Guile all come from different parts of the world but all speak with American accents. But Abel speaks with a French accent, Cammy and Birdie have British accents, Gief and Kolin have Russian accents, Vega has a Spanish accent, etc. They're weirdly consistent about this "only Europeans speak with accents" thing.

Granted, I haven't played much SFIV so I don't know if folks like Rose, Fuerte and Hakan speak with accents of the regions they're from.

Fuerte does a wildly exagerrated one

Rose and Hakan...maybe?

Picked up the game yesterday, really enjoying it but one thing: i cannot for the life of me pull off any CA moves.
I can do just about everything else (aside from Z motion moves) but i just don't get how to pull off CA moves. Help please?
Playing on ps4

What character are you using? It's usually double quarter circle motion and a single button.

The problem I run into when I can't pull it off is that I'm not doing the complete motion. Go into training and turn on "key display" and it'll show you if you are completing the quarter circle motion or not.

Playing on ps4

If you can pull off fireballs or other moves, you are halfway there! Just add another motion on top of your fireball and it'll come out. You don't have to do it super quick - the game is pretty lax about inputs. Find a good rhythm for it too.

What character are you using? It's usually double quarter circle motion and a single button.

The problem I run into when I can't pull it off is that I'm not doing the complete motion. Go into training and turn on "key display" and it'll show you if you are completing the quarter circle motion or not.
Ive tried it with pretty much all of the characters, haven't pulled it off with one yet, been using training mode and have key inputs on and it says im doing it. (Down, down middle right) and again, I can do it with any single quarter circle move but double quarter circle is just the death of me.
If you can pull off fireballs or other moves, you are halfway there! Just add another motion on top of your fireball and it'll come out. You don't have to do it super quick - the game is pretty lax about inputs. Find a good rhythm for it too.
Guess its just practice then huh

Ive tried it with pretty much all of the characters, haven't pulled it off with one yet, been using training mode and have key inputs on and it says im doing it. (Down, down middle right) and again, I can do it with any single quarter circle move but double quarter circle is just the death of me.

It's pretty much just that: fireball motion x2.
So just practice doing a fireball without the actual animation of the character following too obviously a long with your inputs.
Once you get to that point, just do the motion twice before inputting punch.

Mr. X

Roll it to upforward. When I had this problem, I would hit the buttons too early.

Village

Yep. The check mark motion super that Guile and Dejay have in 4 still messes me up.

Playing on ps4

Double quarter circle forward, you might just have to practice, if you are using a controller, make sure you practice sometimes you think you are doing a quater circle but you are actually doing a 3rd circle motion and not getting everything. I switch between using the analog and D-pad myself to mitagte that a bit

Goddamnit. Why can't they just make Generations.

They are and that's sort of the problem. Or rather the more appropriation question is, why can't they just make the 3d parts or generations. I can't answer you that, there is a plethor of fan games, and mods on that engine that show they could just expand on that forumla add some characters with different navigation mechanics instead of level mechanics, create 2d specific levels that puts that engine to the test and creates a more faithful 2d to 3d sonic experience. But they didn't, we got forces, and it really seems like they aren't confident in their product. When they aren't confident, they just start adding shit that makes it worse.

I feel that way. The game looks like it's going to be another throwaway Sonic game. 2D Sonic gameplay already looks worse than Generations (the 2D physics from Generations don't seem to be present in the game; 2D gameplay footage shows lots of boost pads and Sonic with a slower top speed), and 3D boost gameplay is tired and repetitive after 8 years of it. Aside from Mania, Sega literally has no idea what to do with Sonic.

I like boost, but agree their kinda aimless. Though i'm a bit more concerned about something no one is asking about. What the fuck is the movie that is coming out next year even supposed to be, and is it even coming out. What the fuck even is that? I bet you forgot, I bet you forget that there is a sony pictures sonic the hedgehog live action movie scheduled for next year.

joe2187

Banned
So I just picked up the Free comic book day SFV wrestling special comic.

And it just reafirms that we need an Capcom All Stars Saturday Morning Slam Masters game.

Dan fights the CWA Mikas wrestling league because Belgar from final fight is the Manager of the wrestling federation and treats the CWA like shit. Sakura and the entire cast from Rival schools is in the crowd and Joins in the fray and they all brawl together.

Then there's a flashback where Zangief is fighting Haggar in the 80's and Haggar is winning, but then gets double teamed by Mikehal Gorbechev....and is then saved by Ronald Reagan wielding an attack bald eagle, when they win...Reagan gives Haggar the idea to run for politics because politics is all about putting on a show.

Give me a wrestling game like this capcom!?

Village

So apparently the stripping code will soon work for all the costumes, not just the non-Battle Costume alts? Excellent~

Also if people are giving away free Season 2 DLC codes, I'll take them please, kthx.

It will be interesting to see what everyone strips. Because there are some costumes that are like, " if you strip anymore they will basically be naked" and I mean, you can play that game. Its a different game though. Odds are, it may add clothing in some cases, kens Christmas outfit adds thing when you use the code as well as takes some things away.

So, psn sale question

Game's on sale for $25 but I realize it's the base game with no dlc. As someone who mains Cammy am I fine with just the base game for a while? Like if I jump online are there compatibility packs I can download to play against people who use dlc fighters?

also silly bonus question but Ultra IV is on sale for $12, is it worth it going back?

So, psn sale question

Game's on sale for $25 but I realize it's the base game with no dlc. As someone who mains Cammy am I fine with just the base game for a while? Like if I jump online are there compatibility packs I can download to play against people who use dlc fighters?

There's no "compatibility" packs, there's only one version of SF5 and everyone can play with everyone else.

You can get a lot of characters with FM, but honestly, you'd be better off getting the deluxe for...40? I think it is? Since it has 12 extra characters, a stage and thus a fuckton of FM for you to spend on other things like colours/stages, story costumes, 2018 characters.

There's no "compatibility" packs, there's only one version of SF5 and everyone can play with everyone else.

You can get a lot of characters with FM, but honestly, you'd be better off getting the deluxe for...40? I think it is? Since it has 12 extra characters, a stage and thus a fuckton of FM for you to spend on other things like colours/stages, story costumes, 2018 characters.

Thanks for the info. The deluxe version is $53 canadian which is a bit steep for me right now. The FM option sounds good, I totally forgot you can buy characters that way.

Hm.

Also what about Ultra IV? Worth it or should I just jump into V?

TronWayne

Is there a consensus on the new CFN? I see virtually no difference except that teleporting problems have transformed into micro-skips that last the entire round instead. It looks like an emulator on frame-skip or something instead of full on teleporting. I guess it's better in a way, but it still isn't great.

Also what about Ultra IV? Worth it or should I just jump into V?
SF4 has been left behind

Is there a consensus on the new CFN? I see virtually no difference except that teleporting problems have transformed into micro-skips that last the entire round instead. It looks like an emulator on frame-skip or something instead of full on teleporting. I guess it's better in a way, but it still isn't great.

CFN is a data gathering and matchmaking server, you're not playing on a server, but peer 2 peer.

No change from S1, it's the same thing, the netcode wasn't change they added more features, I didn't play today, but Yesterday i had to blacklist a very laggy Canadian, the very next fight i got another Canadian and it was a super smooth fight, no lag, the inconsistency of the netcode is just annoying...

trixx

Got a ps4 and one of the first games I'd said I get was SFV. Man this game is hard as nails. Playing with ryu and I don't even know what to do. Like I can come up with a plan and cannot execute it whatsoever.

Playing as Ryu just because I heard he's very easy to pick up. Of the other characters I played(got standard edition so got barely any characters unlocked.I do like Mika. I was stringing some stuff together from what I remember from Fuudo's gameplay.

But yeah I need a guide cause I'm lost. Execution seems tough can't string things together and I frequently get mis-inputs. Instead of a shoryuken, I'd do a hadoken -__-

Makes me appreciate top level play and even mid level play a hell of a lot more.

Instead of a shoryuken, I'd do a hadoken -__-

The easiest way to stop this from happening is doing a half circle motion instead of a quarter circle. the other way is to let go of your input device completely (letting it go to neutral) before doing the motion, but I find that to be slower.

This way you can do fireballs while walking forward and not get an srk.

TronWayne

No change from S1, it's the same thing, the netcode wasn't change they added more features, I didn't play today, but Yesterday i had to blacklist a very laggy Canadian, the very next fight i got another Canadian and it was a super smooth fight, no lag, the inconsistency of the netcode is just annoying...

Ahh, gotcha. I thought it was a full overhaul. Guess it's kind of a placebo effect on my end. At least there are less errors and mildly faster matchmaking.

360s are easy!

720s are hard, but you just have to do them super fast. also combo them cause they combo now
720 I'm getting better at, they gave Zangief the tools to enable it. You can combo pretty nicely out of headbutt or Cr.MP; the Cyclone Lariat is good because they're always gonna block and fear the hits; and well, if you guess right wakeup CA is demoralizing as hell for the opponent. XD
Yes! Just started trying to pick up 'Gief, and he's so goddamn fun.

My old brain (and possibly my router) make it impossible to react to anything, but 'Gief has the health and toolset to adapt in a Bo3 and make "The Reads!", and nothing has felt better in SFV than putting an opponent down like a bad magazine in a doctor's office.
Agreed on all fronts.
Got a ps4 and one of the first games I'd said I get was SFV. Man this game is hard as nails. Playing with ryu and I don't even know what to do. Like I can come up with a plan and cannot execute it whatsoever.

Playing as Ryu just because I heard he's very easy to pick up. Of the other characters I played(got standard edition so got barely any characters unlocked.I do like Mika. I was stringing some stuff together from what I remember from Fuudo's gameplay.

But yeah I need a guide cause I'm lost. Execution seems tough can't string things together and I frequently get mis-inputs. Instead of a shoryuken, I'd do a hadoken -__-

Makes me appreciate top level play and even mid level play a hell of a lot more.
Do not feel discouraged. I got this game at fucking launch and I'm total scrub level in my consistency (though that's because I neglect to spend a ton of time in the lab, which every good player does).

Something I've learned about footsies is that you cannot just react, as unless you're Ricki Ortiz your reflexes probably aren't that bad. It's more about educated prediction in where you throw your buttons, otherwise you'll just be a sitting duck.

I'm sure you're way better than you actually are for a beginner. I myself actually need to start asking the guys here for reps again so they can give me advice.

Also, save your closest match replays and study them. I constantly find myself going, "wtf did I do that/where is my punish?"

stn

What's the source on all the DLC costumes getting easter egg codes attached to them? That's awesome!

Blueblur1

I'm a fellow Ryu main who's progressing through the lower ranks so I know what you're going through.

Here are some specific tips:
(1) Learn the range of your normal attacks. St.MP and St.MK are helpful to poke at opponents. St.MP is a combo starter so it's more useful yet has shorter range. Cr.MK is good for poking as well but right now St.LK has slightly more range and it's a faster move.

(2) Work on your execution by playing, playing, and playing some more. My execution has improved a lot just from playing the game and working on my inputs. Some time in training mode will do wonders. Practice and then turn on opponent AI or play Survival.

Also, there are some shortcuts that help with Shoryukens. I personally use forward->down forward->forward for Shoryukens when walking towards an opponent. When using cr.HP to combo into Shoryuken I use down-forward->forward->down-forward.

(3) Practice anti-airing! Anti-airing is a big part of the game. If you let opponents get easy jump-ins on you then you're doing it wrong! Start by practicing anti-airing with MP Shoryuken and St.HK.

But the best thing I can recommend are the Gief's Gym lessons that were put together by one of the r/Streetfighter mods. It teaches you all the basics and has helpful videos that demonstrate each lesson. Check out this link and try going through the first two sets of lessons (ignore the character links and try the general lessons).

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/wiki/v/giefsgym/

Ahh, gotcha. I thought it was a full overhaul. Guess it's kind of a placebo effect on my end. At least there are less errors and mildly faster matchmaking.

To be fair, with their servers being awful and causing problems before the new CFN, I wouldn't put it past anyone to assume it's the game's fault rather than just bumping into wifi warriors who steal bars from starbucks. Sadly, nothing can be done about people running on busted internet, and those problems feel worse on rollback compared to delay.

joe2187

Banned
I guess i'm the only one that finds midnight bliss creepy

I find that move extremely creepy, and I can kinda understand marvel specifically not being into that.

It's just a fanservice thing that really has no explanation besides....I guess someone on the dev team had some sort of fetish...probably a rare case of something like that making it in a game...I mean...who on capcom would design a character to cater to specific fetishes? thank goodness we dont see that stuff in street fighter.

Village

It's just a fanservice thing that really has no explanation besides....I guess someone on the dev team had some sort of fetish...probably a rare case of something like that making it in a game...I mean...who on capcom would design a character to cater to specific fetishes? thank goodness we dont see that stuff in street fighter.

I mean they have been obvious uh... preferences in street fighter as well. The 3rd strike artist... really really liked alex. Then you have urien and his everything, juri and a lot of stuff going on with juri , then that one artist who is obsessed with chun. Having preferences and even expressing them in design is fine.

Just you know, somethings are more tactful than " i turned you into a woman, you are now mine and I shall take you" You know... that creep ass mess

Edzi

Alright, so the CFN patch didn't really fix matchmaking, didn't fix the server errors, and the buffs didn't really help Alex. Great.

Top Bottom