• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

zenspider

I don't care if Zangief is not best for low-skill players, because goddang it's fun when you win with him. :p

Yes! Just started trying to pick up 'Gief, and he's so goddamn fun.

My old brain (and possibly my router) make it impossible to react to anything, but 'Gief has the health and toolset to adapt in a Bo3 and make "The Reads!", and nothing has felt better in SFV than putting an opponent down like a bad magazine in a doctor's office.

zenspider

360s are easy!

720s are hard, but you just have to do them super fast. also combo them cause they combo now

I'm on hitbox and 360's are like DP fast, it's awesome. 720s are tough because I can do them too fast and have to learn the right timing to combo into them - can only do crMPxxCA semi-reliably so far.

If I start this job soon I'll be getting a new stick. Tired of buying wires and dumb little fixes.

Otherwise I'll have to wait for more clients to drop in and mannnnn that ain't fun.

If I start this job soon I'll be getting a new stick. Tired of buying wires and dumb little fixes.

Otherwise I'll have to wait for more clients to drop in and mannnnn that ain't fun.
I hope everything works out well!

I remember you posting about going to a job interview a few weeks earlier, did that not pan out?

I hope everything works out well!

I remember you posting about going to a job interview a few weeks earlier, did that not pan out?

Yeah! It went well actually. If the results are good I'll be able to stop freelancing. If not I have something else lined up but won't start that one for a while. I want the extra freedom of having a steadier income to spend on a nice stick this time tho.

Both Tekken and this game feel better on it for me. I was doing way better with Birdie at a friends house. So much so that I might stick with him lel

MrCarter

Tekken's "overall quality" isn't much higher.

You know what, you're right. It's silly how much of a free pass Tekken 7 is getting. High input delay, lack of a tutorial, content is sparse compared to previous games, broken online yet not a lot of people care.

myco666

Arcade mode, more characters and customatization goes a long way.

Gotta also remember SFV launch state.

16 characters
very short character stories with 1 round matches
survival which is godawful
no tutorial and no, the brief one at the start doesn't count
2 player lobbies
no runback in ranked or casuals
no shop

Basically nothing to do if you are SP only player since character stories were done in about an hour. Also no alt costumes unless you preordered the game from certain store and even then just one costume.

MrCarter

That's true but then again they didn't have 3 years to develop a home console version after the arcade release.

Also, Ed's back tattoo.

hLMkqGQ.jpg

Village

Ucchedavāda;239123094 said:
I was not even considering art or graphical quality when I made that statement, but rather the technical merits of the game.
I actually prefer SFV when it comes to aesthetics.

I prefer tekken personally

That's true but then again they didn't have 3 years to develop a home console version after the arcade release.

That sounds like a capcom problem.

Maybe they should allow developers to invest more time and money into their fighting games, and single player content and customization content so they might yield higher returns.

Because tekken and injustice seem to be proof of concept on that.

You know what, you're right. It's silly how much of a free pass Tekken 7 is getting. High input delay, lack of a tutorial, content is sparse compared to previous games, broken online yet not a lot of people care.

Well to be fair, most of those things don't matter to casual players, they only care about having some mode where they can fight trash input reading AI.

Neoxon

Arcade mode, more characters and customatization goes a long way.

Gotta also remember SFV launch state.

16 characters
very short character stories with 1 round matches
survival which is godawful
no tutorial and no, the brief one at the start doesn't count
2 player lobbies
no runback in ranked or casuals
no shop

Basically nothing to do if you are SP only player since character stories were done in about an hour. Also no alt costumes unless you preordered the game from certain store and even then just one costume.
To be fair, 16 characters is kinda the usual for a new Street Fighter game that started from scratch.

The additional time clearly helped tekken but let's be real here: delaying a product and still having issues is a blowup to me. Capcom rushed their shit out the door. Tekken didn't but still can't get their online working among other issues. Time and development don't matter. You can fuck is either way.

myco666

Well thats kinda irrelevant since most people don't care or even know how long the game has actually been in development. It just needs to have enjoyable modes and stuff to unlock which SFV didn't have until march and someone might argue that there still isn't enjoyable modes.

To be fair, 16 characters is kinda the usual for a new Street Fighter game that started from scratch.

Sure but from a casual standpoint that is very small amount.

Producer

I failed the wingless Airplane corner throw 150% of the time...and I have no fucking idea why.

I dont understand why, I never miss it or have trouble with it....but for some reason when I was playing against you.....every time. I dont get it.

Good games 765....

Sorry for the late reply, ggs man. And yeah i noticed that, everyone has those off days sometimes lol

Neoxon

Sure but from a casual standpoint that is very small amount.
Realistically, the only way they could have matched Injustice 2 or Tekken 7's rosters on Day 1 would either be reusing SFIV assets for the veterans (like Injustice 2 did with I1 assets) or releasing SFV in arcades first (like Tekken 7). You didn't see people complaining about Xrd's base roster.

myco666

Realistically, the only way they could have matched Injustice 2 or Tekken 7's rosters on Day 1 would either be reusing SFIV assets for the veterans (like Injustice 2 did with I1 assets) or releasing SFV in arcades first (like Tekken 7). You didn't see people complaining about Xrd's base roster.

Well yeah but again casuals don't care. They just want bunch of fighters and modes.

Xrd sold like what, 2 copies? People who were complaining about SFV probably didn't even know about Xrd not to mention that -Sign- didn't release in EU.

If there is one thing I hope they copy from Tekken 7, it's that jukebox mode.

It's so good having so much variety of music available to you. Imagine listening to Remy's theme in that Underground Arena stage!

inb4 PC version can do that already!

Well yeah but again casuals don't care. They just want bunch of fighters and modes.

Xrd sold like what, 2 copies? People who were complaining about SFV probably didn't even know about Xrd not to mention that -Sign- didn't release in EU.
TBH I just want more online modes that aren't tourney or online training. Give me a 2 v 2 mode, or 3 v 3 mode, etc.. Or scramble or something. I don't feel every fighting game needs a NRS quality story (especially when it results in more time into that and less into other modes)... Oh and FFA lobbies!

Skilletor

It's so good having so much variety of music available to you. Imagine listening to Remy's theme in that Underground Arena stage!

Kind of disappointed in jukebox mode, honestly. Thought I would be able to reassign tracks on a specific stage to old music, not listen to a spotify Tekken station while I'm playing.

It's cool, but I hope they expand the functionality.

Neoxon

Kind of disappointed in jukebox mode, honestly. Thought I would be able to reassign tracks on a specific stage to old music, not listen to a spotify Tekken station while I'm playing.

It's cool, but I hope they expand the functionality.
I was hoping for it to be like TTT2 where you could insert any song to a stage.

Thought I would be able to reassign tracks on a specific stage to old music,
But you can do exactly that. You have to make your own playlist where you can choose the song from any game for each stage, the character select screen, the main menu and the online menu.

I set G-Corp at night to Karma from Tekken 6, the Infinite Azure round1 theme for all rounds, Your Sunset from TTT2 for the online menu and a few others that I'm forgetting right now while keeping the rest default.

joe2187

Banned
Am I stupid? does T7 not have a dedicated character tutorial mode like T5 did?

It's been a decade since T5 and I dont remember any of Kings or Laws moves like I once did.

Birdie should be in Marvel. It's not fair.

Yes please.

That and a Tournament Mode with FM payouts (no inviting friends to avoid collusion, or do two separate ones to make it so people aren't scumming)

I need subtitles on the new information voice-overs. "You ... rank ... in the world"?
But the rank-up opportunity stuff is a pretty nifty addition.

myco666

TBH I just want more online modes that aren't tourney or online training. Give me a 2 v 2 mode, or 3 v 3 mode, etc.. Or scramble or something. I don't feel every fighting game needs a NRS quality story (especially when it results in more time into that and less into other modes)... Oh and FFA lobbies!

More online modes would be great and they would make sense since most people who are still going to play this game are people who spend a lot of time online.

MCD250

Ucchedavāda;239150154 said:
I need subtitles on the new information voice-overs. "You ... rank ... in the world"?
But the rank-up opportunity stuff is a pretty nifty addition.
Seriously, I can't make out what she's saying most of the time.

One time I heard her say something like "do your best", which I assume meant she thought I was gonna get bodied.

Skilletor

But you can do exactly that. You have to make your own playlist where you can choose the song from any game for each stage, the character select screen, the main menu and the online menu.

I set G-Corp at night to Karma from Tekken 6, the Infinite Azure round1 theme for all rounds, Your Sunset from TTT2 for the online menu and a few others that I'm forgetting right now while keeping the rest default.

Oh, nice. I didn't dig too deep. Thanks for the heads up!

Village

Does anyone know any decent Mika mods? I'm kinda tired of the official garb costumes she has.

While I think her costumes are dope

Let me link you to the mod forum

They are making a wiki like for the last game so you wont have to go to this forum eventually. This forum sometimes triggers false postives on virus stuff its fine

they have cool stuff like one that makes her angel from kof

and these that redo her costume two

This one is called frilly doll i believe

HArley

This one based on a rejected costume mod

and a bunch more stuff

So I got 80001 and 40006 errors on my first match, but it looks like the results still got recorded and that I still got the LP. If those errors are just visual jank, and not stuff actually failing to be recorded, then I can live with them.

Also just had a Juri quit on me in a mirror match. Shameful ...

EDIT: Beta breast physics?

Village

huh just noticed that. I can't find a non breast physics version of that mod, so that sucks guy if you are interested in that mod

MrCarter

Maybe they should allow developers to invest more time and money into their fighting games, and single player content and customization content so they might yield higher returns.

Because tekken and injustice seem to be proof of concept on that.

But the irony is, even with a lot more time and money than Capcom, Tekken 7 is still more barebones than previous iterations. Injustice/MK is probably a huge anomaly in the FG landscape due to Warner Bros literally pumping cash into them.

Well thats kinda irrelevant since most people don't care or even know how long the game has actually been in development. It just needs to have enjoyable modes and stuff to unlock which SFV didn't have until march and someone might argue that there still isn't enjoyable modes.

Well it is relevant because it gives us how much of a time frame they had to include content - which was more than 2 years after the arcade release. SFV obviously messed up their launch, not disagreeing with that at all, which is why I think they initially should have gone arcade only then developed a more polished console port.

Pompadour

The additional time clearly helped tekken but let's be real here: delaying a product and still having issues is a blowup to me. Capcom rushed their shit out the door. Tekken didn't but still can't get their online working among other issues. Time and development don't matter. You can fuck is either way.

Honestly, it's pretty crazy how long Tekken 7 was in development but it still had problems. Not all problems I cared about (lack of SP content) but the PS4 online being completely busted is a little mind blowing.

The only dev I think hits it out of the park on all fronts is NRS which makes it extra painful that their shit doesn't appeal to me whatsoever.

I think the solution is to turn over any workman-like aspects to Western devs (like netcode, matchmaking, loading, input lag, etc.) but keep everything that requires heart and soul made by Japan. And this isn't just a Tekken or SF thing because Xrd has abysmal online and they've apparently introduced a new bug that fucks up lobbies for some people so it's even worse now in Rev 2.

That all said I expect Tekken to fix their online shortly.

But the irony is, even with a lot more time and money than Capcom, Tekken 7 is still more barebones than previous iterations. Injustice/MK is probably a huge anomaly in the FG landscape due to Warner Bros literally pumping cash into them.

Doesn't IJ2 have microtransactions for a bunch of cosmetic shit that can be earned through playing? It's probably easier to get funding when you can sell millions as a $60 title and also have that freemium model. SFV is subsisting on the latter model but failed with the retail model.

Village

I personally want more companies to pump money into fighters. As for tekken, its even bare bones it has more stuff that have people interested in it than Street fighter it seems. I think that just says more about what people want in sf than whats lacking in tekken, cuz folks don't seem to care.

I think the solution is to turn over any workman-like aspects to Western devs (like netcode, matchmaking, loading, input lag, etc.) but keep everything that requires heart and soul made by Japan. And this isn't just a Tekken or SF thing because Xrd has abysmal online and they've apparently introduced a new bug that fucks up lobbies for some people so it's even worse now in Rev 2.
Western developers are not a panacea. Both Other Ocean (PS4 USFIV) and High Voltage (PC MKX) were western developers.

I have only really just started playing GG xrd but i really like its single player content. Just tons and tons of training and combos. Sure they have the equiv of arcade mode but as someone who finds fighting game AI mostly just annoying to fight (and just dumps it on easy) so i can practise combos instead of cheese it) i find the combo stuff way more interesting.

So its really good that they add new combo challenges to sfv as well.

I do enjoy the mk story mode they made but the towers and stuff can get boring pretty fast. Was better in mk9 when it was one massive tower with quirky challenges rather than the small towers with random mods.

I was tempted with tekken 7 but after seeing it i will wait for a heavy sale. I prefer 2d fighters anyway and the offline looks a bit uninteresting to me in its current state. Tekken used to be rammed full of dumb modes.

MrCarter

I personally want more companies to pump money into fighters. As for tekken, its even bare bones it has more stuff that have people interested in it than Street fighter it seems. I think that just says more about what people want in sf than whats lacking in tekken, cuz folks don't seem to care.

Yep ideally that's what I would want too but it seems like for Capcom, Resident Evil franchise is thier bread and butter when it comes to sales, so they care about it the most. Tekken still is barebones compared to previous titles but it had just about enough for the casuals. With SFV, I think they would have been fine if they only had a simple arcade mode with endings and maybe the tutorial, demonstrations and challenges - but greedy Capcom goofed it up.

MrCarter

YES, THIS!

I've always been adamant that Capcom should do this, especially when they have headquarters in USA, yet Capcom logic or licensing (?) doesn't see it that way. Ideally, the UX, netcode, servers, QoL and modes should be handled by Capcom USA while everything else in Capcom Japan.

YES, THIS!

I've always been adamant that Capcom should do this, especially when they have headquarters in USA, yet Capcom logic or licensing (?) doesn't see it that way. Ideally, the UX, netcode, servers, QoL and modes should be handled by Capcom USA while everything else in Capcom Japan.

It's far from ideal to work this way, you'll basically have teams that are constantly waiting on each other because they aren't in sync.

Pompadour

It's far from ideal to work this way, you'll basically have teams that are constantly waiting on each other because they aren't in sync.

Yeah, basically what I proposed is extremely unlikely and there's plenty of shit Western devs as well. It's just I'm afraid the shit that Japanese devs do right with fighting games will go unappreciated by the masses because they fuck up in ways that everyone notices (mostly quality of life shit).

I guess this isn't an issue for the FGs that still have arcade money to live off on but since Capcom has no arcade presence they're essentially fucked if their esports/games as a service plan doesn't pan out. I believe everyone would be happier with SFV if someone like Namco was their arcade distributor and it had another year in the oven making arcade revenue before it hit consoles.

I won my qualifier for this world gaming thing in Canada

I also won a raffle for SFV + Both season passes which I already have and they all have separate codes.

Willing to give them away tbh.

Under strict circumstances tbh.

Send me a PM if you don't play any of the following characters:

• Necalli
  • Mika
  • Rashid
  • Akuma
  • Balrog
  • Ibuki
  • Guile
  • Karin
  • Ken
  • Ryu
  • Urien
  • Zangrief
  • Juri
  • Ed
  • Fang
  • Bison
  • Birdie
  • Vega
  • Kolin
  • Chun
  • Cammy
  • Alex

Send me a PM if you haven't:

• Said anything stupid in the past year
  • Shilled for this game
  • Talked down on SF4
  • Disagreed with me on anything
  • Made a joke about Deejay
  • If you've said Laura is braindead, an easy character to use or made any negative comments towards B O N I T A
  • If you've said Elena is braindead, an easy character to use or made any negative comments towards H E A L I N G

thanks for trying

Top Bottom