• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

JusDoIt

This is a good choice , but problem is even in Alpha 3 everyone just fought Bison at the end.

I wish they made the story so that every set of characters have their own Sub-arcs and motivations.

This is what I mean by not having an overarching story. Everybody doesn't need to fight Bison at the end. Maybe Nash fights Bison. Maybe Rashid fights FANG. Maybe Ryu fights Necalli. Maybe Laura fights Ken. etc. Let them all go off and have their own storylines that may or may not intersect. Let it be determined by what makes sense for the character.

Shadoken

This is what I mean by not having an overarching story. Everybody doesn't need to fight Bison at the end. Maybe Nash fights Bison. Maybe Rashid fights FANG. Maybe Ryu fights Necalli. Maybe Laura fights Ken. etc. Let them all go off and have their own storylines that may or may not intersect. Let it be determined by what makes sense for the character.

Pretty much. It was disappointing to see Nash not be the one to defeat Bison :(

Oh no here comes Ryu to save the day for the millionth time again.

LakeEarth

The murdered zombie Nash is resurrected from the dead by the Illuminati in a dastardly plot to kill Bison, and in the process Nash sacrifices himself and Bison is ... absolutely fine. Barely even broke a sweat.

It's exactly like the first Rocky, if Rocky got knocked out in the first round. Great storytelling, Capcom!

Nephtes

Definitely something NRS figured out...
Liu Kang doesn't always have to win.

And like JusDoIt mentioned earlier, not everyone should have the big bad as the last boss.
Not everyone can win the whole tournament or even get to the final 8, but it doesn't mean their story is less meaningful.

"I lost... But I'll train harder! I'll be back, and next time, I'll be the one holding the trophy!" I mean, look at Punk.
Is his Evo 2017 story less interesting because he lost?
I would argue no, no it is not. It was an amazing ride watch him get there.
Same with many of the competition that was there not named "Tokido".

JusDoIt

Maybe Cammy fights the whole gauntlet of brainwashed Dolls. Maybe Chun finds out where Vega lives and attacks him coming out of the shower. Maybe Alex calls the police because he's worried these two dudes in hoodies are trying to rob him which causes Balrog to get shot by Peter and Ed to become an activist...

Mizerman

Definitely something NRS figured out...
Liu Kang doesn't always have to win.

And like JusDoIt mentioned earlier, not everyone should have the big bad as the last boss.
Not everyone can win the whole tournament or even get to the final 8, but it doesn't mean their story is less meaningful.

That's mainly because Liu Kang makes Ryu look like a dynamic character in comparison. He was literally a flat character prior to the reboot. Plus, he was upstaged by Scorpion and Sub-Zero

Does bison even give a shit about ryu at this point anyway? Or vice Versa?

Bison only cares about Ryu as a potential body for his Psycho Power. That's pretty much it.

ElFly

The murdered zombie Nash is resurrected from the dead by the Illuminati in a dastardly plot to kill Bison, and in the process Nash sacrifices himself and Bison is ... absolutely fine. Barely even broke a sweat.

It's exactly like the first Rocky, if Rocky got knocked out in the first round. Great storytelling, Capcom!

hahah that was the worst

at least swap bison for a damaged costume or something

Scotia

Banned
The lack of any sort of weight to the Guile/Nash reunion in story mode was incredibly disappointing.

This was easily the most disappointing part of the story mode for me. Guile has literally been looking for Nash since his introduction in this series, and the first time they see each other in God knows how many years and they barely say anything to each other. What the fuck

This was easily the most disappointing part of the story mode for me. Guile has literally been looking for Nash since his introduction in this series, and the first time they see each other in God knows how many years and they barely say anything to each other. What the fuck
*Nash and Guile stare at each other for 6 seconds*

Guile: " Sup? "

Nash: " Not much. You?"

Guile: "I'm good"

Nash: " Cool "

*Both Nash and Guile leave to defeat Bison *

sixghost

Can I get some clarification about how Dhalsim's teleport works when used as a wakeup option? The frame data says it has 1 frame of startup, but I've SPD'd a wakeup teleport with the EX SPD, dash HP SPD setup. According to the OKI calculator, the dash SPD hits on the opponents 3rd active frame. Yet if I do the dash cr.LP followup after the EX SPD if whiffs, even though that hits one frame earlier.

Is it even possible to meaty a wakeup teleport with a normal?

vg260

I know, right? It's even part of his original costume design.

Nephtes

Seriously... -_-
Did they list the story mode writer in the credits?

I'm telling you guys, the story mode in SFV was a subtle cry for help from the writer. They're in trouble like that guy stuck in that ATM that slipped people notes with their cash to get rescued. This person needs help, and I feel as the internet, it's our job to get this man/woman the help they deserve...

Scotia

Banned

You forgot the best part

Abel: You helped me, right?

Nash: .................

Abel: Thanks

*Nash leaves the room*

Can I get some clarification about how Dhalsim's teleport works when used as a wakeup option? The frame data says it has 1 frame of startup, but I've SPD'd a wakeup teleport with the EX SPD, dash HP SPD setup. According to the OKI calculator, the dash SPD hits on the opponents 3rd active frame. Yet if I do the dash cr.LP followup after the EX SPD if whiffs, even though that hits one frame earlier.

Is it even possible to meaty a wakeup teleport with a normal?

From the guide: "Frames 1-3 strike and projectile invincible; frames 4-25 completely invincible; model visible at 16th frame"

Command grabs aren't strikes.

looking at that list of costumes, I really hope Capcom brings back the halloween and previous released limited costumes.

Why don't you want my money capcom!?!?!?!

Ooh, I can actually do all of Necalli's trials.
I should stop fighting it and accept him as my new God like I'd originally planned way back when the game launched.

The should make a story mode lack the old smackdown story modes. Create a character, compete at tournament, money matches, side, socialize with Justin Wong, get jumped by Mankind in a boileroom

tumblr_n87rklzHnb1rka1sjo1_400.gif

Street Fighter needs more hit and runs.

Nash ain't that strong tho. And his only purpose was to suck (lol) enough psycho energy from Bison so he could finish the job. That's why the whole scene with Abel was a thing. He literally made it so Ryu could fight on par. That was the one part that was obvious to me that somehow others didn't get.

The Guile and Nash part was so dumb. Really should have given them more time.

MCD250

One of my favourite things about being a Mika player is seeing what win screen I will get.

weLmkPY.jpg
I went the longest time thinking that something about the game engine or the way they built her character model or SOMETHING must have made it impossible for her to not have pigtails, because literally all of her costumes had them. I was super shocked when I saw them missing from her cheerleader outfit.

I went the longest time thinking that something about the game engine or the way they built her character model or SOMETHING must have made it impossible for her to not have pigtails, because literally all of her costumes had them. I was super shocked when I saw them missing from her cheerleader outfit.

and it made he hair even more awesome lol. Before it was mostly just covering her face. How it just goes through it.

Shadoken

Evo 2017 Top 8 is the best Story mode for SFV.

"No need for talk , lets do this"

Teh Lurv

looking at that list of costumes, I really hope Capcom brings back the halloween and previous released limited costumes.

Why don't you want my money capcom!?!?!?!

Capcom has been hanging around Nintendo too much.

Nintendo: You see, by NOT selling what your customers want, you'll make more profit.

Capcom: hmmm...

Capcom has been hanging around Nintendo too much.

Nintendo: You see, by NOT selling what your customers want, you'll make more profit.

Capcom: hmmm...

image.php

You're probably right, thats the annoying part...
At the very least during the Capcom cup, or during halloween, create new content and sell the old ones during that small window also. Fuck it i'll buy both, just take my stupid money!

FluxWaveZ

GGs Producer. I've been playing a lot of Ryu lately, because I want to finally, really improve at the basics of this game, so that I can carry it over to my other characters. When we started, I was still playing him a bit too much like he was Mika, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Ryu requires such an interesting, very deliberate pace that I'm not used to doing. I like it, though. It really feels like you're playing well when you've got the right reads and are shutting down all of the opponent's approaches.

Haggar confirmed for MvC. Doubt hes gonna come to SFV then.

Thank god.

The should make a story mode lack the old smackdown story modes. Create a character, compete at tournament, money matches, side, socialize with Justin Wong, get jumped by Mankind in a boileroom

I was actually hoping story mode would be like that where you fly around the world in hopes of winning Capcom Cup. Each opponent would main a certain character. Thought it could tie in to their esports.

If they wanted actual lore, I thought it would make sense for the game to not have one huge story tie every character together. Something more focused is where I would have went if I was in charge. Explore the shoto story. Explore the Nash Guile Illuminati thing. Explore Illuminati vs Shadoloo. Just don't tie it to some huge overarching story involving gathering up all the good guys. I don't think every character needs a story mode like that. If players wanted their own character to have a bit of single player fun, the arcade mode would satisfy that want.

This is a good choice , but problem is even in Alpha 3 everyone just fought Bison at the end.

I wish they made the story so that every set of characters have their own Sub-arcs and motivations. I really hate how Necalli was dragged into the Bison plot line , him Akuma and Ryu should have been their own Arc while Guile,Nash,Chun deal with Bison.

I liked the part where Juri,Nash,Kolin and Rashid team up , it was the only redeeming part of the story.

Basically this.

Soulstar

I fail to see how making the story of the game a tournament makes it even remotely better. As far as I'm concerned the main issue with the story was mostly in it's execution but Karin was awesome so I'll give it a pass.

HardRojo

I loved Rashid in the story mode, it made me appreciate his character a lot more, but other than that, yeah, some interactions and whatever they did with Nash at the end really sucked.

Producer

GGs Producer. I've been playing a lot of Ryu lately, because I want to finally, really improve at the basics of this game, so that I can carry it over to my other characters. When we started, I was still playing him a bit too much like he was Mika, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Ryu requires such an interesting, very deliberate pace that I'm not used to doing. I like it, though. It really feels like you're playing well when you've got the right reads and are shutting down all of the opponent's approaches.

GGs man. At first i thought you were trolling me picking ryu haha but i did kinda figure you wanted to use him to improve your overall game. When you got the hang of it more it def felt like a wall. Im kinda glad i did as well as i did, even though thats probably like your 5th character lol

Blueblur1

This ESL show kinda blows. They don't show full matches and have some lame narration over it. I'm happy for the players but I don't know if this is going to get decent ratings.

TronWayne

I've been fighting so many Ryu's lately who do nothing but back jump and hadoken until they hit the corner. Then if I don't pin them down they do it all the way across again. It's easy to beat but I'll never understand how that is fun, but I guess at my level it can be.

Top Bottom