• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

LakeEarth

Alex will be left behind by Abigail

I don't see the overlap in player usage being a given. Like, I like Alex, but do not like playing Zangief even they're both in the 'grappler' category. Abigail looks to a long poke heavy that's going to rely on armor moves. I might still like him, but I can't see him "replacing" Alex.

If we were going to compare Alex to another character in Street Fighter, it'd be Honda. Mobility limited, but not to the same degree as Zangief/Hugo, good pokes, similar specials that add to his mobility (headbutt/elbow, buttstomp/stomps). It's not exact, but there's similarities.

It is pretty weird how many costumes Alex gets. I like the guy but I never thought he was popular. Maybe Alex fans have more $$$ than Birdie and FANG fans.

PSN calls the Battle Costume bundle "Original Characters Battle Costume Pack 1" so maybe they'll do a second set and some non-shoto, non-women characters can get some love.
It might be because people are buying his costumes a lot. I know personally I bought all of Alex, Ryu, Chun, and Cammy outfits despite my main being Laura (I only have her xmas costume)

It's like with DoA 5 and some getting more than others. Like if that male swimsuit pack didn't bomb, we probably would have got more.

MCD250

Best costumes:

Premium Ryu
Premium Laura
Premium Juri
Story Karin
Halloween Cammy
Halloween Necalli
Premium Gief
Business Chun
Business Alex
Premium Ed
Swimsuit Ibuki
School Juri
Default Urien
Default Bipson

Best costumes:

Premium Ryu
Premium Laura
Premium Juri
Story Karin
Halloween Cammy
Halloween Necalli
Premium Gief
Business Chun
Business Alex
Premium Ed
Swimsuit Ibuki
School Juri
Default Urien
Default Bipson
Puts 14 costumes on the best costumes list, doesn't list Valedictorian Chun-Li.

Shame on you.

ElFly

Alex is a cool design and idea, but the execution has never been there, not in the 3 days, not today

I don't hate him, just wish he wasn't ass as a grappler

Nephtes

What do we bitch about now that the nostalgia outfits are coming?

So many things...
- ridiculous story mode
- continued lack of arcade mode
- Crappy UI that does a poor job of showing you what you're buying from the shop, complete with tiny pictures that require squinting to see the costume and un-funny Dan explanations of everything.
- Cammy default costume that can't be displayed on American TV
- in game camera operated by some perverted guy who likes shoving the camera up Cammy's ass crack.
- Ken's stupid banana bangs still clip through his shoulders on the character select and vs screen...

I mean, do you need me to continue?

Shame on you.

Nah Hentai Office Chun Li is best.

So many things...
- ridiculous story mode
- Crappy UI that does a poor job of showing you what you're buying from the shop, complete with tiny pictures that require squinting to see the costume and un-funny Dan explanations of everything.
- in game camera operated by some perverted guy who likes shoving the camera up Cammy's ass crack.
- Ken's stupid banana bangs still clip through his shoulders on the character select and vs screen...

They aren't going to change the story mode. And unless you are NRS, a fighting game story mode is going to be booty (for numerous reasons, in SF's case, they have no lore tro drawn upon and no time to expand anything).

UI in the shops def needs an overhaul, but the clipping is likely a UE4 problem and wont' be fixed until forever. That shit is a problem in Tekken as well. It is what it is.

Mizerman

So many things...
- ridiculous story mode

It's SF. You're never gonna get a super deep story even on its best day.

The UI needs to be improved, yes.

The clipping for some reason is a UE thing. I dunno why. I see it in Tekken and Injustice and don't know why they're unable to improve it.

Skilletor

So many things...
- ridiculous story mode

I was being facetious, obviously. lol

Cammy outfit was fine on TBS, btw.

Arcade mode is the correct answer.

MCD250

Shame on you.
That one's good but I feel like it's a little too elaborate tbh. I think business Chun keeps things classy and streamlined.

Forgot to add:

Nostalgia Akuma
Nostalgia Kolin
Story Chun
Premium Chun

Chun has a lot of good ones.

Nah Hentai Office Chun Li is best.

They aren't going to change the story mode. And unless you are NRS, a fighting game story mode is going to be booty (for numerous reasons, in SF's case, they have no lore tro drawn upon and no time to expand anything).

UI in the shops def needs an overhaul, but the clipping is likely a UE4 problem and wont' be fixed until forever. That shit is a problem in Tekken as well. It is what it is.
I thought both the MK story modes were booty tbh. Haven't tried Injustice tho.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So many things...
- ridiculous story mode

This list of complaints is even weaker than just saying "player 2 rematch" over and over.

Scotia

Banned
Right, let's do this:

So many things...
- ridiculous story mode

In your opinion. I enjoyed it and liked it for what it was

Ah yes, Arcade Mode. The mode everybody wants but no one will play.

- Crappy UI that does a poor job of showing you what you're buying from the shop, complete with tiny pictures that require squinting to see the costume

I'll give you this. Not being able to see what the colour actually looks like before buying it is dumb.

and un-funny Dan explanations of everything.

Eh, I like it. Seeing as I don't want Dan in the game, I'm fine with him being relegated to this.

Not Capcom's fault. Blame ESPN and the SF2 character designers.

Well, Capcom actually changed the camera angles to be less pervy before the game came out, so take that as you will

Lots of things clip in this game. I think it's something that Capcom needs to sort out but it's at the bottom on their list of priorities, and I'm fine with that.

No, I don't.

Mizerman

I thought both the MK story modes were booty tbh. Haven't tried Injustice tho.

Injustice's story modes are...alright. But they do tend to slant towards Batman narrative wise.

Plus, Injustice!Superman is just an extreme version of Justice Lord!Superman.

Nephtes

This is mind boggling to me that anyone could say that.

Street Fighter's story is such an easy fix.
The answer is right in Capcom's face and they're too stupid to leverage it.

Look at all the pre-SFV hype Capcom put out.
It was all about the thrill of the fight and the competition (centered around E-sports). People tuned in to EVO in the hundreds of thousands not to watch some stupid anime about fighters banded together to take on a super villain moon base plot ... They tuned in to watch competition between the best SFV players in the world to see who is the best.

Street Fighter needs to dump the attempts to outdo the 1990s live action movie camp and needs to present Street Fighter's story as one of competition between fighters to see who is the best.

This is why the Mortal Kombat movie worked and the Street Fighter one did not. Mortal Kombat was about saving the world at the high level, but at its core it was about a tournament.

Realign Street Fighter's story around that of a tournament. One where there are multiple a year (kind of like the Capcom Pro Tour). Each character in this vein could tell a story of them winning one of those tournaments. Tournaments hosted by SIN or Shadowloo or the Illuminati or whoever... But at it's core.. the game's story would be widely more effective if it mimiced a tournament. This would also cut down on garbage reasons the game gives for the fighting in that 50% of the time it's "grr! Let's fight now!"
Give the characters tournament about fighting, and tah day, reason built in.

More Bloodsport or Enter the Dragon... Less... Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Another big step Capcom could take cleaning up the story?
Learning to respect their characters.

The way they've personified characters like Laura or Ibuki or pretty much anyone not Ryu is embarrassing. Their personalities in the story mode do not match the competent fighters displayed in the actual gameplay.

Take Laura for instance. Prior to story mode, I thought she was like Makoto, a practicioner of a martial art, looking to spread it to the world. But in story mode? She's an air headed idiot that doesn't know friend from foe and constantly riffs on and on about her brother needing a girlfriend? What is this shit?

Before story mode, I thought maybe she would be in the vein of a Rhonda Rousey or other female MMA fighter, but the writer of SFV said, "nope, let's camp this shit up."

In closing Capcom needs to:
1. Ditch the gathering of fighters saving the world schtick left over from the 1990s live action Street Fighter
2. Center the story around something Capcom does well (tournaments, spirit of competition, etc.)
3. Respect the characters

Take Laura for instance. Prior to story mode, I thought she was like Makoto, a practicioner of a martial art, looking to spread it to the world. But in story mode? She's an air headed idiot that doesn't know friend from for and constantly riffs on and on about her brother needing a boyfriend? What is this shit?

How Laura was presented in the story mode was in line with the character they presented via her character story, voice lines, and win-quotes. I am actually surprised that you thought she was anything like Makoto in terms of personality, except insofar that both wants to spread their martial arts.

I don't. He's not cool like ryo, he's a joke that long stopped being relevant or funny.

Put in a real character
And yet you guys are happy when they waste a spot on a joke that was never funny, Alex.

200.gif

sixghost

So how does Zangief beat Dhalsim? I never played this matchup before today but it seems basically impossible if the Dhalsim can anti-air properly.

Producer

a legit complaint: why isnt the friend/favorites list diplayed in the main menu? Having to go to cfn page, and then favorites just to see who is online is so stupid.

JusDoIt

This is mind boggling to me that anyone could say that.

Street Fighter's story is such an easy fix.
The answer is right in Capcom's face and they're too stupid to leverage it.

Look at all the pre-SFV hype Capcom put out.
It was all about the thrill of the fight and the competition (centered around E-sports). People tuned in to EVO in the hundreds of thousands not to watch some stupid anime about fighters banded together to take on a super villain moon base plot ... They tuned in to watch competition between the best SFV players in the world to see who is the best.

Street Fighter needs to dump the attempts to outdo the 1990s live action movie camp and needs to present Street Fighter's story as one of competition between fighters to see who is the best.

This is why the Mortal Kombat movie worked and the Street Fighter one did not. Mortal Kombat was about saving the world at the high level, but at its core it was about a tournament.

Realign Street Fighter's story around that of a tournament. One where there are multiple a year (kind of like the Capcom Pro Tour). Each character in this vein could tell a story of them winning one of those tournaments. Tournaments hosted by SIN or Shadowloo or the Illuminati or whoever... But at it's core.. the game's story would be widely more effective if it mimiced a tournament.

More Bloodsport or Enter the Dragon... Less... Saturday Morning Cartoon.

Another big step Capcom could take cleaning up the story?
Learning to respect their characters.

The way they've personified characters like Laura or Ibuki or pretty much anyone not Ryu is embarrassing. Their personalities in the story mode do not match the competent fighters displayed in the actual gameplay.

Take Laura for instance. Prior to story mode, I thought she was like Makoto, a practicioner of a martial art, looking to spread it to the world. But in story mode? She's an air headed idiot that doesn't know friend from foe and constantly riffs on and on about her brother needing a girlfriend? What is this shit?

Before story mode, I thought maybe she would be in the vein of a Rhonda Rousey or other female MMA fighter, but the writer of SFV said, "nope, let's camp this shit up."

In closing Capcom needs to:
1. Ditch the gathering of fighters saving the world schtick left over from the 1990s live action Street Fighter
2. Center the story around something Capcom does well (tournaments, spirit of competition, etc.)
3. Respect the characters

Street Fighter's story can be fixed. The whole idea of a World Warrior Tournament has virtually been brought to life by the FGC, with dozens of players traveling around the world constantly to compete. A story that emphasized that would be more focused on character instead of dumb action movie plots and it would have resonance with the competitive scene.

That said, Street Fighter's story won't be fixed because Capcom don't got the budget for all that. NRS got Warner Bros. money to make super hero movies in their games. Capcom don't.

MCD250

So how does Zangief beat Dhalsim? I never played this matchup before today but it seems basically impossible if the Dhalsim can anti-air properly.
That's easily the worst matchup in the entire game. But it's always been like that, so nothing new there. You basically have to hope that you get lucky and the Sim makes mistakes.

Nephtes

Street Fighter's story can be fixed. The whole idea of a World Warrior Tournament has virtually been brought to life by the FGC, with dozens of players traveling around the world constantly to compete. A story that emphasized that would be more focused on character instead of dumb action movie plots and it would have resonance with the competitive scene.

That said, Street Fighter's story won't be fixed because Capcom don't got the budget for all that. NRS got Warner Bros. money to make super hero movies in their games. Capcom don't.

Please.
I could write a more coherent story based around the World Warrior tournament, using 2D character art with word balloons, and have it cost less than whatever that thing is we received that Capcom called a "story mode".

Would it be as slick as the Injustice 2 story mode with the fancy animated cutscenes and what not?
No.
But it would be 400% more enjoyable and 1,500,000% less embarrassing to watch than what we got.

Edit: Capcom, if you're listening, I can totally do this for you. I'm a programmer/writer/UI developer and I actually have the skills to accomplish a non-embarrasing to watch story mode for your game. But I don't want to leave New Orleans, so you'll have to pay me to work from home if you want me to fix your broken story thing.

Teh Lurv

a legit complaint: why isnt the friend/favorites list diplayed in the main menu? Having to go to cfn page, and then favorites just to see who is online is so stupid.

Yeah, that's annoying. The game also needs a better invitation paging system. Unless you notice the page right away, you'd never know you got one until you check the system message screen.

Top Bottom