• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Waitaminute, did they put the Survival-locked ones in the Shop? I haven't focused on color news over the past year, just costumes

You can buy colors 1-10 for everyone's default and story costumes. They're in packs though. Default and Story for Original Cast, Season 1, and Season 2. Fight Money or Real cash too, which is nice.

SlimXx

abidrm.gif

Teh Lurv

That one trial with the Knee Hammer is maddening, the only one that gave me trouble with him.

Same. I think I was stuck on trial 7 for a half hour before I realized the knee hammer needs to connect at the last possible second while gief is descending in order to connect to the light kick. I was ready to throw my stick at that point.

Did this interview get posted? I thought it was pretty nice

Capcom really need to take our word into consideration instead of doing it their way. Reddit has threads listing all the issues CFN 2.0 didn't fixed after a year.

The GGPO panel explained why SF5's netcode is a mess.

And all we got are news about new costumes as if the programmer are done working on SFV.

joe2187

Banned
Same. I think I was stuck on trial 7 for a half hour before I realized the knee hammer needs to connect at the last possible second while gief is descending in order to connect to the light kick. I was ready to throw my stick at that point.

I cannot connect his lariat from his st.LK, after any previous moves no matter how fast I try and do it either.

I feel like Im doing 1 frame links with SFIV trials.

Capcom really need to take our word into consideration instead of doing it their way. Reddit has threads listing all the issues CFN 2.0 didn't fixed after a year.

The GGPO panel explained why SF5's netcode is a mess.

And all we got are news about new costumes as if the programmer are done working on SFV.

They've been tight-lipped about most of what they've been working for the majority of the game's lifetime. It sucks, but the current silence should hardly surprise you.

Edit: Speaking of which, from Japanese CFN:
Content of work · Distribution of "Abigail" · Revision of some functions
http://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/systemfault/131875

joe2187

Banned
I still think it's crazy that Ibuki's getting two costumes tomorrow and she also got a costume a month ago.

More nostalgia costumes will probably be announced for the rest of the cast on the 30th.

Or sports costumes, or School costumes...

they really are kind of throwing all kinds of themes out with no real coherency...it's kind of annoying.

Ucchedavāda;244415262 said:
They've been tight-lipped about most of what they've been working for the majority of the game's lifetime. It sucks, but the current silence should hardly surprise you.

Being long winded hasn't honestly worked for them in the past. Not to say they shouldn't be more open than they currently are, especially when they have such neat treats coming in the not-too-far future, but this is a community and game that is really torn between having to focus on what is here & now, whilst also keeping them enticed in whats coming next.

Capcom's Community efforts obviously need an overhaul, to be clear, but their CMs have a very tough balancing act, much hard than most give them credit for anyway.

MCD250

More nostalgia costumes will probably be announced for the rest of the cast on the 30th.

Or sports costumes, or School costumes...

they really are kind of throwing all kinds of themes out with no real coherency...it's kind of annoying.
Next theme should be middle age.

Soccer Mom Chun. Dad Bod Ryu. Cougar Mika. Divorced Vega.

kirblar

Being long winded hasn't honestly worked for them in the past. Not to say they shouldn't be more open than they currently are, especially when they have such neat treats coming in the not-too-far future, but this is a community and game that is really torn between having to focus on what is here & now, whilst also keeping them enticed in whats coming next.

Capcom's Community efforts obviously need an overhaul, to be clear, but their CMs have a very tough balancing act, much hard than most give them credit for anyway.
I feel like the year-long content delivery really isn't working for them. I almost wonder if it'd be better if they frontloaded the characters in the Dec->July timeframe and relied on other content to fill the gaps the rest of the year.

I look at HOTS, which has an insane pace with new characters and cosmetics being released, then look at SFV, and they've tried to do the same model with like, 1/3rd the content.

I feel like the year-long content delivery really isn't working for them. I almost wonder if it'd be better if they frontloaded the characters in the Dec->July timeframe and relied on other content to fill the gaps the rest of the year.

I look at HOTS, which has an insane pace with new characters and cosmetics being released, then look at SFV, and they've tried to do the same model with like, 1/3rd the content.
Well, look at Overwatch. This year they've released a single character and a single map, with the next character launching properly this week. Different styles of games just demand different kinds of pacings.

kirblar

Well, look at Overwatch. This year they've released a single character and a single map, with the next character launching properly this week. Different styles of games just demand different kinds of pacings.
They've also released a shit-ton of cosmetics, multiple extra pvp maps, a horde mode, etc. OW does a ton of content as well, and 3 characters and 3 maps a year for them is a really strong pace.

They've also released a shit-ton of cosmetics, multiple extra pvp maps, a horde mode, etc. OW does a ton of content as well, and 3 characters and 3 maps a year for them is a really strong pace.
Only a single map has been released this year, and pretty recently. The horde mode stuff was a gimmick for one of the events that is no longer available.

kirblar

Only a single map has been released this year, and pretty recently. The horde mode stuff was a gimmick for one of the events that is no longer available.
Eichenwald was September '16
Oasis was in January.
Horizon was June.

1.1 Ana
1.2 Summer Games
1.3 Eichenwalde
1.4 Halloween
1.5 Sombra
1.6 Oasis and Xmas
1.7 Chinese New Year
1.8 Game Browser
1.9 Orisa
1.10 Uprising Event
1.11 Anniversary Event
1.12 Horizon
1.13 Doomfist

They very much have a Character-Event-Map-Event-Character...etc soft pattern going on.

It's worth mentioning that a map in Overwatch requires more time and manpower and design work as compared to a fighting game stage (At least for a transition less stage)

Eichenwald was September '16
Oasis was in January.
Horizon was June.

They very much have a Character-Event-Map-Event-Character...etc soft pattern going on.
Oh yeah, I still had Oasis in December in my head due to its PTR rollout, heh. It's still an illustration that you can't expect the same frequency of MOBA churn with another genre.

While I admit there is a lot of room to criticize Capcom, the content delivery system is honestly not really a glaring one imo. I don't think launching the characters in a tighter window is really all that beneficial because new characters in the game take time before they get their competitive footing, so having a season's worth out in the first 6 months of a calendar year is honestly sorta pointless.

Its very difficult to compare the content pipelines for games that are in different genres, and have entirely different funding & development structures for their content creation. Thats not to say the funding for SFV content is anemic compared to Blizzard's funding for HOTS, but this isn't an apples to apples comparison. In fact, I know that SFV's digital returns have been doing well enough that budget is going to be increasing going forward into the new slate of content set for later.

I personally don't feel SFV needs to release characters as frequently as HOTS does. I've found the content they've had this year to be more refreshing these last few months in particular; the stages have looked great, the refinements they've made to already released stages have been greatly appreciated, and the slate of new cosmetics is among some of my favorite the game has received since launch.

kirblar

While I admit there is a lot of room to criticize Capcom, the content delivery system is honestly not really a glaring one imo. I don't think launching the characters in a tighter window is really all that beneficial because new characters in the game take time before they get their competitive footing, so having a season's worth out in the first 6 months of a calendar year is honestly sorta pointless.

Its very difficult to compare the content pipelines for games that are in different genres, and have entirely different funding & development structures for their content creation. Thats not to say the funding for SFV content is anemic compared to Blizzard's funding for HOTS, but this isn't an apples to apples comparison. In fact, I know that SFV's digital returns have been doing well enough that budget is going to be increasing going forward into the new slate of content set for later.

I personally don't feel SFV needs to release characters as frequently as HOTS does. I've found the content they've had this year to be more refreshing these last few months in particular; the stages have looked great, the refinements they've made to already release dstages have been greatly appreciated, and the slate of new cosmetics is among some of my favorite the game has received since launch.
I think the game would benefit from a more consistent stream of characters in the first part of the season. If all of them were out by EVO or shortly after, then everyone has the rest of the season to let them sink in, I think you end up in an overall better spot if you're releasing 6 characters in 8-9 months (Dec->July/August) than if you're trying to stretch them over the entire year. I think you want a hype train that keeps rolling and then has a final character releasing just after EVO, encouraging people to buy in to the season pass.

They could never release characters as frequently as HOTS does and shouldn't try- that game has an absurdly fast release schedule w/ 1 new character every 3.5 weeks.

edit: To expand on why I think this way- it has to do with the way people play characters in a MOBA vs the way they play them in a Fighting Game. When a batch of characters comes out in a fighting game, most people don't play all of them. They find one or two that work for them and sink their teeth into them. This is the opposite of a MOBA, where pick/bans/counters/etc mean you need to have a hero pool that's far more diverse than in a Fighting Game, which rewards you far more greatly for deep character experience practice and knowledge. This is why I much prefer a condensed release for Fighting Games- so that if one character in a season isn't for you- Don't Worry, the next one around the corner just might be!

I dont have enough Cap Cash for all the stuff I want either. I'll buy Abigail with real money at least. Still...

Ryu stage 70k
Abigail stage 70k
Abigail Story costume 40k
Default costume colors 40k
Story costume colors 40k

Total 260k

I dont have enough Cap Cash for all the stuff I want either. I'll buy Abigail with real money at least. Still...

Ryu stage 70k
Abigail stage 70k
Abigail Story costume 40k
Default costume colors 40k
Story costume colors 40k

Total 260k

Remember that we'll be getting a 30k FM bonus soon. That should help a bit.

MrCarter

It's worth mentioning that a map in Overwatch requires more time and manpower and design work as compared to a fighting game stage (At least for a transition less stage)

I don't think that's necessarily true. Although fighting game stages are smaller than a shooter map the amount of detail that goes into making a fighting game stage is far higher. This year alone Capcom released Thailand, Metro, Italy, CPT stage and Ryu stage so far (along with their elaborate themes) and all of them look great with an insane amount of work. Same goes for the stages in T7 or GG.

The Spoiler last night lol

I don't think that's necessarily true. Although fighting game stages are smaller than a shooter map the amount of detail that goes into making a fighting game stage is far higher. This year alone Capcom released Thailand, Metro, Italy, CPT stage and Ryu stage so far (along with their elaborate themes) and all of them look great with an insane amount of work. Same goes for the stages in T7 or GG.

The Spoiler last night lol

That's true, but maps in shooters need to be designed in a way to facilitate great gameplay. Fighting game maps just have to be pretty.

That 30k fm should get me just under 100k. Picking up ether Kolin or Ibuki.

How often does season 1 go on sale?

I have seen the Season 2 pass go on sale a few times at greenmangaming.com It was 20 or 25% off, IIRC. I've never noticed it on sale at Steam.
Before buying any characters with in-game currency, I'd want to be VERY sure I wasnt going to buy the season pass. 100k is a lot of in-game money to waste.

Marvel

could never
The fuck is up with these godlike super silvers not letting letting me touch em, but I walk all over Golds. Lol

Top Bottom