• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

Shadoken

According to?

When Capcom did their big poll a few years back, Yun and Yang were pretty far down the list.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013...-fighter-favorite-characters-popularity-poll/

That list isnt gospel , it gives a rough idea. Yun is still above characters like Viper,Balrog,Sim. Who are either already in or rumoured to get in.

Also popularity changes , if you held that poll right now I really doubt someone like Karin and Mika would be top and you would have other characters missing now moving up top. Before SFxT released characters like Poison,Hugo and Rolento were near the top. But look at the drop they had.

Another thing is a lot of characters have loud vocal fanbases , look at where Balrog is on that list. And then compare to Balrog actual popularity. So many people play him , even back in S1.

JusDoIt

Even with Menat and Zeku, SFV still has the fewest amount of brand new/first time playable characters of the various SF sub-series (II, Alpha, III, and IV). I'd really like to see more more new faces in future seasons.

If I'm not missing any, SF4 added 11 by Ultra (Abel, C. Viper, Fuerte, Gouken, Hakan, Juri, Oni, Rufus, Seth, Decapre, and Poison).

SFV will be at 9 by the end of this season. I think it's on pace with the newcomers.

Before Capcpom announced Birdie for SFV, he had literally dozens of fans around the world.

Now that Abigail is out, he'll go back to having only dozens of fans.
This.

If only he didn't have to play so damn honest much of the time.
ex bullhorn is honest? Spamming lp and his sweep (safe on block and super hard to punish) is honest?

I dunno, the 50/50 based characters get a lot of hate, but I'm not about to call Birdie honest just because his revolves around reads, he has derp.

Ryu is honest, Fang is honest (once you realize he's not always safe) Alex is honest, etc...

joe2187

Banned
Before Capcpom announced Birdie for SFV, he had literally dozens of fans around the world.

Now that Abigail is out, he'll go back to having only dozens of fans.
This.

If only he didn't have to play so damn honest much of the time.

20264533_10155683883914756_3438044143351971621_n.jpg

ex bullhorn is honest? Spamming lp and his sweep (safe on block and super hard to punish) is honest?

I dunno, the 50/50 based characters get a lot of hate, but I'm not about to call Birdie honest just because his revolves around reads, he has derp.

Ryu is honest, Fang is honest (once you realize he's not always safe) Alex is honest, etc...
Again, it's EX bullhead, not EX bullhorn. It's only when he has V-Trigger. it costs meter. And I've said time and time again that that move should NOT have frame-1 armour. At least it's -5 oB now so it's SOMETHING. His sweep is only safe on block at max range, you can't exactly spam that shit and get away with it against everyone. Chun can definitely EX legs, FANG and Karin can punish back with a sweep (I think), and Ken might be able to EX tatsu.

and lol, if Birdie isn't honest then who is!!

Ryu isn't just honest, he's shit. FANG is not honest lol you probably haven't seem some dirty AF mixups with the trap in S2/S2.5. Alex is arguably honest but again, like Ryu he is shit.

The difference between Birdie and those 3 is that Birdie can't maintain pressure as well, and that Birdie is actually good unlike these 3.
Holy Shit.

kirblar

Birdie has a very hard time maintaining pressure relative to other characters. He's got cheap stuff, but everyone should.

Again, it's EX bullhead, not EX bullhorn. It's only when he has V-Trigger. it costs meter. And I've said time and time again that that move should NOT have frame-1 armour.

and lol, if Birdie isn't honest then who is!!

Ryu isn't just honest, he's shit. FANG is not honest lol you probably haven't seem some dirty AF mixups with the trap in S2/S2.5. Alex is arguably honest but again, like Ryu he is shit.

The difference between Birdie and those 3 is that Birdie can't maintain pressure as well, and that Birdie is actually good unlike these 3.
Holy Shit.
Point taken, but still you get vtrigger every round, it's cheap, and Birdie gets to use it every round. I'm not gonna brush that under the rug. Until that crap is removed I ain't giving him the "honest" title!

Main point there's something derp about just every character. Even Juri, lol...some of her moves are clearly designed for you to think it's your turn. But as you said, overall a weaker character like Alex and Ryu.

I like Ed and Kolin though in that "honest"category. And by SFV standards Birdie is honest, but I can't stand him as he's basically a shoto killer and that ex move is poo.

Neoxon

If I'm not missing any, SF4 added 11 by Ultra (Abel, C. Viper, Fuerte, Gouken, Hakan, Juri, Oni, Rufus, Seth, Decapre, and Poison).

SFV will be at 9 by the end of this season. I think it's on pace with the newcomers.
This means if we're on track to at least match USFIV in terms of newcomers by the end of Season 5. Even if we get, say, 2 newcomers in Season 3, we would already match USFIV's newcomer count.

Point taken, but still you get vtrigger every round, it's cheap, and Birdie gets to use it every round. I'm not gonna brush that under the rug. Until that crap is removed I ain't giving him the "honest" title!

Main point there's something derp about just every character. Even Juri, lol...some of her moves are clearly designed for you to think it's your turn. But as you said, overall a weaker character like Alex and Ryu.

I like Ed and Kolin though in that "honest"category. And by SFV standards Birdie is honest, but I can't stand him as he's basically a shoto killer and that ex move is poo.
You play a character that has throw loops, a comboable overhead, a Heavy Tatsu that's -2 oB in V-Trigger and the ability to cancel a DP into V-Trigger.

I don't care what you think is honest.

myco666

Spamming lp? What kind of problem is that?

Sweep that doesn't give you anything from a safeish range is a problem?

Also EX Bullhorn is honest. V-trigger EX Bullhead is dumb as hell for sure though.

You play a character that has throw loops, a comboable overhead, a Heavy Tatsu that's -2 oB in V-Trigger and the ability to cancel a DP into V-Trigger.

I don't care what you think is honest.
i also play Ryu tho ;-)

And what is DP into trigger mean? How is that cheap? They aren't invincible anymore?

Spamming lp? What kind of problem is that?

Sweep that doesn't give you anything from a safeish range is a problem?

Also EX Bullhorn is honest. V-trigger EX Bullhead is dumb as hell for sure though.
the range on his jab is ridiculous and it's crazy safe. And you get a KD from deep lol, that's pretty good for basically a safe move, what are you even defending here mate lol. I didn't say he's a dumb character that requires no skill to play, just that even he has derp.

Shadoken

The one thing that bugs me about Birdie is that SOME characters can punish EX Bull w/e and some cant. Like just why?

Either make it -2 and make it safe against everyone , or make it something like -8. But no its -5 and only those special characters with long reach 5f moves can punish it.

Though tbh, a truly honest character with 0 bullshit or derp sounds like it could get frustrating and old real fast. The only exception to this if it was in a game where EVERY character is like that.

It's part of what makes a character feel fun, doing moves where there's less risk than with other characters, doing moves that no other character has access to etc. It's when you don't balance the bullshit with the honesty properly that it starts to become a problem (Necalli).

The one thing that bugs me about Birdie is that SOME characters can punish EX Bull w/e and some cant. Like just why?

Either make it -2 and make it safe against everyone , or make it something like -8. But no its -5 and only those special characters with long reach 5f moves can punish it.
A much better solution IMO would be to just give it frame 4 or 5 armour instead of frame 1 which makes absolutely no sense still when you consider Bullhorn in V-Trigger has frame 1 armour, and EX Bullhorn has TWO hits of armour for almost the entirety of the move from frame 1. You have no freaking reason to do bullhorn (Unless to get through a meaty projectile?) and absolutely no reason to do EX bullhorn when you can just EX bullhead instead.

EDIT: FUCK, every single time I talk about the balancing in this game I get so frustrated because there is so much stuff that makes 0 sense. This game really was balanced by school children like Bonchan said.

mbpm1

As a potentially former Kolin main I'm not sure if she is honest. But I'll take any buffs that come her way due to perceived low tier position for her :)

Also she is thicc and that's good enough

Though tbh, a truly honest character with 0 bullshit or derp sounds like it could get frustrating and old real fast. The only exception to this if it was in a game where EVERY character is like that.

It's part of what makes a character feel fun, doing moves where there's less risk than with other characters, doing moves that no other character has access to etc. It's when you don't balance the bullshit with the honesty properly that it starts to become a problem (Necalli).
yeah, I think the cast is mostly fine. Slight nerfs to Rog damage, maybe Necali trigger can be adjusted (honestly I think he doesn't need a command grab) and I dunno...I can't think of a character that just kills you.

Like Laura is crazy once she gets going, but I think a universal defense option could make that match more balanced, I don't want anyone's kit really nerfed anymore, just buff.

MCD250

I'd be okay with them putting in Remy in a future game and giving him Charlie's moveset to differentiate him from Guile, since Charlie's dead again and all.

Lulubop

I think it's clear Ono and his team love the Alpha series and specifically brought back the Alpha characters who never made it into 4,
SODOM WILL MAKE IT SOMEDAY,
S3?

As far as new characters, I kinda want Fabio and I wouldn't mind getting him before Sean.

As a potentially former Kolin main I'm not sure if she is honest. But I'll take any buffs that come her way due to perceived low tier position for her :)

Also she is thicc and that's good enough
Remember we're talking about SFV here, where you can lose the round off two wrong guesses lol, regardless of character type.

Ken corner carry is crazy, makes you guess with Throw loop
Gief couple SPD and your done
Laura, thinks she's gonna grab you but nope, just kills ya lol
Balrog, one TAP and that's a wrap!
Urien get into my blender!
Ibuki hold left or right on the way down and pray!
Etc...

So much of Kolin stuff you can run away from and her reversal is a hard read! She's ok in my book

So now that we've gotten 4 characters for S2, have there been any new trends?

Like with the S1 cast we saw that they all had reversals which were NOT invincible for the meterless versions, only on the metered. Has a similar trend been discovered?

The only one that I can think of is that Kolin is the only character who can't cancel her sweep into V-Trigger if it's blocked.
P L A T I N U M B O Y Z
Congrats!

Top Bottom