• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

FluxWaveZ

I hate fighting Zangief as Mika. Between his V-Skill and grab-invincible EX SPD it feels like I have no way to start or continue pressure since regardless of what I do he has a get-out-of-jail-free card. It's infuriating.

He's Mika's worst MU next to Guile for a reason.

The EX SPD isn't the problem, though. There are ways to pressure him without having to worry about it, and it's a big risk to try to go for the throw invincibility with it when Mika is in. The issue is that you can't jump in on him (lariat, cr.HP), you can't drop kick (V-Skill), and he has largely superior footsies. It's why all you can do is cr.LK, cr.MK, and st.MK until you can catch them by surprise with a risky way to get in (dash > command grab, jump, drop kick). Otherwise, if a Gief is playing with awareness the whole time, you'll never be able to get anything started.

It's kind of why Laura is a bad MU for Mika, but amplified.

The MU chart I had made for myself recently:

NXkAzRB.jpg

The Birdie ones I'm not too certain of, because I don't have enough experience with the character. I put them as a personal comparison because he's a character I have been very interested in for a while, combined with the fact that NuckleDu considered replacing Mika with him.

I have more than enough experience with Mika to be very confident in her numbers at this point, though. The thing that saves her as a character, despite the fact that she loses—on paper—at the VS screen most of the time, is because she's Mika. If she gets in, she can technically steamroll any opponent with a sequence or proper reads and seem like a broken character. If she gets any character in the corner, it's gonna be a bad time for them.

Still, this is pretty much the reason that it can be disheartening playing her, as well. A character with no zoning capabilities and no reversals with 950 health is just part of it.

Almost dropped to Ultra Bronze with Birdie. Man, the highs are high with him but the lows are real low. Part of me is probably too reliant on gimmicks but another part of me says go gimmicks or go home.

You nailed it. Similar thoughts have been fermenting in my brain for months now and I've made similar posts describing my thoughts, but this reaches right to the heart of it all.

I've been thinking about the right way to put it for awhile. And I think this is the disconnect between Capcom and us. And I don't even think many players understand they are addressing the feeling of the game rather than the balance, so Capcom keeps fixing the latter and not the former. It's also why you have people flipflop on how they think the balance of the game is - it's like moodswings.

The EX SPD isn't the problem, though. There are ways to pressure him without having to worry about it, and it's a big risk to try to go for the throw invincibility with it when Mika is in. The issue is that you can't jump in on him (lariat, cr.HP), you can't drop kick (V-Skill), and he has largely superior footsies. It's why all you can do is cr.LK, cr.MK, and st.MK until you can catch them by surprise with a risky way to get in (dash > command grab, jump, drop kick). Otherwise, if a Gief is playing with awareness the whole time, you'll never be able to get anything started.

See, I don't actually have that much trouble with the Guile matchup cuz all of the Guiles around Platinum-level crumble like a sandcastle once you actually penetrate their defense, but at this point in time 4 out of every 5 matches I play are against Gief and they all seem to be sharing the same psychic mind-link with how good their reads are.

Every time I manage to score a knockdown of force them into the corner, they somehow always perform the exact maneuver required to reset the neutral and it's just so infuriating. It's not like I'm sticking to the same oki every time, so I have no idea how they manage to escape without incident.

FluxWaveZ

See, I don't actually have that much trouble with the Guile matchup cuz all of the Guiles around Platinum-level crumble like a sandcastle once you actually penetrate their defense, but at this point in time 4 out of every 5 matches I play are against Gief and they all seem to be sharing the same psychic mind-link with how good their reads are.

I personally prefer facing Guile than Zangief, because although it's slightly harder on paper, it requires a different style that I prefer. It's pattern recognition, and once you get a proper beat, you can get in. The frustrating part is when you don't get that rhythm, and you never get in. Luffy agreed that it Guile is her worst MU, but I think he also told me that he'd prefer facing Guile to Gief.

It's just that the threat of the reversal is constant, so that adds the negative layer to her offense there once she gets in.

I personally prefer facing Guile than Zangief, because although it's slightly harder on paper, it requires a different style that I prefer. It's pattern recognition, and once you get a proper beat, you can get in. The frustrating part is when you don't get that rhythm, and you never get in. Luffy agreed that it Guile is her worst MU, but I think he also told me that he'd prefer facing Guile to Gief.

It's just that the threat of the reversal is constant, so that adds the negative layer to her offense there once she gets in.

I've been subbing Birdie ever since S2 started and I think he has a much easier time with a lot of the matchups Mika struggles in. I campaigned waaaaay too long for Mika to just drop her, but I've found myself choosing her less and less as her biggest threats become more and more prominent.

Csr

This applies to all characters which is why Du is losing tournaments now, if you don't change your game and try different approaches​ other players will figure you out and you will start losing.

Guile hasn't dropped in the tiers, Guile is considered by most top players in top 3.

Almost dropped to Ultra Bronze with Birdie. Man, the highs are high with him but the lows are real low. Part of me is probably too reliant on gimmicks but another part of me says go gimmicks or go home.

I've been thinking about the right way to put it for awhile. And I think this is the disconnect between Capcom and us. And I don't even think many players understand they are addressing the feeling of the game rather than the balance, so Capcom keeps fixing the latter and not the former. It's also why you have people flipflop on how they think the balance of the game is - it's like moodswings.
Unless you are a Fang, Alex, Ryu or Juri player. Ryu had at least season 1, but the game has been rigged against the other three since they first became playable lol. Shit sucks when the "feeling" and "balance" are both working against you.

Almost time for Baeken, though.

mbpm1

The MU chart I had made for myself recently:

NXkAzRB.jpg

The Birdie ones I'm not too certain of, because I don't have enough experience with the character. I put them as a personal comparison because he's a character I have been very interested in for a while, combined with the fact that NuckleDu considered replacing Mika with him.

I have more than enough experience with Mika to be very confident in her numbers at this point, though. The thing that saves her as a character, despite the fact that she loses—on paper—at the VS screen most of the time, is because she's Mika. If she gets in, she can technically steamroll any opponent with a sequence or proper reads and seem like a broken character. If she gets any character in the corner, it's gonna be a bad time for them.

Still, this is pretty much the reason that it can be disheartening playing her, as well. A character with no zoning capabilities and no reversals with 950 health is just part of it.

You think Mika loses to kolin?

FluxWaveZ

You think Mika loses to kolin?

Definitely, yes. Kolin's V-Skill beats all of Mika's approach options. Drop kicking is out of the picture because Kolin can low profile with cr.MK, counter or V-Skill. She's also one of the characters who can just backdash after blocking a drop kick without having to worry about the target combo or the command grab follow-up.

Kolin outfootsies Mika (like pretty much every other character), too. I'd be tempted to put 5-5 because, once Mika gets in, Kolin doesn't have reversal options that beat her command grabs, but that isn't enough, especially when she has 1k health. It's kind of why Vega is 5-5 for Mika but, in Kolin's case, with added defensive options at neutral.

mbpm1

Definitely, yes. Kolin's V-Skill beats all of Mika's approach options. Drop kicking is out of the picture because Kolin can low profile with cr.MK, counter or V-Skill. She's also one of the characters who can just backdash after blocking a drop kick without having to worry about the target combo or the command grab follow-up.

now that is very useful to know

Unrelated, I can't wait for Poongko and Inilftration to body randos on the amazing race while blindfolded.

Torry

Neo Member
F.A.N.G is legit broken: https://twitter.com/Venom4444444/status/867452856491790336

You can do that after a light ryobenda into CA too, though I'd have to check to make sure.
And I can't cause I deleted the game.

Not that anyone here cares about FANG tech.

a85d6d0727cd4b9d4475c5f87fd62079708656d3_hq.gif

Unfortunately you can't do it after a light ryobenda, even though it leaves you in a prime position. I think it makes your opponent immune to anymore juggling from normals/anti air normals.

You can however use EX Sotoja or EX Ryobenda, if you manage to get some meter during your CA animation.

Village

I think kolin low key wrecks a lot of characters, I thinks she just requires a patience that I feel the game because of the nature of it, asks you not to have.

Her power level will be unleashed one day and it will be fun to see

mbpm1

I think kolin low key wrecks a lot of characters, I thinks she just requires a patience that I feel the game because of the nature of it, asks you not to have.

Her power level will be unleashed one day and it will be fun to see

her high stun rewards patience imo

Sayad

1 in every 3 rounds vs Vega end either in time out or with someone dying while going for a desperate offense to gain the lead before the time end. :D

Pompadour

F.A.N.G is legit broken: https://twitter.com/Venom4444444/status/867452856491790336

You can do that after a light ryobenda into CA too, though I'd have to check to make sure.
And I can't cause I deleted the game.

Not that anyone here cares about FANG tech.

Do you not have a lot of free space on your HDD or are you trying to avoid data costs from auto-downloading the updates? I legit don't get why people delete their games in protest. It's not like they're selling the game back or breaking the disc.

Then again, I still have the original SFV betas on my PS4 in hopes of getting that beta tester reward they promised 1.5 years ago.

Do you not have a lot of free space on your HDD or are you trying to avoid data costs from auto-downloading the updates? I legit don't get why people delete their games in protest. It's not like they're selling the game back or breaking the disc.
My way of saying Fuck you to the game since I own it digitally and can't get any money back.
Anything's possible when you're second best

Edit:
giphy.gif

Mother of god, I've done it!!

There's no questioning his power level now! Mika deleted in one(2) reset(s)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcN1ShuQVmg
Balrog still does more damage in V-Trigger.

Pompadour

My way of saying Fuck you to the game since I own it digitally and can't get any money back.

In that case what you should do is put SFV on one set up and have it watch you playing Injustice 2 on another PS4. That'll teach it
or SFV will jerk off, who knows.

Bigg_Oggy

Then again, I still have the original SFV betas on my PS4 in hopes of getting that beta tester reward they promised 1.5 years ago.

Wow! I completely forgot about this 'incentive'. Seems Capcom has as well.

The answer to SFV feeling more fair...

CC's only on counter hit when u have trigger activated
V-reversals buffed
Balrog and Laura toned down some

There's more, but I think so many people will enjoy the game more with those changes and future updates will be easier to spot what audience really wants.

Edit: mind was going faster than I typed.

Any SFV gaffers also a part of Switch-GAF? With USF2 (lol) and the ARMS test punch going down tomorrow, I hope to see y'all online.
I will get Arms if reviews are good but I can't play a traditional fighter with that controller. D-pad is pretty horrible and I like my d-pad symetrical with my buttons like on dS4

I will get Arms if reviews are good but I can't play a traditional fighter with that controller. D-pad is pretty horrible and I like my d-pad symetrical with my buttons like on dS4

I've got an 8bitdo SNES30 pad, so I'll probably use that, but the controller situation on Switch is indeed dire.

Top Bottom