• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIII| New Delayed Generation - Controversial Inputs

I don't see that happening.

2.0 patch is an absolute garbage patch and no amount of time or nostalgia is gonna make it good.

Even when people think about how good SF4 is, they're talking about USF4 which came after years of tuning and modifying.

MrCarter

I don't see that happening.

2.0 patch is an absolute garbage patch and no amount of time or nostalgia is gonna make it good.

Even when people think about how good SF4 is, they're talking about USF4 which came after years of tuning and modifying.

Guess we have 4/5 more years to wait then lol. Yeah joking aside SFV is fairly balanced than most SF titles this early in its lifecycle and if they keep on heading in the right direction, like with the upcoming patch, I will be pleasantly surprised.

MCD250

Don't worry I'm sure some people will still have something to complain about. Now the 2.0 patch will be the best thing since sliced bread after the 2.1 patch hits lol.
Well, it's not like 2.1 is all that different from 2.0, they're mostly just doing some slight balance changes to individual characters. But the system changes that 2.0 implemented are still there (with the exception of the DP changes, which 2.1 is improving on).

I wonder if, once Capcom is done supporting this game in a few years, they'll do a final revision that lets you select among different versios of the same character like in Super Turbo and USFIV. So you could have S1 Mika vs S2 Laura, as a for instance.

Got hit once in neutral? Lose 30% of your health and end up in the corner.

Got hit again? Lose 40% of your health and still in the corner.

Now you gotta deal with the shimmy/actual throw/meaty/jump bait/overhead/fuzzy guard and one wrong guess = death.

Don't worry I'm sure some people will still have something to complain about. Now the 2.0 patch will be the best thing since sliced bread after the 2.1 patch hits lol.

People are already fondly looking at 2.0 right now compared to when it dropped.

I hope Birdie does become the hot new thing. He's so much fun to watch.

Shadoken

Got hit once in neutral? Lose 30% of your health and end up in the corner.

Got hit again? Lose 40% of your health and still in the corner.

Now you gotta deal with the shimmy/actual throw/meaty/jump bait/overhead/fuzzy guard and one wrong guess = death.

I feel like SFV would be much more interesting to watch if Combos had to be optimized to choose between Damage/Stun/Mixup potential and Corner carry.

Instead we just mostly see the same combos because they do all 3. ( Or in some cases the benefit of one is not that much ) Capcom just need to play around with the values better to make the match look more varied.

MCD250

Lowkey I think Charlie getting the pushback on his MK Scythe back might be pretty good. He can really get killed throwing that out now. They should really have made EX Scythe fully invincible instead of just throw invincible though.

vulva

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";237956154]Not really, the only significant change is the MK scythe pushback. Forward dash change is gonna change some of his setups, but it's hard to say for better or worse yet. The rest of the changes are pretty minimal.[/QUOTE]

I mean, that's still inarguably more than chun is getting

Shadoken

I mean, that's still inarguably more than chun is getting

lol shut up dude he is. Chun isnt getting shit

I mean yea , if you are looking at it literally. Chun isnt getting any changes lol. But Chun isnt as bad as Nash tho. And Nash got hit as much as Chun with the initial S2 changelist despite not being as Strong as her in S1.

Point is the changes arent going to be anything meaningful. If he got his V reversal or his AAs back that would be something. So I'd say after the buffs hes prolly as good or maybe slightly better than Chun.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";237956154]Not really, the only significant change is the MK scythe pushback. Forward dash change is gonna change some of his setups, but it's hard to say for better or worse yet. The rest of the changes are pretty minimal.[/QUOTE]

Thats actually the least significant one.

Pushback on Scythe went from 2.16 in S2 to 2.19 in S2.1.
Season 1 was 2.53.
Its hardly gamechanging be prepared to get punished by Cammy,Rog,Chun and URien even when spaced at Max range.

Only practical buff is
C.MK->VT-> can link to B.MK will buff his damage by 40 i think. Its fkin something.
His St.HP being back to S1 is also a welcome change. Can fish for CCs with it better now.

This vid is pretty good showing how his meaties might be better ( or worse ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOcVVcv7VEQ

HiResDes

Been watching Alpha 3 tournament footage after hearing ya'll talk about, man Valle is pretty good at pretty much every SF related game huh.

Bob White

it's also okay that his -6 overhead that crush counters has so much pushback that none of your 6f medium buttons will punish it on block anyway :)

This irritates me so much. I made a post a few weeks ago about it. A lot of shit in this game has baked in push back/spacing that needs to go.

DKL

Been watching Alpha 3 tournament footage after hearing ya'll talk about, man Valle is pretty good at pretty much every SF related game huh.

Man, I'm not even gonna lie: he looked hella cholo back then lol

Now he's like that uncle I like having over every time someone has a birthday.

Edzi

Guess we have 4/5 more years to wait then lol. Yeah joking aside SFV is fairly balanced than most SF titles this early in its lifecycle and if they keep on heading in the right direction, like with the upcoming patch, I will be pleasantly surprised.

lol, this game is not balanced.

MrCarter

lol, this game is not balanced.

lol I said fairly in comparison to past SF games, which I think should be praised. Also opinions, how do they work? Of course they still have some way to go but I don't think it will ever be "perfect" - which no fighting games are according to the highly volatile FGC.

There's no such thing as a perfectly balanced game. Every game has bullshit. Every game has stupid characters. Every game has something in the system that favors one character over another. Even the VF series, which probably is the most balanced mainstream fighting game, still has tiers and some characters that don't win tournaments as often. Doesn't make it, or any game, bad.

When people say a game is "balanced", they mean that it's not completely broken. Rog is fucking dumb, Laura is brainless, and shit like CCs need to be toned down in addition to the ridiculous lack of defensive options, but SFV's cast is mostly viable save for a few characters at the bottom rung.

An unbalanced game is some real kusoge shit. Like your character is busted and everyone else is leagues away. That shit hasn't happened in years, because most modern fighting games are relatively balanced besides shit like Girl Fight.

SFV isn't perfectly balanced, but it's balanced to the point where it's "mostly" fair.

Shadoken

When people say a game is "balanced", they mean that it's not completely broken. Rog is fucking dumb, Laura is brainless, and shit like CCs need to be toned down in addition to the ridiculous lack of defensive options, but SFV's cast is mostly viable save for a few characters at the bottom rung.

Pretty much. The problem with SFVs balance is with Systems and Mechanics rather than characters themselves.

Producer

I mean yea , if you are looking at it literally. Chun isnt getting any changes lol. But Chun isnt as bad as Nash tho. And Nash got hit as much as Chun with the initial S2 changelist despite not being as Strong as her in S1.

Point is the changes arent going to be anything meaningful. If he got his V reversal or his AAs back that would be something. So I'd say after the buffs hes prolly as good or maybe slightly better than Chun.

Thats actually the least significant one.

Pushback on Scythe went from 2.16 in S2 to 2.19 in S2.1.
Season 1 was 2.53.
Its hardly gamechanging be prepared to get punished by Cammy,Rog,Chun and URien even when spaced at Max range.

Only practical buff is
C.MK->VT-> can link to B.MK will buff his damage by 40 i think. Its fkin something.
His St.HP being back to S1 is also a welcome change. Can fish for CCs with it better now.

This vid is pretty good showing how his meaties might be better ( or worse ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOcVVcv7VEQ

All true, but yeah nash will probably be better than chun with the update. My original point was that he is getting at least something while chun literally doesnt get anything worth discussing lol. I got vtriggered with his post.

Ucchedavāda;237966708 said:
What was wrong with the balance in that game? If you don't mind my idle curiosity.

Counter system was super busted. But the worst part were the psi abilities. I remember some of them giving characters ridiculous damage and not many ways to defend.

Pretty much. The problem with SFVs balance is with Systems and Mechanics rather than characters themselves.

It's always been SF's problem. But I feel like with SFV, adding more defensive options alongside tweaking the CC system and scaling some characters' damage down (read: Rog) would do wonders.

I didn't realize that the new blacklist feature gives you ability to give a reason for blacklisting a player (unstable connection; rage quitter; suspicious activity; other).

I wonder if Capcom intends to use that information themselves, or if they only intend for it to be for your own use. Given that the blacklist dialogue on the new CFN does not appear to list the reason you gave, at least not for "other", it could well be that this information is intended for Capcom. However, that is the kind of thing that would require manual curation to some degree, so I kinda doubt it.

This is based on VesperArcade's video on the beta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgn45yPXwzo#t=121

Ucchedavāda;237968874 said:
I didn't realize that the new blacklist feature gives you ability to give a reason for blacklisting a player (unstable connection; rage quitter; suspicious activity; other).

I wonder if Capcom intends to use that information themselves, or if they only intend for it to be for your own use. Given that the blacklist dialogue on the new CFN does not appear to list the reason you gave, at least not for "other", it could well be that this information is intended for Capcom. However, that is the kind of thing that would require manual curation to some degree, so I kinda doubt it.

This is based on VesperArcade's video on the beta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgn45yPXwzo#t=121

I don't see why the user would need that information though. Maybe they can base server problems off of that in the future? Or maybe suss out players who get a lot of things like suspicious activity?

I don't see why the user would need that information though. Maybe they can base server problems off of that in the future? Or maybe suss out players who get a lot of things like suspicious activity?
It's useful for reminding you why you blacklisted them. It's similar to how you can tag friends, assuming that you can actually see the blacklist category you selected.

Wallach

But Chun isnt as bad as Nash tho.

dFoV4mM.jpg

Shadoken

Try blocking in the corner as Nash. No 3F jab,no Invinc reversal and one of the worst V reversals.

And in this game , eating shit in the corner is something you are going to be doing often. I cant think of any area where Chun is significantly weaker than Nash.

Also when the best Nash player ( And arguable the best player ) right now says hes ass , I would take his word for it.

Lulubop

On the other hand, ass characters in any other fighter wouldn't be winning stacked majors unless you can show me some results.

kirblar

On the other hand, ass characters in any other fighter wouldn't be winning stacked majors unless you can show me some results.
Yeah, is it that he's ass, or that he just requires a higher skill floor and doesn't have a comeback mechanic?

They took away ice skating Nash from S1, but S2 Nash is winning more events than S1 Chun did!

Shadoken

Yeah, is it that he's ass, or that he just requires a higher skill floor and doesn't have a comeback mechanic?

They took away ice skating Nash from S1, but S2 Nash is winning more events than S1 Chun did!

This is srsly undermining Bonchans efforts tho. Bonchan himself is winning more than he did in S1 , and S1 Nash was obviously much better.

Literally nobody else is playing the character. You had multiple players doing well with S1 Chun,Nash,Mika..etc.
I feel like Bonchan is getting so many wins because Nash has slipped under the radar and nobody is able to get high level matches against a really good Nash. It is only now people are realizing that he is a threat. I wonder how he is going to perform once players focus on him.

I still cant believe how he took that win over Verloren. That is one of the hardest matchups in the game by far.
No consistent AAs against divekicks
Max Range Sonic Scythes punishable on block with LK Drill
blocking all that insane Cammy pressure with no real defensive options . And he still pulled through.

I feel like if this was still S1 , Bonchan would be the most dominant player similar to Punk. He was already rising up during the later stages of S1 , after people figured out the Infiltration style of Nash play.

Top Bottom