• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

Surfside

Banned
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Harada says that people don't use tutorials in fighting games

games should transparent more stuff to the player. nowadays we are down to combo count, stun, guard break if available, counter hits

I think the next step should be transparenting frame advantage. maybe with some special effect (some kind of wind if you block or are hit in a situation where you had frame advantage, and more effect for bigger frame advantage) or plain old just saying the number on screen

I use them. They save me a lot of time, which i would otherwise spent searching the internet. Really, every fighter should have them!

ElFly

I think Crush Counters were a badly misguided attempt at doing this with counter hits.

I think they are ok but I'd drastically reduce their recovery

they don't mesh well with the cancel system, and if I had to choose, I'd keep crush counters

but what I was talking about was simply the "counter" indicator when a counter happens, tho not necessarily a crush counter

How are the tutorials in the past couple of Tekken games? If they sucked I wouldn't surprised if folks ignored them.

most tutorials suck tho; it's best to integrate them with a story mode but that can also be boring

Pompadour

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Harada says that people don't use tutorials in fighting games

games should transparent more stuff to the player. nowadays we are down to combo count, stun, guard break if available, counter hits

I think the next step should be transparenting frame advantage. maybe with some special effect (some kind of wind if you block or are hit in a situation where you had frame advantage, and more effect for bigger frame advantage) or plain old just saying the number on screen

I agree with all of this. It's stupid how much information is obscured for no reason in fighting games.

Things like the Heavy hit on block animations in Street Fighter V or the "!" when you block incorrectly in Xrd is great.

I'm not asking for overheads, lows, invincible moves, and grabs be all color coded but there should be a subtle indicator that gives the necessary info on a move just by looking at it.

How are the tutorials in the past couple of Tekken games? If they sucked I wouldn’t surprised if folks ignored them.

The Tekken Tag Tournament 2 one was pretty in-depth but no one buys a game because they hear it has an expansive tutorial mode.

I think Crush Counters were a badly misguided attempt at doing this with counter hits.

Their implementation is bad but visually and aurally they get the job done. They're much more effective than GG Fatal Counters in that regard.

MrCarter

That interview was awful. So full of corporate shit to justify why something was not included in a product.

Even with a shoestring budget and a loathsome art style, Jedah in MvC:I turned out pretty okay.

Yes, Jedah and some of he newer DLC characters like Monster Hunter and Black Panther look very good. Still think it’s a shame they went with that bland art style because the animations, hit sparks and effects look very nice.

JusDoIt

Anybody think SFV will hit its OG sales target of 2 million before AE drops?

It's at 1.7 million as of June 2017. The third quarter just ended Sept 30th I believe, so new sales numbers should be coming out soon.

After the initial 1.4 million it took SFV like 16 months to move another 300,000, which is a mere 18,750 units for the average month. Sales haven't been updated since Menat's release or AE's announcement, though.

I figure even if there's no major boost it hits at least 1.8 million by the end of the year (finally catching up with SFxT), but hype might could maybe push another 200,000 copies before January.

Yes, I care.

Surfside

Banned

It's at 1.7 million as of June 2017. The third quarter just ended Sept 30th I believe, so new sales numbers should be coming out soon.

After the initial 1.4 million it took SFV like 16 months to move another 300,000, which is a mere 18,750 units for the average month. Sales haven't been updated since Menat's release or AE's announcement, though.

I figure even if there's no major boost it hits at least 1.8 million by the end of the year (finally catching up with SFxT), but hype might could maybe push another 200,000 copies before January.

Yes, I care.

I doubt that it will hit that target, before the AE is out. But i expect a major sales boost after its release. That's what i hope for anyway.

I'm wondering, how big their marketing push will be.

Neoxon

I doubt that it will hit that target, before the AE is out. But i expect a major sales boost after its release. That's what i hope for anyway.

I'm wondering, how big their marketing push will be.
I'm honestly not expecting that much of a marketing push beyond a few YouTube commercials.

Surfside

Banned
I'm honestly not expecting that much of a marketing push beyond a few YouTube commercials.

Well, i thought they could have an commercial on espn. Though maybe that's too pricey for them. But they need to invest something, if they want a decent return.

MrCarter

Yes, I care.

Now, I’ve said this before, in order for SFV to truly reach their sales projections and sell far better they need to release this on more platforms. Switch would be massive. It’s just a shame they snookered themselves with this elaborate deal with Sony which prevents it from reaching it’s full potential.

JusDoIt

Now, I've said this before, in order for SFV to truly reach their sales projections and sell far better they need to release this on more platforms. Switch would be massive. It's just a shame they snookered themselves with this elaborate deal with Sony which prevents it from reaching it's full potential.

I don't know. 2 million on PS4 and PC seemed like a pretty reasonable projection. Now if they were aiming for SFIV numbers, then yeah, they'd definitely need more platforms.

If Capcom is smart (and has the budget for it) they'll make another commercial like this one:

https://youtu.be/9vbsQPRuqEg

YO. I knew the Just Blaze commercial existed, but somehow this is my first time seeing it. That shit is dope and now I dearly wish Capcom would hire him for AE's OST.

Pompadour

Now, I’ve said this before, in order for SFV to truly reach their sales projections and sell far better they need to release this on more platforms. Switch would be massive. It’s just a shame they snookered themselves with this elaborate deal with Sony which prevents it from reaching it’s full potential.

Or they could have had an even more gimped SFV on all platforms because of no Sony funding a la MvCI.

They really don't need to spend that much on adverts like TV commercials and shit like that. Just do Youtube/Display Targeting, allow people to stream all the new content (especially big Youtubers), and let the positive word of mouth carry the game. Esports then steps in and entices people every month to pick up the game that's no longer apparently ass and there you go, it sells a bunch more copies than just tossing it out into the wilds.

They already did good by addressing how people can buy the thing and not get fucked over, promoting the shit people wanted, and gathering a decent amount of press. If they can keep up their digital presence and maybe get a few display ads hosted on major websites, like GameFAQS and IGN and all that stuff to remind people, they'll do good.

JusDoIt

They really don't need to spend that much on adverts like TV commercials and shit like that. Just do Youtube/Display Targeting, allow people to stream all the new content (especially big Youtubers), and let the positive word of mouth carry the game. Esports then steps in and entices people every month to pick up the game that's no longer apparently ass and there you go, it sells a bunch more copies than just tossing it out into the wilds.

They already did good by addressing how people can buy the thing and not get fucked over, promoting the shit people wanted, and gathering a decent amount of press. If they can keep up their digital presence and maybe get a few display ads hosted on major websites, like GameFAQS and IGN and all that stuff to remind people, they'll do good.

I feel like esports actually gives them more reason to make a great TV ad. If you’re gonna have the game broadcast on ESPN2, TBS, and Disney XD or whatnot, might as well have a spot that you can at least run on them channels along with edits that are suitable for YouTube/Facebook/Twitch/Twitter.

It needs to have a f2p model. Aries also brought this up that the PC platform should be the main focus on the FGC.

Imagine if Valve sponsor it and makes a Steam Machine design for fighting games.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Redrapper's Marvel 3 EVO intro music was amazing, back in the day. Also his SSFIVAExWu-Tang Remix.

I miss Redrapper. He still does stuff, right?

Sunday morning if you're in the west (1 AM PST). Regardless of your time zone it's in a few hours.

eww your avatar
eww

I still literally have no idea if I land a counter hit outside of waiting for the word to pop up on the side of the screen, in which case it's too late. There should be some indicator for that at least, right?

Unless the indicator is the word.

I still literally have no idea if I land a counter hit outside of waiting for the word to pop up on the side of the screen, in which case it's too late. There should be some indicator for that at least, right?

Unless the indicator is the word.

The indicator is the word. I almost never have trouble recognizing that i landed a CH with FANG, since landing CH confirms is a major part of his gameplan. I've landed CH ST.HKs into st.hp, even when the first of the st.hk didn't connect and it was just the second hit.

When an indicator pops up on your peripheral, that's the indication because there's nothing else that's gonna pop up so you know what to look for.

Why are throw loops in the corner still a thing?? Makes me want to jump out my first floor window >_<
Pick one to blame:

RyBWsWg.png
be8058b5cc22789b16da848cab26448a_crop_exact.jpg
latest

The indicator is the word. I almost never have trouble recognizing that i landed a CH with FANG, since landing CH confirms is a major part of his gameplan. I've landed CH ST.HKs into st.hp, even when the first of the st.hk didn't connect and it was just the second hit.

When an indicator pops up on your peripheral, that's the indication because there's nothing else that's gonna pop up so you know what to look for.
No wonder I'm terrible. Guess I need to hit up the random counter in training mode.

Sayad

Yes, I care.
It could if they cut the price of the deluxe edition(game+S1+S2) to $40, it would give people planning to pick up AE no reason to wait!

lupinko

It needs to have a f2p model. Aries also brought this up that the PC platform should be the main focus on the FGC.

Imagine if Valve sponsor it and makes a Steam Machine design for fighting games.

Capcom still cares about Japan and PC is not a thing outside of Minecraft and doujin games.

Top Bottom