• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVIIII| New Generation - Fighting Game Is Something So Great

King of the Hill / Brawlers:
Punk, Stupendous, and Smug.

https://www.twitch.tv/esl

Actually she was ~15 during USFIV, and anywhere between 15 and 17 in SFV. She was 18 during Second Impact and ~19 during Third Strike.

Sakura and Cammy are technically the same age, but in SFxT Jack detected that Sakura was a "minor"...which Cammy was obviously not.
Yes, SFxT isn't canon, but it's based on canon. And, even in SF4 related sources they skate around the issue of Sakura's age:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3720qXA5rU

In other words, ages stopped being defined in SF a long time ago.

I'm not even sure the SF3 characters in USF4 were canon at all, since none of them really did anything relevant. And, Ibuki's stories in SF5 don't reference anything in SF4 as far as I remember.

Also, as far as I know, explicit ages were never given for most of the SF3 cast...with the exception of Elena being 17 during SF3:2i.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
SFV takes place over 4 years after SFIV.

Oh. Then she's ~17-18.

Sakura and Cammy are technically the same age, but in SFxT Jack detected that Sakura was a "minor"...which Cammy was obviously not. Yes, SFxT isn't canon, but even in SF4 related sources they skate around the issue of Sakura's ago.

In other words, ages stopped being defined in SF a long time ago.

I'm not even sure the SF3 characters in USF4 were canon at all, since none of them really did anything relevant. And, Ibuki's stories in SF5 don't reference anything in SF4 as far as I remember.

Also, as far as I know, explicit ages were never given for most of the SF3 cast...with the exception of Elena being 17 during SF3:2i.

Sakura's actually a bit older than Cammy, being born March 15, 1973 to Cammy's January 6, 1974. Almost a year older.

And we know Elena's birthday, being 18 September 1981, which fits with her being ~18 at SFIII since it happens in 1998-1999.

What? Why did people point to Nash being fine after Bonchan won events? Does this mean that event wins aren't a proper way to show how strong a character is?

He's still viable. Event wins show that. Doesn't mean he doesn't have glaring flaws that need to be fixed but he's no Juri.

He's still viable. Event wins show that. Doesn't mean he doesn't have glaring flaws that need to be fixed but he's no Juri.

I think so too, but people downplay it due to Bonchan being ridiculous. It's like when Kuroda would win with Q. I mean yeah you could technically win with him as he showed it, but Q was still ass. Nash is no where near as bad as Q, but people were downplaying how bad Nash was even with Bonchan saying Nash sucks.

A lot of people gave Infil shit for changing and complaining about Nash.

Shadoken

What? Why did people point to Nash being fine after Bonchan won events? Does this mean that event wins aren't a proper way to show how strong a character is?

Also luck in brackets also a factor , maybe Bonchan feels that if he runs into a very strong player who has a bad matchup like Cammy,Rog,Rashid or Karin he cant win even if he is the better player.

Also while Nash isnt as bad as Q. The gap between Top 10 and Bottom 10 is huge in this game.

Nash was never fine. He requires so much risk to get anything going. And the new dash speed made things worse as he lost his oki. Then you have the nerfed AA and jump in.

Also luck in brackets also a factor , maybe Bonchan feels that if he runs into a very strong player who has a bad matchup like Cammy,Rog,Rashid or Karin he cant win even if he is the better player.

And don't forget Bison who he lost to in the first game of Evo.

source? I want to be certain of this digital characters age before i comment on the outfits she wears
Mel is 4 going on 5 as of Christmas of SFV's year according to the Christmas story released on the CRI. Mel was born in February of the year USFIV takes place. Assuming SFV takes place earlier in the year (probably mid-year, or Summer in the north), Mel is likely 4 and a quarter as of SFV, placing SFV at 4 years and a few months after USFIV.

Ryce

Sakura's actually a bit older than Cammy, being born March 15, 1973 to Cammy's January 6, 1974. Almost a year older.

And we know Elena's birthday, being 18 September 1981, which fits with her being ~18 at SFIII since it happens in 1998-1999.
Er, where are you getting Sakura and Elena's birth years from? Capcom ditched those after SFII. Street Fighter games do not take place in real time anymore. They exist on a comic book-style timeline. Street Fighter II has late '80s/early '90s fashion and the USSR/Mikhail Gorbachev -- it's a decidedly 1991 game. Street Fighter V has social media, contemporary hairstyles/fashions, and a modernized Dubai with buildings that didn't exist until the 2000s. That doesn't mean Street Fighter V takes place 25 years after the events of SFII.

Producer

Me either but I've been getting back into it recently.

used to be fun when umvc3 & sf4 were played at wnf & nlbc

Mel is 4 going on 5 as of Christmas of SFV's year according to the Christmas story released on the CRI. Mel was born in February of the year USFIV takes place. Assuming SFV takes place earlier in the year (probably mid-year, or Summer in the north), Mel is likely 4 and a quarter as of SFV, placing SFV at 4 years and a few months after USFIV.

whos Mel though lol

Shadoken

It really says something if Bonchan is confident his 3 month Karin is gonna be better than his 1(1.5?) year Nash. Especially with how everyone is focussing on how to beat Karin since Punk is dominating.

And don't forget Bison who he lost to in the first game of Evo.

Yea this is the kinda the issue.

Nash isnt that bad a character , but he still has matchups that are extremely skewed. In these matchups Bonchan can definitely lose to players who aren't as good as him.

And given the 50/50s of this game , that makes matters even worse.

Edzi

It really says something if Bonchan is confident his 3 month Karin is gonna be better than his 1(1.5?) year Nash. Especially with how everyone is focussing on how to beat Karin since Punk is dominating.

Yea this is the kinda the issue.

Nash isnt that bad a character , but he still has matchups that are extremely skewed. In these matchups Bonchan can definitely lose to players who aren't as good as him.

And given the 50/50s of this game , that makes matters even worse.

The gap between low and high tiers (at least when it comes to ease of play/ease of wins) is massive in this game. I've been playing Alex since day one and can get slaughtered by someone in a lobby, yet still somehow steal games from them with a day one Balrog.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Err, where are you getting Sakura and Elena's birth years from? Capcom ditched those after SFII. Street Fighter games do not take place in real time anymore. They exist on a comic book-style timeline. Street Fighter II has late '80s/early '90s fashion and the USSR/Mikhail Gorbachev -- it's a decidedly 1991 game. Street Fighter V has social media, contemporary hairstyles/fashions, and a modernized Dubai with buildings that didn't exist until the 2000s. That doesn't mean Street Fighter V takes place 25 years after the events of SFII.

Those were the old birth years back when Capcom gave those, before the timescale started sliding.

I think so too, but people downplay it due to Bonchan being ridiculous. It's like when Kuroda would win with Q. I mean yeah you could technically win with him as he showed it, but Q was still ass. Nash is no where near as bad as Q, but people were downplaying how bad Nash was even with Bonchan saying Nash sucks.

A lot of people gave Infil shit for changing and complaining about Nash.

Well infil claimed he was useless. And that sparked a wave of people dropping the character while only a few people stuck around. So when Bonchan proved the character isn't quite useless, it was suddenly a big shock. But this is before tournament results showed us that most characters can still place pretty high and that calling a character useless is reserved for Alex tier boyz.

Err, where are you getting Sakura and Elena's birth years from? Capcom ditched those after SFII. Street Fighter games do not take place in real time anymore. They exist on a comic book-style timeline. Street Fighter II has late '80s/early '90s fashion and Mikhail Gorbachev -- it's a decidedly 1991 game. Street Fighter V has social media and contemporary hairstyles/fashions. That doesn't mean Street Fighter V takes place 25 years after the events of SFII.
The issue with this is that outside of technology stuff (which could easily be deflected with "SF's world isn't the same as ours"), nothing in SF actually expressly dismissed a strictly placed timeline until now.

SFV was the first pre/interquel to actually make reference to a later date than its sequel, and it's also the first game to actually challenge the officially defined canon timeline (2I was determined to take place 3 years after USFIV, but SFV taking place 4 years after USFIV clearly doesn't agree with that). Ironically, the most story-focused game in the series is the one that disrupts the established canon the most.

But for what it's worth, simply putting SFV in 1999 and pushing 2I/3S to 2000/01 corrects the timeline issue (outside of the New Gen being preteens in USFIV). Just push the SFIII birthdates up 2 years to accomodate and the existing birthdates still make sense.

JusDoIt

Street Fighter should always be set in the 80s and 90s forever and ever, amen. Retcon the whole joint. Take away Rashid's smartphone and give him a DynaTAC or a pager.

Street Fighter should always be set in the 80s and 90s forever and ever, amen. Retcon the whole joint. Take away Rashid's smartphone and give him a DynaTAC or a pager.
Agree with the former, not the latter.

Just say "It's our story lol, they had smartphones in 1994" and problem solved. It's not like that's unheard of. They retconned the collapse of the USSR to 1993.

JusDoIt

Agree with the former, not the latter.

Just say "It's our story lol, they had smartphones in 1994" and problem solved. It's not like that's unheard of. They retconned the collapse of the USSR to 1993.

Just as long as I can imagine Balrog setting his VCR to record Martin on Thursday nights we good.

Marvel

could never
Well I had fun with Starfire today but I have definitely seemed to have fallen back in love with SF in a BIG way, can't keep away from it lately. If I'm not playing, I'm watching shit about it or talking here.

Well I had fun with Starfire today but I have definitely seemed to have fallen back in love with SF in a BIG way, can't keep away from it lately. If I'm not playing, I'm watching shit about it or talking here.

Same here. I really turned a corner with this patch. Not sure what happened, besides a strong burning desire to git gud.

Marvel

could never
Desire to git gud.
Yeah likewise, after coming back after a few months break something clicked in my head. I REALLY wanted and still do desire to up my game in all areas. Hit my Gold target recently after really applying myself, actually writing shit down on paper (sad I know lol) and watching the best Bison's on the planet play via CFN stalking and YT.

I'd love to get to Platinum one day.

Producer

i was having a good time today playing some sfv. then this fucker abigail pops up in the char select screen. what an annoying character

Edzi

i was having a good time today playing some sfv. then this fucker abigail pops up in the char select screen. what an annoying character

You play Cammy though, she's super annoying.

Plus, all you really need against Abigail is a single knockdown.

Started playing sfv after owning the CE for a long ass time. The clipping still bothers the shit outta me but boy is it fun to play rank.

Nothin funnier then knockin someone out with Mika's mic

Producer

You play Cammy though, she's super annoying.

Plus, all you really need against Abigail is a single knockdown.

until they just block my mixup or tech my throw and then i have to deal with the fly swatter light attacks again

i need an overhead to really make them scared, you know?

Kashiwaba

How do you guys deal with just not getting better despite practicing your ass off and trying to learn frame data? I got this game at launch and I have literally never hit Silver once.

I have 7136 matches online (and probably as much as them offline) and i consider that nothing compared to other players, the top players on SFV online ranking got at least 20000+ matches not counting offline and their other accounts.

Sayad

SFV takes place over 4 years after SFIV.

Isn't that SF3? With SFV being sometime between 4 and 3 without a specific date! It's around the start of SFV development when they started to ignore ages and accurately pointing out when things happened in order to make it easier for themselves to stop characters from aging.

mbpm1

what it means is pick a top tier, not that nash is busted. if you're not picking I can touch you and explode you if i have to you're playing top level SFV wrong.

I wonder what secondary vskill they could give abby

I have an idea, fully invincible backdash

Top Bottom