• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

Animations are really impressive in this game. The London stage matches almost look like they're playing the SFIV stylised videos. It's all quite impressive.

I hope they have removed corner cross-overs, as it used to be pre SFIV.

orioto

Good Art™
That really looks super good, and fun now, and fast enough!

Now just give me moving pants Capcom! For christ sake! It's well animated but the characters are made of stone.

Combofiend on the speed

"What we did was look at all the good things we've done over the years versus all the things players didn't necessarily like, so there are SO many good things, positive mechanics that people loved over the years," explained Rosas. "So we wanted to focus on that aspect, while also having the game feel new and fun. We thought the speed from Super Street Fighter II Turbo was appropriate, so we sped the game...but then, we also wanted each character to feel like a unique experience. When we looked at the V-Skills, we saw an opportunity to see how each character will feel different."

Character selection

Obviously, one of the most talked about aspects of any Street Fighter is the roster. And with this title setting itself at an interesting point in the SF timeline -- and yes, I tried to ask when but they wouldn't spill the beans -- it's making everyone very curious to see who will pop up next. The folks at Capcom have clearly been listening to what fans want to see, especially after conducting surveys and other forms of outreach. Though they obviously can't say who will show up next until they're ready to, Combofiend did share some thoughts on the developers' rationale and thought process behind the roster for SFV.

"We looked at a variety of sources, but we wanted to make sure that with the roster we selected, it was characters that people would enjoy and it would be fighting styles that would be properly represented in the game, and also to make sure that everything put into the game had meaning. "

He elaborated that even the returning characters, some of whom have been present since the beginning, will feel new in the fifth installment. The Variable System aims to reinvigorate the classic SF formula substantially.

"We wanted all the characters to feel fresh, and to feel familiar," he explained. "Ryu still has his fireballs, Chun-Li still has her hundred kicks, but at the same time, we wanted [them to be] unique to Street Fighter V. So when were looking into the V-Triggers, we thought 'What would be really appropriate for the characters?' [...]We made sure that all the abilities played to the characters and their personalities."

http://www.destructoid.com/combofie...-and-the-importance-of-community-293717.phtml

Kinda weird that they say they want the V-skills to be all unique and they end up giving Bison and Charlie basically the same one, and that's already basically just a projectile only version of Ryu's parry. I just don't see how "Ability to parry everything*" is not fundamentally superior to everything else (including unrevealed ones). After all, your V-skill is either defensive or offensive, and nothing is more defensive than parry everything. And offensive ones can be countered by parry everything* because it's contingent on attacking. Just seems ridiculously good in comparison to anything else someone could have.

Also I feel like they didn't need the Ultra-equivalent in this game with special camera effects and whatnot. Would have preferred just keeping the Super equivalent from 4.

*Obviously not everything, everything.

roknin

Inclined to agree.

Also people thinking it's slower than SF4 are mostly offput by slow walk speeds by half the characters thus far. The gameplay is anything but that from looks early on, which means it can only get faster.

Actually having that discussion with a couple friends atm and yeah, that seems to be the thing that's bothering people but they're saying "the game is slow" rather than "the walk speeds are slow".

Overall the game is definitely faster, but I do have to admit I miss having faster walk speeds.

Perhaps that's being reserved for Cammy/Vega/Akuma etc. :p

mcmmaster

sf5_by_mcmemie-d8wx3jg.gif

That pressure! Sure as hell looks fast-paced to me.

Krackatoa

Okay, so I guess Ryu can parry like in 3s. But does one ability that applies to a single character mean it's going to play like 3s? Or is everyone just going to pick Ryu?
Anyway, the game doesn't look like 3s to me. If anything, it's just adding and removing elements of the previous games.

Ryu can't parry like in 3s. Parry in 3s wasn't a command and was powerful because you could simply buffer forward before choosing your next option. Command parries involving inputs and a whiff animation are far more unsafe, and can be baited out in far more ways.

Sesha

So far the V-Skills aren't that interesting. I thought initially they were pushing for more unique character gimmicks like in Skullgirls (Big Band's parry, Beowulf's hype mechanic, etc.). Bison and Charlie both absorb shit, while Ryu has a parry. Chun-Li just has lower jumps, wtf.

So looking forward to this... just please, please put Juri in this. I'll buy three copies if you do <3

(I don't see how Juri doesn't make it, but you never know... it's Capcom)

Juri will be the sole Representative of SF4 capcom conducted a pull i think juri was ranked 1

Sanctuary

Ryu can't parry like in 3s. Parry in 3s wasn't a command and was powerful because you could simply buffer forward before choosing your next option. Command parries involving inputs and a whiff animation are far more unsafe, and can be baited out in far more ways.

I already realized this before posting. But you know, if a bunch of people are going to keep saying "3s because parry", I'm just going to concede. I didn't bother commenting on how they don't function exactly the same. It's easy enough to see how very different it is in the Chun vs Ryu video. It's closer to Gouken's "parry". Yes, I know that was a focus.

So far the V-Skills aren't that interesting. I thought initially they were pushing for more unique character gimmicks like in Skullgirls (Big Band's parry, Beowulf's hype mechanic, etc.). Bison and Charlie both absorb shit, while Ryu has a parry. Chun-Li just has lower jumps, wtf.

There talking about when the characters go in V-Gauge mode how each one is different.

Skab

Nash isn't a charge character now? So why does it look like he plays like one? He had the aerial reverse somersault in the VS games, but he still had to charge for his sonic boom and ground somersault.

And both are now quarter circle motions.

Sanctuary

And both are now quarter circle motions.

Link? In the match video, he's constantly moving back to launch a sonic boom. He also never walks forward and does a somersault. I mean, I guess they could have been changed to be closer to Seth's, but it still looks like charge character gameplay. They change it to a quarter circle, but then added a huge startup animation, followed by much less recovery than your typical quarter circle projectile?

V-system kinda reminds me of what Guilty Gear's Tension does, or perhaps GG aped that system from a previous SF game in the series?

In either case, using gauge for counters and specials is something I've always been fond of.

roknin

Juri will be the sole Representative of SF4 capcom conducted a pull i think juri was ranked 1

Word? Nice!

Although I will say, that'd be strange, I figured C. Viper would make it too, she's fairly popular. But of the IV characters, Juri is the one that really caught on. Abel is pretty bland, Rufus is pretty hated overall, Fuerte is meh (keeping in mind I like both Abel and Fuerte personally)...

Only one I feel bad about (aside from Viper) is Hakan. He's so unique and fun to watch, it'd be a shame if he didn't make it.

cackhyena

Yeah, I'd want Juri and/or Hakan if I was choosing. I always liked going against Abel, but overall, he's kind of a bland character. I hate Fuerte almost as much as Blanka so he can fuck the fuck off.

Top Bottom