• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

Forkball

They're gonna run out of letters for gauges.

The V system sounds interesting though. It kind of reminds me of Smash Bros. in the way that it is a uniform input for each character. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom had a lot of similar input commands for each characters and it was a more accessible fighter. Although some say SFIV was supposed to be an easy entry into fighters with Ultras, I found its systems to be still rather complex if you didn't dedicate your time to practicing them.

Also Nash is a Villager ripoff.

Do you guys think Critical Arts will see very little use in this game? They're basically a replacement for Supers, but unlike 3S you can't build up multiple Supers(depending on the Super). And unlike SF4 you don't have another powerful attack on top of the Super that uses a different gauge. You have your one bar and that's it, saving it for Super means no EX moves.

Maybe EX moves aren't that big of a deal in this game like they are in SF4. It does kind of seems like the addition of V trigger and V skills lessens their importance. But if EX moves are still a pretty big deal then having to need a full bar for Critical Arts kind of makes it irrelevant.

Kouichi

Wait! Did they sped up the trailers or battle engine?

Engine
Combofiend said:
"What we did was look at all the good things we've done over the years versus all the things players didn't necessarily like, so there are SO many good things, positive mechanics that people loved over the years," explained Rosas. "So we wanted to focus on that aspect, while also having the game feel new and fun. We thought the speed from Super Street Fighter II Turbo was appropriate, so we sped the game...but then, we also wanted each character to feel like a unique experience.

Do you guys think Critical Arts will see very little use in this game? They're basically a replacement for Supers, but unlike 3S you can't build up multiple Supers(depending on the Super). And unlike SF4 you don't have another powerful attack on top of the Super that uses a different gauge. You have your one bar and that's it, saving it for Super means no EX moves.

Maybe EX moves aren't that big of a deal in this game like they are in SF4. It does kind of seems like the addition of V trigger and V skills lessens their importance. But if EX moves are still a pretty big deal then having to need a full bar for Critical Arts kind of makes it irrelevant.

I don't think we'll see them a lot. Looks like a lot of EX moves make specials combo-able so they are super useful. But we'll see them for desperation or to finish opponents. But will have to wait and see.

cackhyena

I've already been thinking that if I got my hands on this game as is, I wouldn't be using Critical Arts that much. At least right now, EX moves do seem more useful. Chun's low forward into CA and Bison's "gotcha" CA out of the air do seem pretty damn useful, though. I'd kill for an option to turn off the cinematic parts of those. I don't care if they are just as long, just leave them at the same camera as I watch.

TacosNSalsa

It's way to early to say. With out knowing their properties and frame data who knows what you can use them for. With a fast enough start up having a loaded super can be a HUGE deterrent for someone to do certain moves/hit buttons.

Well it still early so only time will tell .
Still it will mostly likely depends on a few factors like character you playing , how fast bar builds up , characters V move \mode , frame data etc etc .

Endo Punk

I wasn't too impressed with the focus system in SF4, it seemed kinda bog standard sort of affair but this V system is genuinely impressing me with all its options and differences between characters.

Visually the game looks heaps better than it was first shown apart from level design, at least in the london stage. Still if it keeps up this pace with each build come release it will an incredibly pretty looking game worthy of the current gen.

Also I'm gonna play the crap out of Bison, best incarnation of the character in a long time despite no standard psycho crusher.

ElFly

I find weird that both Bison and Nash have V-skills that let them absorb projectiles.

What happens when they face characters without projectiles? It seems like you take away a huge part of their game, because the V-skill is used to charge V-bar faster.

I mean, Rose reflecting moves were somewhat useless when there were no fireballs, sure, but that wasn't tied to a complete charge system.

cackhyena

Since they said they are focusing on a better sp, I really hope it's not as story driven as something like MK, and they hearken back to Alpha 3's structure. God that was fun.

I find weird that both Bison and Nash have V-skills that let them absorb projectiles.

What happens when they face characters without projectiles? It seems like you take away a huge part of their game, because the V-skill is used to charge V-bar faster.

I mean, Rose reflecting moves were somewhat useless when there were no fireballs, sure, but that wasn't tied to a complete charge system.

Nash's V-Skill has a hurtbox so it does damage when done up close. Bison's V-Skill can also negate normal specials as well and still throws a counter blast.

As someone who didn't start playing seriously until SF4, critical arts scare me. What I mean by that is that I started off in a game where you had forever to confirm into your Ultras. Supers were in the game but they weren't important. Maybe besides Dhalsim and Yun, almost no character ever saved up for Super. So now that low forward > Super(or Critical Art in this case) is a thing again, I'm scared that I can't make use of it because I simply lack the reactions to confirm off a single hit.

I'm hoping Capcom comes up with ways for most if not every character to more easily confirm into Critical Arts. I don't want to do jab, jab, low forward, Shinkuu Hadoken if it gets scaled to hell. But anyways, none of that will matter if EX meter is still very important to winning matches. But we'll learn about that in time. The matches with the pros at E3 should give us an early idea.

Confirmed Ryu can parry critical arts

For old times sake, just have Daigo and Justin play a scripted match at E3. We gotta see moment 37 in SFV lol.

They do more than just absorb projectiles .
Also both can be used as a button

TacosNSalsa

I would like to think a smart player wouldn't be pitching fireballs at them when they have it activated...so it would be useless then too . Kind of like throwing fireballs at Rose at full screen is useless..There are plenty of characters in Ultra that shutdown the options of their opponent I don't see how this would be any different

Skilletor

Nash's v-skill hits up close and apparently absorbs some life? Bison's absorbs one attack, kind of like a move with armor.

cackhyena

As someone who didn't start playing seriously until SF4, critical arts scare me. What I mean by that is that I started off in a game where you had forever to confirm into your Ultras. Supers were in the game but they weren't important. Maybe besides Dhalsim and Yun, almost no character ever saved up for Super. So now that low forward > Super(or Critical Art in this case) is a thing again, I'm scared that I can't make use of it because I simply lack the reactions to confirm off a single hit.

I'm hoping Capcom comes up with ways for most if not every character to more easily confirm into Critical Arts. I don't want to do jab, jab, low forward, Shinkuu Hadoken if it gets scaled to hell. But anyways, none of that will matter if EX meter is still very important to winning matches. But we'll learn about that in time. The matches with the pros at E3 should give us an early idea.

Dude, I've played you in the past. You'd be more than capable of getting the hang of it. Find a way to play some 3s if you can. If it's anything like that, you'll be fine. Ken could do it off of three low shorts. It's really not that big of a deal. If you can do some of the more complicated extensions in an E Ryu combo, you have the dexterity/timing to do what they are asking here.

ElFly

We will probably see widespread use of Critical Arts.

Problem with SF4 was that the Ultras displaced Supers, so the super bar was mostly used for EX moves, which some exceptions.

SF3 had a single bar for supers and ex, and no ultras, and supers were used (just not as much as in the Alpha series).

SF3 had the advantage of letting you charge several super bars depending on the selected super art, but here that seems to be a single bar.

So basically, super use should be, way more than in SF4, slightly less than in SF3.

Dude, I've played you in the past. You'd be more than capable of getting the hang of it. Find a way to play some 3s if you can. If it's anything like that, you'll be fine. Ken could do it off of three low shorts. It's really not that big of a deal. If you can do some of the more complicated extensions in an E Ryu combo, you have the dexterity/timing to do what they are asking here.

It's not about being able to do it at all, it's about getting the most out of it. Lets say low forward is 60 damage and Critical art is 350. So Ryu does that, he gets 410. But if he does 3 low shorts into Critical Art(and each low short is 20 damage) then he does 301 damage if scaling is the same as it is in SF4. That's over 100 less damage because I don't have the reactions.

Sure I can hit links and shit, but I don't have good reactions. I still struggle mightily to DP my opponents when I'm in footsie range and they randomly jump on me. I actually use to practice Ryu's low forward Super in SF4 just to see if I could do it. I never could, and I mean I wasn't close at all :(

It's not about being able to do it at all, it's about getting the most out of it. Lets say low forward is 60 damage and Critical art is 350. So Ryu does that, he gets 410. But if he does 3 low shorts into Critical Art(and each low short is 20 damage) then he does 301 damage if scaling is the same as it is in SF4. That's over 100 less damage because I don't have the reactions.

Sure I can hit links and shit, but I don't have good reactions. I still struggle mightily to DP my opponents when I'm in footsie range and they randomly jump on me. I actually use to practice Ryu's low forward Super in SF4 just to see if I could do it. I never could, and I mean I wasn't close at all :(

If this is the case then you'll just have to practise more. You can improve your reactions through repeated play and smart use of the training mode.

Yeah one of the capcom reps said so yesterday. You can re enact EVO moment 37

But I heard Ryu can't air parry.

Evo moment 37 climaxes with Daigo jumping and air parrying the last hit of SA2 (even though it was a neutral jump, if you air parry, the subsequent retaliatory move is the jump forward version, which is why he got that jfHK to start the round finishing combo).

Try this (if you haven't already) input QCF MK then when it connects input QCF P.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
After reading all the info and watching videos it's clear the haters who claimed it's just a slightly different SFIV don't have a leg to stand on anymore. Can't wait to see what the pros do with this.

jerry1594

Online dramatic battle, two less good people vs someone much better would be cool.
After reading all the info and watching videos it's clear the haters who claimed it's just a slightly different SFIV don't have a leg to stand on anymore. Can't wait to see what the pros do with this.
Well yeah, it has changed a shitton since we last saw it.

XenoRaven

For old times sake, just have Daigo and Justin play a scripted match at E3. We gotta see moment 37 in SFV lol.
You probably already know this, but generally when people are fishing for low forward into Super, they're buffering the Super input while the low forward is out. So the confirm becomes just a button press as opposed to a full Super input. I think you'll be fine once you get used to it. I think virtually anyone who can DP FADC U1 with Ryu in SFIV can confirm low forward into Super.

Sheroking

It looks like it's used to prolong the combo after the initial EX move. I don't think it's a cancel, though

If you're using V-trigger to chain a -8 on block special move into a -2 on block special move, it might as well be FADC.

The key to this, I think, is they don't allow reversals to be canceled with V-trigger. No more safe DPs.

cackhyena

I'm honestly surprised you struggle with that. Knowing what you can do. Seems damage is overall bigger in this game, so I wouldn't try to think about SF4 too much concerning it here.

I'm the opposite. I feel my reaction times and reads are better than my ability to land lengthy combos confidently every time.

Mike M

Nick N
I am loving almost everything about this game, but I really hate what they're doing with the energy swooshes or whatever you want to call them. The ink effect in SF4 was alright, but now with the added color and dimensionality it looks like tendrils of Play-Doh swarming around. Ryu's and Chun-Li's looked okay (looked like ink vs water power or something) but I'm absolutely hating it on Nash and Bison.

I'm sure I'll get over it, but still...

Baleoce

From the pros and journos that have played the game so far in its current build (although I'd only expect the former to actually look for them), have there been many option selects found? Kind of hoping it's a rare thing in V.

Top Bottom