• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

Baleoce

If you're using V-trigger to chain a -8 on block special move into a -2 on block special move, it might as well be FADC.

The key to this, I think, is they don't allow reversals to be canceled with V-trigger. No more safe DPs.

Yes, hopefully this is a consistent rule throughout the roster. Make people commit.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll just practice this more and see if I can make any progress with it. I just turned on my PS4 a few minutes ago to try low forward Super again with Ryu. Yeah the reactions still aren't their to reliably confirm. I'm still blowing Super a lot even on block(when I set the dummy to block randomly).

XenoRaven

I could have sworn I saw a DP V-Trigger cancel, but it could be my mind playing tricks on me. I don't want to go back and watch all the videos AGAIN to be sure...

Sheroking

Yes, hopefully this is a consistent rule throughout the roster. Make people commit.

Thinking on it, it actually might be better to give it the old Oni treatment. You can V-trigger cancel reversals ONLY on hit.

Cool combo potential is always a good thing, but making hard reversals safe on block is not and slows the game down.

kirblar

I could have sworn I saw a DP V-Trigger cancel, but it could be my mind playing tricks on me. I don't want to go back and watch all the videos AGAIN to be sure...
You did- or at least a DP->Super cancel. One of the CMs told Max on twitter that they've been removed from reversals.

Qvoth

so you can cancel normals into v trigger but not specials? i guess that makes sense, hyakurenkyaku to v trigger for chunli sounds scary

Sheroking

so you can cancel normals into v trigger but not specials? i guess that makes sense, hyakurenkyaku to v trigger for chunli sounds scary

You can cancel some specials, just hopefully no reversals.

Nash can cancel sonic boom into V-trigger teleport.

Still trying to adjust to Chun Li's good deal of extra makeup. She almost looks like a Geisha girl now. I never figured her as the kind of woman needing to wear all that makeup, I mean wouldn't she normally sweat most of that off after an intense fight or workout?

Dunno, just never seen her with that much before. She has a natural beauty that doesn't call for that much makeup tbqh, this is just my opinion. Still looking on-point everywhere else tho ;)

ec0ec0

So now that low forward > Super(or Critical Art in this case) is a thing again, I'm scared that I can't make use of it because I simply lack the reactions to confirm off a single hit.

I'm pretty sure that they won't ask you to confirm "off a single hit". They know that there's people that don't like the idea.

When you have to confirm if you did hit your opponent, to be sure that you can continue your combo (without wasting your meter), the basic thing is to do a normal and cancel it into a special move right away. You throw out a normal and instantly cancel it into a special move (that will only come out if the normal hits). Basically, you're doing two attack without even knowing if the first one is going to hit or not. You do it this way because, if the normal hits, the special move will give you time to confirm that the normal did in fact hit, as you won't have to input anything while hit confirming (you already did the special move).

Multiple times, in the SF5 videos that we have seen, people confirm chun-li's critical art that way. They throw out a low forward and cancel it into lightning legs right away. While the cancel happens, they have time to hit confirm and do a second cancel (this tome from a special move to a critical art)

An example of this in SF4 would be when ryu has enough meter for a FADC combo, and he wants to hit confirm with the lowest number of hits possible. Imagine that you are ryu, you knocked down your opponent and he is now standing up. You have two meters and want to frame trap hit once he stands up. So, you do a standing hard punch and cancel it into a hadouken right away. Now you look at you oponent to hit confirm. The fireball gives you the time you need to see if the standing hard punch hitted your oppnent or if it was blocked. If it did hit, you cancel the hadouken with a FADC and continue the combo. If they blocked, you do nothing.

Grakl

Still trying to adjust to Chun Li's good deal of extra makeup. She almost looks like a Geisha girl now. I never figured her as the kind of woman needing to wear all that makeup, I mean wouldn't she normally sweat most of that off after an intense fight or workout?

Dunno, just never seen her with that much before. She has a natural beauty that doesn't call for that much makeup tbqh, this is just my opinion. Still looking on-point everywhere else tho ;)

Lol

Greenzxy

I think it fits with the theme of everyone getting old.
Ryu has battered and brown clothes.
Bison has white hair.
Since Chun Li is nearing 50 she has makeup now to coverup up her age?

Usoto215

Neo Member

She just has a bit of lipstick on, doesnt have that intense white face of a geisha. nothing too crazy. Bison having old man white hair, that's weird to me.

From the pros and journos that have played the game so far in its current build (although I'd only expect the former to actually look for them), have there been many option selects found? Kind of hoping it's a rare thing in V.

None reported yet, but there will be option selects, kind of comes with the territory. I cannot wait for more info and more top players getting their hands on it.

cackhyena

Hearing Jason from Giantbomb talk about this game was weird. He was echoing the same sentiments of Eurogamer about it being a lot like SF4. He knows what he's talking about with fighters usually.

This was in the Beastcast btw.

If you're using V-trigger to chain a -8 on block special move into a -2 on block special move, it might as well be FADC.

The key to this, I think, is they don't allow reversals to be canceled with V-trigger. No more safe DPs.

could someone please translate this to someone who don't speak fighting game language? I think I understand the first sentence. but got lost in not allowing reversal to be canceled with v trigger thing

ec0ec0

You did- or at least a DP->Super cancel. One of the CMs told Max on twitter that they've been removed from reversals.

Does this mean that you can do the cancel if the shoryken is not used as a "reveral"? Or with "reveral" you mean invincible moves in general, indepently of how they are used?

kirblar

Does this mean that you can do the cancel if the shoryken is not used as a "reveral"? Or with "reveral" you mean invincible moves in general, indepently of how they are used?
It sounded like the latter. DP->FADC->Ultra had a lot of really negative gameplay implications in SF4.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
could someone please translate this to someone who don't speak fighting game language? I think I understand the first sentence. but got lost in not allowing reversal to be canceled with v trigger thing
In SF4 you could just mash out uppercut inbetween blockstrings or on your wake-up and make it safe with a focus attack dash cancel. Could even led into ultra for some characters. He's saying that this will not be the same with V-Trigger activation cancels.

Hearing Jason from Giantbomb talk about this game was weird. He was echoing the same sentiments of Eurogamer about it being a lot like SF4. He knows what he's talking about with fighters usually.

This was in the Beastcast btw.

I mean I doubt it. The focus not being there completely changes how the game is played.

ec0ec0

Thinking on it, it actually might be better to give it the old Oni treatment. You can V-trigger cancel reversals ONLY on hit.

Cool combo potential is always a good thing, but making hard reversals safe on block is not and slows the game down.

Actually, many people would probably tell you that having the ability of potentially getting a lot of damage out of a shoryuken (a 3 frames startup move with invincibility that covers all the startup frames and, at least, the first active frame) is bad for the game no matter what.

stn

I hope this game is harsh on people who play dumb. No more AA's trading, no more reversal mashing, and no more safe reversals at the expense of meter. I want people to commit to shit they do. Also, lack of focus attack and increased chip damage will make matches faster and more brutal. Lastly, I hope oki is actually rewarding. I'm not talking about ambiguous pressure, I'm talking about at least being able to initiate regular pressure after getting a knock down. Make the opponent have to commit to a reversal OR read a throw properly to get out.

An example of this in SF4 would be when ryu has enough meter for a FADC combo, and he wants to hit confirm with the lowest number of hits possible. Imagine that you are ryu, you knocked down your opponent and he is now standing up. You have two meters and want to frame trap hit once he stands up. So, you do a standing hard punch and cancel it into a hadouken right away. Now you look at you oponent to hit confirm. The fireball gives you the time you need to see if the standing hard punch hitted your oppnent or if it was blocked. If it did hit, you cancel the hadouken with a FADC and continue the combo. If they blocked, you do nothing.

I play Evil Ryu in USF4, I confirm low forward > fireball into big damage all the time lol. The more I think about it my other big issue is that I'm terrible at doing double qcf really fast. I actually have to concentrate a little when I do it. Besides reactions I end up screwing up a lot and getting a DP instead of super. But yeah, if I can't do single hit confirms then I just can't do it and will have to look for other methods or longer confirms to land it.

Sheroking

Reversals like uppercuts used to be hard reads. Meaning if you did them and they didn't work, you got punished hard. In SF4, you can cancel them to make them safe (more or less) with focus canceling.

So if you make it so you can't use the V-trigger to cancel reversals, you don't have to worry about that situation repeating.

Kain

Reversals like uppercuts used to be hard reads. Meaning if you did them and they didn't work, you got punished hard. In SF4, you can cancel them to make them safe (more or less) with focus canceling.

So if you make it so you can't use the V-trigger to cancel reversals, you don't have to worry about that situation repeating.

Only Ken players like spamming Shoryukens so focus-cancel gone is good.

denshuu

Only Ken players like spamming Shoryukens so focus-cancel gone is good.

"Spamming" is not an issue. The issue is scoring a knockdown and being at an offensive disadvantage because your opponent can throw out a reversal without having to correctly guess if you're going to attack or block on his wakeup.

Sheroking

"Spamming" is not an issue. The issue is scoring a knockdown and being at an offensive disadvantage because your opponent can throw out a reversal without having to correctly guess if you're going to attack or block on his wakeup.

Exactly.

Even with the nerf to -5, there is virtually no reason not to use DP+FADC as a defensive option.

Kain

I'm a Vega player, I don't know what you mean with this "guess if you're going to attack or block on his wakeup". Never been in that situation before.

WOW. That's a lot of Hokuto no Ken here.

PDVD_026.jpeg

Top Bottom