• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Systems Trailer and hands-on impressions

kirblar

I'm a Vega player, I don't know what you mean with this "guess if you're going to attack or block on his wakeup". Never been in that situation before.
Wakeups are a guessing game. The defending player is forced to try and guess what the offensive player is going to do. If they think they're going to attack immediately, throwing out an invincible reversal is great. But if the other player does nothing, they then get punished for it.

It's risk/reward. The issue is that being able to cancel out of the reversal lets you get the best of both worlds. If they attack? Reversal! If they block? Cancel->Backdash. The penalty for being wrong is gone, and it's made even worse by the ability for many characters to Ultra their opponent after a successfully cancelled reversal in SF4, so it becomes two potential outcomes of "EAT MASSIVE DAMAGE" or "SAFE", which is completely off of what the risk/reward should be for that type of attack (Momentum change + small chunk of Damage vs going to eat a lot of damage)

Kain

Wakeups are a guessing game. The defending player is forced to try and guess what the offensive player is going to do. If they think they're going to attack immediately, throwing out an invincible reversal is great. But if the other player does nothing, they then get punished for it.

It's risk/reward. The issue is that being able to cancel out of the reversal lets you get the best of both worlds. If they attack? Reversal! If they block? Cancel->Backdash. The penalty for being wrong is gone, and it's made even worse by the ability for many characters to Ultra their opponent after a successfully cancelled reversal in SF4, so it becomes two potential outcomes of "EAT MASSIVE DAMAGE" or "SAFE", which is completely off of what the risk/reward should be for that type of attack (Momentum change + small chunk of Damage vs going to eat a lot of damage)

I was being sarcastic because with Vega there are usually no advantages whatsoever on the opponent's wakeup, but thanks anyway xD

Sheroking

Actually, many people would probably tell you that having the ability of potentially getting a lot of damage out of a shoryuken (a 3 frames startup move with invincibility that covers all the startup frames and, at least, the first active frame) is bad for the game no matter what.

Shotos are pretty much always able to super cancel their shoryu's for some of the most damage they can get. I don't see why being able to V-trigger on hit and combo, with scaling, is worse than that.

Reversals like uppercuts used to be hard reads. Meaning if you did them and they didn't work, you got punished hard. In SF4, you can cancel them to make them safe (more or less) with focus canceling.

So if you make it so you can't use the V-trigger to cancel reversals, you don't have to worry about that situation repeating.

what's a reversal? the V-reversal move that take 1 V gauge?there's nothing like that in SF4 right? I don't remember there's a reversal mechanic unless I've been missing it for years.

FinKL

Desk with an awesome SF4/SFV speed comparison video that actually explains a lot of the "feels like SF4" comments- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnBzIi5nchE The timing on Ryu's stuff really hasn't changed, it's just the pace of other things in the game, so it feels familiar to people who played SF4.

Great Desk video, you can clearly see that the throw knockdowns & throw tech create a faster pace as the person that gets thrown ends up on the ground for a lot less and the tech ends pretty quickly than what we're used to in 4.

what's a reversal? the V-reversal move that take 1 V gauge?there's nothing like that in SF4 right? I don't remember there's a reversal mechanic unless I've been missing it for years.

After block stun/waking up, if you input a special move in SF4 you'll get a "reversal" popup is what we're talking about. There's armor-breaking properties on "reversals" in SF4 (and some would call it the mash flag), but in previous versions (SF2?) certain moves gained invincible frames when a move was considered "reversal"

Is there a hires version of this anywhere?

4569sld2.jpg

http://www.capcom.co.jp/blog/sf4/saikyo_blog/2015/06/12_8042.html

JP

It's surprising how much of a difference the lighting effects make to the overall look of the game, they're quite subtle in some ways but I do like them.

Off topic but I'm still holding out for an update to Diablo III which added real time lighting casting to all the spells. It would probably be enough to kill people but I'd love to see it.

ec0ec0

Shotos are pretty much always able to super cancel their shoryu's for some of the most damage they can get. I don't see why being able to V-trigger on hit and combo, with scaling, is worse than that.

I'm not sure. There's a big difference. If you cancel the shoryuken into your super, at least you used all your hard earned meter. If you cancel it into V-trigger, you're using the meter that you got "for free" by simply getting hit.

From what we have seen, you can get the V-trigger rather quickly: by getting hit + successfully using you V-skill. On the other hand, you're going to need to do a lot more to get a full ex bar.

Desk with an awesome SF4/SFV speed comparison video that actually explains a lot of the "feels like SF4" comments- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnBzIi5nchE The timing on Ryu's stuff really hasn't changed, it's just the pace of other things in the game, so it feels familiar to people who played SF4.

Damn... that's kinda disappointing.

I realize that it's still early, but hopefully by the end it doesn't sync up as much as that.

Those V skills sound really good. It makes me think everyone is probably getting some projectile nullifier. And as a grappler fan this is really intriguing...

IMO Blanka would be too obvious, I'd bet on Santamu.
She is accompanied by a monkey, was already rumored to be added to USF4, would fill the doll archetype slot in this game and she's from Vietnam, a country which has yet to be represented in SF.
And like we saw with Decapre, Capcom seems keen to develop dolls lately.
santamu_sf_pictureboxart_160w.jpg

please capcom

Clawww

it's interesting to imagine what many character's v-skills and triggers will do. like, even ken, I'm not sure what he'd get. maybe some kind of taunt with effects? taunt to buff next attack or take more damage on the next hit?

it's going to make the reveals way more interesting knowing we might get all new mechanics along with each new character.

Greenzxy

Huh? why are Ryu's attacks matching so much now, like didn't he have a different low M/ Low H kick back in live demo back in 2014?

ElFly

Huh? why are Ryu's attacks matching so much now, like didn't he have a different low M/ Low H kick back in live demo back in 2014?

They sped up the game.

Maybe to SF4 standards.

The SFV game that was shown earlier with Ryu/Chunli was way slower than this.

kirblar

The speed increases are coming from the ability to quick-rise from most knockdowns, faster throw techs, lack of invincible backdashes. Which is a good thing. Increasing the pace in those sorts of ways speeds it up without increasing execution barrier to entry.

Greenzxy

They sped up the game.

Maybe to SF4 standards.

The SFV game that was shown earlier with Ryu/Chunli was way slower than this.

No, I meant animation wise, like when Ryu did his low medium Kick (I think that was) in the live 2014 demo It look like he was kicking his feet like a truck and it felt more realstic, now it looks exactly like SF4 animation. The SFV's animation still feels weighty overall though.

ElFly

No, I meant animation wise, like when Ryu did his low medium Kick (I think that was) in the live 2014 demo It look like he was kicking his feet like a truck and it felt more realstic, now it looks exactly like SF4 kinda werid unrealistic animation. The SFV's animation still feels weighty overall though.

Yeah, someone else noticed that too.

I kind of digged the old new kicks animations. They gave me a SF3 vibe, because in that game Ryu also changed some of his moves from the 2/alpha/4 standards.

Sheroking

Reversals in this context are just specials you use on wake-up. So any uppercut, messiah kick, flash kick, etc.

I'm not sure. There's a big difference. If you cancel the shoryuken into your super, at least you used all your hard earned meter. If you cancel it into V-trigger, you're using the meter that you got "for free" by simply getting hit.

From what we have seen, you can get the V-trigger rather quickly: by getting hit + successfully using you V-skill. On the other hand, you're going to need to do a lot more to get a full ex bar.

You get ex bar by getting hit, too. At least with V-gauge, you build it the best way by using your V-skill properly, so you "earn" your meter basically.

It's not a problem. Successfully hit-confirming on a risky special SHOULD give you damage.

Clawww

I'm not liking this at all.

I think the attack/combo/cancel timings felt fine in SF4, but the other stuff like slow knockdowns, long techs, and high pushback on everything plus low damage is what stunted the offensive flow. which is pretty much what they've tweaked, so I'm cool with that.

Sheroking

I think the attack/combo/cancel timings felt fine in SF4, but the other stuff like slow knockdowns, long techs, and high pushback on everything plus low damage is what stunted the offensive flow. which is pretty much what they've tweaked, so I'm cool with that.

You'll find the frame data on Ryu's normals is pretty similar from 3S and the 4 series. It's not actually walk speed or how fast the buttons are that dictates the pace of the game, it's how the game engine/character designs incentivize you to play.

Holy shit at that Dailymotion video.

Dynamic music for the rounds like 3rd Strike, super fast and intense pace, supers that look terrific...

Day one. :)

How amazing would be if Sean takes Ken's roster spot with his pseudo-shoto moveset

nded

Isn't Ryu supposed to be the familiar entry point to every new iteration of Street fighter anyway? It's not like we don't already have two characters that have had their move lists heavily revamped and the possibility of completely new characters.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Can confirm from Una, SF5 doesn't have chains, but a lot of target combos like 3s.

Ryu's got strong-fierce-roundhouse, Nash Jab-Strong, or Short-Forward. Ryu's isn't special cancellable tho.

FinKL

Do we know if the supers change during V-trigger, SNK style?

For certain characters they do, Ryu's Shinku Hadoken turns into Denjin Hadoken for example. Chun's Trigger doesn't augment special moves, while Ryu's does.
EDIT Dam beaten

Like Max said, I also got SfxT vibes, as a combo takes a good chunk of health. @ 5:50 Bison raw jump in does like 30%. I'm pretty sure you can kill with 3-4 full punishes. Even the throws and pokes do quite a bit.

Top Bottom