• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Shadybiz

Just picked this up yesterday; only had time to do some of the training, and like one battle in Arcade mode, but I am definitely liking it so far. I'm trying to branch out from my usual Ryu or Sagat, and I'm going to try to main a Steve/Guile combo.

Some of the training combos are hard as hell to pull off. Example:
Guile
Jump + MK
Stand + MP
Flash Kick

I know that the punch animation and the collision give you time to hold down for the Flash Kick, but damn if that's not hard, and it seems like you always need about a half second more. Tried about 20 times and moved on. If anyone has done this, what's the secret?

alstein

Doesn't she have an anti air grab?

It's about as useful as Abel's. EX has some utility though.

Throw range is tiny, but I think there's enough offensive threat that folks block enough where throws remain viable.

Some of the training combos are hard as hell to pull off. Example:
Guile
Jump + MK
Stand + MP
Flash Kick

I know that the punch animation and the collision give you time to hold down for the Flash Kick, but damn if that's not hard, and it seems like you always need about a half second more. Tried about 20 times and moved on. If anyone has done this, what's the secret?

You do Jump+MK, flash kick, but do the standing MP when you're at neutral when going up for the flash kick.

kiryogi

Banned
GGs to everyone on psn tonight. Tag battle was fun, lol, tho we should rotate partners sometime. . . Roc was totally carrying the team XD

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Not digging Chun Li here. Really liking Julia. Any good partner for her in this game? Someone with good offensive potential?

Also... who's idea was it that the Hazanshou doesn't hit overhead? Everyone and their mom do overheads and she doesn't. Wtf

I am having problems linking the tutorial combos, what's the general rule of thumb with this game? Should I input these commands really fast? And buffer the next command ala Tekken? Or should I go for a slower but more precise timing? I see the youtube videos of people going to the trials in 1 try and I can't for the love of god figure out what am I doing wrong, I am missing some vital information?, maybe regarding link moves?, so please, some combo guru please shed some light on the matter. Halp!!!!

I am having problems linking the tutorial combos, what's the general rule of thumb with this game? Should I input these commands really fast? And buffer the next command ala Tekken? Or should I go for a slower but more precise timing? I see the youtube videos of people going to the trials in 1 try and I can't for the love of god figure out what am I doing wrong, I am missing some vital information?, maybe regarding link moves?, so please, some combo guru please shed some light on the matter. Halp!!!!

With links, ideally you'll want to input the next command once the character has completely retracted their limb to their neutral position.

most normal moves links have bizaro timing; they are way slower than old SF2 games and harder to time because of the sloth of the animation

doing Bison's cr.LK ... cr.LK... cr.LK is so slow compared the Street Fighters of the past to the point of comedy

I usually really on sound or visual que of the animation realling back but some are so slow that is throws you off completely.

I advise using combos that are more damaging, easier to execute and practicle than go out all fancy ona bunch cr.LK normals that you can do without

T.O.P

Banned
ibioV9u1mhH8l7.jpg

"Milgiori lottari" instead of "Migliori lottatori"

this is getting weird lol

LowParry

Ugh, so hard to get good time with this game when I got ME3 going on. Oiy. Guess it's just lab work when I get the chance to play. Julia's turning out to be quite the character.

Just so we are all clear, once you purchase the game, you then have the option of purchasing/downloading the following..... (assuming of course when they arrive)

- 12 Characters (14 for 360 I guess)
- Alternate outfits and those boring Swap Costumes. (Not completely boring though)
- DLC gems (already known that some of these will be better than the regular ones)
- Colour Packs (Don't really get why you can only use black and white here and why they need to distribute these via download packs when they're all on the disc)
- Quick Combo presets... ? (Purchase more shortcuts or something? http://www.hadoken.net/?p=4790)

That's should be all right? Hmm seems like I have to save up. :x

Got a TE stick, and as a first time stick user, Im finding it rather difficult getting the inputs in, especially forward + button type commands. Feels like Im doing it all at once, but it usually registers separately. Button THEN forward.

Definitely need some more time with the game though. This week has just been nonstop from 5 am to about 9 pm every day. Need to get my Abel fleshed out (could even get past his first practice round, the forward kick, dash : / , almost thought the stick might be jacked up, but doesnt feel like it, just times where my inputs dont look wrong exactly, just reacts as nothing at all registering.)

LowParry

Got a TE stick, and as a first time stick user, Im finding it rather difficult getting the inputs in, especially forward + button type commands. Feels like Im doing it all at once, but it usually registers separately. Button THEN forward.

Give it time and a lot of practice. First couple of months when I started using a stick was difficult. Going from pad warrior to an arcade stick was pretty challenging. And I'm glad I didn't give up because to me, an arcade stick is a million times better and I feel much more accurate with my fighting games. I think it's well worth the investment however that doesn't mean pad players are trash. I've seen a ton of good players who play on pad as well. It's all preference in the end.

Give it time and a lot of practice. First couple of months when I started using a stick was difficult. Going from pad warrior to an arcade stick was pretty challenging. And I'm glad I didn't give up because to me, an arcade stick is a million times better and I feel much more accurate with my fighting games. I think it's well worth the investment however that doesn't mean pad players are trash. I've seen a ton of good players who play on pad as well. It's all preference in the end.

Yeah, I definitely prefer the layout and feel of the buttons and everything on the TE stick, but its going to take practice to get used to the stick as opposed to years and years of d-pads and analogs. The hardest thing so far is that when trying to put together moves and combos, its hard to tell if its my timing or inexperience with the arcade stick.

LordAlu

Indeed, I used to play on pad, and with the terrible stock pads that come with consoles I always used a SFIV Ken pad. When that gave up the ghost I decided to go for a TE stick, and man the first few months were hard. I was dropping stuff like crazy, and to be honest I still do now (DP after crouch attacks is still a trouble for me), but I'm a better player now than I ever was with a pad. Playing UMvC3 on Vita feels almost impossible for me :p

LakeEarth

If you can add moves to the trials it's probably easier to do crouching MP before standing MP.

Yup like SFIV and unlike Marvel, you can add moves during the trial. Helps out sometimes.

Oh god, you get an achievement just for checking the store.

So who's the easiest Tekken character to learn? My experiments with Kuma and Marduk didn't go anywhere.

jmdajr

Man I really wish i had better internet connection, the lag was awful :(

I still had fun though, especially with the 2 on 2 battles. It's super chaotic but I liked it.

Will rent again!

alstein

Yup like SFIV and unlike Marvel, you can add moves during the trial. Helps out sometimes.

Oh god, you get an achievement just for checking the store.

So who's the easiest Tekken character to learn? My experiments with Kuma and Marduk didn't go anywhere.

Paul maybe, but he seems kinda limited- does good damage if you can hit though.

Esura

Banned
Anyone else who got the special edition and put up their piggy banks noticed how useless the box is? Anyone throw the special edition box away? I'm considering considering how much space it takes up with no artbook or soundtrack or anything in it.

LakeEarth

Paul maybe, but he seems kinda limited- does good damage if you can hit though.

Yeah, I'm looking for someone with a high damaging hyper. Rolento can combo into Cross Assault so easily, and I win games off it all the time. I'll try out Paul, thanks.

Just so we are all clear, once you purchase the game, you then have the option of purchasing/downloading the following..... (assuming of course when they arrive)

- 12 Characters (14 for 360 I guess)
- Alternate outfits and those boring Swap Costumes. (Not completely boring though)
- DLC gems (already known that some of these will be better than the regular ones)
- Colour Packs (Don't really get why you can only use black and white here and why they need to distribute these via download packs when they're all on the disc)
- Quick Combo presets... ? (Purchase more shortcuts or something? http://www.hadoken.net/?p=4790)

That's should be all right? Hmm seems like I have to save up. :x

Pretty much. Capcom has made it pretty clear from the start that they are planning to go DLC crazy with this game. One small thing, I think the first color DLC pack is free, but chances are subsequent ones will cost money.

Ranked online is kind of retarded for beginners. I'm at 0BP cause I dont really know how to play. Try a few ranked games and get matched against 3 people all 500+bp. Same skill...yeahhh

Yeah, especially being in the UK and all for me. Just dropped it on my iPad. :3

I am trying to purchase the guide but it won't let me put my address (Canada), it only has USA as country option, did you just put a fake address or there is a bradygames site for international customers? it's just an e-guide after all

SoulFist

This game is amazing. A bit overwhelming at first, but once you get in the groove everything starts to make sense. I love how good it feels to smack peeps with Kazuya. Having a hard time picking someone to compliment him, but I'm liking Abel or King. Any suggestions?:)

Not digging Chun Li here. Really liking Julia. Any good partner for her in this game? Someone with good offensive potential?

Also... who's idea was it that the Hazanshou doesn't hit overhead? Everyone and their mom do overheads and she doesn't. Wtf

RIP lag Chun, lol XD

edit: but seriously, Chun is pretty damn good in this game

Degen

Tekken characters are so much cooler than the SF side right now. I'm tempted to drop Dhalsim just to try and make a Tekken team

GGs to everyone on psn tonight. Tag battle was fun, lol, tho we should rotate partners sometime. . . Roc was totally carrying the team XD
omg, how late do you guys show up?? >:eek:

Tizoc

Pretty much. Capcom has made it pretty clear from the start that they are planning to go DLC crazy with this game. One small thing, I think the first color DLC pack is free, but chances are subsequent ones will cost money.

I wouldn't be surprisd if that is the case, that's what they did with MvC3's Shadow Battles (and no offense but I lol at anyone who actually bought them).
I do hope they'll be free though

any Kazuya players can give me some advice? when switch back to Kaz, what are some combos i can pull off while their falling after the Launcher? so far all i can really do is Cr.MP - QCF.HP, or Cr.MP - Cr.HP

Guesong

Can someone holla me in PSN Chat Room for this game? This ain't Soul Calibur 5, I won't be salty this time. :3

Though my mind is still having a hard time classifying this game...at first I thought it was a perfect blend of MVC and SF, now...it's leaning more on SF than MVC territory. I keep trying to do ABCS to launch, I keep trying to cancel normal into specials...nope!

Not that it's a bad thing. Just mindfucked atm.

zlatko

Banned
any Kazuya players can give me some advice? when switch back to Kaz, what are some combos i can pull off while their falling after the Launcher? so far all i can really do is Cr.MP - QCF.HP, or Cr.MP - Cr.HP

If you have meter, or corner go.

Cr Hp, QCB LP (if you have meter LP/MP variant), if you're mid screen you can do his mist step into the foot variant to follow up I believe. If they are in the corner you can do another Cr. Hp QCB LP or LP/MP variant for ex, and finish with a final crouching HP into QCF LP. Mess around with it.

QUESTION FOR BEST BUY CONSUMERS:

Okay so I got my pre order DLC Gem pack in my email today, BUT it was the lightning legs pack. I thought if you pre order the collectors edition you get the Cross Assault gem pack or something along those lines. Should I email or call them to get the right pack or am I in the wrong here?

kodecraft

Finally getting into this game, but the online still feels different in a way I don't "get", yet. I can handle input latency fine and this feels like GGPO back in the day so that + my guy looks like SF = timing errors all over the place.

That being said, I don't think I like 1vs1 now that I've done 2vs2 or 2vs1.

Really, part of me wants to say screw 1vs1 forever.

Agreed, I am finding myself playing strictly with an online partner 1vs1 doesn't appeal to me after playing 2vs2 or 2vs1.

jmdajr

Yeah I'm not that fucking good to go 1 on 1. This way at least I have a chance that it's not ALL my fault for losing!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Agreed, I am finding myself playing strictly with an online partner 1vs1 doesn't appeal to me after playing 2vs2 or 2vs1.

Teamwork is always more fun than solo. That's why I'm so much more interested in 2v2.

Top Bottom