• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

So a move has 6 frame start up, 3 active frames and 12 recovery frames, does this mean that the total amount of frames this move uses is 21 frames? Or is it 6+12=18, or is it 6+12-3=15?

I so confuse

21 total frames.

6 of vulnerable start up,

3 of actual hit detection,

12 of wind down from the move.

GeekyDad

Only rented the game, so I don't have a manual. Trying to figure out why I'm hearing the same music on different stages. Is there a way to change that, or did Capcom skimp on the background music?

GorillaJu

Okay my theory for practicing links with music beats is working out really well.

I'm getting Lili's M, M link down easily using this method.

And for some reason, Guile doesn't have to time it and can mash it out.
i heard that its bugged and you don't even have to press forward, which i guess is good since you can keep your charge.

I wonder why tutorial didn't mention that and switch during combo because it would help me better but thanks!
i'm pretty sure i remember the tutorial covering both of these.

odd_morsel said:
Someone needs to make software to help you practice links. Basically a metronome that you can enter in the frame data and it clicks on the timing to make the rhythm for you.

I wish I could do it myself.
hmmm... thats an interesting idea, and would be pretty easy to program as well (at least i think it would).

odd_morsel said:
So a move has 6 frame start up, 3 active frames and 12 recovery frames, does this mean that the total amount of frames this move uses is 21 frames? Or is it 6+12=18, or is it 6+12-3=15?

I so confuse
pretty sure its 21. but i think its important to know that the active frames start from the beginning of frame 6 (counting from 0). 0-6, 6-9, 9-21.

GorillaJu

Well this is what I did and its working super well:

Started the metronome at an arbitrary bpm, and hit the button to that rhythm. Then I just decreased or increased the speed of the metronome until I was getting like a 90% success rate. Doesn't require frame counting but it's not going to be "precise."

Still, I turned off the metronome but the beat is still in my head and I'm getting 8/10 or so success rate with Lili's MP MP link, which appears to be right about 245bpm (doubled to help, actual BPM for the button presses would be half that).

I'm going to just do this for every link I have trouble with and learn them this way. It seems to work wonders for me.

Westlo

*watches Mago and Tokido play online w/ Ayano next to them*

No wonder Ayano doesn't think the sound issue is "bad" lol, he needs to see how the rest of the world are hearing it. Seems a few SFX drops every now and than but the music hasn't dropped out period in that match.

IpKaiFung

this should help a little!
character_demo.gif

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
if a move leaves you +6 on block and the startup is 6 frames... isn't that a 1-frame link?
Yup.
this strikes me as odd, because there are such things as 0 startup. so how would we subtract in such a situation?
The notation isn't entirely consistent across all fighting games. I think for SF3 startup does not include the first active frame(not sure), but for SF4, SFxT, and many 3D fighters it does. So when people say "zero frame" they mean a situation that would be described as 1f in SF4 terms.

I am becoming the master of cheating at trials using the select button.

Can you elaborate on that? You mean you press select to see the command list? Because I don't think that is cheating, or is there any way to pass those challenges in a more easier and less inducing rage way that involves the select button?

I completed all of Jin's trials after several days of practice, then I decided to go for someone "easier" and went to Steve's trials, I was breazing trough his challenges untill I hit Steve's 16th challenge and now I am frustrated again with the way impossible links seem to work, I remember Tekken games use to have an option to colorize your character and to turn green the moment that the next input could me made, that option was invaluable to me since it helped me to get the timing right of links and just frame moves.

I am considring the metronome option that odd_morsel implemented, anyway, some advice on Steve's 16th trial would be appreciated, I even browsed some videos on youtube and people on the comments seem to agree that his 16th is his hardest one.

I completed all of Jin's trials after several days of practice, then I decided to go for someone "easier" and went to Steve's trials
haven't done steve's yet but hugo's is extremely easy. guile's isn't too bad either. marduk and king both seemed relatively easy as well. word of advice though: avoid vega (claw) at all costs lol.

RS4-

The quick combo editor is pretty close to a tool assisted one people use.

You could use it in trials...but since there is no unlimited meter option, any trial that involves more than 3 bars won't work since the quick combo already uses one lol.

Sblargh

Banned
Can you elaborate on that? You mean you press select to see the command list? Because I don't think that is cheating, or is there any way to pass those challenges in a more easier and less inducing rage way that involves the select button?

I completed all of Jin's trials after several days of practice, then I decided to go for someone "easier" and went to Steve's trials, I was breazing trough his challenges untill I hit Steve's 16th challenge and now I am frustrated again with the way impossible links seem to work, I remember Tekken games use to have an option to colorize your character and to turn green the moment that the next input could me made, that option was invaluable to me since it helped me to get the timing right of links and just frame moves.

I am considring the metronome option that odd_morsel implemented, anyway, some advice on Steve's 16th trial would be appreciated, I even browsed some videos on youtube and people on the comments seem to agree that his 16th is his hardest one.

You can press select mid-combo to have a breathing room, basically. So everything that has a wall bounce or a link where you have to wait a bit for it, you can think "I'll do the first part (until wall bounce)", press select to pause, reposicion fingers and directional and practice the chains, then "now to part 2", press select and do the combo again.
I did Heihachi's and Kuma's last trial like this. I think that helps with anything involving a wall bounce (tho Abel I did legit)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
0 start will show up as 0+1 on frame data.
Actually it would be "0+暗転1", denoting where the super freeze is and still equating to a gametime startup of 1f, but english frame data omitting such things is pretty common.

For example, Chun-Li's Hosenka in SF4 is listed as "0+暗転7" while her mk super is "1+暗転0" in the AE mook.

Finally got a chance to try this online and you guys weren't kidding, the sounds issues are terrible. Everyone match I played had major hiccups. Sucks.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Got a region 1 copy of the game but oddly enough the whole package (Except the disc) is in spanish.

Im at my parents house so i cant play it until tomorrow >__<

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I've played a near 2 hour session with people using Rolento on every single one of their teams. Most annoying character by far right now. His pokes are so good and his movement is very hard to predict at this stage.

I have to stop the habit of fadcing since I do that in Æ after numerous setups and attacks. Plus a ton of combos and setups do not work here. It's very difficult since SFIV is pretty much the only game I've been playing consistently in the last 2 years or so.

Finally have my stream back to normal with little changes here and there. Going to start a lobby later in the day.

Threi

notag
Oh wow never noticed how effective cross assault is for restoring a char's health (at a little punishment of the second char)

also...the auto tech gem should not exist in this game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Oh wow never noticed how effective cross assault is for restoring a char's health (at a little punishment of the second char)

Assist gems are their own category and there should be a filter to avoid match-ups with people using them. Same as the touch shortcuts in SSF43D.

-PXG-

But doesn't it use one bar though for each tech?

Do you know how the Japanese feel about this game. Will it receive there full attention unlike MVC3? I'm sure it won't overtake SF4 over there, but I want to see the Japanese take this game very seriously and give the US a run for there money at EVO.

Did this game get an arcade release?

Westlo

Nope, which is why it won't overtake SF4 IMO. But as long as all the top players get on board and play it a lot online, the Japanese scene should be pretty strong for this game.

I don't expect that SFV will get an arcade release (no release for SFxTk and even more telling most likely TxSF combined with arcades popularity dying off and the increased costs of a next gen game...), are people still going to be saying this line? Even though Tekken and Gundam games are much stronger (Bandai Namco run that shit) in arcades than SFIV ever was? Super had a big online scene and they even had an NSB tournament for it... don't be surprised if GodsGarden runs a SFxTK event either... and Capcom would probably host a national tournament for it too, not to mention this will more than likely be @ SBO this year.

Nope, which is why it won't overtake SF4 IMO. But as long as all the top players get on board and play it a lot online, the Japanese scene should be pretty strong for this game.

Yea, I agree. If there's no arcade release, I can't really see this overtaking 4 either.

I strongly feel that SFV won't get an arcade release, are people still going to be saying this line? Even though Tekken and Gundam games are much stronger in arcades than SFIV ever was?

Why wouldn't 5 get an arcade release?

This one not having a release doesn't seem like a sign to me. Certainly it'd be nice if all fighters could get an arcade release, but like you said, with the dying popularity I don't expect it for tangentially related series like this and Marvel. Now, if the new Darkstalkers doesn't get an arcade release, that would be a bad sign to me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Damn the people playing this game online are pretty hardcore.

Played 28 live matches with 40% win rate, encountering people who would just land 10 hit combo after 10 hit combo on me. My longest combo was 6 hits.

I think I'll back out so SP and training until I learn to play the game.

I wonder what the Japanese players think of the DLC on disc?

Have you ever wondered why we get disc updates in the first place usually alongside DLC? From what I've heard the Japanese are sticklers for having something physical when it comes to these things. Which comes off a bit weird seeing as they have an infrastructure to handle DLC while the rest of the world is lagging behind.

Westlo

Why wouldn't 5 get an arcade release?

Why would 5 get an arcade release?

We're talking about a next gen game which means even higher budgets than now, said game is probably 3 years away at the earliest and the arcade scene in Japan isn't that healthy... we're talking about a market that is dominated by Bandai Namco (Tekken, Gundam), SFIV as it was is to expensive for most arcades compared to the slew of animu fighters. TRF which was a source of ranbats for Vanilla SFIV never upgraded to AE because it wasn't worth the cost to do so for them. Not to mention that the SFIV sales of 3.1 million was like 300k japan vs 2.9 million the rest of the world.. no wonder Super was straight to disc...

Ono has already talked about future SF titles going even further than SFxTK in terms of customization. (For all the shit this game got, gonna be hilarious when it's suddenly Super Turbo status compared to the crap they come up with in SFV) Honestly I expect Darkstalkers 4 and than Street Figther V to be straight to console, too much money is left on the table and they can milk DLC just like this game... or perhaps even worse...

Street Fighter X Tekken went straight to console.
Darkstalkers if real is also definitely going straight to console.
Tekken X Street Fighter is most likely doing the same next gen. (Harada's words) which means the next arcade Tekken game could be 3-4 years off....

That's telling.... unlike MVC3 which was never really that popular a series in Japan in the first place...

man, it's such a cock tease that we must wait months for these!

i want to play Dudley and Elena!

Why would 5 get an arcade release?

Not to mention that the SFIV sales of 3.1 million was like 300k japan vs 2.9 million the rest of the world.. no wonder Super was straight to disc...

From what I've read, the game is successful in Japanese arcades (obviously not as much as say Tekken, Gundam or Virtua Fighter), but I'm sure Capcom is getting a return with the costumes and cost of play. If there wasn't a market for it, they wouldn't have released AE in arcades.

And Japan is a weird market. Handhelds and arcades dominate the scene, which is why fighting game releases do crap on consoles over there. Most of the "fans" play in arcades.

V is going to be a release in arcades just like Tekken Tag 2, Tekken Tag 2 Ultimate whatever, VF 5 Final whatever, KOF XIII, Blazblue we're counting to infinity, etc.

I'm surprised this didn't come out for arcades over there.

Which is why the PC version is more head scratching. If they had developed the arcade version using the Taito PC system, then we could've gotten a PC release sooner.

The Japanese scene for this is going to be small, just like Marvel. Not to say we won't see NSBs or GG, but the Japanese community as a whole probably will stick with AE, TT2...

SBO with Soul Calibur 5 will probably be the first test of console relevance in Japan.

Damn the people playing this game online are pretty hardcore.

Played 28 live matches with 40% win rate, encountering people who would just land 10 hit combo after 10 hit combo on me. My longest combo was 6 hits.

I think I'll back out so SP and training until I learn to play the game.

Must depend on the folks that you run into. I'm terrible and I've even won a few matches and been competitive in most of them. I've really only run into one or two who just pasted me. It's pretty much why I still day 1 Capcom fighters, I need to get in on those early days to get my wins in before folks start putting in the training room time to just paste me and before all the casuals drop out.

I'll tell you I'm really loving Vega so far. With a speed gem on he's a footsie monster and you can get some big damage off of Cosmic Heel, which gives you a massive effective punish range.

brian

Someone needs to make software to help you practice links. Basically a metronome that you can enter in the frame data and it clicks on the timing to make the rhythm for you.

I wish I could do it myself.

That's a cool idea. I'm kind of looking for a programming project and I might just give this a shot.

Top Bottom