• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

SamVimes

FlashMetroid has said that so far it seems like the best fighting game currently made. Better than GG, better than CVS, the best.

And FlashMetroid was shitting on cross assault saying that it was terrible and all the contestants suck, so i'm pretty sure he's sincere.

Also if this game was just chains i wouldn't even touch it.

kodecraft

For me, my growing hype comes from a multitude of factors:

- It's got a lot of what I liked in SFIV (animation, basic 2.5d stuff), but averages out a lot of what I've learned to dislike (over-reliance of links, semi-ToD's due to dizzy).

- Tekken characters and systems allow a lot of what I like in other fighters (More robust throw-style moves, more interesting, natural juggles, more robust in-fighting with more creative normals, etc)

- Gems. For me, they're basically the ability to make the changes to my characters that Capcom has been making with SFIV's iterations. "Look, lets add HP! No, lets take it away! Make movement 20% faster! Make this super do more damage after certain situations!" I won't have to wait a year for something I feel should have been on my character from the start to be there, I can just add it myself.

All in all, I can see this being the Capcom fighter I like most the gen. Marvel made a lot of stupid decisions that I don't really like in the end, and I was tired of a lot of SFIV's stuff a year or so back, at least.

All these things don't make me 100% sold, but I'm looking forward to this a lot more than in the beginning, where my initial feel was just "can we get this out of the way so we can get to a new CvS?!" So far, I hope the Tekken character (like many here have stated) are a window to the future of SF, rather than just a 1-off for this game. I love the ideas they've brought so far, and I think this looks like the grass roots of the evolution the SF brand has needed overall.

Tizoc: Oh, and thanks for the shoutout! *broFistbump*

This.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Agreed with SAB CA. I had the 'lol this is going to be a mess' mindset until Cross Assault.
Gems arent as gimmicky as i thought too.

So yeah will buy.

d0c_zaius

haha the localization team did a good job with this one.

Dan (in tutorial mode talking about boost combos): "It's easy to do and feels good, man."

Shito

I don't see why you think the isn't a reliance on links? Pretty much any good combo is going to be from a link. Chain combos are unsafe, and will usually only lead to a launcher or EX move. Watching the stream pretty much confirmed it for me. I think people who think links aren't going to be important in this game are setting themselves up for disappointment.
It does seem to rely quite a bit on links, but those are said to be much easier to execute than in SF4, which is a very good thing in my opinion.
So, let's just say it doesn't rely too much on *tight* links.

rCIZZLE

So...the wait is killing me...someone hook me up with an early copy in richmond VA!

Do you have a 7/11 nearby that carries games like this? I remember the one by me selling Gears 2 and CoD MW2 a week ahead of time.

Or if you know someone who works at a walmart-type place you can see if they'll use the five finger discount to hook you up. ;D

Has there been any info on the online ranking system yet? Or is this the last info we are waiting for?

I wonder if it will be win/loss like Marvel, or a points system per character or team. Anyone know?

Has there been any info on the online ranking system yet? Or is this the last info we are waiting for?

I wonder if it will be win/loss like Marvel, or a points system per character or team. Anyone know?

there was a video that did demonstrate how ranks work. i think it's similar to sf4 rank system.

Skilletor

It does seem to rely quite a bit on links, but those are said to be much easier to execute than in SF4, which is a very good thing in my opinion.
So, let's just say it doesn't rely too much on *tight* links.

We'll see. I love links and think people blow the difficulty of them out of proportion. I think anybody expecting to do well in this game without links is in for a surprise.

B00TE

Yeah, that's what I wanna hear from anyone who gets it early: Online features!

Will be picking up my copy at a midnight release, play it until I need to leave, then let the hype carry me through the rest of my day until I can play again.

Sblargh

Banned
We'll see. I love links and think people blow the difficulty of them out of proportion. I think anybody expecting to do well in this game without links is in for a surprise.

I don't love links, but I agree they are not that insane barrier of entry people sometimes make them to be. You don't need to be a master of linking in general, just practice your characters BnBs on the training room; you'll soon be doing it by muscle memory.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't see why you think the isn't a reliance on links? Pretty much any good combo is going to be from a link. Chain combos are unsafe, and will usually only lead to a launcher or EX move. Watching the stream pretty much confirmed it for me. I think people who think links aren't going to be important in this game are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'm saying it's not as reliant to the overall game. (And even if it turns out to be, most seem to agree they're easier) Almost any normal / simple hit confirm can turn into a chain, which then turns into a launcher-tag, which turns into more... Also, with the ability to, say, turn any raw hit into a launching special, that you can then combo out of.

Chain comboing into Sweeps will also allow more safe jump / crossup setups, and jumping in general seems better in this game, with the weaker (but still very viable) anti-airs.

There's just *more* to do with your hits and footsies and such in this game. Rather than just "link / (EX) special / super" off a hit, you can now Link, Chain into launcher, chain into sweep for mixups, EX out of chain, Normal or EX special for ender or maybe even continuation, Team Super, etc.

It's like everyone got a buff to get Ryu's "swiss army knife of options" off hits, now. It just feel freeing, and less like "well, you don't have good damage conversion off jabs, so you're crappy!" or something like that.

I also like the fact tekken characters can link some of their tekken-style combos together, too. Just looks like a nice, open, more varied system.

Agreed with SAB CA. I had the 'lol this is going to be a mess' mindset until Cross Assault.
Gems arent as gimmicky as i thought too.

So yeah will buy.

*highfive* Who are you thinking of playing in this game, BTW?

I don't love links, but I agree they are not that insane barrier of entry people sometimes make them to be. You don't need to be a master of linking in general, just practice your characters BnBs on the training room; you'll soon be doing it by muscle memory.

My dislike of links comes from the fact that, coupled with SFIV's "braindead reversal" mashing, it just didn't work out in ways I liked. The options available in this game will make these screw-ups from stuff feel more like my fault, rather than a system I just don't like / agree with (well, hopefully).

Sblargh

Banned
I'm having Cross Assault withdrawals, nothing to listen to at work

Damn! This! I was so proud and elitist of being someone free from television and now I need some game-related stuff to watch at all times.
KuGsj.gif

Thank Poison (my one true goddess) there is WNF today.

ShinAmano

Do you have a 7/11 nearby that carries games like this? I remember the one by me selling Gears 2 and CoD MW2 a week ahead of time.

Or if you know someone who works at a walmart-type place you can see if they'll use the five finger discount to hook you up. ;D

Many a time I tried the 7-11 route...many a time I have failed.

Anyone get this URLEY yet? Someone on mah live Playlist is playing.

Someone else on my facebook posted some videos hes taken of the game, ( they are playing the full version at a gamestore apparently )

I hear some folks in Detroit broke street date. No word from my usual sources in LA.

When Mahvel dropped a contact on GAF mentioned a Sony Store sold umvc3 early in culver city, I checked it out and got the game like 3 days early.

mr_boo

- Gems. For me, they're basically the ability to make the changes to my characters that Capcom has been making with SFIV's iterations. "Look, lets add HP! No, lets take it away! Make movement 20% faster! Make this super do more damage after certain situations!" I won't have to wait a year for something I feel should have been on my character from the start to be there, I can just add it myself.
Agreed. It's an interesting big step for serious fighters to do this and I can appreciate that, even though I may not be totally stoked with how it's done. One of my personal gripes has always been character tiers, but that was just the nature of the game cause most of the time, characters were static and balance updates didn't happen. Anyways, it'll be interesting to see how Gems impact trends, if at all.

Arozay

I don't mind gems, but I'm an online scrub. It's going to be annoying to watch in tournaments, at least we have button config on select now.

I'll be grabbing the PS3 version and the PC one. Hopefully they don't go with GFWL again...

PSN: Arozay

d0c_zaius

some people started geting PAL copies! getting it urleh tomorrow would be great timing with the release party. MAKE IT HAPPEN UNIVERSE!

Also I'm making a Juri/poison team. Should be a good change from my grappler team (marduk and king/abel).

alba

Little is the new Big
You got me again Capcom. I was thinking of waiting for the PC version but ended up pre-ordering on PS3. I'll most likely double dip once it hits steam and I got fooled once again... grrr. Well done, well done.

Law/Hugo
Gief/Hwoarang

Here we go <3

EDIT: As always, we europeans get fucked on the release date too ;O

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Odds are the K-Mart nearby has put these out already, but I shall resist; I've had the CE pre-ordered from Amazon for two months. Full disclosure: used $30 in Amazon credit towards it, lol defeating the Gem Tax.

Kamek

When did VGNY say they'd have it in by? I don't know whether to get it early, or pre-order for gem packs and things like that. :(

Top Bottom