• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Shito

I can honestly say that throughout the entire week that I've watched Cross Assault. I learned absolutely nothing about the game. Ok, not entirely true but point being that my knowledge of the game is pretty lacking despite watching so often. With that said I'm excited to get my hands on the game and breaking it down the best I can.
Something I've learnt just yesterday, that is probably very well known but you never know, maybe it'll be new to some of you guys as well: any hit after a super charge cancel is guaranteed to be a counter-hit.
This seems pretty huge to me, don't know how I could have missed that...

Something I've learnt just yesterday, that is probably very well known but you never know, maybe it'll be new to some of you guys as well: any hit after a super charge cancel is guaranteed to be a counter-hit.
This seems pretty huge to me, don't know how I could have missed that...

Technically, your next attack will be counter hit.

I.E. if you whiff your next attack or it is blocked, then you lose the counter hit property.

"An alpha counter is an attack during blockstun. It costs 1 meter and is used to get people the fuck off you holmes. It's called an alpha counter since the attack was introduced in Alpha 1."

It was first introduced in Darkstalkers, technically, where it was called Guard Cancel (it's actually called that in SFxT isn't it?) but Street Fighter Alpha was obviously much more popular with the western competitive scene so the term Alpha Counter stuck over GC.

That's just nitpicking about the term, though.

I don't remember it like that, alpha counter in SFA was the first time I saw that mechanic. I played enough Darkstalkers that I should remember it having an alpha counter though...

Shito

Technically, your next attack will be counter hit.

I.E. if you whiff your next attack or it is blocked, then you lose the counter hit property.
Hmmm, could have sworn I had seen someone whiff an attack and still get a counter hit on its next one, but you're probably right, would be way overpowered if that were the case.
Still, this is some pretty interesting and uncommon mechanic there.

"I don't remember it like that, alpha counter in SFA was the first time I saw that mechanic. I played enough Darkstalkers that I should remember it having an alpha counter though..."

Darkstalkers 1 came out before SFA and the first absolutely did have it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Both, lol. Not trolling (or not trying to, anyway), and I have the game paid for. I'm just feeling less excited for this than I have a fighter in a long time. I love fighting games, but this just feels meh to me. Probably doesn't help that every time I watched the stream I saw the same characters.

For me, my growing hype comes from a multitude of factors:

- It's got a lot of what I liked in SFIV (animation, basic 2.5d stuff), but averages out a lot of what I've learned to dislike (over-reliance of links, semi-ToD's due to dizzy).

- Tekken characters and systems allow a lot of what I like in other fighters (More robust throw-style moves, more interesting, natural juggles, more robust in-fighting with more creative normals, etc)

- The solidarity of fused systems. As much as I enjoy CvS, I don't feel like I can take my SNK experience / style into the game. Where's my command normals? Comboing into command throws? CD Blowback and hitstun on hops? Multi-use for supers depending on buttons pressed? Compared to this game has tekken style bounds, has tekken combos assigned to tekken-like command strings, and has brought in tekken-style oki-game. Plus a good amount of tekken-tag style elements.

- KoF has proven to me that I like games based around systems moreso than character-specific stuff. I love original characters, but I think system-based balance gives a larger breadth of character selection.

- Gems. For me, they're basically the ability to make the changes to my characters that Capcom has been making with SFIV's iterations. "Look, lets add HP! No, lets take it away! Make movement 20% faster! Make this super do more damage after certain situations!" I won't have to wait a year for something I feel should have been on my character from the start to be there, I can just add it myself.

All in all, I can see this being the Capcom fighter I like most the gen. Marvel made a lot of stupid decisions that I don't really like in the end, and I was tired of a lot of SFIV's stuff a year or so back, at least.

All these things don't make me 100% sold, but I'm looking forward to this a lot more than in the beginning, where my initial feel was just "can we get this out of the way so we can get to a new CvS?!" So far, I hope the Tekken character (like many here have stated) are a window to the future of SF, rather than just a 1-off for this game. I love the ideas they've brought so far, and I think this looks like the grass roots of the evolution the SF brand has needed overall.

Tizoc: Oh, and thanks for the shoutout! *broFistbump*

kodecraft

"I don't remember it like that, alpha counter in SFA was the first time I saw that mechanic. I played enough Darkstalkers that I should remember it having an alpha counter though..."

Darkstalkers 1 came out before SFA and the first absolutely did have it.

I agree, SFA was the first time I had ever heard of any type of counter mechanic.

Guard cancels are different in the vampire series. You do the move (whatever it was, mostly likely their DP get off me move) when you are in block stun.

In alpha 1/2, you do the universal fireball motion while block stun to get the alpha counter. Plus it takes meter. In vampire, it doesn't take meter (though you can do EX GCs if I recall).

Maybe that is the confusion?

"Guard cancels are different in the vampire series. You do the move (whatever it was, mostly likely their DP get off me move) when you are in block stun.

In alpha 1/2, you do the universal fireball motion while block stun to get the alpha counter. Plus it takes meter. In vampire, it doesn't take meter (though you can do EX GCs if I recall).

Maybe that is the confusion?"

There are those differences in execution, but they are an identical concept.

TreIII

Oh, this game DOES have Alpha Counters? Now, I'm interested! Are there Punch and Kick variants like in Alpha 2, or is just one?

Loved Alpha 2. It's probably the game that really made me get into fighting games.

Oh, this game DOES have Alpha Counters? Now, I'm interested! Are there Punch and Kick variants like in Alpha 2, or is just one?

Loved Alpha 2. It's probably the game that really made me get into fighting games.

Just one, you do a set special out of it. Can't combo after unless you spend another meter to tag cancel.

"Guard cancels are different in the vampire series. You do the move (whatever it was, mostly likely their DP get off me move) when you are in block stun.

Maybe that is the confusion?"

There are those differences in execution, but they are an identical concept.

I know. Just some people in the thread are saying they don't remember them from the series.

Maybe that is why. I think alpha counters were easier to do in alpha than vampire, so maybe that is why people don't remember seeing them, especially if they didn't watch tourny vids or anything.

Also, I just played all 3 darkstalkers on PSP. Man, I love that series, haha.

Was kinda hoping there would be Alpha Counters like in MVC3, where your partner comes in. Would be a great way to save your bacon or interrupt your opponent and your team mate gets to style.

"Was kinda hoping there would be Alpha Counters like in MVC3, where your partner comes in. Would be a great way to save your bacon or interrupt your opponent and your team mate gets to style."

Edit: Whoops, misread what you meant.

It sounds like you can switch cancel the alpha counters in SFxT, so that might be possible. Expensive, though.

Tizoc

I think you guys might want to hold off on using the Cross Counter in this game.
I mean BlazBlue had a guard cancel attack but that was rarely used because you'd want to spend your meter on combos or for canceling moves if they get blocked etc.
For now, try to figure out useful combos with your meter.

...my 5 cents ^_^;

LakeEarth

Was kinda hoping there would be Alpha Counters like in MVC3, where your partner comes in. Would be a great way to save your bacon or interrupt your opponent and your team mate gets to style.

I think you can alpha counter and immediately tag in your character and continue the combo. Expensive, but useful to have in your bag of tricks.

You mean like

VEG2.jpg

lol Pretty much.

"I mean BlazBlue had a guard cancel attack but that was rarely used because you'd want to spend your meter on combos or for canceling moves if they get blocked etc."

It's a bit more expensive in Blazblue and meter doesn't build *quite* as fast in BlazBlue as it seems to in SFxT. Blazblue also has barrier and instant block to help give you openings.

Canceling moves if they get blocked doesn't seem like the best strategy in this game, unless it's a move with a large amount of blockstun for your opponent to be locked in while your partner comes in, which seems more like a setup than just an "oh shit, I got blocked" deal. It's already been shown that DP xx Switch isn't very safe at all.

ShinAmano

So...having some people over Friday night (after release) to play this. I am getting the CE...so ill get the little coin bank thing. Idea is to have the 4 of us bring a roll of quarters to play and at the end of the night a quick tournament...winner takes the arcade machine full of quarters ;)

d0c_zaius

anyone going to the release event tomorrow in LA? I just got a vip ticket! (/stealthbragpost)

I'll be wearing a Last of Us shirt. Feel free to come by and say wassup!

zlatko

Banned
So...having some people over Friday night (after release) to play this. I am getting the CE...so ill get the little coin bank thing. Idea is to have the 4 of us bring a roll of quarters to play and at the end of the night a quick tournament...winner takes the arcade machine full of quarters ;)

I'm giving mine to one of my little nieces if it's tacky looking so she can put her money in it. :p

Hmmm, could have sworn I had seen someone whiff an attack and still get a counter hit on its next one, but you're probably right, would be way overpowered if that were the case.
Still, this is some pretty interesting and uncommon mechanic there.

I like it because it allows us to more easily land counter-hit combos.

I've never really been quick enough with reflexes to do counter-hit combos, but with this, I can go in and do the counter hit combo, but be able to hit confirm it at the same time. There has been an emphasis on different properties on counter-hits, so i think it's a great way to facilitate more counter-hit combos

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

Old builds used to let you tag out while laying on the ground, so I'm kinda suprised they don't have this as well. But personally, I like the fact that you have to take a risk (by landing a launcher combo) to safe tag-in, really. I also like the amount of invincibility the "escaper" has when taging in the next character.

Snapbacks and Switch-counters coulda been interesting, but the way it is now really makes you focus more on the one you have out, and makes escapes more strategic. Glad, as I really hated watching all those "chain into uppercut" combos back in the early play, but it looks vital and significant now.

I think somebody said on the stream, some moves change frame properties when they are in a chain?

So low forward is safe on block normally, if you do low short, low forward, and then stop, does it become unsafe, or less safe?

LowParry

We can all agree the alpha counter makes the autoblock gem pretty f'in useless.

Pretty much. The gem sounds like it's just for those who are new to the game. Once they learn the game well, swap that gem out for something else.

I think I may start out with one power and two defense gems. Eventually work into getting a meter build gem and so forth. Man, I need this game now. Now!

I'm surprised we haven't heard or seen anything about any Day 1 DLC yet.

"I think somebody said on the stream, some moves change frame properties when they are in a chain?

So low forward is safe on block normally, if you do low short, low forward, and then stop, does it become unsafe, or less safe?"

I don't think anyone has the frame data yet to say for sure, but chained normals definitely looked noticeably slower to recover than otherwise. How safe or unsafe depends on the move, of course. A lot of chained fierces were straight up combo punishable.

Sblargh

Banned
Pretty much. The gem sounds like it's just for those who are new to the game. Once they learn the game well, swap that gem out for something else.

I think I may start out with one power and two defense gems. Eventually work into getting a meter build gem and so forth. Man, I need this game now. Now!

I'm surprised we haven't heard or seen anything about any Day 1 DLC yet.

Auto-tech gem seems legit, tho. Half a bar to keep clear of something that happens only once and in a while doesn't seem too taxing. Also, if the opponent try to abuse it, you can start to n.jump and punish whiffed throws.

SamVimes

Does anyone know how the scaling works with power gems?
In this game it should go like in SF IV: first two hits in a combo do 100%, third does 80% etc.. If you have a +10% damage gem active does it give you a flat bonus calculated on the base damage (110+110+90) or it takes into account scaling (110+110+89)?

I like this config:

Point
Cross gauge usage reduction +20% - Block 10 attacks - 15 seconds
Cross gauge acquisition +20% - Have 4 attacks blocked - 20 seconds
Damage reduction +100 - Block 5 attacks - 20 seconds

Anchor
Cross Gauge Acquisition +40% - partner connects with a launcher - 15 seconds
Attack +20%, Defense +10% - Partner connects with 2 launchers - 20 seconds

TDLink

Sidenote: They confirmed on Cross Assault that you need to sign in to PSN and connect to the store in order to have Pacman and Megaman become available. Not sure if this means they are free DLC or the connection is simply needed for some sort of validation. Either way these two characters won't be available for you even if you have the PS3 version if you lack an internet connection.

Imm0rt4l

I wonder how sincere top players are when they say they're loving the game. Either way the game looked especially fun last night on crosscounter live.

rCIZZLE

I wonder how sincere top players are when they say they're loving the game. Either way the game looked especially fun last night on crosscounter live.

I have no doubt that they enjoy it but it's really up to the community to show the support any game needs to be a tournament staple. AE is getting really boring to watch so I wouldn't be surprised if SFxT gets a lot of attention for a while at least.

If you think it's just because they were on Cross Assault they were saying it over skype and on streams after the show was over. Marn and F Champ digging it kills me, those guys hate everything.

Lothars

Sidenote: They confirmed on Cross Assault that you need to sign in to PSN and connect to the store in order to have Pacman and Megaman become available. Not sure if this means they are free DLC or the connection is simply needed for some sort of validation. Either way these two characters won't be available for you even if you have the PS3 version if you lack an internet connection.
I would assume they are dlc than which would mean that we probably will see them on 360 eventually, which I don't think would surprise anyone.

FlashMetroid has said that so far it seems like the best fighting game currently made. Better than GG, better than CVS, the best.

Skilletor

For me, my growing hype comes from a multitude of factors:

- It's got a lot of what I liked in SFIV (animation, basic 2.5d stuff), but averages out a lot of what I've learned to dislike (over-reliance of links, semi-ToD's due to dizzy).

I don't see why you think the isn't a reliance on links? Pretty much any good combo is going to be from a link. Chain combos are unsafe, and will usually only lead to a launcher or EX move. Watching the stream pretty much confirmed it for me. I think people who think links aren't going to be important in this game are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Top Bottom