• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

I-hate-u

Infinite if you want to. Do the motion and once you are in the step animation just start mashing QCF motion and you'll keep on going.

What's the current word on Hworang? I feel he may be top tier. He's so damn good. ; ;

I like his limbs alot. He has almost all options to deal with some of the shenanigans in this game I feel. I am not sure but his medium kicks chain is a 50/50 mix-up as u can follow withan overhead apparently or a low.

Ferrio

Banned
The scaling is the same as SF4. Considering at least a few characters can already do 50% meterless or with 1 meter, less scaling would've made for a really terrible game.

Cross rush combos are not for damage, as chained normals actually do less damage than if you were to link them, so using them every time you land a hit is bad. The good damage combos come from links and switch cancels.

I did not say cross rush. I said cancels. My point is, I seem to be able to spend a single meter for a cancel tag in, and I can pretty much get the same damage from my character without tagging in.

"I did not say cross rush. I said cancels."

The crux of the post is that less scaling would be bad, universally.

"I did not say cross rush. I said cancels. My point is, I seem to be able to spend a single meter for a cancel tag in, and I can pretty much get the same damage from my character without tagging in."

That depends on the character/team composition. Rolento, for example, is pretty much capped at ~250 damage solo. Spending a bar to bring in Hugo can pump that up to 400, which is a significant increase.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
You know, I'm thinking they went too crazy on damage scaling. Or atleast damage scaling should be partially reset when cross cancelling. It seems solo character combos ended in a super have the same amount of damage, if not very close to a cross cancel.
I agree. I think you should gain an extra 10-20% damage on cross cancel. That would make some characters even more OP though. Ideally they could add this extra boost only to low tier characters in an eventual patch, or make balances like this with gems that are only equippable by certain characters, but they won't patch the game in a way that is sane whenever the patch comes out.

Tekno how come you never use the forum quote function?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Been playing him since day 1.

Same here.

Can you guys throw out a bit of your experiences with him? How has it been nailing the fierce flicker fierce? Easy to pressure with? I picked him up and while his damage potential is insane he seems to have barely anything safe to poke with (minus forward->mp->lp or lp>mp). Also can't help but compare his ducking to Dudley's and it's not as effective. Seeing Marn play him yesterday solidified what I thought, a great tag-in char but no good defense options.

You know, I'm thinking they went too crazy on damage scaling. Or atleast damage scaling should be partially reset when cross cancelling. It seems solo character combos ended in a super have the same amount of damage, if not very close to a cross cancel.

1 bar 400-500 damage combos seem about right. If there were any less scaling, this game would almost be as bad as marvel in terms of touch-of-death-ness

Lost to someone using Mike Ross' team.

They hit so damn hard

Out of 15 matches I had in endless, there was either a ken or ryu on each team as anchor lol

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
1 bar 400-500 damage combos seem about right. If there were any less scaling, this game would almost be as bad as marvel in terms of touch-of-death-ness
Cross cancels are kind of pointless for a lot of the cast/teams other than a safe(r) way to tag a dying character out.

LakeEarth

So i should be abusing Paul's standing jab? What's so great about it?

And what 1 EX combo should i be using with him? I've just been doing whatever into EX punch into d.mk regular rush punch thing.

AAK

What's the current word on Hworang? I feel he may be top tier. He's so damn good. ; ;

I've been using Hwoarang since day 1. I don't think he's that good. He has an advantage over other Tekken characters with the fact that he has a slightly more reliable antiair (sky rocket) but I'm gettin PUMELLED online because the range on his pokes are garbage and I can almost never punish a lot of unsafe things from people. Once I'm within range I can do some pretty good mixups and damage potential... but unless I'm in that strict range... I just have to take so many risks.

Sayah's Nina just rolled me up like 7 games straight followed by 1 win by me and then another 8 games non stop... (Although I admit I suck really bad at this game so far, so my opinion isn't necessary very reputable)

Sayah

I've been using Hwoarang since day 1. I don't think he's that good. He has an advantage over other Tekken characters with the fact that he has a slightly more reliable antiair (sky rocket) but I'm gettin PUMELLED online because the range on his pokes are garbage and I can almost never punish a lot of unsafe things from people. Once I'm within range I can do some pretty good mixups and damage potential... but unless I'm in that strict range... I just have to take so many risks.

Sayah's Nina just rolled me up like 7 games straight followed by 1 win by me and then another 8 games non stop... (Although I admit I suck really bad at this game so far, so my opinion isn't necessary very reputable)

You were kicking my ass in the earlier matches too. :p
Your Juri is quite amazing. But I think she could be paired with someone other than Hwoarang. Not sure who, though.

And I'm still quite horrible at this game compared to how I've seen others play.
Nina is definitely a very versatile character despite her low health. I'm just really missing her bad habit move and her beautiful bitch slap from Tekken. Those are her signature moves.....definitely should have been translated into this game. And only Yoshimitsu gets to have the evil mist. :(

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I don't know what it's like with other characters, but I don't think Ryu has a single non-super arts combo using more than 1 meter that's cost effective/should ever be used outside of instant kill.

njean777

The good thing about Hwoarang is his speed though. Once you get in, its impossible not to be able to do a punish of some sort. Not to mention most people dont expect his kicks to come so fast and furious.

AAK

You were kicking my ass in the earlier matches too. :p
Your Juri is quite amazing. But I think she could be paired with someone other than Hwoarang. Not sure who, though.

And I'm still quite horrible at this game compared to how I've seen others play.
Nina is definitely a very versatile character despite her low health. I'm just really missing her bad habit move and her beautiful bitch slap from Tekken. Those are her signature moves.....definitely should have been translated into this game. And only Yoshimitsu gets to have the evil mist. :(

On the topic of signature moves, I'm a lot sadder Nina never got her flapping butterfly from Tekken... it would have been really interesting to see how that would have panned out in this game. But still... nothing disappoints me more than the fact that there is no vampire knee for Raven!! Explain yourself Capcom!!!

Juri just has a beastly super... but I still haven't gotten her jump cancels from her normals like I saw other people do on the streams. I just chose Hwoarang since he was my secondary in Tekken after Armor King carrying that character loyalty... and I felt the only logical partner for Him would be Juri. I'm enjoying the synergy so far. But yeah, I guess I'll try Julia next (my tertiary character in Tekken)... but she does not look beginner friendly at all.

I don't know what it's like with other characters, but I don't think Ryu has a single non-super arts combo using more than 1 meter that's cost effective/should ever be used outside of instant kill.

With how damage scaling works in the game I'm pretty sure that's the case with all the characters in the game.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
With how damage scaling works in the game I'm pretty sure that's the case with all the characters in the game.

I don't think it's damage scaling alone, because there are plenty of SFIV combos that use lots of meter that are useful, I think it's more how juggling works combined with damage scaling.

So what are the up close Hwoarang mixups I need to learn/watch out for? He has that lk>mk>lk that goes low-high-mid, but what else? I played some GAF'er who kept spamming the shit and I kept losing cause I didn't know what was going on.

Sayah

On the topic of signature moves, I'm a lot sadder Nina never got her flapping butterfly from Tekken... it would have been really interesting to see how that would have panned out in this game. But still... nothing disappoints me more than the fact that there is no vampire knee for Raven!! Explain yourself Capcom!!!

Juri just has a beastly super... but I still haven't gotten her jump cancels from her normals like I saw other people do on the streams. I just chose Hwoarang since he was my secondary in Tekken after Armor King carrying that character loyalty... and I felt the only logical partner for Him would be Juri. I'm enjoying the synergy so far. But yeah, I guess I'll try Julia next (my tertiary character in Tekken)... but she does not look beginner friendly at all.

Flapping butterfly loop would have been interesting for this game. And yeah, I was practicing with Raven today and the lack of the vampire knee is upsetting. That's like not giving Nina her blonde bomb or Kazuya/Heihachi their EWGF.

Not sure about Julia but your Abel was really good in the one match you used him so maybe try him.
And I still don't have a definitive second character. I'm just switching between Ogre, Hwoarang, and Xiaoyu for now.

Sayah

For any beginners like myself having problem doing supers within combos, I would recommend changing medium punch (triangle) to light kick (X) and light kick to medium punch through the button configuration. Much better positioning for doing supers. Although, a new setup like this may feel awkward for some time until you get used to it.

KiNeSiS

Banned
This game is fucking great, Add me!

PSN- MikeCisThaILLest

so far I have played & like
Kazuya, Heichi, Kuma, Hwoarang, Steve on the Tekken Side.

&

Only Tried Ryu & Ken in Tutorial, & played as Poison, & Rolento both are very fun.

I've been using him and Steve since I got the game. He can dish a lot of damage and his Chainsaw kick (s.Mp, s.lp) catches so many people its crazy.

Also what I found out is that you can use his heavy air raid to move full screen very fast. I wish I knew it against the dhalsim I lost to the other day..

I've been using him and Steve since I got the game. He can dish a lot of damage and his Chainsaw kick (s.Mp, s.lp) catches so many people its crazy.

Also what I found out is that you can use his heavy air raid to move full screen very fast. I wish I knew it against the dhalsim I lost to the other day..

How is Steve?

Sigmaah

My final match for the night was against vVv CD jr and I beat him..

Holy Shit, I didn't think I was gonna beat him, and it was a very close game (not bragging whatsoever)

His tech with Juri/Akuma is insane.

I don't think it's damage scaling alone, because there are plenty of SFIV combos that use lots of meter that are useful, I think it's more how juggling works combined with damage scaling.

So what are the up close Hwoarang mixups I need to learn/watch out for? He has that lk>mk>lk that goes low-high-mid, but what else? I played some GAF'er who kept spamming the shit and I kept losing cause I didn't know what was going on.

that was me...

all you had to do was block high...HAHA, he doesn't really have much mix up potentials after that. He's pokes sucks and have no range.

I realize once people caught on with the hwaorang mix up he kinda suck..

our ryu vs ryu match is hilariously lame! cr.mk -> ex donkey kick over and over LOL.

XBL: spoon type R
west coast.

XxCGSxX

Can someone recommend me some beginner friendly fighters? I suck at this game and I'm tired of being a practice dummy for my friends :mad:

Tizoc

Will add those usernames later tonight guys ;3
...and robut I didn't recognize you without your samborero brah!

Can someone recommend me some beginner friendly fighters? I suck at this game and I'm tired of being a practice dummy for my friends :mad:

Well Ryu and Ken are pretty much beginner friendly. If you can pull off Zangief's Spinning Pile Driver (tip, just do a 270 motion, it'll still count) you can grab fools from a short distance away ;P

Really though, go into Trial mode and practice doing the various stuff the mode requests of you. Keep in mind that you can include whatever extra attacks to a Trial combo, so long as you do what that Trial combo requires.
For example, Ken's Trial 13 is something like this-
Crouching Light Punch-->Crouching Light Kick-->Hard Punch Shoryuken
You can also performe it as
Crouching Light Punch-->Crouching Light Kick-->EX Tornado Kick-->Hard Punch Shoryuken
This one might take some pratice to get the SRK to come out right, but it also gives you an idea of what you can do after his EX Tornado Kick.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
do everyones trials and use who you enjoy

straight up picking an easier character doesnt really pay off in the long run. At least that's the way I view it. But that's just cause I come from GG

Top Bottom