• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Chittagong

Gold Member
So here's my story on how the immensely steep learning curve of SFxT (and supposedly any modern Street Fighter) really dawned on me.

It happened while attempting Ryu challenge 13. It's a combo where you have to go from cr LP to Shoryuken in the end.

Since the end bit is the hardest I started to practice it. The Shoryuken just kept on being blocked after my LP. So I did some googling, and learned about the mechanic of cancelling. That during the very first frames after the hit you'll have to hit again or the enemy is able to block. So I tired this with two LPs. Pew, pow. Too slow. Pew, pew. Fast enough. So now I would have to attempt the same, just instead tapping the button, I have to squeeze and entire Shoryuken into the split second after the LP.

So this got me into understanding what people are talking about when they mention frames, that it's the window of attacking again. All this stuff is alien to me as a casual SF2 player from Super NES, then we just went by our reflexes and mashed special moves.

Eventually I was able to execute the cr LP to Shoryuken combo sporadically, not yet with great consistency. It's just too fast.

I shudder thinking how hard things will get after this, not to speak of about integrating this stuff to my gameplay somehow. I guess I have to start to understand more than memorize?

Ferrio

Banned
So here's my story on how the immensely steep learning curve of SFxT (and supposedly any modern Street Fighter) really dawned on me.

It happened while attempting Ryu challenge 13. It's a combo where you have to go from cr LP to Shoryuken in the end.

Since the end bit is the hardest I started to practice it. The Shoryuken just kept on being blocked after my LP. So I did some googling, and learned about the mechanic of cancelling. That during the very first frames after the hit you'll have to hit again or the enemy is able to block. So I tired this with two LPs. Pew, pow. Too slow. Pew, pew. Fast enough. So now I would have to attempt the same, just instead tapping the button, I have to squeeze and entire Shoryuken into the split second after the LP.

So this got me into understanding what people are talking about when they mention frames, that it's the window of attacking again.

Eventually I was able to execute the cr LP to Shoryuken combo sporadically, not yet with great consistency. It's just too fast.

I shudder thinking how hard things will get after this, not to speak of about integrating this stuff to my gameplay somehow. I guess I have to start to understand more than memorize?

You never knew about cancelling? This your first fighting game?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Feel like I'm getting a bit more comfortable with Poison now, but I'm not clicking with the tagging yet - don't know when to do it, don't know what to do once I've done it.

Can't settle on a partner either - have tried Bison, Ogre, Guile & Hugo & am terible with all of them.

It's ok, I find shotos besides sakura *who isnt really a shoto* hard to use myself. Now that's derp

Mileena

Banned
Naw using King to offset the derp. May have to toss him aside if he doesn't start doing something. Having two characters with low mobility isn't so hot.

I just dropped King for Julia. After a tag cancel knee loop I just get exposed so bad with him. No idea how he's supposed to play.

Chittagong

Gold Member
You never knew about cancelling? This your first fighting game?

First modern fighting game it seems - or at least first time I need to learn conceptually and technically how they work. I mean, I have played Tekken Tag Tournament and SFIV casually, just basic special moves and blocking, and common sense timing. It wasn't until I took SFxT online and had my ass handed to me big time that I noticed that I am really missing something theoretically. Hence the challenge mode training.

I really need to read the basics of modern fighting games somewhere to understand all this stuff.

Ferrio

Banned
First modern fighting game it seems - or at least first time I need to learn conceptually and technically how they work. I mean, I have played Tekken Tag Tournament and SFIV casually, just basic special moves and blocking, and common sense timing. It wasn't until I took SFxT online and had my ass handed to me big time that I noticed that I am really missing something theoretically. Hence the challenge mode training.

I really need to read the basics of modern fighting games somewhere to understand all this stuff.

It's not even modern.. cancelling was first used in the original SFII.

FSLink

Banned

I'd suggest picking up the Bradygames guide, it goes into a nice amount of depth of the stuff competitive players think about and has a nice glossary of terms too.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
It's not even modern.. cancelling was first used in the original SFII.
He's not talking about canceling.

So this got me into understanding what people are talking about when they mention frames, that it's the window of attacking again. All this stuff is alien to me as a casual SF2 player from Super NES, then we just went by our reflexes and mashed special moves.

To clarify:

There are cancels and links. A cancel is when you do a move, then input another move before the first move is done, and the 2nd move cancels the "recovery" animation of the first move, and just goes straight into the animation for the 2nd move.

A link is where you input the 2nd move right after the recovery animation of the first move finishes, so that none of the animation for the first move is excised.

To combo a cr.lp into a shoryuken, you need to do a link. Trying to cancel it by inputing the entire shoryuken command before the animation is over won't work.

You can however buffer the directional input. A buffer is where you do the directionals for a 2nd move during the first moves animation. So you can buffer the directionals with your stick or pad, but the timing of the actual button press (in this case a punch button because you're doing a shoryuken) will have to be directly after the recovery of the cr.lp.

Shouta

Man, this netcode is frustrating way more than I expected. I'm getting hit when I know I shouldn't can't get combos going properly, etc. Ugh. Feels like I have to play totally different online to compensate for it all. >=|

Venfayth

That's a cancel.

It's buffering in that scenario, because it's actually impossible to cancel lp into shoryuken. But changing the timing of the dp motion to be during the recovery frames and then hitting the punch button right as the recovery frames end will "link" the combo.

Venfayth

Maybe I am on crack, but I swore you couldn't do lp cancel into shoryu ;_;

Frame data says I am wrong though. ^^ Ah that's what it was, you have to link if it's a chain. Derp.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
lol, yeah it does dude. You can either cancel or link that combo. They both work.

I'm in training mode right now. Cr.lp does not cancel into srk. It didn't in SF4 and it doesn't here. I have to pause in order to get an SRK to come out or else it will never, ever come out. It's a link. Go try it.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm in training mode right now. Cr.lp does not cancel into srk. It didn't in SF4 and it doesn't here. I have to pause in order to get an SRK to come out or else it will never, ever come out. It's a link. Go try it.

Or I can scan this brady guide that says LP is cancelable. As well as years and years of playing SF to know it is. And yes it does in SF4 too. You're smoking crack.

Maybe I am on crack, but I swore you couldn't do lp cancel into shoryu ;_;

Frame data says I am wrong though. ^^ Ah that's what it was, you have to link if it's a chain. Derp.

And no you don't. You have to link the LPs, not necessarily the shoryuken. I guess you can if you feel like doing it the hard way.

c0rderr0y

Neo Member
Man, this netcode is frustrating way more than I expected. I'm getting hit when I know I shouldn't can't get combos going properly, etc. Ugh. Feels like I have to play totally different online to compensate for it all. >=|

I agree with you on that.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

You have to do the cancel pretty fast since lp is a pretty short attack that doesn't have a ton of frames, and thus, doesn't have a ton of cancelable frames. They both work. In that particular trial combo, linking it is probably easier though.

trying doing the following input: downfoward+lp, down, downfoward+lp/mp/hp.

also, screw infinites and screw the people who are happy that they exist in this game.

Venfayth

I dunno then, I remember there being something really wonky with lp -> shoryuken. My friend and I were trying the other night and we couldn't do it unless we linked it. Maybe we were just too slow.

Still on the fence on this game cause of the bunked online. For someone who will only play online is the game playable in its current state?

Yeah, it is for me and I primarily play online. I've done XBL and PSN now. Both are pretty playable. The sound issues are annoying but they aren't enough to make me not play the game.

mr stroke

Still on the fence on this game cause of the bunked online. For someone who will only play online is the game playable in its current state?

Xevren

Abel was my main in SF4, but I'm avoiding him in this game. Something seems extremely off. I cannot for the life of me set up command grabs and I don't know why that is.

Does he have shorter/slower dashes so that dash in command is nerfed? Does he have more start up and less reach on grabs? Do other things just get more priority? Not sure. I do like his step kick into HP is now no longer a 1 frame link. Oh and why did they give him Breathless? Ugh. Should have been Soulless, especially in this game. ; ;

He's the man, you're just a hater!

With the way hit stun works you have to alter your time for throws, that goes for everyone. As for ranges, you have to be kissing them for medium/heavy TT's but light and ex have a little range to them. They changed his normals around a little bit. His step kick doesn't have the range it used to, but his cr mp is a really good poke now that really helps him out in the footsie battle. I think he's really good personally, should give him a try.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Whoops, I'm wrong. It can be canceled. I should probably hold my stick on my lap when testing stuff =P.

It seems like there's this medium range where it won't come out. It either has to be linked or canceled REALLY fast. There's an input speed where it simply won't come out for me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
He's not talking about canceling.

You can however buffer the directional input. A buffer is where you do the directionals for a 2nd move during the first moves animation. So you can buffer the directionals with your stick or pad, but the timing of the actual button press (in this case a punch button because you're doing a shoryuken) will have to be directly after the recovery of the cr.lp.

Thanks for taking the time for the explanations, it really helps. Indeed it seems I need to do the Shoryuken motion immediately after hitting the first LP so that I can finish the Shoryuken by pressing LP again before the narrow few frame window closes. I did not realize such accuracy was within the bounds of human perception and hand coordination, so I was stunned to notice I could do it quite a few times, even if not consistently yet.

What a great learning challenge. I'll start to put a few hours a day to training mode and start to sharpen my skills. Guide sounds good if it introduces the very basics - wonder if I can get a digital version for ipad.

BTW - learned I can do Shoryuken by pressing down-fwd twice then LP, instead of the Z movement. It's still not easy though for me yet to time it after the LP :D

Ferrio

Banned
Thanks for taking the time for the explanations, it really helps. Indeed it seems I need to do the Shoryuken motion immediately after hitting the first LP so that I can finish the Shoryuken by pressing LP again before the narrow few frame window closes. I did not realize such accuracy was within the bounds of human perception and hand coordination, so I was stunned to notice I could do it quite a few times, even if not consistently yet.

What a great learning challenge. I'll start to put a few hours a day to training mode and start to sharpen my skills. Guide sounds good if it introduces the very basics - wonder if I can get a digital version for ipad.

http://www.bradygames.com/store/product.aspx?isbn=0744013976

conman

I'm with you, man. I play most fighting game releases as they come out, but I never do more than basic moves and a few specials. There's a point (usually at about 15-20 hours) where I realize I've hit a brick wall in my skills. And it always comes down to figuring out what the hell to do next and in what situation. Timing combos/cancels just right seems to take so much practice that I usually give up and just move onto the next game. That's why I really got into BlazBlue for a while (much easier to pull off combos), but then that game also got seriously crazy after a certain point. And MvC3 never appealed to me because too many characters just seemed "same-y."

Anyhow, long way to say, I enjoy what SFxT is trying to do, but I'm running into the same barriers as always. I understand the basics, but learning the timings and distancings and executions for everything gets to be a bit much.

I'd love to know what others have done to push past this point in learning the genre. What helped. What "breakthroughs" happened in playing. Etc. Because I love the genre, but I get so frustrated every time I get to the point where I need to learn/memorize elaborate timings and combinations.

How do I progress without driving myself nuts? Part of me feels like I'm just too old to learn now (36), but another part of me just keeps getting drawn to the genre over and over again despite my frustrations.

While doing the trials for SFxT, this is the first time I've intuitively figured out what a "buffer" is. I couldn't nail some of the combo inputs until I discovered that you could pre-load the next stick movement while doing the prior move. It made such a huge difference! Slowly figuring this stuff out.

Venfayth

BTW - learned I can do Shoryuken by pressing down-fwd twice then LP, instead of the Z movement. It's still not easy though for me yet to time it after the LP :D

I started playing AE less than a year ago and I remember saying things very similar to what you are about how hard it is to learn this game and I just have a couple pieces of advice:

Try and find pleasure in doing simple combos, or just executing things correctly. Then find something you have fun practicing, and practice it for a long time. Do shoryuken with the z motion 10 times on player 1 side, then switch to player 2 side and do it 10 more times, etc.

And if this is possible, try to find someone who's as new as you are, and learn with them. Grind games out against them. I know when I started it was really nerve-wracking for me to fight random people online. I could just never do the things I practiced against them properly. Having someone you're comfortable playing with to just grind games out with you can be really beneficial.

And lastly, if you have questions, ask them. It's important to try and understand this game on a technical level (this isn't necessary, but it's helpful) once you've got the basics down. But also, people tend to use a lot of weird terminology, and being confused by that isn't fun. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer, I'm sure that goes for others here on GAF as well.

I'm with you, man. I play most fighting game releases as they come out, but I never do more than basic moves and a few specials. There's a point (usually at about 15-20 hours) where I realize I've hit a brick wall in my skills. And it always comes down to figuring out what the hell to do next and in what situation. Timing combos/cancels just right seems to take so much practice that I usually give up and just move onto the next game. That's why I really got into BlazBlue for a while (much easier to pull off combos), but then that game also got seriously crazy after a certain point. And MvC3 never appealed to me because too many characters just seemed "same-y."

Anyhow, long way to say, I enjoy what SFxT is trying to do, but I'm running into the same barriers as always. I understand the basics, but learning the timings and distancings and executions for everything gets to be a bit much.

I'd love to know what others have done to push past this point in learning the genre. What helped. What "breakthroughs" happened in playing. Etc. Because I love the genre, but I get so frustrated every time I get to the point where I need to learn/memorize elaborate timings and combinations.

How do I progress without driving myself nuts? Part of me feels like I'm just too old to learn now (36), but another part of me just keeps getting drawn to the genre over and over again despite my frustrations.

While doing the trials for SFxT, this is the first time I've intuitively figured out what a "buffer" is. I couldn't nail some of the combo inputs until I discovered that you could pre-load the next stick movement while doing the prior move. It made such a huge difference! Slowly figuring this stuff out.

This is exactly how I'm feeling. I'm so glad I've found people with such a similar mindset, haha.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Okay seriously, I can do a super fast cancel (like canceling during active frames) of lp xx srk or I can do a link, but somewhere in the middle (I think maybe during recovery frames) I can't get it to cancel....ever. It's like recovery frames are eating the inputs or something?? Anyone else care to try this out really quick in training mode, slowly modulating your input speed from an incredibly fast cancel down to a link.

At a certain medium speed, even with proper inputs (inputs turned on), srk doesn't come out. I feel like it's not just me being crazy because the guy above said the same thing, and I was having trouble with lk > lp xx srk in SF4 a long time ago until RiceEater told me to do it was a link, which is why I was certain it was a link in SF4 too.

Chittagong

Gold Member
And lastly, if you have questions, ask them. It's important to try and understand this game on a technical level (this isn't necessary, but it's helpful) once you've got the basics down. But also, people tend to use a lot of weird terminology, and being confused by that isn't fun. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer, I'm sure that goes for others here on GAF as well.

thanks, really appreciate it. Timedog and Ferrio too, thanks again for the pointers. Amazing to find a genre with such depth I haven't yet appreciated.

Top Bottom