• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
how do you get in with king? any vids/tips?
If someone finds some info please do tell. If I tag him in through the chain combo im good. If hes in and I have to fight for my life with him im as good as dead.

Imm0rt4l

Anyone have any recommendation of characters that go along well with Law? I'm already using him with ryu, and I played a bit more of this game yesterday and feeling more confident with law. I was thinking of Steve, but I don't know if theres really much synergy there, though it's worth a shot. Some say Hugo, but hugo bores me, everybody plays him, and it seems he makes any team better.

FeD.nL

So much for same skill matchmaking. First my points gone and now i'm being matched against people with 800+ bp, where is mah scrub playlist :'O

"Has anyone evaluated Bob or Julia's styles? I need a new anchor for two weeks from now (tourney with a bonus Qanba prize and my stick just broke)."

Julia is a fairly unsafe mixup dependent, somewhat execution heavy character. She also has good AA options, though range specific. She's almost like a tankier, less mobile Fuerte with far reaching pokes, though her mixups are not quite as ambiguous. She also has significantly better/harder hitting punishes than Fuerte and some interesting frame traps.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I am liking heihachi. The guy bashes skulls like crazy and I like the feel of his combos. If I get some time tonight I will probably put some work in with him.

hertog

What bnb you using with guile?

Everything ending in cr. mp -> Flashkick

And if I hit an Ex-FK I'll switch in King for the kneelifts.

Also after a launcher cr. mp, cr, mp Flashkick for some easy damage.

But he's all about his great defensive zoning game and if people are close, go for ambiguous jump-ins that mostly actually cross-up, and then cr. lk, cr. mp Flashkick again.

Has anyone evaluated Bob or Julia's styles? I need a new anchor for two weeks from now (tourney with a bonus Qanba prize and my stick just broke).

Bob has a loop that's really good but you need a good tag in move that puts your opponent in a bunch of hit stun (ie Ken's tatsu or Vega's rolling claw) to implement it (besides big whiff punishes). He's got an interesting jump that drops fast when you input an air normal but his air-to-air is so so. Also has Honda's far standing fierce. Has the tools to get around fireballs. To sum it up, I think he's a frame trap guy that does beefy damage. He's most effective up close, staggering cr.jabs for frame traps. Has overheads but they're way too predictable/slow and unsafe.

I'm using him as my second character solely because of that loop.

So much for same skill matchmaking. First my points gone and now i'm being matched against people with 800+ bp, where is mah scrub playlist :'O

It's the first week of the game and plenty of folks are just picking the game up and starting out. Many of the 500+ BP players are far worse than experienced fighting game players going online for the first time with 0 BP. BP never means that much at any point but in particular for the first month or so it doesn't mean anything at all. Too many new players, just play the game and take some lumps for now and the ranks will stabilize out over time.

Grifter

Julia is a fairly unsafe mixup dependent, somewhat execution heavy character. She also has good AA options, though range specific. She's almost like a tankier, less mobile Fuerte with far reaching pokes, though her mixups are not quite as ambiguous. She also has significantly better/harder hitting punishes than Fuerte and some interesting frame traps.

The frame traps had me interested, and her jump kick looks insane. Does she have some kind of fireball evading step?

"The frame traps had me interested, and her jump kick looks insane. Does she have some kind of fireball evading step?"

Jump HK crosses up at very specific ranges and only hits if you time it right, so far I've found that after her b.mp, lp chain, her jump hk will be in range to cross up, but you have to time it right or it whiffs.

Her hcf+k evades fireballs and her EX hcf+p has one hit of armor on the early frames.

Man, I'm still total junk after a week of on and off play. I can't seem to wrap my head around the combo system, I'm always doing a single normal or low normal into a special, trying to zone or doing the rush combo. Im seeing everyone else combo me into oblivion and Im dumbfounded as to how everybody picked up such intricate shit in less than a week. What am I missing here?

My god, it took me over 2 hours to do Kazuya's 17-20 trial. Playing nothing but Shoto's for 20 years can do that to you. I'm not use to doing certain inputs and pressing buttons this way. And something as simple as doing the Mist Step and waiting a couple tenths of a second to hit punch nearly broke me. But I'm glad to say I'm making progress with Kazuya in the training mode, he seems pretty fun to me and hopefully will compliment my Ryu well. I don't want to take him to rank and get slaughtered horribly though. Hopefully I can catch some matches with some of you guys later tonight to get some practice in.

"Man, I'm still total junk after a week of on and off play. I can't seem to wrap my head around the combo system, I'm always doing a single normal or low normal into a special, trying to zone or doing the rush combo. Im seeing everyone else combo me into oblivion and Im dumbfounded as to how everybody picked up such intricate shit in less than a week. What am I missing here?"

Practice and research.

LakeEarth

My god, it took me over 2 hours to do Kazuya's 17-20 trial. Playing nothing but Shoto's for 20 years can do that to you. I'm not use to doing certain inputs and pressing buttons this way. And something as simple as doing the Mist Step and waiting a couple tenths of a second to hit punch nearly broke me. But I'm glad to say I'm making progress with Kazuya in the training mode, he seems pretty fun to me and hopefully will compliment my Ryu well. I don't want to take him to rank and get slaughtered horribly though. Hopefully I can catch some matches with some of you guys later tonight to get some practice in.

How have you been doing the mist step motion? I've been doing f then hcf, which works.

FeD.nL

It's the first week of the game and plenty of folks are just picking the game up and starting out. Many of the 500+ BP players are far worse than experienced fighting game players going online for the first time with 0 BP. BP never means that much at any point but in particular for the first month or so it doesn't mean anything at all. Too many new players, just play the game and take some lumps for now and the ranks will stabilize out over time.

Thx, anyone on psn that needs a training scrubby? My PSN is FeD_nL

Grifter

BTW, I went from Rolento/King to Rolento/Kaz and may just put Ryu on anchor if I get desperate. I liked Rolento in SFA2 and CvS2 but never has he been so derp-easy (at this stage in the game). Watched some good players go on tilt last night while fighting basic Hugo so he's on the table too.

Bob has a loop that's really good but you need a good tag in move that puts your opponent in a bunch of hit stun (ie Ken's tatsu or Vega's rolling claw) to implement it (besides big whiff punishes). He's got an interesting jump that drops fast when you input an air normal but his air-to-air is so so. Also has Honda's far standing fierce. Has the tools to get around fireballs. To sum it up, I think he's a frame trap guy that does beefy damage. He's most effective up close, staggering cr.jabs for frame traps. Has overheads but they're way too predictable/slow and unsafe.

Sounds like me. I'm using Rolento circles to tag in King for the knee frenzy. Does Bob's loop need them to start standing?

Really sad how they handled poison. Like a shitty fei long or something.
i like her. shes a fireball character imo. if she had a command throw, she'd be perfect for me.

characters tend to like to be in a certain range for their game either up close mixups, midscreen pokes or zoning for afar. i feel that poison can be effective anywhere on screen, even if shes not amazing at either one.

V_Arnold

Practice and research.

Wow, you could not have been more vague even if you tried.

As to the question, learn the juggle system. Experiment with an opponent being in a juggle state (after the launcher attack, for example), then use that in a real combo with using quick tag instead of launchers. Then you will improve on this.

Reading you guys complain about Juri being cheaped made me want to try her out.
Yep, she's cheap, I'm sticking with her.

So who are people bitching about? I hear Rolento is really good, Ryu is good and brain dead easy to play. I guess Juri belongs on that list to then? Any other character that is making waves as far as being considered top tier?

I don't care about main'ing a top tier or anything like that(I always play Ryu though, so that's different). But I'm curious to know who people are calling top tier or just simply really good in the first week or month so we can see how things change by the time EVO begins or by the end of the year.

How have you been doing the mist step motion? I've been doing f then hcf, which works.

Yep, at first I was doing the normal DP motion but I found it to be too inconsistent. So I tried the same thing you mentioned and it has been working out for me. My only problem is doing crouching attacks into mist step. Not that it's hard, it's just extremely awkward. I've never had to do something like that before in a SF game so it's really killing me trying to get use to it with Kazuya but hopefully I will eventually get it down.

vocab

I've taken him pretty far in ranked, and there's tons of room for improvement. Part of my problem is the lack of muscle memory. Once I can land his bnb's consistently then I will be much happier with him. Also, I need to implement more of his mid chains.

Also Juri is good, but I won't buy the hype. She takes more effort to be seriously good with her.

LowParry

Lili has such a floaty jump. But does it cross up good with MK. I've been experimenting around with teams. Kaz/Lili, Kaz/Julia, Julia/Lili, Vega/Julia, Vega/Lili. Hard to really settle down with any of these one teams cause they're all fun. Maybe I'll add in Kuma for troll effect.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
What I've learned:
- EX rush punch (pheonix smasher, or PS) in your punishes are good, but not in the corner
- he doesn't really have a good multi-hit move to tag cancel into
- his "go under fireball" moves is slow and doesn't go far enough, but can extend his wallbounce combos
- his fierce PS is -3 on block, but the other versions are way worse, so only use jab/strong PS if you're juggling and fierce will go under
- I need to test this out, but apparently his jabs have no hurtbox and are abuseable
- his overhead punch special (non-EX) is +3 so you can use it to put on the pressure, and causes a ground-bounce on counterhit
- his anti-airs are weak, but not useless

Paul specials are almost a mismash of SF characters:
Makoto dash punch, Yun's upkicks, Yang's low roll move, Oni's overhead smash move, Dudley's back-swing blow, Ryu's links but Dan's normals.

Cool cool thanks a bunch, having a terrible time with my "supposed team" of Paul and King ( picked at random so no real thought has gone into the picks )

As Paul I'm...

- having a hard time opening up fools so I can hit confirm anything into his EX moves
- having a terrible time with spacing and footsies with him, feels like one whiffed normal from him is as punishable as any other character missing his/her super...
- not able to punish anyone that is further away than kissing distance
- don't know whether or not to have him as anchor or point.

As King

- I haven't learned his inputs yet...

Wow, you could not have been more vague even if you tried.

As to the question, learn the juggle system. Experiment with an opponent being in a juggle state (after the launcher attack, for example), then use that in a real combo with using quick tag instead of launchers. Then you will improve on this.

I'm pretty sure that's my problem. I'm having a huge amount of trouble figuring out what the rules for the juggle state are. 5 hits with resets on one wall bounce and one ground bounce, that I'm figured. Sometimes however some moves won't hit, and Im unsure as to what the quick tag conditions are. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Grifter

I'm like you, except I tried briefly (and failed) to pick up Kaz in Tekken 5 so the step here is mentally easier to digest (still hard for me to cancel into, or time the hit for juggles). If you're on 360, we can get some Kaz practice in.

Sblargh

Banned

I just fought a guy with well over 1000 bp who had a Guile/Ken team and his Ken had the easy input assist gem (and another assist gem that I didn't got, maybe auto tech, tho I remember grabbing him during the fight).
So yeah, BP means nothing right now.

So who are people bitching about? I hear Rolento is really good, Ryu is good and brain dead easy to play. I guess Juri belongs on that list to then? Any other character that is making waves as far as being considered top tier?

I don't care about main'ing a top tier or anything like that(I always play Ryu though, so that's different). But I'm curious to know who people are calling top tier or just simply really good in the first week or month so we can see how things change by the time EVO begins or by the end of the year.

Nah, I'm half kidding. But I like her, Good anti-air (and fast enough to juggle), good cross up game, good hit confirms, cr.mp is a great normal, her dive kick is safe and you don't really need to go for the extra kicks, since the regular one already allows some juggle. She is good, not calling top tier on anything.

"Wow, you could not have been more vague even if you tried.

As to the question, learn the juggle system. Experiment with an opponent being in a juggle state (after the launcher attack, for example), then use that in a real combo with using quick tag instead of launchers. Then you will improve on this."

Wasn't vague at all. He asked how people were able to pick it up so fast, that's precisely how. Using the brady games guide, watching videos, trial mode, reading character threads at SRK, and a healthy dose of training mode.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Yeah, how is Paul in this game? I don't think I've ever seen anyone use him. He's one of the better characters in the Tekken games. Does his deathfist do a lot of damage?

LakeEarth

Cool cool thanks a bunch, having a terrible time with my "supposed team" of Paul and King ( picked at random so no real thought has gone into the picks )
Yeah opening people up is not Paul's speciality. Here's a post from SRK that may help:

like paul is in general. slow but brutal. walking / wiggle forward, neutral/forward jump, hk raze against projectile mid screen (travels quite a distance, from 5th frame projectile immunity), morta against some zone pokes. don't force yourself in tho, if you have life lead against a non proectile char just lp sway your meter up to you liking. they need to come.

Paul is easy but slow, punishable and opening people up is hard. I think second slot is best for him.

LowParry

I just fought a guy with well over 1000 bp who had a Guile/Ken team and his Ken had the easy input assist gem (and another assist gem that I didn't got, maybe auto tech, tho I remember grabbing him during the fight).
So yeah, BP means nothing right now.

Is that those purple gems? fml...if that was the case with my previous matches, that pisses me off.

Venfayth

I'm pretty sure that's my problem. I'm having a huge amount of trouble figuring out what the rules for the juggle state are. 5 hits with resets on one wall bounce and one ground bounce, that I'm figured. Sometimes however some moves won't hit, and Im unsure as to what the quick tag conditions are. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Some moves simply have a better juggle property than others. Since they don't list the juggle value in the guide, it's almost impossible to figure out juggle combos through anything other than trial/experiment.

Sblargh

Banned
Is that those purple gems? fml...if that was the case with my previous matches, that pisses me off.

Yeah, those big purple gems means one of the assist gems. I am sure one was the easy input because he often flashed out of nowhere and did a hurricane kick (which means, I think, that he was trying to poke while walking... or random hurricane kick was his game plan, who knows)

Paul is easy but slow, punishable and opening people up is hard. I think second slot is best for him.

Yeah, I put him behind Vega. Speed and defense gems on Vega to keep him fast and alive, and meter gain and power on teammate launch gems on Paul. Then I pretty much just use Vega to footsie and annoy until they do something silly, then just Cross Rush into Paul for damage. Works quite well for a scrub like me.

I'm like you, except I tried briefly (and failed) to pick up Kaz in Tekken 5 so the step here is mentally easier to digest (still hard for me to cancel into, or time the hit for juggles). If you're on 360, we can get some Kaz practice in.

I'm on 360 so we're good to go. I'll come back and see if you're available later tonight.

Sounds like me. I'm using Rolento circles to tag in King for the knee frenzy. Does Bob's loop need them to start standing?

Standing, crouching. Just not in the air, ground bounce, or crumple. I haven't tested it with Rolento so you may wanna try it out first. His loop is special step (DP+K), PP. Causes opponent to crumple, repeat x4, total of 5. Execution is tight (is actually an infinite?) but practice makes perfect. His BnB is pretty simple too: cr.lp, cr.hp xx special step -> lp, cr.lp, cr.hp xx hp dp, hp/hk follow up. Easy to tag in partner after that for more damage.

My problems with Bob so far has been his Super isn't really that good. It's a good anti-projectile Super, but it's not very friendly if you combo it when your opponent is in the air.

LogicStep

So as a UMVC3 player, how will this game be? I suck at SF4, doing combos is that game is so fucking hard because of the timing. I played this one a bit at a friends house and I liked it, especially the 2v2, and it felt easier to do combos on that game than on SF4 even though I had no idea what I was doing. But yeah, the game was fun as hell, just wondering how hard is it going to be to adapt to it for combos and stuff.

Anyone? Sorry to take away from the momentum of character discussion.

Tiktaalik

Tell me more about this loop...

rCIZZLE

So as a UMVC3 player, how will this game be? I suck at SF4, doing combos is that game is so fucking hard because of the timing. I played this one a bit at a friends house and I liked it, especially the 2v2, and it felt easier to do combos on that game than on SF4 even though I had no idea what I was doing. But yeah, the game was fun as hell, just wondering how hard is it going to be to adapt to it for combos and stuff.

Anyone? Sorry to take away from the momentum of character discussion.

This game is a lot more user friendly from an execution standpoint. Anybody can pick up and do the basic chain to launcher combo followed by a shoryuken or similar special move with the incoming character. That said, it's still a very complex game and max damage combos can be pretty difficult to master. The game is a nice balance between mvc and sf4.

Top Bottom