• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Look at ogres jab jab chain plus frames :p
Et9iQ.gif

Also why does he have 1000 health? I thought they would make it 850 like akuma.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't know if it's just me not being used to the blockstun, but when I did some frame data testing last week the reversal windows felt tighter than SF4.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
WHOA, IS THERE A LINK LIKE THIS FOR EVERY CHARACTER SO I DON'T HAVE TO BUY THE GUIDE?

There's tabs on the bottom which lets you select each character. Although it's just frame data + some notes, I'd imagine the guide would still be worth it for all the details, strats combos etc it has.

tm24

Is there any videos out there to help scrubs like myself figure out the timing to chains and links and just the technology behind them? The one thing I'm having trouble with in comparison to Marvel

SUPARSTARX

That's ripped out of the guide with some fresh updates because the guide had plenty of misprints. Other than basic beginner tips and strategy, you're basically paying for color paper and frame data.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
There's tabs on the bottom which lets you select each character. Although it's just frame data + some notes, I'd imagine the guide would still be worth it for all the details, strats combos etc it has.

I find strats and combos in guides to be useless for me personally after a few days with a character. I'm mostly just interested in frame data, and stuff about how the fighting engine works.

DRE Fei

The strategy guide is good for frame data but the character analysis aspect of it IMO isn't as good as the soul calibur 5 guide. I just hope capcom releases some sort of pdf file for the dlc characters.

Sblargh

Banned
Gash! I can't do Kazuya's trial 19. I can't do the cr.hp -> mist step by themselves, much less in the combo.
Is it a cancel or a link? It looks like a cancel by the once in every blue moon I do it outside the combo, but I input the fastest I can and doesn't work. All kinds of small delays don't work either. Argh. So frustrated.

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
Gash! I can't do Kazuya's trial 19. I can't do the cr.hp -> mist step by themselves, much less in the combo.
Is it a cancel or a link? It looks like a cancel by the once in every blue moon I do it outside the combo, but I input the fastest I can and doesn't work. All kinds of small delays don't work either. Argh. So frustrated.

It's a cancel. The problem you're likely having is starting the motion for the Mist Step far too late. You need to be ending the motion when the c.HP connects. If you want a visual reference, here's a link to Trial 19 as performed by VesperArcade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bhky5Tr-81A#t=88s

Morris

Disco Devil

I have no clue on how Mist Step is supposed to work but what I did was:

For regular Mist Step + EX Uppercut: Tap forward, then do the qcf motion + PP.

As for cr. HP xx Mist Step: Hold down front while doing cr. HP, do the same cancel you did with regular Mist Step.

EDIT: Just checked VesperArcade's video. You can do qcfx2, HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THAT.

chriskun

As soon as you hit c. Hp you need to do the mist step. I did it buy doing an exaggerated dp motion basically. As soon as you hit forward take the stick all the way to back before you hit the down diagonal.

hertog

Played a lot of games with a friend online.

It's so much fun, but I've dropped from 1500 bp to 950 though :)

I'll have to work a lot today and tomorrow, but thursday and friday begins my quest to get to at least 3000 bp.

Sblargh

Banned
Thanks for the advice guys! Just did it!

I have no clue on how Mist Step is supposed to work but what I did was:

For regular Mist Step + EX Uppercut: Tap forward, then do the qcf motion + PP.

As for cr. HP xx Mist Step: Hold down front while doing cr. HP, do the same cancel you did with regular Mist Step.

EDIT: Just checked VesperArcade's video. You can do qcfx2, HOW DID I NOT THINK OF THAT.

Honorable mention to this one. :p Holding down front while doing the cr.HP did the trick.

Edit: aaaand, trial 20 also done. That one was easy.

LakeEarth

SF4 has 4 frame reversal windows iirc. If that went up to 6 or even 13 frames then that would be something else.
o_O

Also wow Tekken character sure love these + frames on block/hit for their jabs.

Ogre's jab is +2 on block and Paul has +5? Wheeeeee

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApPlWhz-bEuHdDM2blEydzhDY1BJOC1Qdm9mZ09yRlE#gid=73

This will be fun.

The reversal window is smaller. You can just tell. If the window was as large as the one in SF4, Julia's 1/2 frame super would be crazy powerful. It already is.

And I just picked up the guide and noticed Paul's standing jab had so many plus frames. I should really try to abuse that.

hertog

Finally getting a bit better with King without relying on launchers.

But playing against button mashers is very frustrating with King. He has a lot of mix-ups, but there's always a few frames for a kazuya mashcombo or an ex-shoryuken.
And the DDT after a konvict kick sometimes feels so random :S

He's be an awesome character if he had some useful pokes (and his shoulder tackle is way to hard on a fightpad :( )

Man I love Kazuya, he's the first Tekken character that I'm putting a lot of time into and it's working out so far as I haven't given up yet. I really like the fact that he has hit confirms with probably like 5 different combo enders. They all do about the same damage but it's fun to say to myself "I think I'll do this one this time". I haven't even taken him online let alone use him against anyone yet. I'm trying to get the muscle memory down first as he's sort of a big change from the character that I've come from in the SF universe. I've been skeptical for a while but I'm actually starting to have some fun now that I've putting together my first team.

Playing Kazuya does make me wish Capcom had this character or someone like him in SF4. It'd be nice to have such a unorthodox character in that game that I could play as a stand alone character.

LowParry

Playing Kazuya does make me wish Capcom had this character or someone like him in SF4. It'd be nice to have such a unorthodox character in that game that I could play as a stand alone character.

If you like Kaz, try out Heihachi while you're at it. He's a pretty mean character as well.

been doing Steve and Hwoarang....one puncher, one kicker, lol.

But man, I am getting my ass kicked even by crappy shoto players. This team feels so weird.

Not really the same. Heihachi is so braindead compared to Jin or Kazuya, it is not even funny.

So pretty much Heihachi is the Mishima equivalent of Ryu from the Shoto's(at least in this version of the game)?

EDIT: WTF, Kaz's mist step into Dragon Uppercut is completely safe? I can't punish it at all with Ryu, not DP, not jab, not Super or anything else I can think of. Man I am spamming that move if this is infact true.

V_Arnold

So pretty much Heihachi is the Mishima equivalent of Ryu from the Shoto's?

EDIT: WTF, Kaz's mist step into Dragon Uppercut is completely safe? I can't punish it at all with Ryu, not DP, not jab, not Super or anything else I can think of. Man I am spamming that move if this is infact true.

It might be unsafe against lows. Or a launcher timed well.

DRE Fei

I'm really impressed with Capcom's interpretation of the Tekken characters. The way Kazuya is designed for example just shows how much detail was put into it.

WTF, Kaz's mist step into Dragon Uppercut is completely safe? I can't punish it at all with Ryu, not DP, not jab, not Super or anything else I can think of. Man I am spamming that move if this is infact true.

It's only -1 on block and has upper body invincibility.

I've been thinking of a way to try and improve the tutorial system in fighting games. I recall playing games stepmania and other timing based games where you could enable different types of cues for when to make actions. There was this interesting feature called "clap" that would make a clapping sound when you were supposed to hit the key for the best possible score on that particular key press.

This was extremely helpful for learning and training since you would begin to anticipate the sound before it actually came, and actually got better at playing even though it really made little difference to what you were doing.

I would love to see something similar implemented into training modes for fighting games. A system where the character would glow a certain color for each particular state (startup, recovery, hitstun etc) that would help players learn the timings on links better. Toss in a mode with some simple link combos with clapping or audio cues for when you're supposed to hit the next button and I bet you'd have a pretty robust training mode.

I do believe however that a lot of people would not be happy if such a mode existed since it would make the learning process a little easier.

Do you guys think that would ruin the game?

V_Arnold

I'd say that Heihachi is the..Balrog of SFIV.
Balrog on MORE steroids, with a counter. Or the Makoto.

Jin is the Ryu equivalent, only more complex (mist step and the stance says hi), and Kazuya is the Ken equivalent (again, with more complexity) :D

Jin is the Ryu equivalent, only more complex (mist step and the stance says hi), and Kazuya is the Ken equivalent (again, with more complexity) :D

I was only referring to the shoto's in SFxT. Akuma and Ken from my experience seem kind of complex to play. Akuma was never easy to play in SF4, but Ken was easy for the most part, Ryu was in between in SF4. But in SFxT, Ryu is braindead easy to play. Easy hit confirms into links into EX donkey kick or launcher. Links themselves are extremely easy, they all feel like 2-3 framers to me. Fireball cancels can be tricky, LK donkey kick if spaced well can be hard to punish and be used as a pressure tool. And who needs DP, when you can do cr. HP>sweep(or cr. MK>tatsu) for more damage lol.

LowParry

I'd argue that Rolento or Hugo is the Ken equivalent if we're talking in terms of use online and flowchart territory. If not, agreed.

V_Arnold

Kazuya-Ken is only comparable due to the strength of Tatsu/QCB+K on Kazuya, nothing more. And Jin gets the fireball in exchange.

But no comparison is lossless, so it is easier to just bow before Capcom for creating such amazing characters in the first place for SFxT.

zlatko

Banned
So pretty much Heihachi is the Mishima equivalent of Ryu from the Shoto's(at least in this version of the game)?

I believe it leaves you -1, but you can still be command grabbed or regular thrown if you just do it point blank, but jabs/srks won't pose any threat.

Kazuya is easily my best character. I've got it all down pat with him in turns of keep pressure, mist stepping if they block something like cr jab cr jab cr mk so that i can be right back in their face. I have 3 power gems on him, so if he touches you with meter it's usually 500-700 damage.

There is a best option for enders when you mentioned it earlier. The best ender is generally mist step kick variant into punch follow up. Does 170 if i remember right.

So a good long confirm combo if you get a jump HK blocked is the LK LP mk MP HP ex hook, cr HP, mist step, leg, fist. Kazuya definitely benefits from meter, so having him as the 2ndary is most advised. Abuse his back + HK on people who like to roll since it's an overhead, reaches far, and doesn't look like one at all.

The most damage I've done with him when gems are up is jump Hk, crouch HP, Shook, crouch Hp, ex hook, crouch Hp, super. Broke 700 some. Forget if it was corner only or not though.

Skilletor

I'm really impressed with Capcom's interpretation of the Tekken characters. The way Kazuya is designed for example just shows how much detail was put into it.

It's only -1 on block and has upper body invincibility.

The ewgf version is completely safe, pushes the opponent back, and launches closer to you for better juggles.

I'm glad they kept the both versions.

Top Bottom