• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Sblargh

Banned
And the people who think games are all combos and spend time just learning those 1-frame links aren't going to get very far with this mentality. I don't give a damn if you can do amazing combos if you're not good enough to apply a strategy to land it. Just because somebody can do it on the internet doesn't mean you have to be able to. I run in to plenty of scrubs on XBL/PSN who are just like those people in the arcade days of yore wanting to throw fireballs and act like an old Kris Kross song was a tutorial on how to play SF.

I guess I'm just old. lol

You're right, tho. I had a somewhat succesfull life as a Sakura online warrior without doing half the stuff Chris G do. Just by forcing people to guess on 50/50s. Combos help, more damage = less times you have to get in, but if you can get in a lot, you negate that.

I called my local Kmart all excited. He tells me no, we don't have that. He then says, they don't even have UMVC3, just a lot of Skyrims and COD's/Battefields 3's lol.

I called my local Kmart all excited. He tells me no, we don't have that. He then says, they don't even have UMVC3, just a lot of Skyrims and COD's/Battefields 3's lol.

Go check anyway. My Kmart told me that they didn't have TvC. I walk into the store on a great big Friday before it was released, and there it was, sitting in the display case.

Xevren

Go check anyway. My Kmart told me that they didn't have TvC. I walk into the store on a great big Friday before it was released, and there it was, sitting in the display case.

This, I was able to get SSF 4 early this way. Hopefully they'll have SF x Tekken here in a day or two. If not, no biggie.

LowParry

I think there was one or two places in Utah that sold SF4 early. But it's super rare. So I'll probably be waiting till Tuesday.

For anyone that does get it early on xbox, won't you get banned for playing it online early?

And who do you guys think will be the strongest characters? It seems like already from what we've seen a lot of Tekken characters will have advantage over some characters because of their wave-dashing.

I don't think there will be any broken characters but there will be some higher end characters like always, I think

Heihachi
Hwoarang
Kazuya
Hugo
Raven
Ken
Vega
Rolento

The amount of overheads that the Tekken characters have is crazy..I can't block that shit

RS4-

For anyone that does get it early on xbox, won't you get banned for playing it online early?

Scare tactics for the most part. Besides I only hear about threats of banning when it comes to actual MS releases like Halo, etc and major games like Gears.

Still stupid.

I'll be at GDC with my copy sitting at my job here in New York all week. Can't wait to play the retail and get my Hugo/King/Marduk/Zangief on.

Seriously? That's fucked up.

I know they usually restart the leaderboards the day of release also.

I remember when Vanilla MVC3 came out and my friend in NY got it on the Friday before release. He got up to number 3 in the world before release on the leaderboards, but nothing did happen to him for it

Most devs will clear the leaderboards on release day. The places I worked, nobody really cared if people had legit copies a little early and playing. Most likely they were the hardcore fans anyways, so no need to get on them.

You only get banned if you're playing with a modded Xbox.

No matter what game it is, if you have a legit copy, you're fine.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
And the people who think games are all combos and spend time just learning those 1-frame links aren't going to get very far with this mentality. I don't give a damn if you can do amazing combos if you're not good enough to apply a strategy to land it. Just because somebody can do it on the internet doesn't mean you have to be able to. I run in to plenty of scrubs on XBL/PSN who are just like those people in the arcade days of yore wanting to throw fireballs and act like an old Kris Kross song was a tutorial on how to play SF.

I guess I'm just old. lol

(JUMP! JUMP!)

I hate fighitng people without strategy myself (can't run a mind game on the mindless...), but I guess with SFIV series (more than any other fighter, really), I can understand how not getting to do certain things makes the game just... not fun. It's got the graphic sizzle with Ultras and stuff, but once you get past that, if you can't reach a certain execution level, the game loses a lot.

To go off the "none of that stuff si fun for a new player" stuff I said in what you quoted, I think SFxT will be fun in that reguard, really. Not that the new player will know it is they're DOING, but getting a whole crazy combo from a crouch forward will make footsies more "accessibly fun". Rolling on wakeup will at least make falling for an oki trap seem more "well, guess I did the wrong thing!" rather than SFIV's "How'd I get thrown?!? Why'd that DP hit me?!?" stuff, lol. More options are always good, and it makes it feel more like it's under your own control.

Anyway though, 2 player co-op will give everyone a chance to use Scorpion of Saturday Night Slam Master's losing line, "My ally FAILED ME!"; It'll be nice to team up with people who can do the things you can't do as well (and vice-versa), and hopefully learn by osmosis, haha. Maybe everyone will level-up more (or get lazy and dependant...) since the "fun" isn't just based on oneself anymore.

It'd be nice to see that mode get tourney-accepted. Was quite enjoyable on C.Assault, should be fun to play, and should be much more fun that watching cards get it on in marvel lobbies XD

It will be fun to play online with my buddies and and Pandora myself instantly to see them panic and try to do something with the ten seconds of life they have left.

Tizoc

I wonder if the reason the PC ver. is releasing in May is so they remove the data for the 12 Vita characters?

It will be fun to play online with my buddies and and Pandora myself instantly to see them panic and try to do something with the ten seconds of life they have left.

They have left or YOU have left ;P

d0c_zaius

They have left or YOU have left ;P

nah unfortunately pandora in its current state is weaksauce.

some people already mentioned that you can hit someone who is pandora'd with a combo that would eat all the time. Also if you play a grappler like hugo, you can hit them with one throw that eats up most of the time. Or even just run as soon as you see them pandora.

Two players pandora'd with no one beating each other = a draw, which will usher in a new era of staged final rounds (joking of course). Probably the only time we'll see it used for a while (until people figure out if there are any practical applications), is someone doing it by accident. And that will be hilarious and awesome.

Unfortunate though as it makes the cool pandora versions of characters unecessary. This is of course without messing with gems as I've only messed around with the default loadouts.

nah pandora in its current state is weaksauce.

some people already mentioned that you can hit someone who is pandora'd with a combo that would eat all the time. Also if you play a grappler like hugo, you can hit them with one throw that eats up most of the time. Or even just run as soon as you see them pandora.

Two players pandora'd with no one beating each other = a draw, which will usher in a new era of staged final rounds (joking of course).

Thanks been really curious about this. But if two people use pandora how is it possible to beat each other? Last person to activate wins? Or is it automatic draw. I wasn't aware there was health during pandora just a timer.

Thanks been really curious about this. But if two people use pandora how is it possible to beat each other? Last person to activate wins? Or is it automatic draw. I wasn't aware there was health during pandora just a timer.

Pandora forces you to lose if you don't kill your opponent. If you havent killed them by your time up, you lose. In this case, the first person to activate pandora will lose if either player doesnt die

notworksafe

So wait...if both players are below 20% (or is it 25?) HP and one Pandoras, the other player can just Pandora right there for a guaranteed win?

d0c_zaius

So wait...if both players are below 20% (or is it 25?) HP and one Pandoras, the other player can just Pandora right there for a guaranteed win?

unless me and the other guy had the exact same life, he pandora'd..then like 1 second later I did. I ran away the whole time and we both got a draw (assuming I'd won because I had more pandora meter). That ended in a draw.

So I dunno. Every other time he used pandora I just ran away from hugo easy mode.

Shito

For playing it a couple days before release? I thought thats what they did to people who got Cod early and such
No, they didn't.
Activision said they were going to do this, and Microsoft denied everything soon afterwards.

It's incredible people can believe in those kinds of scare tactics.

Nyx

As there’s no Rose or C.Viper this time around, I will have to learn at least 2 chars all over again. (Rose and Viper were my mains in (S)SF4, and while I’m very far away from being a good player, I could stand my ground with those two at least)

But, due to the addition of the Tekken chars, I will have a lot of fun trying to find 2 new mains !

Looking forward to the game a lot, also trying to convince a mate to buy the game so we can tag-team online.

d0c_zaius

This is weaksauce?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI7SjK97Qk4

Probably over half the cast can ex wallbounce... you can probably swap out the c.mk for 2 standing jabs if you start the combo with 1 bar instead of 2.

This was the last part of my quote, "This is of course without messing with gems as I've only messed around with the default loadouts." This doesnt look default to me:

Gameplay showing the use of the 'Advanced' Gems set with Pandora.
All gems in this set are only useful during Pandora Mode activation.
- Immense Power Gem Lv. 3 (Attack +30%. Condition: Activate Pandora)
- Divine Speed Gem Lv. 3 (Speed +20%. Condition: Activate Pandora)
- Proficiency Gem Lv. 3 (Reduce Cross Gauge usage 40%. Condition: Activate Pandora)

Time will tell how practical a set up like this is. Seems like a one trick pony. But I can't claim to be any expert. That being said I would like it to be useful for some circumstances, especially in 2v2.

xzUv9.jpg

Westlo

This was the last part of my quote, "This is of course without messing with gems as I've only messed around with the default loadouts." This doesnt look default to me:

Gameplay showing the use of the 'Advanced' Gems set with Pandora.
All gems in this set are only useful during Pandora Mode activation.
- Immense Power Gem Lv. 3 (Attack +30%. Condition: Activate Pandora)
- Divine Speed Gem Lv. 3 (Speed +20%. Condition: Activate Pandora)
- Proficiency Gem Lv. 3 (Reduce Cross Gauge usage 40%. Condition: Activate Pandora)

Time will tell how practical a set up like this is. Seems like a one trick pony. But I can't claim to be any expert. That being said I would like it to be useful for some circumstances, especially in 2v2.

I think you can safely drop the Proficiency Gem from that setup, he was well over 2 bars when he went into that Super. Also unless that Divine Speed Gem was needed for Ken to dash in quick enough to combo the c.mk into Shippu, that too can be dropped. Speed gems affect walking and jumping speed, not to sure about dashes... but that's only 1 gem you have to give up to make your 500 dmg Pandora combos into 650 dmg.

The meter gem would be useful to do that combo just from Pandora x c.mk x Super but the bar will fill up in time if you can jab twice into x super. Even without the gem setup you're still looking @ a 500 dmg combo from 1 bar... if you're fighting someone with 50% life and you have 1 bar left... this is your easy maximum punish.

Pandora isn't overpowered or a match changer like x-Factor and Ultras, still situationally good and a lot of the cast can start Pandora combos via their ex wallbounces. If i'm fighting people online with characters who can ex wallbounce my pandora defense gem is going on the next game after they combo into it...

Yuripaw

Banned
I'm tempted, does it support 360 arcade sticks as well as pads?
Seems to support all wired xb360 controllers I've used on it. I've tried the mad catz SF4 fight pads, the afterglow xbox 360 wired controller, SF4 standard arcade stick, and the PDP marvel fightpad.

d0c_zaius

I think you can safely drop the Proficiency Gem from that setup, he was well over 2 bars when he went into that Super. Also unless that Divine Speed Gem was needed for Ken to dash in quick enough to combo the c.mk into Shippu, that too can be dropped. Speed gems affect walking and jumping speed, not to sure about dashes... but that's only 1 gem you have to give up to make your 500 dmg Pandora combos into 650 dmg.

The meter gem would be useful to do that combo just from Pandora x c.mk x Super but the bar will fill up in time if you can jab twice into x super. Even without the gem setup you're still looking @ a 500 dmg combo from 1 bar... if you're fighting someone with 50% life and you have 1 bar left... this is your easy maximum punish.

Pandora isn't overpowered or a match changer like x-Factor and Ultras, still situationally good and a lot of the cast can start Pandora combos via their ex wallbounces. If i'm fighting people online with characters who can ex wallbounce my pandora defense gem is going on the next game after they combo into it...

yea if pandora can become effective with only 1 gem, I could see it being way more practical than "plain".

alba

Little is the new Big
I gotta get back to scrubs GAF on PS3, been playing AE for so long on PC now, miss you guys! I sure hope I can get back into the group for SFxT and record matches and what not like we used to do. Game can't come soon enough.

Top Bottom