• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

goldensun

Think Floe's Jin might be the best character in the game at the moment.
When I played his Jin on stream last night, I was like blown away. I had never played an actual Jin before minus a few online scrubs, but he completely destroyed me. I didn't even have time to tag out, haha.

Floe is pretty gdlk right now.

SamVimes

"Still, my point is that when the games are so different in the way they play you can't really draw a comparison: you can say for example that Soul Calibur 5 is more balanced in defense vs offense, but you can't just throw mechanics in."

No one's saying you should just take mechanics from Soul Calibur and put them in SFxT (and guard break has existed in numerous 2D fighting games). The point of mentioning the mechanics of the various games is *why* they bring about a a better balance between offense and defense, how a mechanic might do the same for SFxT, and why one might feel SFxT is lacking in this regard.

Sorry, i meant that you can't just put the mechanics in a list and compare them like that.

I think that guard break in this game would allow a lot of dirty stuff: Rufus would wreck every single character without a reversal until they get an ex to alpha counter and, Hugo's lk xx clap blockstring (i don't know if it's a true blockstring tho) would be even more dirty.

To me as soon as the people discover how to mix fools up with overheads and if we ban assist gems (autotech is too good) you won't see nearly as many timeouts.

I didn't see the fight, but I did just say his jin.. not his team.

edit: err least I meant to.

Oh yea no argument from me there. Floe by far has the best Jin at this point. Floe always a contender it would be nice for him to see elevate pass contender and be considered a favorite. Well if SFxT doesn't work out for him he will always have Dark Stalkers I guess..

Mike Fraud at it again.

Sayah

Just took track of the past 5 opponents I played against.

Ryu + Ken
Yoshi + Ken
Jin + Ken
Ken + Kazuya
Ryu + Kazuya

I'm about to add this to my Amazon cart. Have they fixed the online issues yet? Or should I wait?

I wouldn't wait. Plenty enough to do offline to beef up your game, and if you have friends you can play with offline, too. If online's your main avenue for competition though, you might want to wait, but sound drop issue gets less and less annoying to me as days go by.

Hope they do fix it eventually though

Sayah

So Juri can apparently do a kick in the air that drops the opponent on ground and then follow up with more attacks or super or cross art. :/

I wouldn't wait. Plenty enough to do offline to beef up your game, and if you have friends you can play with offline, too. If online's your main avenue for competition though, you might want to wait, but sound drop issue gets less and less annoying to me as days go by.

Nope. Not even the supposed Tourney day 1 patch thing is in I think, I guess you can wait unless you really want it that bad though.

I'll probably wait then. I don't have a lot of friends who like playing fighting games so I'd most likely spend most of my gameplay time online. Every time I watch a feed, though, it makes me want to play it so bad.

Alright fighting game GAF I ask for your help. I bought this game last night because a.) It looked like a cool premise with the cross over. b.) The gems added another layer onto the game which looks like it could create more player experimentation with play styles. c.) I really wanted to play another fighter and be good at it. I haven't played a street fighter game seriously in a long time and I SUUUUUCK (0-3 online so far with most of the tutorials done). Is there anything I need to do? I've been doing training to see which characters I like but the list is huge so its somewhat hard for someone who hasn't played fighting games at a more serious pace to just jump in. Any websites or online tutorials that will help me? I would like to get good enough to be able to jump in a game online and hold my own and play with the community.

vocab

Alright fighting game GAF I ask for your help. I bought this game last night because a.) It looked like a cool premise with the cross over. b.) The gems added another layer onto the game which looks like it could create more player experimentation with play styles. c.) I really wanted to play another fighter and be good at it. I haven't played a street fighter game seriously in a long time and I SUUUUUCK (0-3 online so far with most of the tutorials done). Is there anything I need to do? I've been doing training to see which characters I like but the list is huge so its somewhat hard for someone who hasn't played fighting games at a more serious pace to just jump in. Any websites or online tutorials that will help me? I would like to get good enough to be able to jump in a game online and hold my own and play with the community.

What's your team? Have you done the trials for your characters to get a feel for how they combo? Have you figured out what to do when your partner comes in from a launcher?

If you are starting out my advice will be as a fellow scrub:

* Do the trials, not all of them, but enough to get a feel for each character. You will know by the end the small handful that just 'feel right'. Pick you initial team off this. Don't worry about tiers or what everybody else is using, you will do just fine with whomever at a low level.
* Watch some videos around those characters. Visit event hubs and srk and the like and read up a bit. Don't stress too much about combos, just the general feel of how you should play and what you should be trying to do. Is a certain character better on point? Should I play keep away or be going in? This will form the begging of your plan.
* Go into training mode and work out some simple combos. Things like, if they srk in front of me, as they are coming back down what do I do? Keep it simple to start with, and find a punish combo you are happy with and can do every time (you will make it more complex over time).
* Make sure you know some simple tag combos to keep things happening during a match. Again the key is to keep it simple, but you must put in the work to at least get something down. Too many players start playing online and just hit buttons. You will know this when you do something stupid and they seem to think about it and just do something simple like a sweep. If you have a plan of if they do A I do B, then A will never change, but B can get better. Over time you will also have more plans, and pretty soon you are levelling up.
* Go online, win some, lose some. Sooner of later you will find someone who is a bit better, but you enjoyed playing against. Message them and ask for a first to 10 or some tips. Most players will be happy to oblige. You will learn a lot more in this way rather then trying to figure it out yourself.
* Finally, after playing for a while, stop playing. Go back into training mode and level up your combos, try a new character or a different order. Once people get 'good enough' they tend to just stick to online play, making the same mistakes and not really getting better. The secret to improving is to "try" to improve. This takes time, and seems obvious, but I don't think a lot of players take the time to do it because it isn't particularly fun (and you may have limited play time).
* Don't play Ryu. You will love yourself more if you are not part of the problem...

maximilian's youtube channel.
OK cool thx I'll make sure to give those a watch.
What's your team? Have you done the trials for your characters to get a feel for how they combo? Have you figured out what to do when your partner comes in from a launcher?
I've been using different teams. I try to have one sf character and one tekken character on a team so I can try everyone and start to mix and match. The last team I used was Ryu and Cole
i know
. Thats a good idea I might try the trails with different teams to see how it all comes together. I'm still trying to figure out who I like.
If you are starting out my advice will be as a fellow scrub:

* Do the trials, not all of them, but enough to get a feel for each character. You will know by the end the small handful that just 'feel right'. Pick you initial team off this. Don't worry about tiers or what everybody else is using, you will do just fine with whomever at a low level.
* Watch some videos around those characters. Visit event hubs and srk and the like and read up a bit. Don't stress too much about combos, just the general feel of how you should play and what you should be trying to do. Is a certain character better on point? Should I play keep away or be going in? This will form the begging of your plan.
* Go into training mode and work out some simple combos. Things like, if they srk in front of me, as they are coming back down what do I do? Keep it simple to start with, and find a punish combo you are happy with and can do every time (you will make it more complex over time).
* Make sure you know some simple tag combos to keep things happening during a match. Again the key is to keep it simple, but you must put in the work to at least get something down. Too many players start playing online and just hit buttons. You will know this when you do something stupid and they seem to think about it and just do something simple like a sweep. If you have a plan of if they do A I do B, then A will never change, but B can get better. Over time you will also have more plans, and pretty soon you are levelling up.
* Go online, win some, lose some. Sooner of later you will find someone who is a bit better, but you enjoyed playing against. Message them and ask for a first to 10 or some tips. Most players will be happy to oblige. You will learn a lot more in this way rather then trying to figure it out yourself.
* Finally, after playing for a while, stop playing. Go back into training mode and level up your combos, try a new character or a different order. Once people get 'good enough' they tend to just stick to online play, making the same mistakes and not really getting better. The secret to improving is to "try" to improve. This takes time, and seems obvious, but I don't think a lot of players take the time to do it because it isn't particularly fun (and you may have limited play time).
* Don't play Ryu. You will love yourself more if you are not part of the problem...
Hah okay ya I never was on the Ryu or Ken wagon (I heard sf4 was just those two online all the time) but I was using him a little just to get a feel. But I know what you mean. Thanks for the tips. I just need to keep playing and not give up when I keep losing.

How to play Street Fighter in General - Maj's Footies guide.

How to play SFxT - The SRK Wiki

I don't think Max has any real tutorials for the game yet.

Sayah

Hah okay ya I never was on the Ryu or Ken wagon (I heard sf4 was just those two online all the time) but I was using him a little just to get a feel. But I know what you mean. Thanks for the tips. I just need to keep playing and not give up when I keep losing.

I wouldn't mind if Ryu + Ken weren't in the game even if it meant less characters.

Sayah

That seems like a super useful website thank you.

Wow I didn't know they were that hated. Makes sense though since thats what most noobs probably pick.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks but 90% of the time, I'm facing either one of them. Online play is basically saturated with them. Makes matches boring.

I'm not sure what everyone else thinks but 90% of the time, I'm facing either one of them. Online play is basically saturated with them. Makes matches boring.

I haven't seen any yet but I probably will.

I think my biggest problem is that I'm terrible with combos. I'm just going to deflect my poor skills and blame it on years of Mortal Kombat :p.

rocK`

Banned
Can someone test something for me? if you have the 360 version, can you go into training mode and continuously wave dash with kazuya (qcf x2 then keep qcf'ing), do you notice a shit ton of slowdown when that happens?

You can also just try dashing constantly and see if you get it. I'll try to get a video of what I'm seeing, but I want to make sure it's just not me.

bump-ish, really wanna see if its just me...

Top Bottom