• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

nHDR

Banned
Bah, have to wait so long for the new characters. I'll be moving in the Fall so I won't even be able to try them 'til Christmas. So wait, does this mean we're getting ALL the alt costumes April 3rd?

"so does rolento have any weaknesses outside of a rekka cross counter? i mean, the guy can just not do a rekka"

Low damage, no real mixups, cross ups.

Revven

Two and a half weeks for colors ;_;

Give me zem nowwwww

I mean, all the colors are on the disc so I don't understand why they're keeping us waiting...? Kinda stupid.

Glad to hear they're aware of the infinites discovered (then again, how could they not be?) The fact we have to wait two weeks though for any patch is annoying, and potentially even longer for the sound issue to hopefully be fixed (it sounds like their potential fix, the way they worded it, may not even work). =\

Really sucks.

LegatoB

How was he being disrespectful? He let him have his victory, right? I could see if he quit on him, but he didn't.
It's no better if his opponent wanted to actually play the game, and not just get +1 to his win record.

And he didn't say it was the matchup that was giving him trouble. He said there was just a big skill gap. Believe it or not, everybody doesn't learn by getting their face pounded in by someone leagues above them.
He claimed that the Urien player was "tier-whoring" well before he started talking about the skill gap. Suggests to me that he has a lot more trouble with the matchup than the player.

Getting beaten -- badly -- happens when you play competitive games. Especially if you're playing in random lobbies/ranked matches online. You need to approach it with an open attitude: even if you are getting blown up, you need to keep your cool and try your best. Even if you know you can't win the match, you can still learn something about your character's tools, or your opponent's tactics, move properties, etc., and put that to use next time. If nothing else, you can work on how to keep your cool under pressure, even against much stronger opponents.

Respect your opponents, even if they're mean ol' tier-whoring jerks. They're here to play with other people. If they wanted a sandbag, they'd stay in training mode.

nHDR

Banned
According to my calculations, the costume packs will only include the first alt for each character. That means Crapcom will be releasing yet ANOTHER alt combo pack for ANOTHER $26.

SO:

$52.00 for 2 alts for each character.
$20.00 for characters.

Possible total cost for each alt for DLC characters: $24.00

Sooooo, you're looking at $96.00 for all the DLC. In addition to the game, which is $60, that means a total of $156.00.

Venfayth

It's no better if his opponent wanted to actually play the game, and not just get +1 to his win record.

He claimed that the Urien player was "tier-whoring" well before he started talking about the skill gap. Suggests to me that he has a lot more trouble with the matchup than the player.

Getting beaten -- badly -- happens when you play competitive games. Especially if you're playing in random lobbies/ranked matches online. You need to approach it with an open attitude: even if you are getting blown up, you need to keep your cool and try your best. Even if you know you can't win the match, you can still learn something about your character's tools, or your opponent's tactics, move properties, etc., and put that to use next time. If nothing else, you can work on how to keep your cool under pressure, even against much stronger opponents.

Respect your opponents, even if they're mean ol' tier-whoring jerks. They're here to play with other people. If they wanted a sandbag, they'd stay in training mode.

There are people who have no qualms crushing some newbie in to the ground 60 times in a row. The other person is basically a sandbag at that point. Jus' sayin.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I wonder if they were always planning on the gems being free, or if it's free due to the recent backlash.

Making the gems free would probably be the smallest loss to incur of all possible choices, so I'd suspect it is a reaction to the controversy.

However, I do wonder if the free gems will just be the pre-order / special edition gem sets. I've no problem with that, it'd be the fastest way to get everyone up to speed with the same gem sets.

zlatko

Banned
I even thought about putting in Urien's throw to my list. But that's a bit less annoying cause it actually requires them to move forward into harms way.

I want to thank zlatko and Rice-Eater for their Kazuya advice. Confirm into slaughterhook c.fp ex slaughterhook and followup is my new "go to" combo. Next up, learn how to tag cancel someone in. It looks like slaughterhook into c.hp into his whirlwind kick (whatever it's called) is the way to go without risking mist step input error.

Ooh, DLC info.

No problem. It's a bit rough on knowing when to cancel from him to someone else imo. That's why he's so strong as the second and comeback character and not the point, unless your 2nd is Hugo or some shit lol.

Most of the time I just tag cancel him out during a hook animation if it was unsafe or I just need to get him out. As far as tagging him out for someone else for more damage I've found I can always get more damage just leaving him in and finishing a combo, rather then spending a bar for someone else. I mean if I have 1 meter it's going to ex hook. If I have 2 bars, it's going to super. If I have 3 it's going to ex hook and a super, or a cross art.

I think I saw you on SRK in the Paul threads right? You still running him?

I tried to log into SRK from work, but it never works. I wanted to put in the Paul thread his fantastic option select on peoples wake up. Stand at the range where sweep would reach them, hit down back(or is it downforward?) + HK. If they stand up and don't block low, boom sweep. If they block you are safe thanks to the range. Now if they opt to roll, you will do Paul's command normal to the side they rolled to, and you can do HP HP follow up. If it hits, great free knock down again and nice damage. If they block, the HP HP follow up is I think -3, put also does great push back, so that once again it shouldn't be punishable.

It's one of my favorite tolls to use with him on people who like to roll a lot on wake up.

BHK3

Banned

I already stated that I meant the tier whoring thing in a more general sense, plus I don't agree with the tier list at all. Dudley is good but I would to see what puts him under people like yun or chun li, Urien is a very powerful character and I said in that post that most uriens I fight kick the shit out of me. BUT, the difference with them is that I was able to fight back but with this guy I wasn't. The point of my story was what he did AFTER the match, which you seemed to have completely missed. No where did I disrespect him, no where did I say I sent him a message calling him a tier-whoring bitch, I let him have his win and move on. You need to acknowledge that nothing is learned when a skill gap is that great. I didn't ragequit, I acknowledged his skill and accepted the loss, there's a difference.

On more recent news, I don't see how infinites like pacmans and turos could happen. They seem incredibly easy to do so I don't know how they could have been shipped, while with Kazuyas I see it more as a innocent oversight thing.

Grifter

None really. All the combos are pretty much just grind time in training mode. Being able to do them doesn't show that you have a propensity to out think your opponent, just means that you have more time to waste on aspects not related to the metagame. A truly honest game would be a game where combos don't take a chunk of time to practice, because then the main factor that will differentiate players isn't who has more spare hours to slave away to repetition, but rather who is actually you know...the better player.

Thanks for taking that. My tolerance for long combos (bathroom breaks), both the grinding and mid-game waiting, have been zapped at this point and that's part of my enjoyment of Cross thus far.

As for XIII, those input helpers sound like they can get annoying like SF4 but I'll try them next time. To me, Alpha and MvC had the best fuzzy detection.

Sblargh

Banned
Anyone who says this game needs more damage shall become my mortal enemy. Forever. Sick of Kazuya taking half my life off a jab.

Also, whoever say people block too much. Yeah, I'll stop blocking with all these safe strings that leads to 400 damage.

Jenga

Banned
who the fuck are these people who play laggy shotos anyways?

I always imagine some misshapen teenager with a lazy eye behind the j.hk and srk spam

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So I realized I cannot get links or cancels down in this game. It's the same reason that I didn't play SSFIV much. I really want to get into this game but after spending almost an hour trying to connect Asuka's s. RH to Upkicks and failing, I'm kind of sad. :(

Any tips? The only fighting game I really got into was UMvC3, and I thought I was doing combos just fine but I guess cancels were much easier in that game?

If it's not coming out then you're not doing it fast enough. Make sure to buffer the motion while the s.HK is coming out and press the button as soon as the s.HK connects.

Thanks for taking that. My tolerance for long combos (bathroom breaks), both the grinding and mid-game waiting, have been zapped at this point and that's part of my enjoyment of Cross thus far.

As for XIII, those input helpers sound like they can get annoying like SF4 but I'll try them next time. To me, Alpha and MvC had the best fuzzy detection.

Yeah, SFxT seems pretty good in that you can bust out some bug-crazy combos for style or to squeeze out that extra little bit of damage. But you still have access to much easier combos that don't require the training room grind for like 90% of the damage of the really difficult ones due to the engine and damage scaling. All fighting games require tactics and execution and it my time so far with SFxT it seems far more scaled to the tactics side, which I like.

Jenga

Banned
Anyone who says this game needs more damage shall become my mortal enemy. Forever. Sick of Kazuya taking half my life off a jab.

Also, whoever say people block too much. Yeah, I'll stop blocking with all these safe strings that leads to 400 damage.

the same people fine with that are the ones fine with infinites

FGC has a lot of tolerance for a lot of balance issues

"what's that? the top tier character has an infinite? don't whine about it scrubs! it's part of the game!"

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why doesn't SRK put their podcasts on itunes? Am I missing something? Good lord.

blame skisonic. At some point he said something about not liking itunes on the podcast. It is super annoying that they don't have it on iTunes.

I want to subscribe to it. If they want listeners they should get their shit together and have it on itunes.

"Also, whoever say people block too much. Yeah, I'll stop blocking with all these safe strings that leads to 400 damage."

People aren't saying people block too much, specifically, only that the game lets people be too passive in their defense. It's a two player game.

"the same people fine with that are the ones fine with infinites "

No, they're not. The attempted connection is idiotic at best.

"what's that? the top tier character has an infinite? don't whine about it scrubs! it's part of the game!"

Mostly the people that have Stockholm Syndrome from MVC2.

LakeEarth

No problem. It's a bit rough on knowing when to cancel from him to someone else imo. That's why he's so strong as the second and comeback character and not the point, unless your 2nd is Hugo or some shit lol.

Most of the time I just tag cancel him out during a hook animation if it was unsafe or I just need to get him out. As far as tagging him out for someone else for more damage I've found I can always get more damage just leaving him in and finishing a combo, rather then spending a bar for someone else. I mean if I have 1 meter it's going to ex hook. If I have 2 bars, it's going to super. If I have 3 it's going to ex hook and a super, or a cross art.

It isn't so much about more damage, it's more about tagging him out safely. I think that tagging a lot is a crux of this game, having your characters constantly replenishing their health instead of waiting until you're down to 20% and getting back up to 40% once. I raw tag way too much.

I think I saw you on SRK in the Paul threads right? You still running him?

I tried to log into SRK from work, but it never works. I wanted to put in the Paul thread his fantastic option select on peoples wake up. Stand at the range where sweep would reach them, hit down back(or is it downforward?) + HK. If they stand up and don't block low, boom sweep. If they block you are safe thanks to the range. Now if they opt to roll, you will do Paul's command normal to the side they rolled to, and you can do HP HP follow up. If it hits, great free knock down again and nice damage. If they block, the HP HP follow up is I think -3, put also does great push back, so that once again it shouldn't be punishable.

It's one of my favorite tolls to use with him on people who like to roll a lot on wake up.
Yeah, Kazuya/Paul or Kazuya/Hugo. I like Paul, but I'm still having secondary character identity crisis. Thanks for the tips.

zlatko

Banned

And yet SC5 comes out, and they ban Devil Jin simply because they couldn't just say, "Okay, take each console before the tournament starts, pick make a character, jin, medium build, normal proportion, random clothes." Woah 5-10 seconds and he's now tourney viable, and you ONLY have to do it once for the entire tournament's remainder?

Goly gee mister that's too hard to do. Ban him please.

Grifter

Any Julia players have a solid gameplan for approaching? I'm starting and all I know is fishing with c.MK for a cancel and looking for chances to cross-up to the jab, jab, MK/MP.

blame skisonic. At some point he said something about not liking itunes on the podcast. It is super annoying that they don't have it on iTunes.

I want to subscribe to it. If they want listeners they should get their shit together and have it on itunes.

Yea, I want to subscribe too. More convenient. I wonder what reason he has to dislike itunes. Probably something weird and ski-like.

zlatko

Banned
It isn't so much about more damage, it's more about tagging him out safely. I think that tagging a lot is a crux of this game, having your characters constantly replenishing their health instead of waiting until you're down to 20% and getting back up to 40% once. I raw tag way too much.

Yeah, Kazuya/Paul or Kazuya/Hugo. I like Paul, but I'm still having secondary character identity crisis. Thanks for the tips.

I like the meter personally to use as FADC. That way I can take some big risk with Kazuya, and if it isn't panning out, just spend the 1 bar to safely bring in my team mate. I rarely have an issue of just getting him out when I want by creating space.

So while the s.HK is coming out, I do the qcf motion?

Yeah it's a cancel. All moves have 3 stages of animation; start up, active, recovery. Cancelling *cancels* out the recovery (aka the part of the animation after the hit connects) so you have to input the special move during the recovery.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So while the s.HK is coming out, I do the qcf motion?

It's not a QCF motion, it's a DP motion (forward, down, down-forward). But yes, you want to be pressing the button for her Upkicks the same time that the s.HK hits your opponent on screen. This is how all cancels work, including both specials and chains. :)

Jenga

Banned
what's worse than a laggy shoto?

a laggy mishima

that's right, you're gonna get mix upped by a retard and there's nothing you can do about it

Ken

It's not a QCF motion, it's a DP motion (forward, down, down-forward). But yes, you want to be pressing the button for her Upkicks the same time that the s.HK hits your opponent on screen.

Oh yeah, DP motion. My bad.

Yeah it's a cancel. All moves have 3 stages of animation; start up, active, recovery. Cancelling *cancels* out the recovery (aka the part of the animation after the hit connects) so you have to input the special move during the recovery.

That makes a lot of sense now. Thanks.

CPS2

Gotta love all the strawman arguments that constantly pop up.

"Any Julia players have a solid gameplan for approaching? I'm starting and all I know is fishing with c.MK for a cancel and looking for chances to cross-up to the jab, jab, MK/MP."

I do mountain crusher xx dash cancel party crasher or wind roll mixup.

Don't forget party crasher by itself has quite a long range and you can actually kara it for a even more range. f.mk gives a massive hit stun on counter hit (35 frames) and has decent range, so you can poke with that as well.

Jenga

Banned
And yet SC5 comes out, and they ban Devil Jin simply because they couldn't just say, "Okay, take each console before the tournament starts, pick make a character, jin, medium build, normal proportion, random clothes." Woah 5-10 seconds and he's now tourney viable, and you ONLY have to do it once for the entire tournament's remainder?

Goly gee mister that's too hard to do. Ban him please.

isn't sc5 a glorified character creator

Top Bottom