• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't think you're suppose to, really XD 388 / 397 with the sweep at the very end after the Oni-kick is about the highest, but again, this is all meterless.

Add meter to getting those EX sweep throws + anti-air throws into sweep, and a personal "but I really wanna use super!" method is to remember that you might as well take her personal combo style as far as you can before actually landing super after chains.. So while many characters would do (Jump HP, L,M,H, Super), Asuka should be pulling (Jump HP, MP,LP,MP,LK,MK,d.MP,HK,Super)

She's such a mistress of positioning, too. Safe tag-ins off heavy specials, gaining ground bounces or wall bounces for combos, straight lengthy chaining into free tag combos (after building meter through stupid-long normal combos for re-call-in continuation), etc...

She might not be as directly powerful as a Hugo or Marduk, but she can sap SO much away from people with just 1 combo + successful mixup, I find it quite satisfying.

Mind sharing the 397 meterless combo :p? It's meterless, but Asuka doesn't really seem to have much use for meter outside of tag cancels or EX Sweep Throw. I never really use her Super. I'd prefer if I could juggle into it more consistently rather than cancel a chain into it. I'll definitely try out the string you suggested, so thanks!

Her anti-air throw seems so useless with the amount of startup on it. I haven't tried the ex version just because the regular version seems so bad outside of combos.

I'm still not used to the juggle system in this game. It seems like I exhaust my juggles without optimizing. For example, how do wallbounces play into things? Does it reset any juggle potential? So should I be using her EX moves to get wallbounces? I don't even know what moves she has that do groundbounces, or how I should be going into them. At this point, and I'm admittedly fresh, I just don't see her mix-up potential, so I'm looking for help.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mind sharing the 397 meterless combo :p? It's meterless, but Asuka doesn't really seem to have much use for meter outside of tag cancels or EX Sweep Throw. I never really use her Super. I'd prefer if I could juggle into it more consistently rather than cancel a chain into it. I'll definitely try out the string you suggested, so thanks!

Her anti-air throw seems so useless with the amount of startup on it. I haven't tried the ex version just because the regular version seems so bad outside of combos.

I'm still not used to the juggle system in this game. It seems like I exhaust my juggles without optimizing. For example, how do wallbounces play into things? Does it reset any juggle potential? So should I be using her EX moves to get wallbounces? I don't even know what moves she has that do groundbounces, or how I should be going into them. At this point, and I'm admittedly fresh, I just don't see her mix-up potential, so I'm looking for help.

I *think* it's 397, it's the (Jump HP, MP,LP,MP,LK, Double upkicks, jump HK, ground HK, Oni-kick, Sweep) combo. The way to land the sweep afterwards seems to be to get the ground HK at the end as low as you can, so you can sweep the aerial opponenet RIGHT before the hit the ground.

Her groundbounce / bound / bind /floorsplat (whatever you wanna call it) is her Fwrd+HP overhead. In that combo above, when you get to the "double upkicks", you can do the overhead right after it, grounding them into whatever (BUT super or team super).

Her EX AA throw actually has invincibility on it. So if you're able to predict with it, it can easily ground someone annoying like Rufus, and you get an extra sweep (as in down+HK, if I'm not clear on that part) after the AA throw (even on the normal version!) It's also pretty easy to combo into her AA throw from an air hit, just make sure to hit them with a normal that gets you close, and make sure they're kinda close to your body when you start it.

Truthfully, I haven't made much use of her wallcounce either. It's best to keep it in mind for eveutual Pandora combos. Above combo into EX Wallbounce into Tag cancel COULD work well for you, if you wanna experiment. Also, her EX wallbounce -> well timed super is the most "sure" way to combo into it (I think the timing is after the wallbounce?) I don't use it much, because if I was using 3 meters, I'd just use team super... (which I personally do after the premium combo above, but cancel the "ground HK" into the Cross Assault.) Not saying that's the BEST, btw, that's just my favorite way to do it :)

Asuka's Mixups come from long hit confirms, a decent poke with stand medium K -> cround MP (which can be cancelled), as well as the df+HK sweep series (A nice low-hitting suprise), and 2 overheads (f+mp, which can be linked out of for combo, and f+HK, which can be followed up with a sweep, or an EX AA throw into Sweep. Or partner tag cancel). If they start turtling, EX sweep throw! And of course, counters on top of all this, when they start wanting to punch you.

f+LK (anywhere near or above you), crouch MP (far jumps), EX AA throw (really close jumps, and even those behind you!), and neutral jump MK (predictive meet-in-the-air jumps) are all solid anti-airs.

The games juggle system is odd, and better explained elsewhere. My best tips are that Wallbounce doesn't reset anything, it's mostly just a way to open up to other things you don't get otherwise (like enough space to set up something that takes some time). Ground Bounce is REALLY pretty open (they bounce higher than they look, so you can use standing moves, such as EX Exorsizer of stand MK on a bouncing opponent), and stretch combos pretty well with it. Using meter to tag in the partner is the REAL way to extend combos, but it has diminishing damage returns (and increasing timer-scam returns...)

Anything else I'm still experimenting with myself, sooo... hope some of that helps:)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I *think* it's 397, it's the (Jump HP, MP,LP,MP,LK, Double upkicks, jump HK, ground HK, Oni-kick, Sweep) combo. The way to land the sweep afterwards seems to be to get the ground HK at the end as low as you can, so you can sweep the aerial opponenet RIGHT before the hit the ground.

It definitely does help. Thanks! Your 397 combo is my exact bnb actually, hah, except I don't add in the sweep at the end, and I do a c.MK instead of a s.HK. I usually try to cross cancel the Oni-Kick into partner juggle, but I don't know what to juggle into, honestly. I'm still way way early in the experimental stage.

Her groundbounce / bound / bind /floorsplat (whatever you wanna call it) is her Fwrd+HP overhead. In that combo above, when you get to the "double upkicks", you can do the overhead right after it, grounding them into whatever (BUT super or team super).

You mean her F+HK? I didn't know her DP juggled into her F+HP. I'm wondering if you can get anything off of that besides a sweep. Definitely something worth trying, but I'm guessing it doesn't do great damage considering that you don't use it for your bnb.

Her EX AA throw actually has invincibility on it. So if you're able to predict with it, it can easily ground someone annoying like Rufus, and you get an extra sweep (as in down+HK, if I'm not clear on that part) after the AA throw (even on the normal version!) It's also pretty easy to combo into her AA throw from an air hit, just make sure to hit them with a normal that gets you close, and make sure they're kinda close to your body when you start it.

Maybe I should use it more often. I'm still getting used to her hitboxes at this point. Her AA throw outside of combos is largely worthless from what I can tell, unless there is an extremely telegraphed jump at the right distance. The hitbox isn't even that good for catching jumping opponents in the corner, though the EX version I'm sure is a different story.

Truthfully, I haven't made much use of her wallcounce either. It's best to keep it in mind for eveutual Pandora combos. Above combo into EX Wallbounce into Tag cancel COULD work well for you, if you wanna experiment. Also, her EX wallbounce -> well timed super is the most "sure" way to combo into it (I think the timing is after the wallbounce?) I don't use it much, because if I was using 3 meters, I'd just use team super... (which I personally do after the premium combo above, but cancel the "ground HK" into the Cross Assault.) Not saying that's the BEST, btw, that's just my favorite way to do it :)

Yeah, I do the same thing, actually, but at that point the scaling is pretty bad. In fact, doing a double cross tag might be a more efficient use of meter (cross cancel into c.MK xx Tatsu, cross cancel into s.MK xx Falling Sky, Sweep). Haven't tested it though, so it's just speculation.

Asuka's Mixups come from long hit confirms, a decent poke with stand medium K -> cround MP (which can be cancelled), as well as the df+HK sweep series (A nice low-hitting suprise), and 2 overheads (f+mp, which can be linked out of for combo, and f+HK, which can be followed up with a sweep, or an EX AA throw into Sweep. Or partner tag cancel). If they start turtling, EX sweep throw! And of course, counters on top of all this, when they start wanting to punch you.

f+LK (anywhere near or above you), crouch MP (far jumps), EX AA throw (really close jumps, and even those behind you!), and neutral jump MK (predictive meet-in-the-air jumps) are all solid anti-airs.

I can try s.MK as a poke. I don't know if I've given it a fair shake. But DF+HK sweeps are horribly unsafe and really slow to start. What can I link into off of the f.MP? I have trouble maintaining pressure just because she doesn't really seem like she has many frame traps. I've been trying to incorporate more of her Oni-Kick into combos since I know it's misleadingly safe on block.

Thanks for the anti-air advice. Honestly, that's something that I've had a hard time with using her.

J.HP - S. RH - Upkicks - J. RH - S.RH - Ender. There you go, at least 450 damage no meter.

Wow, scaling really fucks with the bnb. Just substituting standing roundhouse for the ground string adds 60 damage? Thanks. I can use this instead of what I was doing before after a cancel tag.

They should put T-factor in this game. Hit all 6 buttons and your character automatically crouches and blocks, taking no chip, no block push, invulnerable to overheads, and can't move or attack for 20 seconds.

Mileena

Banned
They should put T-factor in this game. Hit all 6 buttons and your character automatically crouches and blocks, taking no chip, no block push, invulnerable to overheads, and can't move or attack for 20 seconds.
No. Put all the scrubby brainless shit in Marvel and keep it out of good games, thx :)

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
lol, these "combos" in the trials are pointless, same in SF4 - I think one of Hakan's was LP,LP,LP,LK - when you're oiled up! Oh, the damage! Thanks Capcom, that's so helpful and sure to beat Ryu's easymode stuff - solar plexus, HP, EX Tatsu, DP, EX DP or however it goes.

If they want to aim games at a more casual audience, they should explain things like the difference between links/cancels etc and provide some examples of decent bnb combos rather than the LP,LP,LP,cr.LK,LK stuff. I have a feeling they don't want to explain this kind of thing to keep it a little more 'in the know'.

Honestly that's what I've been thinking too. Especially after reading this quote from Aris at Cross Assault:

“The beauty of the fighting game community, and you should know this - it’s based around not being welcome. That’s the beauty of it. That’s the key essence of it. When you walk into an arcade for the first time, nobody likes you.”

Yeah, no, fuck you, and fuck anyone who thinks like this. It seems to me like a lot of the FGC wants to remain insular. Like they've got their own little thing going and they're really good at it and they don't want anyone else getting good at it. And Capcom is certainly helping them there by not providing decent tutorials and training modes in their games, and I seriously am starting to suspect that they're doing it on purpose.

That justifies nothing. All that does is add grind hours and a barrier of entry to the metagame. Also.....most of the kof CC's are piss easy to do lol, and almost all characters get easy ass hit confirms into them as well.

Yeah, lets see you do it in a match. You make it seems like its as brain dead as x-factor. Im not saying they are hard, but you seem to be the all talk type.

Any guides up on the net yet with good combos?
I went looking for a "basics" on Hwoarang, because I can't wrap my mind around how to use him effectively and the SFxT wiki on SRK was lacking in this regard.

Also, I'm having trouble picking characters. :(
I wanted to use Jin and Hwoarang but I'm pretty horrible at execution and can't do jack with either.

Currently using the following pool: Juri, Claw, Akuma, Ken, Raven

Anyone have suggestions for how to follow a launcher when Claw comes in? I suppose you could chain into an EX something, but I'd also like to have a standard go to juggle for him that doesn't waste meter.

BHK3

Banned
Yeah, no, fuck you, and fuck anyone who thinks like this. It seems to me like a lot of the FGC wants to remain insular. Like they've got their own little thing going and they're really good at it and they don't want anyone else getting good at it. And Capcom is certainly helping them there by not providing decent tutorials and training modes in their games, and I seriously am starting to suspect that they're doing it on purpose.

I lost against a guy in 3rd strike a few months back named StreetFighterGod. He was a urien player and I quickly knew I wasn't going to win against him so I just stood there motionless and took the loss. I know some will argue telling me to fight back but I'm not gonna fight a tier-whore, maybe he actually liked urien but I don't and every urien I fight kicks my ass pretty easily, plus you don't register that kind of name unless you have some sort of skill.

After the match he sent me a message calling me an asshole and everything that was wrong with the FGC. I asked what I did wrong and he lectured me about fighting back, gave examples like "you don't play football if you know you're gonna lose, you have to tough through it sometimes" or some garbage nonsense like that. What Aris said is right, I don't like it but I stuck with the FGC because I like the games, even though the community nearly drove me out when I was just getting in. There is something seriously wrong if the best way to play a games multiplayer, is with friends because this kind of shit doesn't happen. Driving people away, hating new players just because and basically being negative about everything they do is borderline retarded.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
SKill said:
News re: SFxT w/ free DLC, patches, etc coming this morning from @Capcom_Unity. Buckle up!
My guess : Free color DLC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I lost against a guy in 3rd strike a few months back named StreetFighterGod. He was a urien player and I quickly knew I wasn't going to win against him so I just stood there motionless and took the loss. I know some will argue telling me to fight back but I'm not gonna fight a tier-whore, maybe he actually liked urien but I don't and every urien I fight kicks my ass pretty easily, plus you don't register that kind of name unless you have some sort of skill.

After the match he sent me a message calling me an asshole and everything that was wrong with the FGC. I asked what I did wrong and he lectured me about fighting back, gave examples like "you don't play football if you know you're gonna lose, you have to tough through it sometimes" or some garbage nonsense like that. What Aris said is right, I don't like it but I stuck with the FGC because I like the games, even though the community nearly drove me out when I was just getting in. There is something seriously wrong if the best way to play a games multiplayer, is with friends because this kind of shit doesn't happen. Driving people away, hating new players just because and basically being negative about everything they do is borderline retarded.

I don't get this mentality. Nobody drove you out, and you're being presumptuous in assuming he's a tier-whore. Would you have rather the guy sandbagged on you? Let you get a few hits in before he demolished you (the equivalent of taking pity on you)?

The guy's better than you, and he was understandably offended when you decided to just stand around. You didn't show him respect, so why should he do the same for you? It's not like you were a new player, trying his hardest, then you get an XBL message calling you a "scrub" or something. THAT is the worst part of the fighting game community.

LowParry

The guy's better than you, and he was understandably offended when you decided to just stand around. You didn't show him respect, so why should he do the same for you?

That's how I am online or offline with those who are just plain out better than me. Fight for your life. I mean hell, I feel pretty damn good if I can get a few rounds in because of my tactics. And to be honest, if I could fight that said person 100 rounds and only win 5 of them? Fine by me. I learn a hella lot with that kind of play. Recognizing my own bad habits. Trying new methods of attack and defense. In the end, I had a lot of fun with it.

Mileena

Banned

Urien isn't tier.

wut?

Grifter

Does wall bounce cause a loss of juggle potential? I was trying Ryu's combos off a tag and the joudan bounce seems to void follow-ups.

BHK3

Banned
I don't get this mentality. Nobody drove you out, and you're being presumptuous in assuming he's a tier-whore. Would you have rather the guy sandbagged on you? Let you get a few hits in before he demolished you (the equivalent of taking pity on you)?

The guy's better than you, and he was understandably offended when you decided to just stand around. You didn't show him respect, so why should he do the same for you? It's not like you were a new player, trying his hardest, then you get an XBL message calling you a "scrub" or something. THAT is the worst part of the fighting game community.

I did try to fight in the first round, there was a clear skill difference, so I said eh and stood there. When I started out in SF2HDR a few years back, all I got called was scrub left and right. I didn't have much help aside from youtube videos, there was no way for me to get in. I understand that it's just a old game with fresh coating so there isn't much help but it didn't change in street fighter IV, or Super. I would go onto forums asking for some tips and just getting told "get better, stop sucking". I used sites like eventhubs and stuff like that a lot but I kinda got a little tired of resorting to a guide every 2 attacks because the enemy used something new.

When I fight against a new player, I don't use all my meter, cancelling out into attacks to extend my combo against a player who most likely never seen this before. I start using very simple attacks, something they can learn against, going all out teaches nothing, at all. I'm not asking for the guy to sandbag me or only his hands with no kicks, I'm saying the little message he sent to me was far from necessary, what he did was worse then call me a scrub.

I stood there knowing I was going to lose no matter what so might as well make it quick so I can move on, but then saying I should stop playing fighting games and I'm polluting the community? That's about as ego filled and dick headed as his name.

Ken

So I realized I cannot get links or cancels down in this game. It's the same reason that I didn't play SSFIV much. I really want to get into this game but after spending almost an hour trying to connect Asuka's s. RH to Upkicks and failing, I'm kind of sad. :(

Any tips? The only fighting game I really got into was UMvC3, and I thought I was doing combos just fine but I guess cancels were much easier in that game?

KoF is unplayable online, so nah :)
Whether or not a fighting game is legit has nothing to do with netcode. That is a big bonus for the game on a regular level, but it doesn't mean anything when it comes to legitimate gameplay and good mechanics. This is why they call KOF "real honest fighting".

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hey, I'm just tired of seeing the black and white colored characters. I'm curious to see what else that's coming. And I really love this game. Despite it's flaws.
Ha no i meant Capcom.
They put a custom color edit option without colors!

Jenga

Banned
Any guides up on the net yet with good combos?
I went looking for a "basics" on Hwoarang, because I can't wrap my mind around how to use him effectively and the SFxT wiki on SRK was lacking in this regard.

Also, I'm having trouble picking characters. :(
I wanted to use Jin and Hwoarang but I'm pretty horrible at execution and can't do jack with either.

are you familiar with adon in ssf4? basically the same game plan

but with dive kicks

and safe as fuck footsies

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I did try to fight in the first round, there was a clear skill difference, so I said eh and stood there. When I started out in SF2HDR a few years back, all I got called was scrub left and right. I didn't have much help aside from youtube videos, there was no way for me to get in. I understand that it's just a old game with fresh coating so there isn't much help but it didn't change in street fighter IV, or Super. I would go onto forums asking for some tips and just getting told "get better, stop sucking". I used sites like eventhubs and stuff like that a lot but I kinda got a little tired of resorting to a guide every 2 attacks because the enemy used something new.

When I fight against a new player, I don't use all my meter, cancelling out into attacks to extend my combo against a player who most likely never seen this before. I start using very simple attacks, something they can learn against, going all out teaches nothing, at all. I'm not asking for the guy to sandbag me or only his hands with no kicks, I'm saying the little message he sent to me was far from necessary, what he did was worse then call me a scrub.

I stood there knowing I was going to lose no matter what so might as well make it quick so I can move on, but then saying I should stop playing fighting games and I'm polluting the community? That's about as ego filled and dick headed as his name.

The kind of considerations you're talking about for new players seems more like the kind of thing that would be arranged in a casual player room set up for people to learn. It just seems expecting that kind of consideration out of a random guy is unrealistic.

And while the guy may have gotten overly salty about what you did, and while the FGC does legitimately have some attitude problems, I can't help but see something from his side: people who have a genuine, authentic "scrub" mentality (in the true meaning of the term) do annoy people in the FGC all the time. The guys who get mad when they lose and say "you're just a tier whore lame asshole because you won so easily" and other warped backwards rationalizations like that.

Grifter

Whether or not a fighting game is legit has nothing to do with netcode. That is a big bonus for the game on a regular level, but it doesn't mean anything when it comes to legitimate gameplay and good mechanics. This is why they call KOF "real honest fighting".

How honest is dropping a full character in minute-long 1P combos? Meter or not.

zlatko

Banned
Will the free DLC be available today, or are they just going to tell us when it is coming?

I'd like to be able to color some shit blue since it's my favorite color. :(

SUPARSTARX

I hope it's at least a dozen colors.

edit: for the Lei fans... gonna slowly drop in his frame data later on. So bookmark / save the doc link if you're interested.

Top Bottom