• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

LowParry

Kuma does stupid good damage and his combos are like braindead easy but getting in and keeping out can be a hassle. You'll get close to 400 off ground combos without using meter, and more if you throw in jump-ins/supers. Issue would be landing it.

The really weird thing about Kuma is when you get knocked down and you having to guess if they're jumping over you or in front of you. Kuma's size really throws me off and I guess wrong at times when to block. No way am I giving him up but when I get a couple of games where I can't win with him, I'll make the switch to Vega.

Shouta

EX Frolicking Bear (I think that's the name of it, HSB+K) is a pretty decent anti-air and "get off of me" move. He has a few other AA options but a few are tricky and the netcode makes it a bit harder to use them on reaction.

Sayah

I got all the gold trophies in this game. Been playing this waaay too much. :/
Also gave a happy bday to someone twice in one match which allowed me to win. Made me so happy. I sent a message saying "happy b-day :)" and I got a reply back saying "it's not my birthday bro." lol

Grand Master?
Master?
A: ???
B+: ???
B: 5,000 BP
C+: 2,500 BP
C: 1,000 BP
D+: 500 BP ( I think )
D: 0 BP

I'm currently at C+. Keep shifting back and forth between 2200-2500.

Imm0rt4l

I got all the gold trophies in this game. Been playing this waaay too much. :/
Also gave a happy bday to someone twice in one match which allowed me to win. Made me so happy. I sent a message saying "happy b-day :)" and I got a reply back saying "it's not my birthday bro." lol

I'm currently at C+. Keep shifting back and forth between 2200-2500.

you'll remain there so long as you don't fall beyond a certain threshold to which you will drop in rank

nowai

One thing I'd like to know before I quit and sell all my fighting games/controllers/guides. How long did it take some of you to get to the point that you considered yourself "good"? How long did you have to practice? And did you have fun doing it? What motivated you to keep going?

Main thing that will help is having some people to play offline and level up with.

I'd suggest starting off with a very accessible character like Ryu or any of the shotos.

Don't worry about fancy combos at all when you're starting off. Knowing your characters normal moves are key to mastering a SF game. Knowing your normal's frame data, hit/hurt boxes, range, priority and juggle properties will do a lot more for you in the long run then practicing a fancy combo in training mode. Once you go to a real match, you'll just be focused on that combo and won't understand how to actually setup the combo.

The main SF series and SFxT are heavily focused on footsies. This is where the normal move knowledge will reign supreme. In SFxT for example, all of Ryu's crouching normals are special move cancelable...even his cr.HK.

If you have the guide, all the info you'll need is in there. If you don't, I'd recommend going into training mode choose to fight against Ryu and record the dummy performing a cr.MK. This is very good poke for Ryu and you'll want to know what beats it. Then with the dummy in playback try your normals and see what beats it. If you can shut someone down from a footsies game, you'll win. Period.

Repeat this with other characters and often used pokes. Once you're comfortable with your normals, go play some matches only using normals so you can get a feel for them. Their priority, what juggles etc. You're looking to get a really good fundamental feel for how the normals work in game.

After you can do well with normals watch videos, read guides etc and pick ONE easy combo. I can't stress this enough, don't try to learn everything at once. Pick something VERY easy like Ryu's cr.mk > hado. This is about as easy as it gets and it's quite good. With your knowledge of how to actually land your normals in a real match, try using cr.mk > hado in some real matches. Only that combo and other normals. You'll want the basic bread and butter combos to be second nature when you play. If you're ever consciously thinking about normals and BnBs, you're not ready for more advance tactics.

tl;dr. Focus on the basics. Normal moves and one or two very easy combos. Once these things are second nature, THEN worry about the rest.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
GG man,

I know but when I'm not playing in a tourney, it's a lot more fun. Sitting back the entire time is pretty boring so eh, why not. Besides, If I stopped jumping, you would've just poked me to death with Ogre. I can't block stuff very well with this netcode so I don't bother unless I need to create a bit of breathing room. Neither Kuma nor Law have particularly good pokes either. So bad netcode + trying to win in a battle that's not very winnable means I'm just gonna attack as much as possible.

Yeah gg's I kept fucking up my inputs on counters mid way through and ate hella damage haha. Fucking law builds A SHIT TON OF METER, that damn multi punch almost builds a bar alone o.o

Shouta

Yeah gg's I kept fucking up my inputs on counters mid way through and ate hella damage haha. Fucking law builds A SHIT TON OF METER, that damn multi punch almost builds a bar alone o.o

Aha, yeah. Inputs on counters get messed up bad online as well so it can be tough.

Law's punch is like his setup for big damage everywhere. It's pretty buff shit.

Jenga

Banned
As the game progresses I can definitely see Yoshi move up from "absolute bottom worst than dan" tier. he really does have some dirty tricks, does decent damage and build up meter on point...and his incredibly unsafe specials are capcom's way of tell us "tag in tag in tag in tag in tag in"

i mean really, with tag ins he ain't bad at all. he'll find some use as the community gradually shifts from sf4 to sf4 team edition

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Alright, I think I'm over my latest meltdown. :lol Decided to venture into Ranked, which I had avoided due to...well, not wanting to get my ass beat, honestly, and after 15 matches I've got a 73.33% win rate. I think at least some of it yesterday was spin psyching me out. :lol "Oh I'm so free at this game lol". Yeah, shut up spin, you ain't free at shit. You wanna see free, play some of the people I've played on Ranked today. Hell, I'd say you're even better than the people who beat me today, with the possible exception of the Paul/Cole user I fought. Dude was ridiculous.

Also for some reason, a Paul/Cole team makes me think of Paula Cole. And that's never a good thing.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
might as well afk over a pointless match

Yeah. I've come across a couple Cole users today, and the only thing that goes through my mind is

iKsIj.jpg

Yeah. I've come across a couple Cole users today, and the only thing that goes through my mind is

Why?.jpg

Not everyone plays Tourneys or has that aspiration.

Or he may really like Infamous.

Only two explanations I can think of.

Also, for some godammned reason, Cole has overlapping inputs :/

Well, I'm out. This game isn't for me. All the chain combos and Tekken stuff is so alien to me, and I enjoy playing any character that pops up on random select, but this game is forcing me to stick with the same SF characters I know how to play, so it's just not fun. The amount of overhead/groundbounce stuff the Tekken characters have looks fun, but is way out of my comfort zone to play against or even perform.

Should've known really since MvC was a complete clusterfuck for me, but thought I'd give SFxT a chance any way, but it's more of the same style - I much more enjoy the more considered style of straight up SF.

Waiting for SF5 then!

Jenga

Banned
funny, for me all the tekken characters feel like sf characters with mixup friendly chain combos everywhere

the only character that really feels foreign in this game is steve fox

Jenga

Banned
there's two fighters i can't get mad at in this game

paul and marduk

paul because paul is cool

marduk because when he wins he sounds like someone out of anger management

it cracks me up every time

Sblargh

Banned
Man, when Capcom decides the property of some characters, they must separate them into tiers already.
"So let's make people like Kazuya who can jump in and do safe stuff that is very damaging and let's give him a cross up j.mk with awesome anti-air property and a good cr.hp as anti-air, but as Asuka, let's make her counter be a full half-circle motion so, your only advantage, that you can do it on reacton, be less of an advangage, and oh, let's make her sweep throw have ridiculous, almost non existent range and let's make that completely whiff if the guy is crouching. So now, playing as Asuka you are playing a guessing game, where every you try to guess is highly unsafe and leads to a non-comboable special move as a reward, so you are fishing for those 100 damage while risking 500 with no good anti-air normal. Good luck you fucking suckers who donated money for not having fun".

I swear I'll learn to pick top tier one day.

Wizpig

First hatemail on SFxTK, from a swedish player! a little too much cliché, though. :/

He wrote this vulgar way to say "homosexual" and nothing else; I replied with a disquisition about salt, tears and twelve years old MLG wannabes.

Sblargh

Banned
I'll try Lili next. If I am still being run-over by people jumping and jumping and jumping until destroying half one character's life out of a jab, I give up.

Wizpig

there's two fighters i can't get mad at in this game

paul and marduk

paul because paul is cool

marduk because when he wins he sounds like someone out of anger management

it cracks me up every time
I can't get mad at Paul, Yoshimitsu and, i guess, Heihachi.

But Kazuya and Hwoarang? don't get me started or i'll get banned from Gaf.
Compared to them, Dante from MVC 3 is Akira Yuki.
I'll try Lili next. If I am still being run-over by people jumping and jumping and jumping until destroying half one character's life out of a jab, I give up.
I play Chunlilili <3

Man, when Capcom decides the property of some characters, they must separate them into tiers already.
"So let's make people like Kazuya who can jump in and do safe stuff that is very damaging and let's give him a cross up j.mk with awesome anti-air property and a good cr.hp as anti-air, but as Asuka, let's make her counter be a full half-circle motion so, your only advantage, that you can do it on reacton, be less of an advangage, and oh, let's make her sweep throw have ridiculous, almost non existent range and let's make that completely whiff if the guy is crouching. So now, playing as Asuka you are playing a guessing game, where every you try to guess is highly unsafe and leads to a non-comboable special move as a reward, so you are fishing for those 100 damage while risking 500 with no good anti-air normal. Good luck you fucking suckers who donated money for not having fun".

some of those "guess" moves are there to compliment a solid offense/defense. you don't just use the sweep randomly, you make the opponent crouch. the alternative to the sweep are safe low jab/short strings that can lead into big combo damage--that should be your main offense and that should be what your opponent should fear. once he does fear it, sweep the leg.

toasty_t said:
Is Nina any good?
i think shes fairly easy to pickup. haven't spent much time with her, but she seems like a pretty solid character. her kick normals and strings seem pretty good in the footsies department. a lot of her strings are also special move cancellable. her grab move while not particularly great, is super seksy to look at.

Sblargh

Banned
some of those "guess" moves are there to compliment a solid offense/defense. you don't just use the sweep randomly, you make the opponent crouch. the alternative to the sweep are safe low jab/short strings that can lead into big combo damage--that should be your main offense and that should be what your opponent should fear. once he does fear it, sweep the leg.

And while I'm trying to have a solid offense/defense trying to teach an opponent to do this, and then to do that and this and that, he us jumping jumping jumping, cross up cross up, safe string safe string, oops, a jab, half life, sorry. I'm raging right now, sorry if I am being a dick to good advice.

Jenga

Banned
i finally figured out why yoshi is bad

of course anyone who's played him more than 5 minutes know this but...his charge move is his windmill. it goes almost 2/3rds screen and if not properly blocked sucks you in and you take damage. If you jump in the air you get sucked in and takes damage. it completely shuts down the offense/airgame of a shitload of characters. thanks to charge canceling he can literally sit back and wait for a wrong move.

now you see, capcom saw this and said "wow! that's pretty good! we should tone the rest of his game down to compensate for a such a good thing! but first, let's tone down windmill itself to begin with!"

then they made it unsafe on block. ok, very reasonable. punishes the yoshi players for not using it intelligently.

then they probably thought "hey, let us just allow fireballs to completely negate this zoning strategy and let it hit him!" which is merely speculation on my part since windmill really, really looks like a move that would dissipate fireballs like some other tools tekken characters have but whatever. now the strategy is worthless against shotos or zoning characters.

fine, fine I say. at least characters like hugo or rufus won't be able to rush yoshi down for free! (which is still true even now)

then they say "ok, now that we nerfed his windmill why don't we make all his other specials punishable on block. why? idk pass the weed bro"

slap you, stone fists, whatever, are all punishable on block. this really, really, really hurts yoshi something fierce. if slap you or stone fists at least got away being safe he'd be okay but capcom decided not to give that to him.

then they decided to give him crappy normals and mediocre poke

and then not list a random air combo he has in his movelist

yoshi is very, very half-baked. which is a shame because he's fun as hell. if he was actually "fixed" (buffed) he could actually be a very good counter for jerkasses like rufus or even rolento players. in fact, right now he kinda is just because of that windmill abuse. even juri can't run around in the skies for free.

diagnosis: buff this man's normals! make at least ONE of his specials safe on block. it'd make his already good tag-in potential great. oh, giving him a way to switch into flea stance from a combo/blockstring would also be nice

LakeEarth

Which is funny because I hardly ever see him online.

I've seen him a bunch of times. He is a really good character. It's just funny cause I started the game with Rolento/Hugo and now they're both hated too. Now I just need to pick Rufus, Ryu and Juri and I'd have them all.

Sblargh

Banned
Great, now Kazuya is cheap. Why do all the characters I gravitate to in this game become epically hated?

I don't think Kazuya is cheap, i.e, he has some kind of mindless "trick" that pro players know how to handle, but us scrubs just feel like we are free to something very easy to do. My problem with him is the crazy damage while being completely safe. He is Vanilla SF4 Sagat; he isn't a cheap character, but he just has tools that makes him overall a bit better than everybody else.
Sagat had a better zoning game than everyone else, and more health, and more damage, and more chances to combo into ultra, so he was the better character and received the monster nerf on Super.
Kazuya is the same to me, his high-low game is good, his mobility is good, his damage is awesome, his tag-ins are good, his tag-outs are good, his anti-air game is good, he have good ocmbos if you are a noob, he have better combos if you are experienced, he has so many safe stuff that it is a miracle to actually punish him on block to the point that he can be annoying and keep doing the same stuff over and over with almost no risk (oohh, I predicted a jump and caught him in the air, now he took 50 damage and will start all over again). He is just very good in all areas of the game, while Ryu is usually the character that "can" do everything, Kazuya is the character that do everything very good.

Edit: So, Rolento and Hugo I would consider "cheap" characters, that are characters that do one annoyingly easy thing, but that you can actually learn how to deal with. Kazuya there's no learning in fighting against him, he is just better in everything your character does. You either vastly outplay the Kazuya player or you are free.

LowParry

I wish I am in your situation. I found Kaz extreme boring to fight against.

He's one of my mains. Most of the Kaz's online I've gone up against do two things. Hook. And Spinning...whatever. lol - over and over and over and over. No target combos. No godfists. No windsteps. Nothing. They don't use Kaz properly and get blown up so so fast. He's a great all around character.

sleepykyo

Which counter input is aa? I was pretty sure her counter beats grounded strikes only. Most Asuka´s I´ve seen use jump lk or ex upkicks for anti-air.

Sblargh

Banned
Which counter input is aa? I was pretty sure her counter beats grounded strikes only. Most Asuka´s I´ve seen use jump lk or ex upkicks for anti-air.

She has no anti-air counter, what I do is to block the first hit and counter the poke that follows, which works only once and then my entire option for these jump-ins that cause 400 damage is, indeed, jump. lk.

LakeEarth

I don't think Kazuya is cheap, i.e, he has some kind of mindless "trick" that pro players know how to handle, but us scrubs just feel like we are free to something very easy to do. My problem with him is the crazy damage while being completely safe.
I dunno, all of his overheads are punishable on block. All of his mist step followups are punishable except for the one uppercut. Yeah he can jab jab jab jab pressure you but so can half the cast (even Paul!). He has no GTFO me move that isn't EX, and even those aren't great.

He was definitely designed to be like Ryu. Jack of all trades.

The character you picked is what I call a lopsided character. Master of some trades, shit at others. Zangief is a master up close, shit at a distance. There are "glue" characters, where once they get in you can't get them off (without luck), and you gotta keep eating the mixup until you can find the hole. I don't know Asuka very well, but from what I gathered she's kind of like that.

He's one of my mains. Most of the Kaz's online I've gone up against do two things. Hook. And Spinning...whatever. lol - over and over and over and over. No target combos. No godfists. No windsteps. Nothing. They don't use Kaz properly and get blown up so so fast. He's a great all around character.

That's totally me. My whole gameplan is to keep using overheads in the first round, then use and abuse c.lk links into hooks into 350-500 damage combos. I do use windsteps but I'm doing something wrong cause it usually just gets me into trouble.

Which target combos should I be trying out? According to the guide they almost all lead to negative frames on block.

nHDR

Banned
I like this game quite a bit. But Capcom needs to bring back that ST-style zoning in the next game in order to stop all the jumping. It started with SF4 and has gotten a bit extreme here.

At this rate I don't think any fighting game engine will match the greatness of ST.

sleepykyo

She has no anti-air counter, what I do is to block the first hit and counter the poke that follows, which works only once and then my entire option for these jump-ins that cause 400 damage is, indeed, jump. lk.
That explains it‚ I was thrown off by the counter being listed right after Kazuya ´s fierce. No luck with ex upkicks ?

And while I'm trying to have a solid offense/defense trying to teach an opponent to do this, and then to do that and this and that, he us jumping jumping jumping, cross up cross up, safe string safe string, oops, a jab, half life, sorry. I'm raging right now, sorry if I am being a dick to good advice.

Lilli's Andante (df.h) is probably one of the best anti-airs in the game right now.I have never seen it trade with anything and it leads to a juggle which can be followed into for a decent amount of damage.

LowParry

Which target combos should I be trying out? According to the guide they almost all lead to negative frames on block.

One example is his LP > MP > MK > LK. I like to use this to apply pressure after a few cr.LP pokes. If my opponent is bad on reads, it can be something to abuse to keep pressure going. I haven't really looked at frame data with his target combos though. I probably should be aware of them. :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

*Asuka Woes*.

Heh, yeah, I feel like they do that too, and it's often with characters I like...

But, Asuka actually has several decent Anti-airs; EX AA throw (followed by a c.HK), Crouch Medium punch, and f+LK all work well, but they take some finess. Plus Neutral / Jump Back MK work pretty well.

Also, sweep throw... I prefer to tick into EX variety. The normal one is pretty useless often (best as a mixup on someone who expects you to land from a jump into an overhead, I guess?) But the EX one is fantastic. It's the natural opposite to her counters; Counters eat any twitchy punches people throw out, but EX sweep is unblockable and lands very solid damage for anyone who hesitates to counter-jab it's startup. Once they fear jab'n out, and staying still, they start jumping; s.MK does a good job at swallowing up people who try to jump to safey, allowing you to ground them again, and have a new chance for new mixups.

Oh, and randomly, sweep throw is a great way to lock yourself into invincibility, if you catch a person who did a switch cancel. Sweep throw the escaper, while the new person is coming in; sure, you're not safe aftewards, but since people normally do this to run while about to die, you can actually win matches this way...

Her meterless damage-dealing is solid, and her moves buffed with meter are pretty quality. While most characters depend on meter-in-combos to really hurt, she builds up meter for suprises while dealing damage.

Jenga

Banned
...if online isn't fucking with me, kazuya can punish yoshi's windmill on hit (as in, punish when yoshi hits kazuya with windmill)

no that can't be possible...can it?

LakeEarth

It's -8, but I'm sure it pushes far enough where it's hard to punish. I'll practice that for pressure, considering it goes low mid.

Top Bottom