• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

What's the best advice for getting a rhythm with links?

I'm a novice at linking, but honestly, I think it just comes from practicing it in training to the point of being able to do it often. Actually applying said link in battle is the hard part, because you have a million other things on your mind and it messes with your timing(it does for me). I just have to remember to stay calm, and be confident that the link will connect if I focus on it. You will probably get a ton of ken/ryu players that mash SRKs during your combos in case you drop, but don't let it discourage you. Soon you will be more efficient with the links and they won't drop nearly as often. Just don't be discouraged when you get your ass handed to you a few times. It's all a part of learning.

I will never forget when FindMyFarms trained me a little in SF4. Good God that was brutal...but I'm a much better player for it now.

Listen to music.

This is really good as well.

Sblargh

Banned
I need to do this but damn, it takes a while to get into a ranked game.

For some bizarre reason, arcade mode on request will always find me fights quickly, I won't even go through the first arcade fight, but going raw on online takes forever too.

Now that points is out of the way, I'm going through Endless and may be a brazilian thing, but what's up with these 6 people lobbies? You really want to sit through 5 fights before your salty runback?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
One thing I'd like to know before I quit and sell all my fighting games/controllers/guides. How long did it take some of you to get to the point that you considered yourself "good"? How long did you have to practice? And did you have fun doing it? What motivated you to keep going?

Moaradin

Just got 2000bp earlier today. Not too hard if I don't get unknown matches. I also played Banana Ken earlier and that dude had like 8000bp.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
One thing I'd like to know before I quit and sell all my fighting games/controllers/guides. How long did it take some of you to get to the point that you considered yourself "good"? How long did you have to practice? And did you have fun doing it? What motivated you to keep going?

I been playing semi-seriously since I was 12 years old. I'm 25 now

I say I started getting good around 16, what motivated me was the fact I enjoyed the games so yes I had fun.

If I can do good at fighters anyone can. But I don't feel like going into detail about that again for the 350385308th time on here.

remz

first time I played guilty gear I was about 12. I'm 20 now, I consider myself okay.

I just keep playing, the motivation or fun is just playing the games themselves, and I get better along the way as a result of that (obviously with some serious practice time, as well) Don't get obsessed with being the greatest, have fun with the game whilst trying to improve.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

I'm 38 and have been playing FGs on and off since SF2 WW. It's only been the last few years I've gotten a lot more serious.

Oddly enough, I think it depends on which game causes certain concepts to click with you.

As strange as it may seem to many, it was trying to learn MVC3 really hard that made a ton of advanced FG concepts get through to me, including for older games. Perhaps because that game segments many ideas, like have very specific goals on how much damage you need to get out of a single combo when you land a hit. (To try and kill a character off.)

What motivated me to keep going, I guess it was telling myself that most other people who play games are not actually 'special'. There's far too many kinds of people who play fighting games... sure, there are a few prodigies with super human reflexes and ability to react to every frame.

But it's like learning to play a musical instrument. That is a complex discipline that seems hopelessly intricate at first. While prodigies can wow us by picking up an instrument all on their own, nearly anyone can learn how to play at a decent level.

SUPARSTARX

I played on and off at the arcades when I was younger and lived in Chinatown. Didn't get much action after I moved out. When SF4 came out on consoles, I was just quitting World of Warcraft PVP, tired of teammates jumping on and off my arena team for the best flavor of the month (I played priest and there were only 2 viable effective team combinations at the time as a healer) and wanted to get into "real" PVP aka competitive gaming... at least to my standards and limits. Never looked back. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I have enough of a general interest to keep playing and stay on the enthusiast side even though I do get tournament nerves and botch things up lol

I'm having a fun time learning SFxT with basics and a more positive training thought than when I was younger and would rage when things didn't go my way. Train smart, not hard.

I think I'm alright at these games. I play a lot early on to learn some characters I generally click with and like.. then afterward it's usually and hour or two here and there in multiplayer just picking up bits of match up experience.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I played on and off at the arcades when I was younger and lived in Chinatown. Didn't get much action after I moved out. When SF4 came out on consoles, I was just quitting World of Warcraft PVP, tired of teammates jumping on and off my arena team for the best flavor of the month (I played priest and there were only 2 viable effective team combinations at the time as a healer) and wanted to get into "real" PVP aka competitive gaming... at least to my standards and limits. Never looked back. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I have enough of a general interest to keep playing and stay on the enthusiast side even though I do get tournament nerves and botch things up lol

I'm having a fun time learning SFxT with basics and a more positive training thought than when I was younger and would rage when things didn't go my way. Train smart, not hard.

WoW PvP is pure dog shit compared to any fighting game. Any wow fanboy that argues with me about that I just shake my head and laugh.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
lol don't they just run around and zap each other with lightning

Nah it's more complex than that, but it's still rotation based for the most part.

Someone did such and such? Do this rotation of skills, someone did this now? Do this. It's pretty slow paced as well compared to fighters.

Sayah

Which fighting games have you tried? Just interested in knowing.

Edit: Nvm...just read your post on the last page. You should try out more 3D fighters if 2D fighters aren't working for you. I personally also prefer 3D fighters.

SUPARSTARX

WoW PvP is pure dog shit compared to any fighting game. Any wow fanboy that argues with me about that I just shake my head and laugh.

Any MMO PVP is pretty stale but at the time I was not doing bad at all. I was just annoyed with people jumping in and out of my teams and I couldn't do much without teammates anyway so.. peaced out! Self reliance >

Which fighting games have you tried? Just interested in knowing.

Edit: Nvm...just read your post on the last page. You should try out more 3D fighters if 2D fighters aren't working for you. I personally also prefer 3D fighters.

I think 3D fighters are more logical, if that makes any sense. Stuff like cross ups and whatnot make very little sense to me, especially how they actually look while happening on screen(outside of stuff like Gen's jump in). It's just weird stuff you learn to watch out for and expect.

Shouta

Oh man, Kuma and Law do so much regular damage that I think using defensive gems to stay alive longer is better online.

kirblar

I read somewhere that auto-block will actually block for you once while you're in the hunting stance- haven't had a chance to test it my self, as I've had gems off for sanity's sake in training mode.

Solune

I need help on ryu's 20th trial I got the links down but i can't get L srk into shinku hadoken to hit.It always *just* misses kayuza

The shoruyken has to hit near its last active frame or near the end of its arc. It's spacing dependent so when you're doing the initial combo, I think it's c.mp xx c.fp xx EX tatsu. Try to hit him at max distance instead of as close as you can get to Kazuya.

Well for me I'm not good, and I don't have the time to put in to become good, but I still try and I still have fun. Might not be the answer that you were looking for, since you seem to be frustrated based on not getting to the performance level that you want. But I just enjoy the learning and improving process even if it's just at a really basic level. My win percent in SSFIV was like 35% or so (I did main Dan for most of that time, so there is that), but the wins still felt good even if they were few and far between and I did get better over time. But I can say if it is stressing you out that much maybe it's not the right genre for you.

BHK3

Banned

Maybe...a year? In street fighter at least, I started with IV and got my ass thrown everywhere. Picked up super and got good within a couple months, I didn't really practiced, all I did was look at videos and just copy what they did and got good that way. I sure as hell didn't have fun doing it, but I had fun pulling those combos off in real matches. I had fun winning and playing people near my skill level, that was my motivation. As they got better, I had to get better. I've been playing fighting games since I was little though, with games like Tekken and Soul Blade and other no name fighters, I could always beat my friends so I considered myself good at least.

GGs spin, but I think you've retired me from fighters. After those beatings you gave me, I kinda realized that I'm always going to fall for the same stuff over and over. I don't retain anything. I can learn combos, but I can't learn to discern when I should block high and when I should block low and when I should and shouldn't attack. Just real basic stuff that I by all means should know by now. And yeah, I could spend a lot of time practicing and getting bodied online and learning, but that wouldn't be fun. I could be using all those hours I'd spend training playing something I'm having fun with. I've gone through SSFIV, UMvC3, SFxT, KOFXIII, Mortal Kombat, BlazBlue CS, and probably some others I'm forgetting. I keep saying "Oh, maybe this isn't the right game for me. Maybe this next one coming out will be the one I'm good at", but I really can't blame the games "not being right for me" anymore. I'm just not good at fighters.

So yeah, I'm done. If anyone wants to buy some fighters/fighter stuff, check the Buy/Sell/Trade thread in a bit.

I think you should reconsider. Every fighting game is different, but once you figured out one the rest comes easy. It just a matter of sticking with it. I started with MVC2 before there was youtube, guides, streams, and the only real way to learn the game was play in the arcade and lose countless amount of quarters. Somehow I managed to get decent at it, stopped playing fighting games for a few years then picked it back up during Tekken 5.

I wouldn't say I'm a great player, but I consider myself above average. I know online play doesn't count for much but my win percentage is pretty much 80% across the board for all Capcom games yet I haven't put that much time in any. What I'm trying to say is that I believe some of that mvc2 skills translate to the newer generation of games (SF4, UMVC3, SfxT, MK9, Tekken 6 etc..)

They might not be exactly the same, but the concepts are. You kind of know what to look for, and that helps you learn game at a faster rate. So with that said I think you should really just focus on one game and learn it. You be surprise when you do decide to go back to the other games how much faster you can pick those up.

I don't think trying to learn 4-5 games at once will do you any good since it just a overload of information. No one just enters the fgc and starts owning in multiple games. Even a guy like Chris G (who is good in a variety of game) took his lumps for years at CTF. Then he figures out 1 game and the rest game easy.

Also I think the advantage on focusing on one game is that you can build a style then translate that style to other games.

Aedile

One thing I'd like to know before I quit and sell all my fighting games/controllers/guides. How long did it take some of you to get to the point that you considered yourself "good"?

Between the iterations of SF4, a bit of BB and now SFxT, I've probably put about 7,500 hours into fighting games since 2008. Am I good? Nope, due to basic deficiencies in reflex and reaction time that really can't be trained away. That said, (a) a good game will have characters with a variety of playstyles so you can play to your strengths rather than weaknesses; (b) there's always different styles of games (like 3D vs 2D fighters mentioned above) that can also emphasize different strengths; (c) these games are hopefully still fun even if you aren't that good--like most games, playing with friends rather than strangers online is likely to be more fulfilling.

Based on your second reply, I'd say this: if you don't know what moves are punishable or whether they hit high or low, you can pick that up from training room dummies, playing a hell of a lot and learning it through experience, or from reading the frame data. You can do fine online just by reading your opponent: if they play aggressively, just block until they throw out something that is obviously unsafe; if they play passively, you can probably get away with some unsafe aggression yourself; if they zone, or play tight defensively, you have to mix them up, get in their head, throw them off their game. Generally, though, at least online, when in doubt--block!

That said, the important thing always is to have fun. If you're not having fun, nothing wrong in doing something else, even for a little while. I know that when I step away from fighting games for a bit and then come back to them--I spent a few months primarily playing SWTOR instead of fgs this year--any previous frustrations I had are gone by the time I come back.

MarshMellow96 said:
What's the best advice for getting a rhythm with links?

As someone with the aforementioned reflex and reaction issues, I use an outside frame of reference: I recite the alphabet in my head. Vega's cr.mk to cr.mp link is a 'C link' in that when I go 'A B C' I know to hit it on C. Others might be B links or D links or whatever.

How difficult is it to get C rank and how many BP do you need? As with most fighting games I like to get the trophies that require rank battles out of the way and then be done with ranked matches forever.

TGMIII

How difficult is it to get C rank and how many BP do you need? As with most fighting games I like to get the trophies that require rank battles out of the way and then be done with ranked matches forever.

I got to C in one night of playing, that was like a 90% win rate. I can't remember how much C is but I think C- is 1000bp?

Shouta

GG man,

I know but when I'm not playing in a tourney, it's a lot more fun. Sitting back the entire time is pretty boring so eh, why not. Besides, If I stopped jumping, you would've just poked me to death with Ogre. I can't block stuff very well with this netcode so I don't bother unless I need to create a bit of breathing room. Neither Kuma nor Law have particularly good pokes either. So bad netcode + trying to win in a battle that's not very winnable means I'm just gonna attack as much as possible.

alstein

Unless you're able to win majors, there are always those folks that make you feel like you're terrible at the game- it's a pyramid, and there can only really be one at the top.

The key is finding a game where you can enjoy the process- you need to find a game that's enjoyable even when you lose. Seriously, if it wasn't for KOF coming out last year, and the VF announcement, FR would have been my retirement from fighters. The games this year where I enjoyed the process were Arcana (to a point) , KOF, and VF.

If you're falling for the same stuff over and over though, it means one of three things.

a) It's legitimately a cheap overpowered tactic (I don't think so in this case), and the game is shit. This is rarer then people think it is.

b) You just made a ton of wrong guesses, in which case, you just got downloaded or the opponent hit jackpot - which happens. Usually in these cases, it's frustrating as hell, but you understand why it happened. Every time I've ever upset a name player in a tourney, it's been because I hit the jackpot on guesses.

c) You're not thinking, which is on you- in which you either learn or quit.

I've really stuggled with what you've been going through- last year I felt the same way, it was the promise of KOF that kept me from quitting.

For those who think they are deficient at reflexes (such as myself)- my strategy is to try and make it not about reflexes. Certain playstyles and characters , you can force your opponent's options down you don't have to worry about it as much. Such styles tend to get ragemail though. I've gotten it from people on here before.

The one thing I try to do is avoid fighters with high execution requirements, since I know I suck at that.

Shouta

Ugh, Kuma. You may have lost me a few matches, but Vega came in and picked up your slacking ass!

Kuma does stupid good damage and his combos are like braindead easy but getting in and keeping out can be a hassle. You'll get close to 400 off ground combos without using meter, and more if you throw in jump-ins/supers. Issue would be landing it.

Top Bottom