• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Just like in real life. When you see a bear you run.
ggs. i really wish kumas headbutt throw worked on crouching opponents. i think maybe i need to start using hunting stance more. he's a really fun character though.

ccrook said:
What in the world do you with Kuma when you're getting poked to death? :(
so i'm reading in the guide that kumas standing jab has no hurtbox. sounds a bit misleading, as the way i read it would mean he should be able to beat anyone elses jab even if they jab first. i need to test it out.

noizychild said:
Are Steve/Raven batteries or meter-spenders?
both can work pretty well without meter, although out of those two i'd say raven would probably be the better battery.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Are Steve/Raven batteries or meter-spenders?

No clue about Raven but Steve's bread and butter for any considerable damage relies on EX Sonic Fang. He's also usually coming in off a tag cancel so he's definitely a meter user.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Akuma is more fun in this one. Combos galore. Akuma combo on Kuma.
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/312130419

The Yomi is strong.
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/312130281

Today's lobby was fun. If the netcode wasn't so stupid, this would be the greatest fighter online. 2 vs whatever is so fun.

People can say the game is crap now but if Capcom can fix a few things here and there, opinions can change. The randomness and hitboxes are the main problems. Grabs are less pronounced than AE but that just means you have to be more precise and not abuse it like in that game.

Akuma is more fun in this one. Combos galore. Akuma combo on Kuma.
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/312130419

The Yomi is strong.
http://www.twitch.tv/kadeybaybe/b/312130281

Today's lobby was fun. If the netcode wasn't so stupid, this would be the greatest fighter online. 2 vs whatever is so fun.

People can say the game is crap now but if Capcom can fix a few things here and there, opinions can change. The randomness and hitboxes are the main problems. Grabs are less pronounced than AE but that just means you have to be more precise and not abuse it like in that game.
do you have a youtube channel? i can't watch anything higher than 480p.

the netcode isn't so bad, i think i only get 1 bar with you which kinda sucks but was still playable. compared to 1 bar mvc3 matches, those are completely unplayable.

nHDR

Banned
I prefer Akuma in this one to his AE version. Awesome character in AE but felt robotic at times due to having to memorize a billion specific setups. Still, worth it if you could master him (I couldn't).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Honestly, aside from the sound cutting out, I think it's hard to say the netcode is "bad" right now. I've gotten a lot of 2 bar matches that are stable and playable, and the rollback actually is working well in higher bar matches.

Fighting games are always dicey in the early days due to the theory I've got that: everybody buys the game, runs online to see if "the netcode in this one doesn't SUCK like they all do!", before getting mad and selling the game in a month. Often because they've got a horrible connection, insist on using wireless and pretend it's the same, or they have a badly configured router.

The longer fighting games are in the wild, the more natural selection seems to weed out everyone who either shouldn't be playing with their connection, or can't be bothered to set things up right and test it.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey chaps, sorry to ruin the flow of discussion, but can anyone shed some light on the voices in this game?

Seems like a minor point, but I'm just curious how characters are sounding in general, and whether nostalgic characters like Hugo or Rolento retain any of their essence from previous games.

The cast sure look great, but so far I haven't heard any growly German, or evil Engrish (respectively of these two specific characters).

SF aside, how do the Tekken fans feel about their characters' voices? Are you happy with the Japanese/English options? (Do these even exist in Tekken games?)

Thanks for your input. Really looking forward to this popping through the mailbox!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hey chaps, sorry to ruin the flow of discussion, but can anyone shed some light on the voices in this game?

Seems like a minor point, but I'm just curious how characters are sounding in general, and whether nostalgic characters like Hugo or Rolento retain any of their essence from previous games.

The cast sure look great, but so far I haven't heard any growly German, or evil Engrish (respectively of these two specific characters).

SF aside, how do the Tekken fans feel about their characters' voices? Are you happy with the Japanese/English options? (Do these even exist in Tekken games?)

Thanks for your input. Really looking forward to this popping through the mailbox!

The english voice acting is generally high quality, and Rolento's English voice is downright hilarious. It's good mind you - but the guy absolutely NAILS the "I eat shell casings for breakfast and shit grenades" tough guy CO.

Generally, I keep character voices set to the "logical" language. Asian people set to Japanese unless it's heavily canonical that they speak english, and everybody who should be speaking English set to that.

About the only voice I think is really bad so far is Law's english actor... very wrong IMHO. But he sounds better in Japanese anyway. By comparison, I oddly keep Hwoarang set to English because he seems like an international type of person, and his English actor sounds great.

Poison and Hugo's english voices seem dead on appropriate to me.

Otherwise, nothing really sticks out as sounding wrong or disappointing given the language settings I use.

Oh, one very nice touch that's new to this game: all the cut scenes, whether real time (like fight intros) or story and ending scenes, respect individual language settings per character. They actually DID keep every voice track separate.

So if you have Cammy set to English, and Chun Li to Japanese, in their story intro, and in their CG ending, they will still speak the correct language with subtitles for the Japanese dialog.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Dont really use my YT anymore.

Kazuya is so good, he's in my lineup now. Much easier to use than Jin who is way hotter.

I hate almost all the english voices. They get repeatitive quickly for me, especially on often used moves, so I opt for Japanese most of the time. It partially due to me just liking the sound of another language but still understanding what is going on on-screen as well. I believe the only one I have set to english is Balrog(boxer).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I hate almost all the english voices. They get repeatitive quickly for me, especially on often used moves, so I opt for Japanese most of the time. It partially due to me just liking the sound of another language but still understanding what is going on on-screen as well. I believe the only one I have set to english is Balrog(boxer).

Japanese Cammy is worst Cammy.

I generally prefer Japanese voices, when available, in most games. However there's some characters in this game who I absolutely have to have in English. Cammy, Poison, Rufus, Vega, Balrog, and a few others (including most Tekken characters, save for Heihachi and Kazuya). And ESPECIALLY Juri. Jessica Straus gives Juri such a great personality that the Japanese VA just can't match.

Novid

Banned
such a dramatic diffrence in juri's va - and i just noticed it - she yells yahoo! on every attack where as the us va uses the Japanese nomenclature "ora" or "sotra" (im mistranslating it). i

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Japanese Cammy is worst Cammy.

I generally prefer Japanese voices, when available, in most games. However there's some characters in this game who I absolutely have to have in English. Cammy, Poison, Rufus, Vega, Balrog, and a few others (including most Tekken characters, save for Heihachi and Kazuya). And ESPECIALLY Juri. Jessica Straus gives Juri such a great personality that the Japanese VA just can't match.

No, Japanese Guile is the worst. It pains me to hear him.

I always have everyone on English, it seems pretty good as typical for them...with one exception. Like Kaijima I set Law to JP, so he's the only one in the cast. The voice doesn't fit him AT ALL.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
No, Japanese Guile is the worst. It pains me to hear him.

I always have everyone on English, it seems pretty good as typical for them...with one exception. Like Kaijima I set Law to JP, so he's the only one in the cast. The voice doesn't fit him AT ALL.

Oh man, Law has got to have the WORST English voice in the game. He's supposed to be middle-aged. Why, then, does he sound like a 17 year old? Total miscasting there.

Also, Jin's English VA is Brad Swaile, AKA Amuro Ray from the English dub of Mobile Suit Gundam. That alone is reason enough to set him to English. :D

I can't stand Heihachi's Overhead attack that is completely safe. Its so spammable. The priority of the attack hit me out of a jumping roundhouse, really?

And fuck Zangief's lariat.

Degen

All this anti-Zangief talk has me wanting to go back to him. Feels like I didn't give him a fair shake. But man, Kuma's damage is easier than easy mode.

zlatko

Banned
Very nice vid for other Kazuya / Heihachi players

The Main Man
DURIAAAAAHH

I said god damn at some of the WGF combos. Like daaaamn. I didn't even know about some of those possibilities.

In other news I said fuck it, and will just stick with my OG team of Rolento/Kazuya. It gets me the most wins and they share some fantastic synergy. Rolento with all meter gems, Kazuya with all power gems. Rolento on point.

Oh and I beat TimeDog tonight. His Ibuki and Ryu are mad free. :D

Ferrio

Banned
Ugh, online pisses me off so much. Drop a link, eat a shoryuken. Yet the other guy does stupid chain combo that's braindead easy. UGh, shouldn't even try not worth it.

Ugh, online pisses me off so much. Drop a link, eat a shoryuken. Yet the other guy does stupid chain combo that's braindead easy. UGh, shouldn't even try not worth it.

i_hug_that_feel.png

Novid

Banned

im getting the feeling some of these guys are using easy mode, but they treat it as a win even with the easy gems on. thats why online is a near no go for me.

zlatko

Banned

I lost to THE lamest mother fucker on the planet tonight.

Ken/Ryu. Knew no combos, but did ABC launch, jab jab, tatsu, tag, jab jab, tatsu. Did shitty damage, cost him meter, but it ate up tons of time. Rest of the time was spent with him blocking or doing hados, and if I tried a block string, or did a confirm and dropped? Shoryu.

I'd say it was my own fault, but 2nd round I intentionally dropped the jab jab, low forward shit with Rolento to bait out shoryus so i could then punish, but it didn't come.

; ;

Lol, sometimes you just gotta go for the guaranteed damage when facing a formidable foe such as yourself.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just realized Steve is like every character in Hajime no Ippo combined, so yeh, new main confirmed.

zlatko

Banned
Just realized Steve is like every character in Hajime no Ippo combined, so yeh, new main confirmed.

I can do like 90% of everything I've seen for videos for Steve. No issues. The problem? Setting any of it up, or defending to find my opening to set it up. ; ;

Such a great character, but I'm just too ass with him.

It's pretty striking how we have two three boxers in the game, yet none of them play ANYTHING alike. Even to a complete novice they are totally different characters, unlike most of the shotos. I mean, the we know the differences between Ken/Ryu/Akuma, but most people just think its "ryu with the flaming uppercut", or "ken with the air fireball and teleport". And it is until you get down to the nuts and bolts. These three boxers are different on the most basic of levels, fundamentals and play styles, and it's so refreshing to see a particular art being applied in multiple ways in the same game.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I can do like 90% of everything I've seen for videos for Steve. No issues. The problem? Setting any of it up, or defending to find my opening to set it up. ; ;

Such a great character, but I'm just too ass with him.

Yeah the sound issues online are making it reeeeally hard to time any openings. Ive been getting dominated by most Tekken characters bceause theyre so rush heavy, feels like they have preference over everything.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah the sound issues online are making it reeeeally hard to time any openings. Ive been getting dominated by most Tekken characters bceause theyre so rush heavy, feels like they have preference over everything.

Weird I have more issues with the SF side of the cast.

Most people use their same 1-2 set ups for their Tekken characters, end it on something unsafe at some point, and then let me punish.

SF characters though? Safe safe safe, mix up, safe safe some more, zone, safe, anti air city, safe safe, mix up, etc.

; ; A fair amount of the Tekken cast is just very 1 dimensional in how they want to open you up. Luckily I play Kazuya who has a good chunk of options to always keep players on their toes. ;)

Raging Spaniard

It's pretty striking how we have two three boxers in the game, yet none of them play ANYTHING alike. Even to a complete novice they are totally different characters, unlike most of the shotos. I mean, the we know the differences between Ken/Ryu/Akuma, but most people just think its "ryu with the flaming uppercut", or "ken with the air fireball and teleport". And it is until you get down to the nuts and bolts. These three boxers are different on the most basic of levels, fundamentals and play styles, and it's so refreshing to see a particular art being applied in multiple ways in the same game.

Thats because theyre based on very specific boxing styles and take inspiration from there. You have Tyson/Balrog, Ali/Dudley and Steve/Ippo. With the shotos theyre kinda making it up as they go.

Pompadour

Thats because theyre based on very specific boxing styles and take inspiration from there. You have Tyson/Balrog, Ali/Dudley and Steve/Ippo. With the shotos theyre kinda making it up as they go.

Well, both Dudley and Steve are pretty much designed around Ippo. Dudley has the Corkscrew Blow and the Dempsey Roll while Steve has basically every other signature attack in Ippo (including the Dempsey Roll, to a degree).

If I had to attach the two to particular characters in Ippo, however, I'd say Dudley plays like Ippo and Steve plays like Miyata. Steve just has so many counter-punching tools at his disposal.

GorillaJu

Steve has the "white fang" which instantly makes him the best Ippo-derived character! He also has the flicker stance, which is from the zombie-like Ippo character, can't recall his name.

He's more of a mishmash of all the moves from the anime, not just Makunouchi himself.

Raging Spaniard

Well, both Dudley and Steve are pretty much designed around Ippo. Dudley has the Corkscrew Blow and the Dempsey Roll while Steve has basically every other signature attack in Ippo (including the Dempsey Roll, to a degree).

If I had to attach the two to particular characters in Ippo, however, I'd say Dudley plays like Ippo and Steve plays like Miyata. Steve just has so many counter-punching tools at his disposal.

Dudley has a cinematic that looks like Ippo yeah, but the way he moves how he plays mid range, uses his reach and what his specials actually do remind me a lot of Ali and Lennox Lewis. The Ippo tuff was just flash added later.

Steve is based around the Ippo show, not he character.

laaame

Exact reason I dropped Chun in SFIV, Having a low health character with not a lot of single hit ways to damage annoyed the hell out of me. Dropped link = Flaming shoryu to the face =(

Top Bottom