• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Hmmm... After all this, I'm still a Mahvel guy after all.

I love the mix-up game more than anything in Mahvel, where bullshit wins all. In this game, yeah it's fun, but I don't feel the freedom I like having in Mahvel (movement/speed/etc.). This is definitely my secondary game that I'm gonna try and do well with, but I'm a Mahvel guy at heart.

That being said, I must improve my scrub Ibuki. And learn to counter the Evil Beast that is Ryu. Seriously: Ken, Sagat, Hugo, Rolento, Kazuya, Akuma, Hwaorang, insert any other character you think is overpowered. I can blow past them all, the match ups are there to study and win. When I lose to anyone in that list, I'm fine with it. When I lose to Ryu? Why is this character so good? Why can he make any string safe with a donkey kick or Shoryuken? It's all so mind boggling why he seems to have great defensive options AND offensive options. He has no true weakness to exploit. Great normals/footsies, excellent range game, one of the best reversals in SF history all wrapped up with great damage and speed.

Just... WHY?

Mileena

Banned
Ya well. The guy i played against didnt dropped it, and perfected me next round because i was so fucking demoralized. I'm on an 8 game losing streak now. I hate the SFIV engine so fucking bad.

that's what you get for not accepting my invite

bitch

I love the mix-up game more than anything in Mahvel, where bullshit wins all. In this game, yeah it's fun, but I don't feel the freedom I like having in Mahvel (movement/speed/etc.). This is definitely my secondary game that I'm gonna try and do well with, but I'm a Mahvel guy at heart.

That being said, I must improve my scrub Ibuki. And learn to counter the Evil Beast that is Ryu. Seriously: Ken, Sagat, Hugo, Rolento, Kazuya, Akuma, Hwaorang, insert any other character you think is overpowered. I can blow past them all, the match ups are there to study and win. When I lose to anyone in that list, I'm fine with it. When I lose to Ryu? Why is this character so good? Why can he make any string safe with a donkey kick or Shoryuken? It's all so mind boggling why he seems to have great defensive options AND offensive options. He has no true weakness to exploit. Great normals/footsies, excellent range game, one of the best reversals in SF history all wrapped up with great damage and speed.

Just... WHY?
Don't really play the game and I can't imagine Ryu being so good, but if you are a Mahvel guy you should never forget Vanilla MvC3.

-Dante
-Phoenix
-Wolverine
-Wesker
-Magneto

All of them major characters from a marketing standpoint and all of them were stupid as hell in Vanilla. It's like they let the marketing department decide tier placement for the beauties of the cast. Is it so strange that it happens in fighters these days(specifically in fighters that need to sell millions in order to be considered a success)?

Don't really play the game and I can't imagine Ryu being so good, but if you are a Mahvel guy you should never forget Vanilla MvC3.

-Dante
-Phoenix
-Wolverine
-Wesker
-Magneto

All of them major characters from a marketing standpoint and all of them were stupid as hell in Vanilla. It's like they let the marketing department decide tier placement for the beauties of the cast. Is it so strange that it happens in fighters these days(specifically in fighters that need to sell millions in order to be considered a success)?
Yep, Vanilla was shocking, but I liked it regardless. Obviously Ultimate has improved things quite a bit, so thank God they listened (depending on who you ask :p).

So yeah, maybe they make Ryu good to sell t-shirts and make sure it sells to the more casual crowd, who will almost immdediately begin with the guy. Could be a good explanation.

Or I could be coming up for reasons for my own incompetence. What's the general consensus on Ryu? I don't think he's broken like Vanilla Phoenix/Wolvie, but to me he seems just too good.

Jenga

Banned
so what exactly is the game plan for sfxt?

I think I've heard people saying the nature of the copywrite agreement on SFXT means no "ultimate sfxt" but would we still be able to get "arcade edition 2012" esque patches?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The lack of armor break in this game makes any armor move GODLIKE.
Wonder if I'll go with Zangief or Hugo today.

There are armors break in the game.. I got hit with it few times. (It has to be a move that can do more than two hits)

I think I've heard people saying the nature of the copywrite agreement on SFXT means no "ultimate sfxt" but would we still be able to get "arcade edition 2012" esque patches?

Same here. I heard that their agreement is that they are going to produce only one game but offering a lot of dlc stuffs and updates but take it with pinch of salt.

LakeEarth

There are armors break in the game.. I got hit with it few times. (It has to be a move that can do more than two hits)

Yeah, a smart Rolento would jump in with his baton air attack, I think its medium punch. The spin one that hits multiple times.

My Kazuya/Hugo team doesn't really have a good answer to armor moves (except of course more armor moves). That's why I usually just hang back, try to bait them into unleashing the move, and then punish it to the best of my abilities.

Jenga

Banned
Same here. I heard that their agreement is that they are going to produce only one game but offering a lot of dlc stuffs and updates but take it with pinch of salt.

If we got free balance patches while they introduce new characters beyond the already in-game 12 I'd be pretty happy. If they charged another $15 for SFxT 2013...well shit it'd be better than having to shell a full $40 for USFxT

I played a bit with Kaz and Nina and their damage is bananas. Both can go solo 450,

I keep forgetting to use my meter. Every time I check it's full

This game is a wake-up call for my execution coming from SFIV and all its revisions (Super, AE, 2012). In those games, I can do footsies, frame traps and tick like a pro with all my old friends (Blanka, Guile, Honda, Boxer, etc). I never feel overmatched.

...but this game's timing and such are all different. Even Guile and Boxer don't translate exactly, so I'm getting destroyed by regular scrub tactics. :(

What are people doing to get better aside from the training exercises in the game?

brian

The worst thing about playing Ryu is trying to dash cancel a sweep with a fireball, but having a shoryuken come out instead. Nothing worse than trying to make a sweep safe but instead eating a full combo for your troubles. I really need to practice my execution on that maneuver because it happens too much.

V_Arnold

The worst thing about playing Ryu is trying to dash cancel a sweep with a fireball, but having a shoryuken come out instead. Nothing worse than trying to make a sweep safe but instead eating a full combo for your troubles. I really need to practice my execution on that maneuver because it happens too much.

Trick: do a HCF instead of a QCF for the fireball, then dash.

Yep, Vanilla was shocking, but I liked it regardless. Obviously Ultimate has improved things quite a bit, so thank God they listened (depending on who you ask :p).

So yeah, maybe they make Ryu good to sell t-shirts and make sure it sells to the more casual crowd, who will almost immdediately begin with the guy. Could be a good explanation.

Or I could be coming up for reasons for my own incompetence. What's the general consensus on Ryu? I don't think he's broken like Vanilla Phoenix/Wolvie, but to me he seems just too good.
ryu is very good, but he's not broken. ryu -is- street fighter, so its hard to make him broken. even if he was s-tier, he'd still kind of be considered fair since his game relies on good fundamentals and not cheap scrub mechanics. in fact, usually when he gets placed in other games, he becomes lower tier because of the fact that everyone else gets cheap scrub mechanics while he still retains his basic fundamentals. in this game though, he did get a few new tricks to help him maintain that higher spot, but not to the point of being broken.

brian said:
sounds like maybe your edging too close to downforward when you c.hk, which will still count for an srk because of shortcuts. trying holding downback when you do the c.hk.

Please add my xbox gamer tag to the list. It's christgamer. I need some help getting better. I don't if I'm screwed online because I don't have a fight stick or what.

AEREC

Capcom have said the whole point of the on-disc DLC is to avoid another separate "super" version of the game. They have realized that releasing MvC3 and then UMvC3 within a year of each other pissed a lot of people off so I doubt they will do that again...but then again this is Capcom and they dont seem to mind pissing people off.

hertog

If they made King's command throws faster and his counter moves BACK instead of forward KK or PP he's be so much better.

Curse those times when I try to counter a standing move from a crouching position, and outcomes EX shining wizard!!!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Im late to the outrage but holy shit you can make everybody in this game have blackface, wow.

Bizazedo

The more I play this game (and now settling in to really learn it after a week long cruise), I keep thinking of Gootecks harping on meter in SF3 and SF4.

I am not getting tired of viciously ripping away all the "red" life with the team hypers.

SUPARSTARX

Went back and revisited my team in their Tekken 6 counterparts, man I wish they implemented Ninas butter fly flap lol and given law some upper body invincible stuff without meter for evasion.

I think a lot of Tekken characters need some better jab pressure answers from SF characters besides burning meter or guessing too hard after blocking.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I never really liked Marvel or even SF4 for that matter but this game is wonderful.

I've said it before but this game really gets back to core Street Fighter play without parries, focus attacks, air blocking, or other permutations. It builds on it with the tag system and advanced juggling, but those things don't seem to alter the basic Street Fighter dynamic in the same way other experiments have done. Moment-to-moment in a match, the game is the most like Super SF2 Turbo.

The more I play this game (and now settling in to really learn it after a week long cruise), I keep thinking of Gootecks harping on meter in SF3 and SF4.

I am not getting tired of viciously ripping away all the "red" life with the team hypers.

I do like that this mechanic creates a real justification for using 3 bars for a team attack, even if you theoretically could get more damage out of a tag juggle sequence.

cednym

Banned

-Dante
-Phoenix
-Wolverine
-Wesker
-Magneto

It's just a coincidence; speed and technical characters (of which all five of those are) tend to be among the most dominating. If tier lists were manufactured according to marketing relevance, then characters like Ryu, Chun-Li, Chris, Spider-Man, Hulk, and Thor would be way ahead of Phoenix.

Sayah

Just... WHY?
Probably b/c Ryu is the face of SF. Couldn't possibly have him as a weak character.

Capcom fighters are horrible with character balancing anyway. There isn't much fun at all when your opponent spends the whole match jumping away with Akuma or hitting from across the screen with Dhalsim or countering everything with shoryuken spamming at every instance. I don't know how people playing like that have fun in the first place.
Seems more like a chore or a desperate attempt at victory.

Capcom fighters are horrible with character balancing anyway. There isn't much fun at all when your opponent spends the whole match jumping away with Akuma or hitting from across the screen with Dhalsim or countering everything with shoryuken spamming at every instance. I don't know how people playing like that have fun in the first place.

You know, it's weird, but somehow it kinda works out. Not counting obvious 3S situation / Akuma ST etc but stuff like the recent SF4 series. It's a weird balance, it's not like Tekken where there's homogenization between characters. It's more of all the characters have their own general 'bullshit lame' strategy, the goal is to out lame the other player. See "First one to get a knockdown into crossup" garbage Arcade Edition. :p

It also makes it out to be the most rage inducing games to ever play. Hah dropped a one frame link? Eat a SPD jerk.

GorillaJu

It's not that strange. A lot of people are completely content to stay at a low level, or if they're actively trying to improve themselves, they're concentrating on spacing, reactions, etc. and just doing the simple moves that they can. It's also easy to get salty if you think your opponent is playing cheaply or being annoying in their tactics, so you might go out of your way to annoy them in return by running down the clock, playing super defensively, etc.

I think it was teknopathic who opened my eyes to the alpha counter whenever Rolento is putting pressure on. I stomped a Rolento player tonight 6 or 7 games in a row. It was fun - I stayed out of slide kick range, when he jumped in I anti-aired him for a free 350 dmg combo, and if he started pressuring me with blockstrings I just alpha countered him off. By the end he was so scared to baton twirl, which saved me a few times because he would poke me with cr LP but not finish off the combo with the baton twirl because he had lost his muscle memory for it.

And after about 8 losses to a Hugo/Rufus player, I beat him once. And then lost about 5 more times. Hahaha my god what a fucking team those two make.

Threi

notag
its kind of strange how long it takes for guile's low fierce to recover....almost feels like you are negative when you AA somebody with it.

LakeEarth

And after about 8 losses to a Hugo/Rufus player, I beat him once. And then lost about 5 more times. Hahaha my god what a fucking team those two make.
That does sound like a scary combination. Most Rufus players I've played have no second team member. Just a combo extender. Once you do enough damage for him to get Rufus out of there, I just go balls out trying to kill the other guy cause I know the other guy isn't as horrifyingly good.

Sayah

You know, it's weird, but somehow it kinda works out. Not counting obvious 3S situation / Akuma ST etc but stuff like the recent SF4 series. It's a weird balance, it's not like Tekken where there's homogenization between characters. It's more of all the characters have their own general 'bullshit lame' strategy, the goal is to out lame the other player. See "First one to get a knockdown into crossup" garbage Arcade Edition. :p

It also makes it out to be the most rage inducing games to ever play. Hah dropped a one frame link? Eat a SPD jerk.

I haven't played SFIV extensively outside from like 5 matches, lol. But SFXTK represents a lot of that as well I suppose. The goal often can end up being out laming the other person. But I'd rather prefer the matches that don't run in such ways. Tekken, I think, is different because the player skill level actually matters a whole lot more than character tiers. You won't have noobs winning matches in Tekken for employing braindead strategies. That used to be the case in Tekken 3 with Eddy, I suppose, but it no longer is as the gameplay has evolved significantly.

It's not that strange. A lot of people are completely content to stay at a low level, or if they're actively trying to improve themselves, they're concentrating on spacing, reactions, etc. and just doing the simple moves that they can. It's also easy to get salty if you think your opponent is playing cheaply or being annoying in their tactics, so you might go out of your way to annoy them in return by running down the clock, playing super defensively, etc.

I think it was teknopathic who opened my eyes to the alpha counter whenever Rolento is putting pressure on. I stomped a Rolento player tonight 6 or 7 games in a row. It was fun - I stayed out of slide kick range, when he jumped in I anti-aired him for a free 350 dmg combo, and if he started pressuring me with blockstrings I just alpha countered him off. By the end he was so scared to baton twirl, which saved me a few times because he would poke me with cr LP but not finish off the combo with the baton twirl because he had lost his muscle memory for it.

I always have trouble with Rolento's. :(
But I do look forward to playing Hugo and Rufus players now thanks to the Kazuya infinite, lol.

sleepykyo

Went back and revisited my team in their Tekken 6 counterparts, man I wish they implemented Ninas butter fly flap lol and given law some upper body invincible stuff without meter for evasion.

I think a lot of Tekken characters need some better jab pressure answers from SF characters besides burning meter or guessing too hard after blocking.
They should have given Nina her while standing knee on the half circle toward move . With the throw as the only follow up everyone is just going mash an attack out.

Jenga

Banned
my friend's rolento baits out alpha counters

it's pretty disgusting

in the end i think top tier (point) characters will be defined by 3 things

1. meter building/dependence
2. ability to handle/dish out zoning (ie fireball wars)
3. tag in ability

1 is pretty important, but 2 and 3 are critical

3 is very important because that's where you can put those characters without 2

oh yeah and anti air

LakeEarth

Why do I always forget to combo, I'm so used to punish people with well placed flashkicks.
But you can do so much more, but my first reaction is always FLASHKICK!!!

My suggestion is to go into training mode, do nothing but that combo for 5-10 minutes, go online, and only do that combo when the opportunity arises for at least 10-20 matches. By then, it'll be in your repertoire and you'll do it whenever.

Worked with my Kazuya tag cancel. Whenever I get the hit I always do a combo that keeps Kazuya in, but I believe if you have any recoverable life, you should always tag cancel in your partner to recover it (instead of waiting til you're almost dead). So I worked on a combo that leads to a tag cancel and now I'm winning more.

SRK is badass for soaking up info about characters in the char forums. Other than that, the only other thing it seems good for is area networking.

the rest seems like your usual circle jerk fgc bullshit

but hey, the things it does best are pretty badass. i also like SRK frontpage, updated often and has cool shit usually

This I can agree with. If you need combos or information on a character, there is none better.

Their GD threads related to games are pretty cool too.

The General GD forum, though......God Almighty.

Shouta

So outside of the sound issue, what exactly does everyone hate aout the net code?

Frame drops and general smoothness is pretty ass. Even with white connections, the game feels different compared to offline, at least to me.

Anyway, back to the adventures of Kuma and Law for me.

If your character has a decent reversal that is.

I don't think that's necessary, just use your + frame normal. I use Ryu and Kazuya and I've gotten plenty of counter hits or just hits in general from both of there cr. MP because people are still mashing jab or crouch tech because they haven't gotten SF4 out of there system yet.

Top Bottom