• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

w00t, it shipped!

Qanba-Q4-RAF-img00__90156_zoom.jpg
Nice. It's a bitchin' stick.

Ferrio

Banned
If you remember your gem number before you sit down, doesn't the time saved by select screen button check basically negate any extra time spent setting gem numbers?

I mean, in SFIV and Marvel, people do have to pick everything, start a game, check buttons, back out..... bleeh.

So far the "DLC" gem packs are all free. I suppose TOs would be responsible for downloading all the free DLC to the host system just as they have to make sure patches are downloaded, as well as costume packs, and DLC characters such as Jill and Shuma, or the characters in MK9.

So far they're not due to all the preorder, LE stuff. Such a horrible blatent cash grab, even worse than the DLC chars. I mean least the DLC characters required some work... the gems are just variables that they change. BOOM instant new gem creation.

I just hope they remain permenantly banned. Having the community support systems where money gives gameplay advantages is bad.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So what did capcom say about the tourney patch/update? All I see on the stream is mactches with nina/raven.

The patch lets each player simultaneously set a new custom gem unit in offline versus after they pick characters.

You scroll through the list of gems by color (gem type) and ID number. The versus screen does remember your previous settings between matches so you don't have to reset the gem unit every time you start the next set.

Also, boost and assist gems are separate categories so that people cannot accidentally pick assist gems - aka, I'd theorize assist gems would be outright banned (I'd recommend it) since they mess with the game mechanics like tech throws.

It doesn't require a player to have a personal game save to set their gem unit up at the select screen, it just makes available whatever gems are installed on the console to players on both sides.

Kai Dracon

So far they're not due to all the preorder, LE stuff. Such a horrible blatent cash grab, even worse than the DLC chars. I mean least the DLC characters required some work... the gems are just variable than they change.

I just hope they remain permenantly banned. Having the community support systems where money gives gameplay advantages is bad.

I'm remaining highly theoretical here. We don't know if the pre-order gems are what's in the "free" gem packs coming up. Interestingly, the NUMBER of gem packs being released for free seems to match the pre-order / LE sets... I think.

If they make all the gems so far free to download at that point, OK, fine. If not then yes there's a problem.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm remaining highly theoretical here. We don't know if the pre-order gems are what's in the "free" gem packs coming up. Interestingly, the NUMBER of gem packs being released for free seems to match the pre-order / LE sets... I think.

If they make all the gems so far free to download at that point, OK, fine. If not then yes there's a problem.

I highly doubt they'll all be free, I think they would of announced that already. We know we're getting some free (60?) But we know that there's like 300 of the damn things.

Combined with the fact the game hints you should go to the store to get better gems is a good indication.

I swear this game is one big marketing test. I hope as a community we don't fail it.

Edit: Oh I see it now... wtf, you have to memorize them all now!?
honestly, if they had a better numbering system it'd be a lot easier to memorize, for example:
pa1 = power land 5 hits lvl1 gem
pb3 = power land 3 specials lvl 3 gem
fe2 = fortitude block 4 attacks lvl 2 gem

if you wanted all attack gems, it'd be really easy: pa1, pb1, pc1. or all defense gems: fa1, fb1, fc1.

VgCqq.jpg

Wouldn't using something like this to select numbers be faster? They could even say it was inspired by Tekken notation lol.
One, how would you select 0 if it's at neutral? Leave it there for a certain amount of time? Two, the picture uses numbers but it's not even close to "Tekken notation" (look at your numpad).

sleepykyo

sim's slide has 8 active frames, so if you space it perfectly, you should be able to get +1 on block with it. guile's knee bazooka has 4 active frames, so at best it'll be neutral on block.

however, jin's far standing jab is 5 frames. you should go with the crouching jab instead, which is 3 frames.

well theres storing the gems on you're flash drive, but i really don't think everyone is gonna be doing that. it'd be pretty cool if madcatz made sfxt sticks wit flash memory built-in to it. otherwise, just write down your numbers on your phone or a piece of paper or something.
I´ve been using crouching jab. Dang it.

Konosuke

One, how would you select 0 if it's at neutral? Leave it there for a certain amount of time? Two, the picture uses numbers but it's not even close to "Tekken notation" (look at your numpad).

Nah, you would leave it at neutral and press X/A to select, O/B to undo. I don't really know how Tekken notation works, I just know it uses numbers x)

Jason2slow

Neo Member
Tekken notation is easiest, it uses the keypad on your keyboard for directions:

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

8 up, 2 down, 4 left and 6 right.

Edit - beaten.

DRE Fei

At least this new patch will make it easier to remove gems at the character select screen if necessary.

I actually like the gem system, but they really screwed up by not having a quick selection process on day one. This new number selection thing they have I guess is the best way to salvage the situation.

Hopefully they will do the right thing and make the preorder stuff available to everyone. I got the special edition and certain gems are flat out better than their "default" counterparts, which is exactly what they said would not be the case. There's plenty of money to be made with characters/costumes without resorting to this "pay to win" nonsense.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wild guess time: Seth Killian had no input whatsoever on this tournament patch.

Konosuke

Tekken notation is easiest, it uses the keypad on your keyboard for directions:

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

8 up, 2 down, 4 left and 6 right.

Edit - beaten.

It wouldn't really matter how the numbers would be displayed, although I agree with you both that numpad config would be easier, a method like this feels faster than scrolling down a list of numbers imo.

deim0s

honestly, if they had a better numbering system it'd be a lot easier to memorize, for example:
pa1 = power land 5 hits lvl1 gem
pb3 = power land 3 specials lvl 3 gem
fe2 = fortitude block 4 attacks lvl 2 gem

if you wanted all attack gems, it'd be really easy: pa1, pb1, pc1. or all defense gems: fa1, fb1, fc1.

They could've added a small description/info about the gem tho - would it hurt the ui? Not much, since it's a mess already.

ElFly

Just saw the weirdest instance of rollback.

The game went back and forth between me grabbing Hugo in a SPD, and Hugo jumping away from it. It rollbacked like four times, and in the end my SPD won out.

Woooo.

e: tekken notation is the worst, leave that out of my sf

Have people figured out how ass this game is yet? Nothing is worse than hitting up the arcade and being stuck playing the same dude at SSFIV over and over while everyone is huddle around this fraud of a game. I should feel lucky to have an arcade scene here, but with these trends they might as well all close. Yeah, I'm bitter. People falling for the hype and better recognize the error of their ways soon!

VgCqq.jpg

Wouldn't using something like this to select numbers be faster? They could even say it was inspired by Tekken notation lol.

That shit is retarded...

5 = neutral

what is wrong with that shit? It has been used forever and works.

Edit: guess I was beaten like 50 times to this. but seriously it needed to be repeated. This notation works for everything. I can see why it isn't used for say Street Fighter, but even then it works just fine for it... and should be used for every game that isn't street fighter. Not to mention every time this notation is used people cry and act like it is rocket science to figure out ugh thx

SUPARSTARX

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36184405 said:
Have people figured out how ass this game is yet? Nothing is worse than hitting up the arcade and being stuck playing the same dude at SSFIV over and over while everyone is huddle around this fraud of a game. I should feel lucky to have an arcade scene here, but with these trends they might as well all close. Yeah, I'm bitter. People falling for the hype and better recognize the error of their ways soon!

This game is 2 weeks old. Give it some time to grow out of the SF4 wannabe stage.

Everytime someone uses the keypad notation, I have to stop and think about what they are saying.

I've been using it for YEARS.

It's too easy and simple. i have a hard time believing you have actually used it for years. Not to mention it makes writing up combos for posts so quick and simple. Probably more like you had to figure it out once or twice in years when someone posted a combo online using this notation. Seriously, convert a few combos you use a lot into it and you'll be good to go.

This game is 2 weeks old. Give it some time to grow out of the SF4 wannabe stage.

People trying to play this like SSFIV isn't the main issue I'm seeing here.

Online is total ass. I will be MAJORLY surprised to see Capcom fix anything more than the sound issues. Really, how can they release a game in 2012 and have the online be so much worse than SSFIV? SSFIV is actually really decent so this hurts and makes me really question future Capcom purchases.

Infinites. Yeah they can be patched, and probably will. But with so much of this shit being found at such an early stage, and most of the inputs being so easy to accomplish these combos... I'm afraid what kind of fucked up shit is going to show its ugly face down the road.

Chain combos is a huge issue for this game to me. It makes the footsies too strong. Sometimes I feel like this game should have been called 3S Chun x Tekken. Walk back and forth and poke into damaging shit all day. Matter of fact, this shit is worse than 3S cause there is no parry and anti-airs are such ass.

I could go on, but I really hate this game right now. If shit changes down the road fedex me your shoe and I'll eat it.

frank "trashman" reynolds said:
why hate on the game? it's not meant to replace sf4 nor is it meant to replace mvc3. you're free to play sf4, just as those who like mvc3 are free to play mvc3. wanting the game to fail just because you don't like it is kinda silly.

joe2187

Banned
I'm really loving the way Julia plays, and have been playing with Bob as well, they seem like really good characters that fit my type of play. I really want to do more with bob, his combos dont do a great amount of damage, seems like Julia is my hard hitter, whereas bob has alot of neat little tricks to play headgames with.

He's weird to play, anybody got any tips for Julia/Bob

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
HAAAAAA they used my gem idea.

dat numeric code.

Edit: i'm catching up on the stream now.

Edit: damn this shit is still clunky though

Edit: botched. I see they did not mention the USB stick support at all. I'm betting thats not going to happen.

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36184405 said:

You sound like a bitter ex-girlfriend in this post.

why hate on the game? it's not meant to replace sf4 nor is it meant to replace mvc3. you're free to play sf4, just as those who like mvc3 are free to play mvc3. wanting the game to fail just because you don't like it is kinda silly.

It's not just random hate for the sake of it. I truly dislike it. If 6 months from now it is still popular shit so be it. I'll will stick with SSFIV and find other games to get into. I am making it a goal to learn KoFXIII if Skullgirls isn't my thing. At least with KoFXIII it has that dedicated audience that won't ditch a game on a dime. The Capcom players these days seem so ADD willing to move onto anything hyped by Capcom regardless of quality. What happened to the dedicated dudes from Turbo and 3S!? I think they are still playing those games lol

Just need to get my nerdy FGC frustrations out. Try not to let me shit on anyone's parade that enjoys this game. I'm just being being a baby lol

SUPARSTARX

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36184747 said:

Online is total ass. I will be MAJORLY surprised to see Capcom fix anything more than the sound issues. Really, how can they release a game in 2012 and have the online be so much worse than SSFIV? SSFIV is actually really decent so this hurts and makes me really question future Capcom purchases.

Infinites. Yeah they can be patched, and probably will. But with so much of this shit being found at such an early stage, and most of the inputs being so easy to accomplish these combos... I'm afraid what kind of fucked up shit is going to show its ugly face down the road.

Chain combos is a huge issue for this game to me. It makes the footsies too strong. Sometimes I feel like this game should have been called 3S Chun x Tekken. Walk back and forth and poke into damaging shit all day. Matter of fact, this shit is worse than 3S cause there is no parry and anti-airs are such ass.

I could go on, but I really hate this game right now. If shit changes down the road fedex me your shoe and I'll eat it.
Better to find these glitches and bugs early on than later. You're talking like things Capcom's Japanese in house Q&A team of like a few dozen people versus hundreds of thousands of people who bought this game and are seeking to find all the stuff they can exploit asap... it's rough. I'm not saying they're perfect but nothing in the world of software gets delivered 100% bug free. That will flesh out on it's own. For crying out loud, Chun Li's infinite is still in AE2012. And so is Dudley's.

Also, if you're raging at chain combos and footsies, that's just how this game is made on the surface. There's a bit more to the meta game but if you're not happy with how that plays out then I'm sorry for you. Skullgirls is around the corner if you are a fan of fighting games. This is a heavy spacing oriented game at the moment, so naturally if you are not in the right spots and get clipped with moves. And anti airs are stronger in this game. I don't know why people obsess so much over grounded anti-airs. Air to air is a very viable tactic and the Tekken characters actually have a lot of good air to air options. Counter hits mid-air = make them eat a fat juggle on the way down.

This game has been a great refresh for me from playing SF4 and MVC3.

Kai Dracon

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36184747 said:

The online is something a ton of people are praising because it works beautifully for them. Look, the online of EVERY single fighting game outside *maybe* BlazBlue always causes a certain percentage of people who storm in saying it's complete ass and the worst ever, because for whatever reason it works crappily for them. On their connection, in their region, against the people they try to play with.

There's tons of people still saying SFIV is ass because it doesn't work for them. Tons say UMVC3 is ass. Then there's tons of people who say the netcode in those is good, because it does work for them. Fighting games, no matter the type of net code, are a bitch.

Aside from that... calling the game a "fraud" sounds kind of like SRK front page nonsense at this point. It has some infinites that they're patching anyway, but that means it will be trash" later... can't deal with chain combos even though I haven't (personally) seen a single pro tearing into the game cry about chain combos ruining the game, etc.

Sorry, it's just - every time a new FG comes out, there's a type of person who runs out with bells on crying "FRAUD! Stop playing this trash now and keep playing what I'm competing in!"

There's just as many of that type who still scream SFIV is pure fraud for *list of reasons*, and huff that they're going back to 3rd Strike. Oddly, they keep coming back huffing 3 years later. It's kind of a cycle.

joe2187

Banned
I dont even notice the sound issue anymore, (sad that I got used to it) The only thing that pisses me off is when the hit sparks dont come out when I get hit, making me believe that I'm blocking the move in the middle of a combo and get hit more. And the rollback thing is seriously jarring, as it fucks me up more, alot of times I'll have a combo that hits, or an EX or special move hit and immediately it rolls back to me standing there and the opponent far away from me, It happened when my cammy super hit and online opponent and 3 seconds later I'm back at the far right of the screen get my shit kicked in.

TheOGB

Banned
Been on a BP rollercoaster today. Am I the only one that can go into Trial mode and do those alright but then not remember to actually use that stuff online? I'm looking at some of my replays and there are more than a few situations I could've gotten a win if I did a combo instead of one or two moves canceled into a special. :/

Just memorize the numbers...
236 = douken
623 = sure you can
214 = pound cake
41236 = donkeys
63214 = butt slam
360 = SPD
I'm gonna see this combination of numbers somewhere and get hungry

EDIT: Was in a 4-way Scramble Battle the other day... jesuschristhowhorrifying.jpg

Been on a BP rollercoaster today. Am I the only one that can go into Trial mode and do those alright but then not remember to actually use that stuff online? I'm looking at some of my replays and there are more than a few situations I could've gotten a win if I did a combo instead of one or two moves canceled into a special. :/

I'm gonna see this combination of numbers somewhere and get hungry

EDIT: Was in a 4-way Scramble Battle the other day... jesuschristhowhorrifying.jpg

I'D LIKE SOME POUUUUUUUUUUND CAKE

I don't know how much this has been discussed, but how do you guys feel about the beginning of each round when the "Fight" logo comes toward the screen as the match begins. When I try to rush in at the beginning of the rounds with either a dash or Kazuya's mist step, I'm the one who gets hit first a lot because the logo blinds me for a very short moment and I lose my concentration and sight of where my opponent is. Now I just back dash because I don't want to take any risk. Whenever Capcom releases a patch to remove infinites and glitches, is it possible for them to remove that as well? Maybe that was something intentional, I don't know. But does it bother you guys like it does me?

Top Bottom