• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Wow. After making my way through Arcade mode for some extra training (screw the final bosses of fighting games, seriously, will they ever learn?) I was messing around in Arcade with random people waiting to pick somebody up at a fight request.

First person I fight against with my Cammy/King combo is an Akuma/Jin. I'm expecting to get my ass handed to me because in both SSFIV and MvC3 it took me quite a few matches before I was comfortable enough to get anywhere close to winning. Despite some serious lag at the beginning and the sound issues I was expecting, I cleaned this guys clock. Juggling Jin in the corner with King and finishing him off with a Cammy Super Arts in round one, and then round 2 he didn't even switch out Akuma before I'd beaten him senseless (nearly got a perfect, only got off one stray fireball hit on King. Sad face.)

Now I'm sure if I'm up against actually skilled players I'm going to get my ass handed to me but it's nice to know some sort of skills have transferred over from playing SSFIV and MvC3. Maybe I'm not as terrible as I think I am.

AAK

... So is anyone still using Asuka? Are you guys enjoying playing as her? Learning her for fun right now after playing team taekwondo almost exclusively until now. Question I'm not sure about, is her anti-air throw a good option to catch jump ins like how Marduk does?

sleepykyo

I feel the same way. That's why I love st. Not a whole lot of execution barrier, and the stuff that is hard is only hard until you know how to execute it. 1 frame links in this game can go die in a fire.
ST had tight links as well and option selects. It just wasn't common practice back then .

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm looking for a "teacher" per se.

I realize that I don't know many matchups against people who adequately know how to use their characters. I know only how to defend against characters I use (Juri/Hwoarang)

So with that being said I want to know if there's anyone that can help me get some matchup experience. Especially against the Mishimas (Jin included)

If you are willing to help me then let me know, my psn is omicronpro.

I'm down if you want some Ogre/Julia match up exp.

I'm looking for a "teacher" per se.

I'm in the same boat. I'll probably be looking for a teacher to spar with in the next week or so, but I want to spend some more time in training and doing the trials to see which characters I really like. Cammy and King are already yeses, and I enjoy Juri and Abel from SSFIV as well. Raven and Hwoarang are probably the next ones from Tekken I'll be looking at. Once I get a really comfortable team down I'd like to have some help. I like Cammy/King as Cammy->speed, King->power + meter buildup, but I'm not comfortable with their zoning options at the moment. If I get in close with King I'm fine but one wrong throw attempt and I'm getting my butt handed to me I'm sure.

AAK

Honestly, I have no idea how to make Hwoarang's flamingo stance viable in any way shape or form. It has some relatively safe strings that can be chained into your super pretty easily, but to put your opponent in a situation where you are in range and stance to execute them is just futile. And the linking required for the max damage combo is beyond me.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
ST had tight links as well and option selects. It just wasn't common practice back then .

This is the thing that always got me with protests about links and even option selects in SFIV... it's nothing new.

I guess the question is though - is ST regularly played at higher levels using links and such, or are those things not really required?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
This is the thing that always got me with protests about links and even option selects in SFIV... it's nothing new.

I guess the question is though - is ST regularly played at higher levels using links and such, or are those things not really required?

I always found it kind of funny that they gave option selects a name in the first place.

ggs psn. Dropped a shitton of combos/juggle opportunities with Nina, but im getting pretty comfortable with Guile now. Need to hit up training mode and practice tag combos soon.

Same boat. But won't that be a good motivator to practice and improve your executions while you keep playing em?

I suppose, but after 3 years or so of keeping up with fighting games I don't think my finger dexterity will improve all that much. It kind of sucks, after all this time the only characters that I do decently with are the footsie ones. I wanna do swaggy shit too :(

That said the requirements in this game are a bit lower, which is nice. I just chose to go with one of the harder characters in the game (Steve)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
ggs psn. Dropped a shitton of combos/juggle opportunities with Nina, but im getting pretty comfortable with Guile now. Need to hit up training mode and practice tag combos soon.

Guile is so awesome in this, and Nina's jump Hp hit box and hurt box seem realllly fucked up in her favor xD

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
... So is anyone still using Asuka? Are you guys enjoying playing as her? Learning her for fun right now after playing team taekwondo almost exclusively until now. Question I'm not sure about, is her anti-air throw a good option to catch jump ins like how Marduk does?

Will use Asuka in one way or another till the end of this games life :) Her AA throw is pretty much "Useful for combos" when used normally, and "a solid Anti-air" when used as an EX. The nice thing about it is that either form can be followed up with a c.HK, so you always get some decent damage + the hard knockdown with it.

I never felt like OS and links decided my fate as much in ST. Sure, they're there, but they are more of the exception, rather than the rule.

I think it's much more, in the end, than just those options, though. It's also how the rest of the game has shifted, and pushed those details to the forefront.

Easier reversals, more auto-correct options, less-intuitive jump archs and crossup hitboxes, EX moves, less damage off basic combos, more reliance on dizzy combos and vortex-inducing situations, more animation dedicated to moves and enemey reactions... It makes it feel like there's a lot more stuff for a dedicated SFIV-series player to use over their more casually-dedicated buddies.

A person feels less "outclassed" in ST in a fight, because what they're doing, and what a higher-level player is doing, doesn't look as different. Nor does it feel so different, as the damage level of stuff is so high, normal B&Bs are very effective.

I think SF x T does a good job at getting back to the ST feel, but in the oposite way; it gives so many options, that even a "chain masher" doesn't feel (or look) too different than a "link-master" who ends their combos in much the same way (EX, Super, Partner-Tag, etc). There's a wider variety of easier links on characters, and you can DO more with those easy links, making the whole idea seem more universally appealing. The new variety to wake-up makes one feel as if they actually got to attempt to get out of something (even without a DP), moreso than vortex-to-death situations did in SFIV, anyway.

Never would have thought it at first, but this might be the most universally appealing Capcom fighter this generation? Hmmm...

LowParry

I think I've settled on my teams.

Vega/Kaz
Julia/Kuma

Though I've had some odd times with Vega and hitting with this ST. I'm close in for a cr.MP into ST but it whiffs right through them. Pretty annoying. I can do it in arcade mode just fine. Not sure if it's a character specific thing or online. I dunno. But either way, I'm having fun with these teams. Time to find a third team!

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Vega's wall jump move into izuna drop freaking grabs above ogres orb hitbox xD

And I don't know if it's lag or whatever, but Im having throws beat out julia's lk rising kick and ogres orb as wake up reversals. Like the first few frames of the move are there then I get thrown

vocab

I don't feel like links in ST are even links. It's just basic combos that don't feel like a chore to do. It has to do with game speed really. Recovery is really fast in general. Links are used at high level, but they are not setup like they are in SFIV. They are just something you either go for or you don't, and if you miss the link you don't eat a srk in the face unless it's a reversal which aren't brain dead easy in ST. Most of the damage comes from 2 in 1's, and pokes. God forbid you touch of death someone, or get like a 2 hit dizzy which happens once in a blue moon.

Basically you can double perfect someone without ever performing a link

Also, the option selects in this game are kind of few and far between. I know there's one for Ryu in the corner, and the Thawk Negative edge option select, but I can't think of ones that are used very often.

Anyway, maybe I'm just used to fast games in general. When I have to slow my button presses to combo it feels like I'm handicapping my self to become more effective which doesn't feel natural.

Degen

PSN GAF is getting too good at combos... Grappling just doesn't mean what it used to.

GGs... *gets carried away on a stretcher*

I know hugo's damage is brain-dead insane, but I am almost taking more offense with how he can punish jump backs.

You can almost reaction punish jump backs, and if you whiff, guess what? You're so far on the other side of the screen that it's safe. Sure, hugo is slow as hell except the part where he moves full screen via air grab. WTF.

The only way to get away from this dude is to backdash, but then you can easily get slapped or clotheslined. =/

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Vega's wall jump move into izuna drop freaking grabs above ogres orb hitbox xD

And I don't know if it's lag or whatever, but Im having throws beat out julia's lk rising kick and ogres orb as wake up reversals. Like the first few frames of the move are there then I get thrown

That just makes them like Viper's HP thunder knuckle reversal, right? First few frames are strike incinvible, but are completly open to throws.

CcrooK said:
Though I've had some odd times with Vega and hitting with this ST. I'm close in for a cr.MP into ST but it whiffs right through them. Pretty annoying. I can do it in arcade mode just fine. Not sure if it's a character specific thing or online. I dunno. But either way, I'm having fun with these teams. Time to find a third team!

As far as I can tell, ST just doesn't hit crouching opponents. It really makes me never want to use it in combos, as crouching is VERY popular in this game. Does close HP force standing for the opponent though? If so, that's the perfect beginning to such combos.

The only way to get away from this dude is to backdash, but then you can easily get slapped or clotheslined. =/

Don't forget, if your backdash makes you go airborn, BACK BREKKA will ALSO catch and punish THAT as well! So for some characters, even THAT is not an option :(

--------

Good as time as any to mention, I dislike this game's training mode VS KoF XIII's, heh heh. Every fighting game needs a default "on guard jump" option now. Especially a game like this, where you can get SO many interesting situations by countering someone who jumps out your pressure (like how Heihachi's hit->overhead totally obliterates and bounds people who try to jump out of his mixups). It's also a great way to test the safety/advantage of moves. XIII also allows a 2nd player to instantly press start and join a training game, as well as having a button shortcut for resetting back to neutral, rather than going to the menu to do it.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Some guy that I'm sure is from neogaf added me last night.
He invited me to a match while i was playing Twisted Metal.
The match type was scramble, it was my first time playing online.
So my BP were 0.
I wasn't aware that you could summon a team mate by hitting select.
Him & a friend of his boxed in my CPU partner or kept spamming spinning clotheslines with Zangief. Then Did the super, over & over again, no combos, no fighting just chaotic bullshit poke traps & spam.

I wasn't aware that these were ranked so before playing any true online matches my record got fucked up 4 times. I got kicked out of the lobby then deleted by this bitch.
I then proceeded to wreck the worlds of randoms ranked online.
The way the game was meant to be played.
These scramble modes seem good on paper but they are quiet glitchy with two coordinated people fight you & a CPU. Does anybody agree that scramble battles aren't an indicator of skill in this game?

He has Hugo as an avatar on PSN & his name started with a C.
I'm calling you out on a regular tag type match solo. You are a cheesy player that lacks skill. I will combo you into oblivion. Normally I don't get bent out of shape over these things but these shit stain repeatedly added me to a match when i accepted I was double teamed. I expected the game to be played as intended.
I hope you have more skills then you displayed with your spamtastic tactics.

This guy he had a b rank I see why with cheap wins.
I am just starting out online & know I can wreck your shit!
I want a BP boost off of your lame cheesing ass!

Step forward be a man & collect your virtual ass whooping.

dis-gon-b-gud.gif

So my BP were 0.
Him & a friend of his boxed in my CPU partner or kept spamming spinning clotheslines with Zangief. Then Did the super, over & over again, no combos, no fighting just chaotic bullshit poke traps & spam.

I wasn't aware that these were ranked so before playing any true online matches my record got fucked up 4 times. I got kicked out of the lobby then deleted by this bitch.
These scramble modes seem good on paper but they are quiet glitchy with two coordinated people fight you & a CPU. Does anybody agree that scramble battles aren't an indicator of skill in this game?

I'm calling you out on a regular tag type match solo. You are a cheesy player that lacks skill. I will combo you into oblivion. Normally I don't get bent out of shape over these things but these shit stain repeatedly added me to a match when i accepted I was double teamed. I expected the game to be played as intended.

Look him up in your Players Met history?

KiNeSiS

Banned
Look him up in your Players Met history?

Believe me I tried, Maybe since I was on his friends list he didn't show in players met.
Oddly his match requests messages were no longer in my inbox.
Maybe those go away, but after approving friends their friend request message usually remains.
So match requests should as well.
Wouldn't be surprised if he blocked me. I know toddlers that can put together better strategies....

Toski

I'm doing Akuma's trials, and for some reason the game thinks that hcb, f means shoryuken.

I know there is easy inputs, but that is stupid. It makes doing the hcb hadoken difficult to do consistently.

Edit: After further testing hcf, b gives me the move I want when it is a hcb motion. I wonder what Capcom did to the input system to make it do this.
This is on Xbox btw.

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
I'm doing Akuma's trials, and for some reason the game thinks that hcb, f means shoryuken.

I know there is easy inputs, but that is stupid. It makes doing the hcb hadoken difficult to do consistently.

Why are you ending in forward if you're trying to do the HCB fireball in the first place? That makes no sense at all.

Believe me I tried, Maybe since I was on his friends list he didn't show in players met.
Maybe those go away, but after approving friends their friend request message usually remains.
Wouldn't be surprised if he blocked me. I know toddlers that can put together better strategies....

I think I know who you're talking about. I believe he added me as well. His username is Commandoscv with a picture of Hugo from Third Strike Online? I've never played him though.

Toski

Why are you ending in forward if you're trying to do the HCB fireball in the first place? That makes no sense at all.

Because the stick will "bounce" or deflect from the left microswitch to the right one causing a right input to come after the left input. I should either get the move I wanted or a normal, not a shoryuken. Add to the fact that hcf, b results in a move with a hcb motion and you might end up getting something you don't want because the shortcuts gave you a move that you didn't input.

Mognet

I think you can view your previous invites by pressing the "Confirm Invitations" button (I think it's select or start) while on the online menu.

Geniuzz

If it's within the last 30 matches, you could find him in your battle log, right? His name should show up in the replay.

alstein

With ST/HDR, the punishment for missing a link was usually just missing out on damage, you were safe afterwards. In SF4, you miss a link, you generally got punished for it, on top of missing the damage.

I think when people complain about those mechanics in SF4, they're complaining about other problems, not so much the OS's.

As for SFvsTK, the big issue I have with the game is how it seems to boil down to jab mashing. It's like the other options are too risky.

So my BP were 0.

FFFUUUU!!!! CAN IT BE A GRUDGE MATCH? CAN KADEY HOST IT??

Sorry for the noob question, but what does "ST" stand for?

I need to learn the Tekken character strings, I eat so many frakking overheads. That stupid Kazuya kick looks like he's hitting my shins, how the hell is that a mid!

/salt

Jenga

Banned
Honestly, I have no idea how to make Hwoarang's flamingo stance viable in any way shape or form. It has some relatively safe strings that can be chained into your super pretty easily, but to put your opponent in a situation where you are in range and stance to execute them is just futile. And the linking required for the max damage combo is beyond me.

It's not something you can just go into randomly, it was basically designed as a corner pressure tool. You hit them from a counter hit, push em into the corner and end it at flamingo stance which has better range/hitboxes than his regular normals. It's something you're supposed to combo into from his regular stance for continued pressure. Although characters with good reversals won't give a shit.

Jenga

Banned
For example wake up ex furyfist, that move has like 16 frames of invincibility, I never use it

anyone who doesn't know how it works will get fucked, the ones who do will just let you waste the meter

His ex dragon charge also has armor, but I've never incorporated into my game.
great for counter poking with kick or overhead or whatever

not much use elsewise

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
Because the stick will "bounce" or deflect from the left microswitch to the right one causing a right input to come after the left input. I should either get the move I wanted or a normal, not a shoryuken. Add to the fact that hcf, b results in a move with a hcb motion and you might end up getting something you don't want because the shortcuts gave you a move that you didn't input.

I don't know what kind of stick you have but I've never had that kind of thing happen with my original TE. You can be mad about input shortcuts as much as you want, but the real heart of the matter is that you need to Clean Up Your Inputs.

Threi

notag
So my BP were 0.

i respect the shit out of this

AAK

It's not something you can just go into randomly, it was basically designed as a corner pressure tool. You hit them from a counter hit, push em into the corner and end it at flamingo stance which has better range/hitboxes than his regular normals. It's something you're supposed to combo into from his regular stance for continued pressure. Although characters with good reversals won't give a shit.

Interesting, thanks for the input.

Top Bottom