• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

So, who plays Steve?

From what I understand, I should be walking forward carefully and quick spinning to get up close. Then pressuring with st.lp and British Edge (f.lp + f.mp). Finally, confirming from BE to cr.mp into combo?

Or, I should be looking for CH on British Edge so I can just land cr.hp.

Just really not sure how to apply appropriate pressure, and I should work on my confirms.

So, who plays Steve?

From what I understand, I should be walking forward carefully and quick spinning to get up close. Then pressuring with st.lp and British Edge (f.lp + f.mp). Finally, confirming from BE to cr.mp into combo?

Just really not sure how to apply appropriate pressure, and I should work on my confirms.

I hate BE. I always do it by accident :p. I just walk forward and try hit confirm a C.MP then get damage from there. Look up Masarap and Marn's videos for some Steve knowledge

and I swear I go matches without winning air to air once. Honestly losing one air to air is like 400 damage. Come on

Okay, Alpha Counters are now free. Now everyone is alphacountering every blockstring. So fun!

It would kill predictable strings and would lead to more creativity in high/low mixups and baiting.

While I'm not asking for a parry, it's just way too expensive right now and a second later your back in the same situation that lead you to use it.

Block stun in this game is outrageous.

I hate BE. I always do it by accident :p. I just walk forward and try hit confirm a C.MP then get damage from there. Look up Masarap and Marn's videos for some Steve knowledge

and I swear I go matches without winning air to air once. Honestly losing one air to air is like 400 damage. Come on

Well I mean

Steve's jump trajectory is miserable. What's his best air-to-air tool? j.hk? j.mp?

Thanks for the tips.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
It would kill predictable strings and would lead to more creativity in high/low mixups and baiting.

While I'm not asking for a parry, it's just way too expensive right now and a second later your back in the same situation that lead you to use it.

Block stun in this game is outrageous.

Meter gain is extremely high as well.

Naite

So, who plays Steve?

A lot of people like to use ducking body (fMP, LP) as well, but I personally don't use it because on hit I often miss the link afterwards or I underestimate the range and whiff the 2nd hit. I like to abuse crMP a lot since it links off so much things including itself. I like to do crMP into another crMP, or into stLP,crMP, etc. and randomly add in a hellfire or ducking fox hunt (I think hellfire can get punished if it's predicted, but I sure fox hunt is safe, I forget).

I haven't used quick spin that much unless I'm getting destroyed by air attacks, but I really wanna use it more for that counterhit punch.

Rocwell

I've been playing around with steve a bit. Foxhunt is going to be one of your most important tools. It does 120 dmg on hit, is safe-ish on block and it can cancel into ex moves for big damage. It also staggers on crouching counterhit so you get additional damage if they're pushing buttons between your blockstrings.

Steve's game basically revolves around getting in the opponent's face and staying there with frame advantage.

British Edge is good for this as it gives him lots of advantage on block and he can confirm on hit into cr.mp to start a combo of your choice. He can also cancel his normals into the flicker or peekaboo stances and then cancel those by crouching, drastically reducing recovery allowing him to do stuff like combo cl.hp into cr.hp. His ducking body is able to work similarly, by holding down back and flicker cancelling he gets quite a bit of advantage and can combo a cr. mp or cr.hp on hit although the timing is pretty tricky. Also ex hellfire is +frames on block so you can cancel a blocked foxhunt into it and continue pressuring.

Outside that though Steve has some problems... poor Antiair game, poor air to air game, weak reversals, slowish normals, no crossup, can't really combo off his slow-ass overhead, command grab only works on standing opponent... does a TON of damage though, finishes combos strong and stylishly.

I think he's gonna have problems though when people learn to stop pushing buttons against him. =\

These two guys on PSN just made my day.

I'm just playin my Ryu/Marduk team with no special tag combos or anything. I just do EX joudan, j HK, srk and some cr mk/cr mp > LK joudan combos and marduk's EX double leg takedown, lk, hk, gator slam.

They're playing Ryu/Sagat and they're pretty bad. So I play a zoning game with ryu's fireballs and dash cancel srk when they jump it. They rage so hard over the mic.

Second game, I just tag in Marduk and go in on them with some tick command grabs and standard crossups. During the win quote they're all like:

"wow, so fucking cheap with your UNLIMITED COMBOS and shit. You just play those two characters get a life faggot, I'm never playing you again noob"

Unlimited Combos. Marduk. LOL. I never woulda thunk that I would hear that from my Marduk play haha.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Last night was fun. Did a lot of stupid stuff. Like tagging in a near dead character and getting blown up for it despite having my opponent on the ropes. Still trying to adjust to ranges and timing of certain moves. I think a lot of people are right in saying the Tekken characters are more fun to use, at least it seems that way for me so far.

From the streaming side, it looks like Twitch fixed their issues which I had for the last month or so. Quality is back to the perfection I expected. No pixelation or muddiness at 720p 61fps.

GorillaJu

Japanese PSN players are extremely kind after a long set. Ive gotten a lot thank you messages and even some advice, both after sets where I largely dominated and those where I got my shit kicked around like a five dollar whore.

Tonight I'm taking the game to my girlfriend's parents' house to try and recruit her younger brother who is very good at Tekken. I used to play Tekken 5 with some SDT guys (the group MarkMan is a part of) and could hold my own but my gf's brother only gives up 1 or 2 rounds in a set of 15-ish. :/

Looks like the abbreviated form here is "スト鉄" (pronounced Sto-Tets) - "Sto" is the first two phonemes from the Japanese pronunciation of Street Fighter and "tets" is "tetsu," meaning metal/iron – the first kanji in Tekken (which means iron fist, of naturally).

I think a lot of people are right in saying the Tekken characters are more fun to use, at least it seems that way for me so far.

Capcom managed to retain some bit of the organic, less rigid feel of Tekken. I think Tekken is a more fun game to play than Street Fighter in terms of pure gameplay joy, but SF always trumps it in 1v1 fights, for me. In the end, Tekken players in SFxT feel really good to me. Especially Lili, Julia and Jin.

Also, why 61fps specifically? I try to watch your stream as I'm passing out in bed on my iPhone but the quality of video through Twitch's iOS app is shit, even when I'm over Wifi and not 3G. sadfrog.jpg

Japanese PSN players are extremely kind after a long set. Ive gotten a lot thank you messages and even some advice, both after sets where I largely dominated and those where I got my shit kicked around like a five dollar whore.

Tonight I'm taking the game to my girlfriend's parents' house to try and recruit her younger brother who is very good at Tekken. I used to play Tekken 5 with some SDT guys (the group MarkMan is a part of) and could hold my own but my gf's brother only gives up 1 or 2 rounds in a set of 15-ish. :/

Looks like the abbreviated form here is "スト鉄" (pronounced Sto-Tets) - "Sto" is the first two phonemes from the Japanese pronunciation of Street Fighter and "tets" is "tetsu," meaning metal/iron – the first kanji in Tekken (which means iron fist, of naturally).

Capcom managed to retain some bit of the organic, less rigid feel of Tekken. I think Tekken is a more fun game to play than Street Fighter in terms of pure gameplay joy, but SF always trumps it in 1v1 fights, for me. In the end, Tekken players in SFxT feel really good to me. Especially Lili, Julia and Jin.

Also, why 61fps specifically? I try to watch your stream as I'm passing out in bed on my iPhone but the quality of video through Twitch's iOS app is shit, even when I'm over Wifi and not 3G. sadfrog.jpg

I thought they called it ストクロ. I saw it on Ono's uniform for the game.

Either way it sounds kinda funky.

GorillaJu

I thought they called it ストクロ. I saw it on Ono's uniform for the game.

Either way it sounds kinda funky.

I've seen both. You're right though, that one is used too. It was my friend who called it スト鉄. Sounds better to me but "Sto kuro" isn't bad. Sounds like "street fighter black" 格好いい

It's easier to say than スト4, for me anyway I loathe any katakana-ized word that involves おあ or おー。For some reason it's my weakness. I can never remember which English words use which pronunciation (ie door is ドア but four is フォー I believe)

GorillaJu

Body Press > Did it hit? > No > Repeat

Frying pan -> did it hit? -> no -> repeat

I hope Hugo doesn't get nerfed into oblivion. At least not yet. If he does get changed it should be minor, and only after enough time has passed to get a more solid verdict on just how dominant he is.

Hugo is so ridiculous. I tried him out in a lobby where I was winning some/losing some and went on a streak until I got kicked. Like, I felt bad. I never had to tag except for once because I was bored.

His Body Splash -> cr MP -> lp Clap -> cr MP -> Lariat is so brain dead easy. Even when I wasn't connecting with the jab -> clap -> back breaker it was still doing 400 damage.

He's an incredibly solid character, especially for the time investment he requires which admittedly isn't all that much.

Jenga

Banned
i've seen sfxt vega in this game and he's cheap as hell

god help you if you play a tekken character that can't get over his cr.mp poke

GorillaJu

i've seen sfxt vega in this game and he's cheap as hell

god help you if you play a tekken character that can't get over his cr.mp poke

Crush it with a launcher.

But I agree. I hate fighting Vegas. Every time I come across one I just lose interest in playing the game.

Jenga

Banned
someone do me a favor and name a character that can deal with juri and rufus

i'll just main him right now, they dance all over everyone right now

and then someone that can completely shut hugo out...

that man...is he the king of muay thai!?

GorillaJu

Bruce isn't in the game yet. :p

Lili can deal well with both Juri and Rufus in my experience. Her anti-air leads to a full juggle combo and it's pretty damn safe. You can use it when you read a dive kick and not worry about being too early since it stuffs all air attacks.

Juri I'm not sure what people have trouble with. She doesn't seem particularly brutal.

Jenga

Banned
Juri I'm not sure what people have trouble with. She doesn't seem particularly brutal.
The Juri's I fight take advantage of her superior air game and the general lack of AA weakness of most characters. Oh, also they counter hit everything and pressure me to death in the corner. She is very fucking brutal in this game.

y2dvd

So I can't cancel Julia's dHP into f,f,MP like in that video. From what I understand, she's actually doing a dash cancel in order to do it? How do you do the dash cancel?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
For everything past vanilla SF the disc has always had both versions on the disc and changes depending which language is your default system language. So if you have your system set to English the game will default to English. That still has nothing to do with which PSN account you're logged in on for network play.

Dark Souls had worldwide servers but I'd assume it matches players by region as well. My JP version gets mostly Japanese players but I'm sure if I took it to America I'd get more American players. Battlefield 3 has Asian servers designated for us but we can usually tell quickly when we're on one based in California. Journey has been matching me with all non-JP players, although the JP version came out a week late (well for non-Plussers) so that one might be region-based. Anyway, every game has its own rules. For fighting games though, always best to go JPSN for real competition and your main PSN for practice/trophies.
I had noticed that about the recent Capcom fighters - quite cool being able to switch languages like that! Very interesting hearing about the various match-making on different games as well. My friend's been playing BF3 on his UK account here, but we haven't been able to tell who we're playing with, as his connection is pretty solid. Shooting folks is all the same, it seems. As for Jouney, I'm really curious to give that a try, especially seeing as it's similar to Dark Souls in that the online is anonymous.

Anyhoo, on topic: been messing around with Bob just because we share the name - I have zero Tekken experience to speak of. He seems pretty fun! If there's anyone taking him to an advanced level here, I'd like to hear your impressions.

There's just so much to play around with here, even before taking it online. Feels fresh and fairly accessible without being batpoop crazy like MvC3. Also played 4-player scramble mode today with local friends, and that was, well... novel. Definitely not to be taken seriously!
I like to read this thread and pretend my preorder isn't 2 weeks late...
Just wanted to say, I was waiting 3 days for my parcel and it felt like forever. You are more man than I.
Same guy, Hideyuki Fukasawa. The Tekken influence did a great thing got this soundtrack imo.
Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by the soundtrack too. Been catching myself humming a few catchy tunes - far, far improved from SFIV, that's for sure.

Jenga

Banned
Crossups feel much more stupid in this game, much more ambiguous, much more safe on much of the cast. They also seem to hit behind and land them in front, which happened much less in SF4 (or not at all, I don't remember). I can block all of it but it's still annoying as hell.

Culinary

So, who plays Steve?

I've been playing Steve alot lately. I think his neutral game is on the weaker side but he does have a tools:

CR.MP is his best poke. It frametraps and combos into itself so it's great for hit confirms.

CR.LP is a 4 frame startup jab, however it only links into itself. It's best chained into CR.MP. For punishes it's great. You can do CR.LP > CR.MP > ex. Sonic Fang into w/e bnb you typically use. It's not his best damage, but it's his only way to p
unish alot of moves / strings.

Hellfire/f.MP: These are your midscreen tools. I keep them all together because they all play off of each other. F.MP is where you are going to get the most damage from. The first hit is +4 on block, so it can be used for frame traps with CR.MP. However, f.MP gets outpoked by any character because it becomes active so late. I usually pelt my opponent with a few hellfires to make them think twice about whiffing their good pokes.

Df.MP is a great midscreen overhead. It flat out beats alot of character low options including Ryus CR.Mk.

LakeEarth

Damn, why do alpha counters have to cost meter?

Why even put them in the game if they're going to cost meter?

It should cost meter, but you have to spend 2 to tag in your opponent, reset the juggle counter and actually do some damage with it. That's a little high.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yeah, I'm pleasantly surprised by the soundtrack too. Been catching myself humming a few catchy tunes - far, far improved from SFIV, that's for sure.

While I do agree his fusion of pure Tekken music here produces a great mashup of styles, i never got the outpouring of hate for his previous music. The moment I heard the SFIV stage music in fact, I thought "this is really close to Tekken". I've gone back and played SFIV again after SFxT. Many/most of the stage tunes are close in style to this game. A couple may as well be in this game. The airfield stage sounds straight out of Tekken 5.

Sometimes I think it was culture shock of hearing that kind of music in Street Fighter, and perhaps by this point people have just gotten over it.

His stuff in MVC3 was also clearly updating the CPS2 sound (making an end run entirely around MVC2 jazz) and I shook my head at "this is crap, we want CPS2 music!"

To be completely fair music is subjective. It's just too bad that it's a topic where, when people don't prefer a style of music, they say it's objectively terrible.

Last night was fun. Did a lot of stupid stuff. Like tagging in a near dead character and getting blown up for it despite having my opponent on the ropes. Still trying to adjust to ranges and timing of certain moves. I think a lot of people are right in saying the Tekken characters are more fun to use, at least it seems that way for me so far.

From the streaming side, it looks like Twitch fixed their issues which I had for the last month or so. Quality is back to the perfection I expected. No pixelation or muddiness at 720p 61fps.
yup yups. i don't even like or play tekken, but the tekken characters in this game feel more fun to me.

zlatko

Banned
So, who plays Steve?

The times I do use him in a fight outside of training I:

Play a neutral game. That means I try to not go forward too much, and especially not back up. You want to slowly work them to the corner, but you don't want to maul them, because if you mess up his "get off me" options are limited as hell.

So when you do the neutral game, just fish for crouching MP. If they back off out of that range, try to do some hell fires, or whiff normals for meter.

Once I can connect with a hell fire, or crouching MP, I go for a forward MP + LP, flicker cancel into crouching jab. This all being blocked here is fine, as once you land the crouching jab, you can go right back to doing a forward MP, LP, cancel, or do a crouching MP into the QCF kick LP variant to stay on top of them. The nature of this game is at some point they WILL try to sneak in a button, and when they do, it's pain time to confirm into your BnB juicy combos.

It all sounds good on paper, but ultimately a lot of neutral jumping or reversal mashing, can ruin whatever pressure you try to keep.

Oh and one thing I don't do enough is his QCB move to counter. It can help a lot to sneak it in once in a while during footsies or yourself being pressured when enough space is opened up.

Hope this helps. Your best tool is crouching MP, abuse it, and if it counter hits, confirm into damage.

LakeEarth

is one of julia's dashing bullshit an overhead? I get hit by it and get crumpled.

Yup, the one where she hesitates before punching is an overhead and crumples. Really good to do as a meaty on your opponents wakeup (thus avoiding the part where you're wide open for a second or so). It's punishable if they block though.

Can you punish Hugo's autoblock move and Law's moves where he leaves you in a ton of blockstun?
"autoblock move" and "move where he leaves you in a lot of blockstun" lol. i'll assume you mean hugo's lariat which has super armor, and that is -7 on block and very much punishable. a very quick multi-hitting move will can also bypass the armor properties on it. for law, i'll assume you mean his fury fist where he punches a bazillion times? thats -5 on a block, but leaves him far enough that makes it hard to punish. all his moves that follow up a dragon charge are punishable though.

"So I can't cancel Julia's dHP into f,f,MP like in that video. From what I understand, she's actually doing a dash cancel in order to do it? How do you do the dash cancel?"

You do d.hp, cancel into qcb+p but hold down p to charge (I use HP, some people use MP and negative edge), ff.mp.

Top Bottom