• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Oh fucking hell, I was going to go to EVO to play SFxT and SCV (plus if someone brings some Gundam for the hell of it) but 2v2 pretty much means I can't play. Goddammit.
If you dont have a partner im sure you will meet someone there.

Dont miss the chance of going to EVO... like some other Gaffer... :(

d0c_zaius

i mentioned both you baboon

clearly you're not reading my posts

trying to read what is valid vs what is drowning in bitterness is rough. As I said before, I was going by this:

read the previous posts

1. finding a partner in a limited scene

2. finding a good partner

3. practising balanced around two separate schedules

4. possibility of losing a match in a fighting game due to someone other than yourself

bonus personal reason: on 360 and friends have this on fucking ps3

not one point mentions the functionality differences between 360 and ps3 when it comes to 2v2, which if you would have mentioned would be completely valid (and a good reason not to have it at evo) regardless of mod status.

but you points basically just cover the fact you have no one good to play with, which sucks for you.

and sad you feel the need to insult, but whatever good luck with that.

Jenga

Banned
They are not morons they just don't give a fuck about online. You guys are forgetting that Gaf is pro online, but the tournament scene that you watch on a weekly aren't really online warriors except for a few. Maybe 25% at the most.
not just "online warriors" but those who live in smaller areas that have to travel for the big scene

i have to drive about an hour to get to my local fighting shindig

in my actual hometown I have about 2-3 people who actually play this game

this thread got pretty sour pretty fast...

how about instead of people complaining about not being able to find partners, why doesn't someone start a "gaf evo team" thread?

Jenga

Banned
trying to read what is valid vs what is drowning in bitterness is rough. As I said before, I was going by this:

not one point mentions the functionality differences between 360 and ps3 when it comes to 2v2, which if you would have mentioned would be completely valid regardless of mod status.

but you points basically just cover the fact you have no one good to play with, which sucks for you.

and sad you feel the need to insult, but whatever good luck with that.
i implied it when i mentioned it on the ps3 vs 360 but you're right, I clearly didn't

still doesn't change the fact this is a terrible fucking decision

how about instead of everyone complaining about not being able to find partners, why doesn't someone start a "gaf evo team" thread?

I'd really be down with this honestly. Assuming I cannot find a partner here(just moved to houston so don't know anybody really) and I really would like to go to Evo for the first time this year.

Shouta

They are not morons they just don't give a fuck about online. You guys are forgetting that Gaf is pro online, but the tournament scene that you watch on a weekly aren't really online warriors except for a few. Maybe 25% at the most.

It's moronic regardless of whether or not they play online. They're reducing the pool of contestants for a new game. It's more hype sure, but shutting out a lot of people that want to play the game is bad for the long term health of the game.

Jenga

Banned

how about instead of people complaining about not being able to find partners, why doesn't someone start a "gaf evo team" thread?
online solo has never been taken seriously, i can't imagine online duo being taken seriously as well

notworksafe

You can't do it locally on a single 360. Only possible if you guys team up via XBL.

Bummer. But you could still practice with a teammate if they have a setup right next to you signed into XBL I suppose. Awkward solution but it'd work.

Kinda like how you have to play SC2 over BNet even if you are in the same room with the person your are playing. :\

d0c_zaius

my point exactly

i implied it when i mentioned it on the ps3 vs 360 but you're right, I clearly didn't

still doesn't change the fact this is a terrible fucking decision

well no you implied that your friends are on another console. and I cant be right cause I'm a baboon.

but you are correct that even though I am hyped for the gameplay possibilities and changes that 2v2 could bring, the decision to have it be the only focus when there is no way for 360 players to play locally vs others online is not cool at all.

But I am excited to see a reason for 2v2 to be taken seriously.

DR2K

Banned
It's moronic regardless of whether or not they play online. They're reducing the pool of contestants for a new game. It's more hype sure, but shutting out a lot of people that want to play the game is bad for the long term health of the game.

I think that's the point, they're trying to kill this game. They have good reason, it's not a very tournament friendly game. From DLC, gems, balance, etc. . .

CPS2

lol people losing their shit at 2v2, the smash bros community is going to laugh at you. not to mention a lot of the points being brought up would apply to any team tournament.

d0c_zaius

absolutely none outside of cross assault

well to be fair, we don't really know since there hasn't been a reason to take it seriously.

Obviously tagging will be different since the off-screen character can tag themselves in off of a hit, plus exchange combos will require a different approach then just relying on yourself to do everything.

I don't know why people are assuming the game has been completely figured out yet. The game has been out for the general public for only 3 weeks.

zlatko

Banned

disgunnabgood.gif

saltpile.jpg

It sure did. At least some valid arguments against it are coming up though.

Well, partners can switch cancel themselves in which is kinda cool but yeah, this is still 1v1 with tagging in a fresh player. It's not an actual 2v2 game like say, Gundam.

It's more dynamic in that certain players will have different strengths and weaknesses, and ideally, teams would be made up so that they will min/max on those, but yeah it's a tag team, so it's as 2v2 as tag team matches get.

It'll be more fun to watch, especially if we can see what happens outside of the game, but it shrinks the player pool by a lot.

so instead of getting better at the game you can get someone who just knows it

i don't know, that just sound scrubby as fuck
well no one's stopping you from going back to playing super counterpick fighter 4.

the point is that its a team format. the best team will win, not necessarily the best players.

zlatko said:
Uh no. The Dhalsim mirror is dildos. :p
by "learn" i meant "learn to play," as in creating a marduk/dhalsim team.

Bizazedo

It sure did. At least some valid arguments against it are coming up though.
Kind of?

The 360 one is interesting, but, really, if you're going to play ONLINE, you don't need them in the same room. XBL parties exist.

It's an odd argument because it's saying, hey, it's okay to practice online with your partner in the same room, but if he stays at home it completely invalidates your online team.

Wait, what?

All of the other arguments basically boil down to "I have no friends".

Or, "Damn, I could totally realistically win this, but now I can't due to 2vs2".

The only truly legit argument I've seen is not liking two vs two.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Jenga
Banned
(Today, 03:13 PM)

2GvS4.gif

It is going to make it harder on people to practice, though.

Coordinating schedules for two people to get in concentrated practice is going to be harder than someone practicing alone. Hell, I saw a couple of known players saying they're unlikely to participate for exactly this reason.

This is compounded, obviously, by people playing so many different games right now.

Threi

notag
just to clear things up, for XBL:

2v2 offline on one 360 = Works
2v2 (or 2v1) online on 4 360s = Works
2v2 online on any less than 4 360's = Doesn't work.

What you CAN'T do is have two guys on one 360 playing together online.

CPS2

Kind of?

The 360 one is interesting, but, really, if you're going to play ONLINE, you don't need them in the same room. XBL parties exist.

It's an odd argument because it's saying, hey, it's okay to practice online with your partner in the same room, but if he stays at home it completely invalidates your online team.

Wait, what?

Or, "Damn, I could totally realistically win this, but now I can't due to 2vs2".

I agree with everything you just said. Also if people are actually serious about going to evo to compete, and think they won't be able to find a team mate, i think they're overestimating themselves just a bit and should take it a little less seriously.

Shouta

Kind of?

Wait, what?

Wait, what? Only legit argument is not liking 2v2? That's pretty stupid.

Reducing the partner issue to "I don't have friends" is pure and utter idiocy. Players not having folks in their area that want to play SFxT, have the time to practice with someone, and want to spend the time and cash to go to Vegas for Evo, isn't a legit concern? What kind of blinders are you wearing?

I don't know why Jenga got so mad, lol.

Anyways, for me, I just don't like 2v2. I just like me vs the other person, and outcome of the match is based solely on my decisions and experience. To me SFxTK is like tennis, and 1v1 is the main show, and 2v2 is for the side.

I don't want to drag anybody down, or be dragged down by somebody else in a match. Plus there is the secondary stuff, like I don't have time to practice with people, all my friends schedules don't allow that (even if they liked the game), blah, blah.

Also, boiling it down to "you don't have friends" is kinda condescending. Not having friends who want to go to EVO and want to actually play SFxTK in a team format is a better assessment of the situation.

But nonetheless, I'm happy for the people that will enjoy it and wanted it. We shall see how it pans out.

Still, I wish they would use Gems. If people want interesting, that would be interesting.

zlatko

Banned
Shouta you can play locally with a friend on a 360. You just both can't go online warrioring it up like Mike/Gootecks. You can still work some synergy, practice out combos, get some unblockables down, etc.

Work on all that, go to a tourney, get some sets/money matches in, compete in the tournie, see what you need to work on. Maybe find two peeps there who like to gather up as well for more sessions, etc.

It might not be ideal like the PS3 way of get together at your house and practice against online peeps, but at the same time, you're online experience will most likely be against a LOT of just solo guys, not another 2 man team.

Threi

notag
Its essentially the same issue with being in a scene that has no good players to play against. Not having a partner to train with is the same as not having any real offline experience vs a skilled opponent. You resort to online to foster your skill. The risk you take in having your partner be someone you only know online is similar to the risk you take in going to an offline tournament with nothing but online experience.

The main problem here is that the netcode for this game is very bad. That is the issue, not the team nature.

Shouta

Shouta you can play locally with a friend on a 360. You just both can't go online warrioring it up like Mike/Gootecks. You can still work some synergy, practice out combos, get some unblockables down, etc.

Work on all that, go to a tourney, get some sets/money matches in, compete in the tournie, see what you need to work on. Maybe find two peeps there who like to gather up as well for more sessions, etc.

It might not be ideal like the PS3 way of get together at your house and practice against online peeps, but at the same time, you're online experience will most likely be against a LOT of just solo guys, not another 2 man team.

I edited out that part after reading Threi's post.

Still, reducing the partner issue to "You don't have friends" is raw stupid.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Its essentially the same issue with being in a scene that has no good players to play against. Not having a partner to train with is the same as not having any real offline experience vs a skilled opponent. You resort to online to foster your skill. The risk you take in having your partner be someone you only know online is similar to the risk you take in going to an offline tournament with nothing but online experience.

The main problem here is that the netcode for this game is very bad. That is the issue, not the team nature.

Is this the general consensus? I havent had any problems with the netcode.

CPS2

Still, reducing the partner issue to "You don't have friends" is raw stupid.
He was actually saying the only legit complaint is "i just don't like 2v2." Every other complaint, especially those that would apply to any team tournament, is not really valid.

Shouta

Is this the general consensus? I havent had any problems with the netcode.

Anything lower than 3-4 bars is bad. Even at 3-4 bars, it isn't the same experience as offline because there's some reduction in the animation and frames, as far as I can tell. It just isn't as smooth. I still have trouble blocking online because I can't read the animation at times and misread if it's a high, mid, low.

He was actually saying the only legit complaint is "i just don't like 2v2." Every other complaint, especially those that would apply to any team tournament, is not really valid.

I think it's a legit complaint, hence why his argument is stupid.

Venfayth

When I play with my friend who lives in the same city as me, it's basically offline.

Anyone else, even 4 bars, there's a noticeable difference. It's still pretty good, but annoying when you notice the rollbacks.

Less than 3 bars - not even gonna try it. Too frustrating.

CPS2

I think it's a legit complaint, hence why his argument is stupid.
SBO has been running games as pure team tournaments for years, with no 1v1 at all for certain titles. There's nothing wrong with the format, and it just seems like the top contenders wouldn't have much trouble finding team mates. Like i said before, going to EVO thinking you'd do a lot better on your own, but not having a team mate, to me is getting into territory where you shouldn't take the comp too seriously.

LegatoB

SBO has been running games as pure team tournaments for years, with no 1v1 at all for certain titles. There's nothing wrong with the format, and it just seems like the top contenders wouldn't have much trouble finding team mates. Like i said before, going to EVO thinking you'd do a lot better on your own, but not having a team mate, to me is getting into territory where you shouldn't take the comp too seriously.
2v2 in most fighting games is a far different beast from this game. Players don't need to practice together or coordinate beyond which character each player wishes to use, perhaps to deal with matchups, because in effect the tournament is a series of linked 1v1 matches. In this game, both players are switching off mid game. This means that both players need to be not only very familiar with their own character & playstyle, but also how to best support their teammate. When they need to tag in, what they need to do once they're in and when, etc. And let's not forget CROSS ASSAULT setups!

edit 2: And I think making decisions based on how much they would hurt "top players" without considering the majority of the Evo playerbase is a very bad direction. #esports

DR2K

Banned

You mean in close nit Japan where there's an arcade on every block with competitiors the eye can see? That's great close off the game to the few "top players".

Top Bottom