• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

CPS2

edit 2: And I think making decisions based on how much they would hurt "top players" without considering the majority of the Evo playerbase is a very bad direction. #esports
So team tournaments are inherantly more unfair to lower skilled players?

Shouta

SBO has been running games as pure team tournaments for years, with no 1v1 at all for certain titles. There's nothing wrong with the format, and it just seems like the top contenders wouldn't have much trouble finding team mates. Like i said before, going to EVO thinking you'd do a lot better on your own, but not having a team mate, to me is getting into territory where you shouldn't take the comp too seriously.

I play Gundam EXVS as a main game, which is real 2v2. I know the advantages and disadvantages of this style of tournament better than anyone else on this forum.

As Legato points out, this is not the same as a team tournament in other games. Team synergy, learning to play with another player, combo timing, and a whole slew of other things are on the table that aren't found in most other fighting games. It's a whole different beast most FGC people aren't used to. Playing well as a team is a whole other level.

Regardless of whether or not you can do well, it's about being able to play the game. 2v2 when 1v1 would suffice, effectively rules out a lot of people. Most people know they aren't going to make it out of pools but they still play. Not giving them the chance and then raising the bar further is terrible.

zlatko

Banned
Shouta vs Hitokage. First to 5 in SFxT....oh wait you guys will need partners.

I volunteer myself for Hito to be his anchor Kazuya.

zlatko

Banned
*cry* Why do you hate me!?

You need a more kawaii avatar for me to give you my sword in arms. ;)

Edit: @ LakeEarth, best damage combo is 3 knees, stand fierece, then fierce power bomb, and not 4 knees into the bomb.

Use him as 2nd character to tag in for with a knee, knee, fierce power bomb(think that's his best/max off tag in combo).

Avoid his command grabs except for the ex low one when they block. Learn his cr lp cr lp cr mp into QCB punch move combo. The rest of it is just pray to god they don't maul you, because you will get blown up lol.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Name a game that is as intensely 2v2 as Gundam is. Because, I don't know one in the US as intense as Gundam is in Japan.
Two things. First, there are a lot of people on NeoGAF, even if they don't post all that often, and your quick assertion that you know more than any of them is laughable in itself. Second, Smash teams.

Shouta

You need a more kawaii avatar for me to give you my sword in arms. ;)

Hah! Urushihara avatar stays until GL4 is released and done with in the US!

But seriously, I can't think of any game popular in the US that's even within the same realm of 2v2 as Gundam is. There's RTS and FPS but those are totally different style of games in terms of approach and thinking. As different as Gundam is in style to regular fighting game, it's closer in feel to a FG than an RTS or FPS is when considering the 2v2 setup.

LowParry

Haha, can a mod ban another mod? I've always wondered this. The thread has certainly turned into a amusing route. Carry on mods!

I think for the people who are likely to be a factor in this game, it's unlikely to matter.

But for the average person being dependent upon a teammate who you have schedule your playtime and trip around, it will be an issue and likely will mean a much smaller pool of people playing, and thus likely a smaller payout.

LakeEarth

Things I already know:
- taller characters are better at regular tagging King in to do knees
- ABC EX kick ABC launch seems to do a good amount of damage
- mind game: do a lot of lows, and when they start blocking go for the low command grab

cackhyena

Hah! Urushihara avatar stays until GL4 is released and done with in the US!

But seriously, I can't think of any game popular in the US that's even within the same realm of 2v2 as Gundam is. There's RTS and FPS but those are totally different style of games in terms of approach and thinking. As different as Gundam is in style to regular fighting game, it's closer in feel to a FG than an RTS or FPS is when considering the 2v2 setup.

Didn't duder up there just give you a name?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Haha, can a mod ban another mod? I've always wondered this. The thread has certainly turned into a amusing route. Carry on mods!
I guess so.
But having a conversation != Banning

BTW where is Tekno?
EDIT: Is this becoming a "My gaem is better than your gaem!!111!!" thread?
Cuz we all know that KOF is the KING

Aedile

Wow, I totally forgot about this as well. So basically Evo guys are being morons.

Well, they made SFxT a main stage game, didn't they?

Seriously, though, I do think that the EVO guys take crowd and stream hype into account with these things. SFxT hype at NCR was underwhelming to nonexistent--hell, it generated some kind of anti-Capcom distortion field that allowed stream monsters to appreciate KoF, SCV and VF5--and a lot of people seem to think that the 2v2 format would alleviate that somewhat.

LowParry

I guess so.

BTW where is Tekno?

I'm not calling out the conversation as a ban. Just thought I throw that out there. Just for the sake of an answer. :D

sleepykyo

Two things. First, there are a lot of people on NeoGAF, even if they don't post all that often, and your quick assertion that you know more than any of them is laughable in itself. Second, Smash teams.

Second time I've seen Smash mentioned.

Wasn't that the game where the crowd wanted items off and SRK ignored it. Then it got dismissed as a joke when the game was won by kid.

And now SFxT is the party game that has predetermined to be a party game with no competitive value. And now it is (albeit unintentionally) getting set up to be dismissed.

Shouta

I'll give you the first one because I'm a little miffed in general and getting carried away. But I highly doubt many folks have had that 2v2 experience on this forum. There aren't many games that are specifically 2v2 that play similar in concept.

And Smash? Compared to Gundam? Seriously?

Didn't duder up there just give you a name?

He posted after me and comparing Smash to Gundam in terms of level of competition and popularity is funny because as an arcade game, Gundam has beaten every other FG for years now, aside from maybe losing the spot to Tekken once and awhile.

sleepykyo

I guess so.

BTW where is Tekno?

What makes you think Tekno won't just write that VF5 is the best game? And he would be right.

Shouta

From a TO's perspective there isn't much difference. Neither is there on the factor of having to coordinate with another person.

From a TO's perspective, sure. But I'm speaking from player's perspective.

And you're right, there isn't a difference when it comes to coordination, sure. But there is when looking at experience though. All I'm saying is that I know very well how tough a barrier 2v2 is because of how competitive Gundam is. It's not something you can just pick up a partner on the day of.

What was your argument again?

In regards to Evo's setup?

zlatko

Banned
I guess so.

BTW where is Tekno?

Tekno waits in the shadows to do the bans that no one wants to touch. If he must take down two mods he will. Good ol fashioned bingo style.

The latest Capcom game being related to Smash is pretty hilarious if you ask me, especially considering Smash's history with the more mainstream FG community.

I am really sad by this decision, it seems to me that EVO didn't know how to deal with SFxT and came up with this. Can't EVO retract this decision or is it set in stone?

CPS2

I think the format just makes a lot of sense for EVO. 4 people playing in a 1v1 format is 2 separate games on 2 setups, but with 2v2 it's 1 game on 1 setup. I'm hoping they won't put 4 players in front of a single 24" screen because I think that would be uncomfortable + hard to see, but however they work it out it may end up being a lot less hassle than 1v1 if they get a lot of entrants. Also if they do get less entrants, it only makes the game easier to run. Though I can't see this getting low numbers, despite some inevitable internet outrage.

I just heard to news, can't say I like it right now but if that's the route they want to go then so be it. I'd prefer they stuck with 1v1 but it looks like EVO is more concerned with playing to the crowd and trying to create a more hype tournament after the debacle at NCR. While it's true that there isn't much time to see how things play out, I would have loved to see them crown the first SFxT solo champion.

I'm not a fan of tag fighters, and I'm even less of a fan of team tournaments crowning champions of singles even though they may be more entertaining and hype to watch. But we'll see how it goes this year. If I were going to EVO I think I would probably just enter SF4 though. I feel the same way as Thatcrazyguy, don't want to be dragged down by a teammate or do the same to him. I just want to rely on myself regardless of my own skill.

Shouta

Wait, I though 2v2 for SFxT EVO was always demanded by the community? When did people begin to prefer 1 v 1?

From a spectator and TO position, it's great. Very exciting. But as I said earlier in the thread, it really hurts a lot of folks that want to play but don't have a partner that has the time or is willing to.

Chavelo

Shouldn't have Gootecksed it. :(

zyN33.gif

kirblar

From a spectator and TO position, it's great. Very exciting. But as I said earlier in the thread, it really hurts a lot of folks that want to play but don't have a partner that has the time or is willing to.
I just don't think EVO has enough time on the schedule to run a full SFxT and end the event nights at a reasonable hour. WNF's been going to what, 2-3am PST lately?

Shouta

That makes it rather uneven, mainly in favor of the single player.

It kinda depends. Going solo would mean you wouldn't have a partner that would mess your chances up if they screw up. On the other hand, having a partner means that if you face someone solo, your opponent has to adapt to two different people's play mentality and style.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I just don't think EVO has enough time on the schedule to run a full SFxT and end the event nights at a reasonable hour. WNF's been going to what, 2-3am PST lately?
Yeah, as mentioned, they're running six games this year, and two of them eat up more time than normal.

Top Bottom