• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

d0c_zaius

I just don't think EVO has enough time on the schedule to run a full SFxT and end the event nights at a reasonable hour. WNF's been going to what, 2-3am PST lately?

^
This

I'm sure if they had the time, they would have included 1v1 as well. But if they had to pick one, I'm glad they went with 2v2 as we already have a ton of 1v1 fighters being represented.

Plus isn't the popular opinion becoming now that 1v1 no gems = boring?

Time to start retiring some.

As much as SF4 needs to go, I doubt it'll happen.

Time to start retiring some.

Which would one would you though? SCV and KOFXIII are making there first appearances along with SFxT. UMVC3 and SF4 are still going to be insanely popular games. A 1000+ man game(namely SF4) doesn't get booted because KOFXIII is hype, for example. So I guess the only logical choice would be MK. The community has been doing well but they are not growing nor do they have the love of the stream monsters.

d0c_zaius

It currently is though there's only been one major so far. Current playstyles also make it a little boring because it always gets timed out.

But this isn't true though (in regards to always). I think the time outs are having a longer lasting impression than the blow ups, especially when the blow ups are because no one switched. Fubarduck says once gems are used, he speculates 50-60% of the fights will end in a time out based on defense gems? Sounds like BS though, especially since hes just going on an anti-sfxt campaign.

I think Ryan Hunter pointed out that there were only 3 timeouts for the semis/finals? He could be wrong though.

But I seem to remember plenty of blow ups.

LowParry

I thought this tournament patch was suppose to fix things? You'd think Capcom would show this feature off to Mr. Wizard before making choices about the 2v2 with SFxT and no gems.

Shouta

But this isnt true though (in regards to always). I think the time outs are having a longer lasting impression than the blow ups, especially when the blow ups are because no one switched.

I think Ryan Hunter pointed out that there were only 3 timeouts for the semis/finals? He could be wrong though.

But I seem to remember plenty of blow ups.

I recall quite a few when you include pools but I don't recall a lot during semis/finals yeah. However, a lot of the matches run out because of the pecking that folks were doing. Magus and Seth mentioned when they were commentating that the combos weren't really optimized they thought which was pretty true IMO. The type of damage that can be dished out in this game is incredible but there was just very little of it at NCR, as far as I can tell.

Drop AE, people are just going to play SFxTK like it anyways.

Like I said, the notion of dropping AE just because it's getting old, the crowd isn't as hype, or the stream isn't as annoying isn't a good argument. Tons of people still play it(I think it still got more then Marvel 3 at NCR) and tons of people still watch it going by the numbers on the stream. And that's all it really needs to stay. The number of fans getting loud and rowdy at the event or on the stream should not be a indicator of whether a game needs to stay or go.

And I know that's not what you mean, but I just wanted to point that out since others feel that way.

CPS2

Scary how Blazblue is probably the most tournament friendly game ever, very fast button config and you can't accidentally use the wrong version, but not enough people like it so it's not at EVO.

zlatko

Banned
Scary how Blazblue is probably the most tournament friendly game ever, very fast button config and you can't accidentally use the wrong version, but not enough people like it so it's not at EVO.

When Guilty Gear returns with a new itteration and not just a HD port, then you can bet your buttons there will be more people down to roll with it.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
This seems like a reasonable change of pace to me since it switches up the format in a way that makes actual sense. It also gives EVO the chance to evaluate if this is the sort of thing that people enjoy.

UMvC3 is going to bring the hype. AE2012 is going to bring the quality of play and international competition. If anything, it looks like this gives SFxT something to help it stand out from the crowd.

Chavelo

http://shoryuken.com/2012/03/27/str...-version-will-not-support-local-online-co-op/

Nicolas%20Cage%20Laugh.gif

They were contemplating making SFxT 2v2 even before it was released. One of the Cannon's even mentioned on twitter that the decision was made before NCR. With EVO having 6 games this year I guess they really dont they have time to run SFxT as 1v1 tourney. Maybe next year when they drop MK and it returns to 5 games.

d0c_zaius

I recall quite a few when you include pools but I don't recall a lot during semis/finals yeah. However, a lot of the matches run out because of the pecking that folks were doing. Magus and Seth mentioned when they were commentating that the combos weren't really optimized they thought which was pretty true IMO. The type of damage that can be dished out in this game is incredible but there was just very little of it at NCR, as far as I can tell.

ok I can pretty much agree with this.

1v1 with only 1 match deciding seems like it could be really unsatisfying.

"Scary how Blazblue is probably the most tournament friendly game ever, very fast button config and you can't accidentally use the wrong version, but not enough people like it so it's not at EVO."

Until Virtua Fighter 5.

Crocodile

If the EVO head honchos already knew 2v2 was going to be the official format for SFxT, why did they let 1v1 rock at NCR, an official EVO event?

notworksafe

If the EVO head honchos already knew 2v2 was going to be the official format for SFxT, why did they let 1v1 rock at NCR, an official EVO event?

Because NCR isn't their event and it would be a dick move to spring that on the people running it, making them decide between keeping their event how it was or change it at the last minute and piss players off.

They knew they could possibly have three 1,000 man tournaments on there hand. Which is why they made this decision I guess. As I already stated, I don't like making SFxT a 2v2 game, but I guess it's what must be done in order to get things done on time. Hopefully that won't be the case next year.

d0c_zaius

http://westernwolves.com/blog/SF_X_TEKKEN__My_thoughts__part_1-10.html

Ryan Hearts SFxT comments

Its a long read, and I pretty much agree with most of what he states.

"I very much like the game and I'm having a lot of fun using multiple teams and characters. The game has a great cast all with their unique attributes offering something new for the tactics table. This allows you to be super creative in how you express your team in combos and offensive and defensive strategy."

Crocodile

Because NCR isn't their event and it would be a dick move to spring that on the people running it, making them decide between keeping their event how it was or change it at the last minute and piss players off.

I know NCR isn't "their" event but many of the people running NCR have strong ties to the EVO staff. Mr. Wizards and the Cannon bros are based out of California and would be/were at NCR. IMO, if EVO wasn't going to wait for community feedback for which format to use (i.e. watch what happens at majors, etc.) they should have told everybody the official format AS SOON as they had decided (ideally as soon as SFxT was announced for the line-up).

Check the rules. They said Road to EVO tournaments can run either 1v1 or 2v2.

I must have missed that. A non-issue for non-EVO events but if you are competing for EVO Q points, it seems like a waste of time to not play the format EVO will be in.

smurfx

get some go again
will capcom put any money in the pot to make up for the people not entering the evo 2vs2 contest? there is prestige to winning evo but the great bonus is getting a huge amount of money to go along with it. pot monsters is what keeps pros coming to tournaments because they can make a good amount of money if they win. if you start cutting down on potential money then you will have pros concentrate on the other games that do make them money.

zlatko

Banned
So I personally bet that Gootecks/Ross will not even get top 32 in 2v2 for this game at EVO if they team up together.

I think it'll be whoever Poongko matches up with that will take first in this game. I just feel it.

I must have missed that. A non-issue for non-EVO events but if you are competing for EVO Q points, it seems like a waste of time to not play the format EVO will be in.

True, but sometimes a partner can't make it to every tourney so having a few 1v1 can be beneficial so at least one of the partners can still get points for their team.

Top Bottom