• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

Daigo/Poongko
WolfKrone/Latif
Tokido/Mago
Infiltration/Laugh
Justin Wong/Ricky Ortiz

Who does Daigo play in this game anyway? I haven't seen any footage of him since the game dropped

Jenga

Banned
Enlighten me.

In a way that isn't "this sucks because i can't play it the way i want to"

read the previous posts

1. finding a partner in a limited scene

2. finding a good partner

3. practising balanced around two separate schedules

4. possibility of losing a match in a fighting game due to someone other than yourself

bonus personal reason: on 360 and friends have this on fucking ps3

brian

That isn't an integral mechanic to the game...at all.

Hell everyone could play the game using Street Fighter characters if they so wished and it wouldn't change a thing.

I'm not even sure what you consider an integral mechanic. What integral mechanics were done better in other games?

Everybody COULD play the game with only SF characters, but they don't.

d0c_zaius

uh ok. Just because a game is 2v2 doesnt mean its a party game.

Tekken Tag 2 party game confirmed?

read the previous posts

4. possibility of losing a match in a fighting game due to someone other than yourself

Ok so by your points, here are the opposite and equal points.

Playing 2 v 2 and finding a good partner = more satisfying, new and hype inducing.

Working with another player to figure out what works and doesn't, helping make up for their mistakes, twice the possible mind games and chokes are all more rewarding.

Bonus: buy the ps3 version if you care enough, if you don't, don't play it at evo. Or just buy the one your friends play in the first place.

sleepykyo

Well when you say "BS in marvel and AE" I think of what is BS in those games. In Marvel it's x factor, and in AE it was Yun I guess.

So to say this game going to 2v2 now makes it filled with BS like x factor is ridiculous. If anything going to 2v2 takes BS out. Now when I cross rush I don't have to worry about the A.I going for just a throw or command grab or burning the whole bar of meter on a super, and instead I can set up some good ass frame traps or high low mix ups with a person which adds way more dynamic.

You don't see it being potentially awesome to have Daigo on his last breath of health in a corner as he's being cross rushed by say Jwong and Ricky at once doing crazy high lows, have him block it all, then do a reverse combo to tag in his partner and save the day? That sounds god like hype and an incredible amount of skill being used to do so.

The game you've been playing up to now 1v1, is still the same game, only NOW when you do a tag in, you have to just put faith in a reliable friend to know how to finish the combo and be as smart as you were with tagging to keep you both in the game. More is on the line with another person in the fight with you.

The complaints about local scenes and not enough players/time to train up together are 100% valid though. Not much I can say there, except realistically to go far in a major these days you need to have a lot of time devoted to the game anyway.

Once again, one type of bs isn't the same. I just don't want that shit in it, I'm not argue about whether horse manure has the same composition as bull manure.

Why do you need to rely on cross rush to get your offense anyway? You can't open someone up without another player backing you? You're right that coordination is a skill. I'm not going to deny that. I just would have preferred to see Ricky open Daigo up without Justin.

Then there is also the issue that Capcom is dragging its heels on patching in coop for the 360. Ideally everyone would just migrate over temporarily, but as indicated over the constant complaints over the input lag in AE or the slow down in MVC3, no one really really migrates over temp. The PS3 userbase is weak enough that the timing differences don't matter in single player game, but now that is a tag team, it's arguably possible for a team of (not significantly) weaker players to win through better coordination.

Jenga

Banned
Tekken Tag 2 party game confirmed?

Ok so by your points, here are the opposite and equal points.

Playing 2 v 2 and finding a good partner = more satisfying, new and hype inducing.

Working with another player to figure out what works and doesn't, helping make up for their mistakes, twice the possible mind games and chokes are all more rewarding.

Bonus: buy the ps3 version if you care enough, if you don't, don't play it at evo.

your points suck

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
your points suck

vlYnQ.gif

BadWolf

Ohh, that's good. Let's run KOF as 3v3 teams, each player using one character! It'll be hype as fuck and cut the bracket size down by 66%! It's okay, guys, it's for Time Reasons!

Already been done btw, the Answer ran a tournament like that and it went suprisingly smooth (button checks etc were a non-issue).

d0c_zaius

your points suck

obviously cause they are based directly on yours.

If you want a game that plays like the rest, play them. Complaining about them choosing 2v2 in a game designed as such seems silly.

But don't let that get in the way of complaining of course.

zlatko

Banned
Once again, one type of bs isn't the same. I just don't want that shit in it, I'm not argue about whether horse manure has the same composition as bull manure.

Why do you need to rely on cross rush to get your offense anyway? You can't open someone up without another player backing you? You're right that coordination. I'm not going to deny that. I just would have preferred to see Ricky open Daigo up without Justin.

Then there is also the issue that Capcom is dragging its heels on patching in coop for the 360. Ideally everyone would just migrate over temporarily, but as indicated over the constant complaints over the input lag in AE or the slow down in MVC3, no one really really migrates over temp. The PS3 userbase is weak enough that the timing differences don't matter in single player game, but now that is a tag team, it's arguably possible for a team of (not significantly) weaker players to win through better coordination.

Then they are no longer the weaker players. Coordination is a key element. Don't have it? You don't deserve the win. That's like saying someone without execution is a better play because he can make better reads. You need both.

As for your poop analogy. You're actually comparing apples to oranges with X factor to making the game 2 v 2.

An upset by a team of slightly weaker individual players that work better as a team than two stronger players sounds like a great hype moment, I look forward to it.

Jenga

Banned
obviously cause they are based directly on yours.
my points: eloquent and logical (somewhat sexy) reasoning on why this is bad not only for me but for many others accustomed to 1v1 fighters and who bought into SFxT as a solo fighter

your points: B-BUT IT'S HYPE HYPE HYPE GO BUY A PS3 SO SALTY uguu kawaii~

Bizazedo

They have a massive time problem with SFxT. Tournaments are taking forever to finish because of the time out issues, and they don't appear to be going away any time soon. 2v2 allows a smaller bracket, a different experience from SFIV AE, and less stress on the tournament. This is much more about logistics than it is about the "best" way to play the game.

Pretty much. I know I'm running a local tournament this weekend and we're going 2vs2 for SFxTK. I'd be lying if time constraints didn't play a major role in, though.

...BUT, I also prefer 2vs2 and think that's how it should be on the tournament level (or 1vs1 and 2vs2, separate, tourneys at the least, so long as 2vs2 is present).

The far more concerning issue I have with this thread right now is I find myself agreeing with Threi.

d0c_zaius

my points: eloquent and logical (somewhat sexy) reasoning on why this is bad not only for me but for many others accustomed to 1v1 fighters and who bought into SFxT as a solo fighter

your points: B-BUT IT'S HYPE HYPE HYPE GO BUY A PS3 SO SALTY uguu kawaii~

yikes at referring to your logic as sexy, but anyway:

It sounds like you haven't played 2v2 unfortunately, so its a one sided argument of logic vs bitterness. Hopefully you find some people to play with or otherwise find something else to fill that hole.

Saying find someone who shares your passion and actually buying the version your friends have is some "CAPS RANT WITH JAPANESE WORDS AT THE END". Ok then.

Threi

notag
read the previous posts

The first three points are something that isn't limited to team play. Some people live in areas that don't even have scenes...at all. People have jobs and don't have time to play offline. This is an issue many experience with fighting games in general and not just online. Using it as a point against team play in particular makes no sense.

The fourth point is something that is included in team play. It is a group effort. That is like saying any sport ever made should be 1v1 because potential teammates can screw you over. How about you screwing your teammate out of a win? That is entirely possible as well. That kind of attitude would never win you anything in a team environment anyways, I am starting to see why you would have a problem with it.

Sayah

Maybe there can be compromise and everyone can recognize both the ups and down in doing 2v2 play?

Downs: RIP + SuperYan. How lovely it was when she walked out and ruined his chances of winning. More drama for stream chat.
Ups: what everyone else listed here.

d0c_zaius

But I have, quit making assumptions. It's fun, but not what I bought this game for.

Um I was going by your previous complaint posts about not having people to play with and not having friends on the console. You supplied the info guy.

If its fun and you want to play it, find a way to make it work. Thats what I am doing, and I'm sure others will as well.

If you think everyone bought the game for the reasons you did, you are obviously wrong.

notworksafe

Glad EVO is running SxT as 2v2. I think I'll actually enter the game now.

We ran a local 2v2 tourney last Friday and it was a lot more fun to both play and watch. I brought up the idea of doing 2v2s on a regular basis and people were interested. I'm happy to see it's not just our scene that is into it.

Shouta

Oh fucking hell, I was going to go to EVO to play SFxT and SCV (plus if someone brings some Gundam for the hell of it) but 2v2 pretty much means I can't play. Goddammit.

Already been done btw, the Answer ran a tournament like that and it went suprisingly smooth (button checks etc were a non-issue).

Now we just need to implement pause hot-switching in Marvel then we can cut out Friday, have all the secondary games on Saturday, and the entirety of Sunday can reserved solely for AE.

I think it's too soon to make a judgement call on this. If SFxT remains the same for the next few months then fine but if people level up, the international comp is show to be strong, and the game completely changed by Evo then it will be a real shame to blow the event on teams.

Jenga

Banned
Um I was going by your previous complaint posts about not having people to play with and not having friends on the console. You supplied the info guy.
I went to a friend's house and we screwed around with it. The place we go to however has only been 1v1. Do you need my SSN too?

d0c_zaius

I went to a friend's house and we screwed around with it. The place we go to however has only been 1v1. Do you need my SSN too?

ok then , u mad. thats fine. once again, you supplied the info. It was pretty obvious from the beginning that 2v2 was a design focus, unless you like playing a game where the AI takes over one of your characters and starts doing random shit.

glad you "screwed around with it" , whatever that means.

the rest of us can have a good time playing 2v2 and you can sulk. There will be more 1v1 tourneys and side tourneys so its not a big deal, and running 2 modes for evo is unrealistic given the linup.

sexy logic

smurfx

get some go again
2v2 at evo fucks over 360 only guys pretty bad. you can't make friends online to practice 2v2 and possibly meet them at evo for this competition.

Chavelo

So...

Why are you guys arguing with Jenga? Or did you guys just join GAF? Look up his history post, not worth the time to argue with him about this.

On topic: How will it work with the majors coming up and seeding points? What about the pots already made if TOs decide to change the format for their tourneys?

2v2 at evo fucks over 360 only guys pretty bad. you can't make friends online to practice 2v2 and possibly meet them at evo for this competition.

Holy shit, I forgot about this. Okay, now this is just stupid. :/

What do you mean you can't make friends online to practice 2v2??

I thought 360 you couldn't have 2 local players play online, but if I had a friend from Cali join my team we could go into ranked online??

d0c_zaius

no man you just can't comprehend how fun and hype 2v2 is

oh wait you're a mod better not argue with you

no thats just a case of how to present a valid point vs. subjective bitter opinions that dont apply to everyone (I dont want to play with people. vs training on platforms is unequal).

unless you really think agreeing with a mod gets you bonus points or something.

LegatoB

Wow, I totally forgot about this as well. So basically Evo guys are being morons.
But it's so much more hype! Nevermind that it introduces huge problems for the community for a lot of reasons, I wanna see all my favorite faces and heels battle it out! With awesome drama and rivals getting forced to team up and and and it'll be so sweet!

But seriously, this is extremely unfortunate for players who have the resources and will to go to Evo, but lack the resources to find and transport a regular, well-practiced training partner. I get that a lot of people will enjoy this format, but not everyone who bought and enjoys this game as 1v1 is interested in playing it as a 2v2. One of the things that many people greatly enjoy about fighting games is that success or failure is all on one's own head in a match, and this choice changes the game far more than other "team tournament" formats. Dismissing objections as people whining isn't helpful.

If your partner has a family emergency, or gets laid off, or has his car break down, or just plain can't make it to Evo at last minute notice, what are you supposed to do? Playing a strong tag-team in this game requires good coordination. If your main reason to go to Evo is to compete in SFxT and you're down a partner, what do you do? This is a problem that the FGC really hasn't dealt with before.

Wow, I totally forgot about this as well. So basically Evo guys are being morons.

They are not morons they just don't give a fuck about online. You guys are forgetting that Gaf is pro online, but the tournament scene that you watch on a weekly aren't really online warriors except for a few. Maybe 25% at the most.

sleepykyo

What do you mean you can't make friends online to practice 2v2??

I thought 360 you couldn't have 2 local players play online, but if I had a friend from Cali join my team we could go into ranked online??

You're right. You can play together on 2 360's. You can't play on the same 360.

Top Bottom