• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

zlatko

Banned
As fun as it'll be to watch, if 2v2 is going to be the official standard then I'm done with this game.

Lack of a buddy to play with or ? Either way, there's a MOUNTAIN of 1v1 fighters out there to play that are fun. I'm glad this game has something so drastically different about it now for competition.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The tournament this year will be a 2on2 team tournament (not scramble mode), so get your partners ready as this very well could be a very interesting event.

L6jyg.gif

Man the salt levels are going to hit maximum. I can't wait to see this.

MThanded

I think the bigger issue with the gems is not the time it takes to set them up but that some of them have to be banned.

I don't think they wanted to sit down and figure that nonsense out. I don't blame them, especially since more gems are coming soon.

Jenga

Banned
My scene is tiny, we literally would have 2/3 teams. It's just not feasible for me so other than playing online every now and again I've not no reason to play it if 2v2 is standard everywhere.

exactly

my scene is tiny as well and we're all dudes with day jobs

meeting up every week is alright but having to train together on off-days isn't realistic for most of us

MThanded

exactly

my scene is tiny as well and we're all dudes with day jobs

meeting up every week is alright but having to train together on off-days isn't realistic for most of us

1v1 still seems to be the way this game is being played in most places. Just because evo is doing it doesn't mean local scenes have to change anything.

sleepykyo

Lack of a buddy to play with or ? Either way, there's a MOUNTAIN of 1v1 fighters out there to play that are fun. I'm glad this game has something so drastically different about it now for competition.

It's kind of contrary for fighters though. It's always been you're solely responsible for your victory or loss.

It's kind of disappointing to see that what could have been the best competitive game (Capcom released in a while) is being reduced to a tag affair to make up for the lack of bs found in Marvel and AE.

kirblar

They have a massive time problem with SFxT. Tournaments are taking forever to finish because of the time out issues, and they don't appear to be going away any time soon. 2v2 allows a smaller bracket, a different experience from SFIV AE, and less stress on the tournament. This is much more about logistics than it is about the "best" way to play the game.

zlatko

Banned
It's kind of contrary for fighters though. It's always been you're solely responsible for your victory or loss.

It's kind of disappointing to see that what could have been the best competitive game Capcom released in a while is being reduced to a tag affair to make up for the lack of bs found in Marvel and AE.

Lol yes, because 2v2 = X factor.

:/

TGMIII

1v1 still seems to be the way this game is being played in most places. Just because evo is doing it doesn't mean local scenes have to change anything.

Well majors all over the US until EVO ends are going to run 2v2 as the main format for sfxt since that's how it'll be at EVO. Same for international qualifiers for EVO, the quals here have already been changed to 2v2. So why would anyone focus on 1v1 until EVO is over and after that why would they switch back?

I'm not saying for sure that it's going to be 2v2 forever but right now it wouldn't make sense for people to focus on anything other than 2v2.

Jenga

Banned
yeah that's great and all, but having this artificial barrier for serious tournies is a huge roadblock that the majority of us can't put up with

MThanded

It's kind of disappointing to see that what could have been the best competitive game (Capcom released in a while) is being reduced to a tag affair to make up for the lack of bs found in Marvel and AE.

Surriously?

The game was built around the tag mechanic. You could probably go as far to say that its really the way the game is meant to be played. Cross Assault is pretty terrible in 1v1 mode.

Kuma isn't really a grappler though His damage is in fact, clawing people to death for the most part. Kuma has really easy combos for big damage as long as you fish for them. You don't even have to use his throws to win. Kuma's Headbutt is only useful for a few surprise antics and fireball/occasional long poke punish. Circus' command is mega ass though and does pretty poop damage. But he seriously has nasty and easy damage, just landing a f.lp leads to 400-500 damage.

Just like how Hugo doesn't need to use his throws to win. My point is what separates Kuma from Hugo beyond worse command grabs, worse normals, worse jump-ins and less reliable anti-air?

Hence Gief and Hugo are the only grapplers in the game that seem to have been designed with any thought in mind.

Just like how Hugo doesn't need to use his throws to win. My point is what separates Kuma from Hugo beyond worse command grabs, worse normals, worse jump-ins and less reliable anti-air?

Hence Gief and Hugo are the only grapplers in the game that seem to have been designed with any thought in mind.
zangief > marduk > abel > hugo > kuma > king (in terms of grappling abilities)

ShadowNinja64

Neo Member
I don't understand why everyone thinks gems are the solution to timeouts when the defense oriented gems - especially the autoblock and autotech gems - seem to be far more powerful than any of the gems focused on offense.

For instance, say you trigger your +10% damage over 20 seconds gem. You land your nice ~500 damage combo and expend a meter or two, so you get 50 extra damage. Maybe you instead land a couple ~350 damage combos and get 70 extra damage. If your opponent's instant heal gem or health regen gem kicks in, it basically renders the situation a wash. On top of that, what if they also have an Iron Wall gem kick in? Or maybe they see your attack gem(s) trigger and start running at their first opportunity, using autoblock or autotech to make it harder for them to get opened up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that gems can provide a boost to the offense in this game, but as it stands right now, I think the boost they provide to defense is significantly greater, which I think would lead into more timeouts, not less.

Jenga

Banned
do me a favor and take a second to explain why that sounds silly

if japan tournies stick with 1v1 that means the majority of the people playing this are going to focus on 1v1. 2v2 will be mostly an after-thought except for those handful of people who can reliably shell out cash for tickets for an evo appearance

MThanded

do me a favor and take a second to explain why that sounds silly

if japan tournies stick with 1v1 that means the majority of the people playing this are going to focus on 1v1. 2v2 will be mostly an after-thought except for those handful of people who can reliably shell out cash for tickets for an evo appearance

I'm willing to bet all the big names will be coming to Evo and playing 2v2 SFxTekken. They want that fight money.

Especially after America's poor showing at NCR. They think we are frayyyyy! No way they will pass this up.

Threi

notag

That's the thing about it. Between Marvel 3 and SSF4, pretty much every aspect of SFxT is done better in another capcom fighter. The 2v2 mechanic is something that sets it apart.

"The standard" doesn't have to apply to your local scene though...
"I'm selling SSF4 and MvC3 because Evo isn't an online-only tournament"

Jenga

Banned
That's the thing about it. Between Marvel 3 and SSF4, pretty much every aspect of SFxT is done better in another capcom fighter. The 2v2 mechanic is something that sets it apart.

if sfxt was meant to be a party game they should have said something so i could have skipped it

zlatko

Banned
That's really how you read my post? I think that the 2 v. 2 element is bs and I think x-factor, but that doesn't mean I think the they're the same bs. But sure, draw that inference and continue to think that way.

Well when you say "BS in marvel and AE" I think of what is BS in those games. In Marvel it's x factor, and in AE it was Yun I guess.

So to say this game going to 2v2 now makes it filled with BS like x factor is ridiculous. If anything going to 2v2 takes BS out. Now when I cross rush I don't have to worry about the A.I going for just a throw or command grab or burning the whole bar of meter on a super, and instead I can set up some good ass frame traps or high low mix ups with a person which adds way more dynamic.

You don't see it being potentially awesome to have Daigo on his last breath of health in a corner as he's being cross rushed by say Jwong and Ricky at once doing crazy high lows, have him block it all, then do a reverse combo to tag in his partner and save the day? That sounds god like hype and an incredible amount of skill being used to do so.

The game you've been playing up to now 1v1, is still the same game, only NOW when you do a tag in, you have to just put faith in a reliable friend to know how to finish the combo and be as smart as you were with tagging to keep you both in the game. More is on the line with another person in the fight with you.

The complaints about local scenes and not enough players/time to train up together are 100% valid though. Not much I can say there, except realistically to go far in a major these days you need to have a lot of time devoted to the game anyway.

MrDaravon

Probably good for spectators/stream monsters, but sucks for a lot of non-major players. Like if as a random dude I want to go to Evo but don't have a training partner I'm going with, I'm fucked. Or if I'm going with a group and there's an odd number of people. All sorts of weird logistical issues, plus requiring you to actually practice 2v2 instead of 1v1. Will probably be great for spectating as well as making the brackets go way faster, but I totally see why people in smaller scenes are pretty unhappy about this.

It feels like with this, gems, the online issues, and the complete clusterfuck regarding DLC, this game has gotten pigeonholed into this weird corner. Between the online issues, timeouts, and DLC clusterfuck I returned my copy pretty quick. 2v2 is the only thing I even enjoy watching streams of, 1v1 is pretty boring honestly.

sleepykyo

Surriously?

The game was built around the tag mechanic. You could probably go as far to say that its really the way the game is meant to be played. Cross Assault is pretty terrible in 1v1 mode.

Tekken Tag Tournament was tag team game, but was still played as a one player game.

In the end, this will get more hype from spectators that feed off the drama, but in the end is going to be worse. It's just someone carrying someone else to the top or someone dragging someone else down.

Jenga

Banned
So your only issue is the fact that 2v2 may have some sort of relation with smash brothers.
wat

no, my problem is that if evo has their way the only way to take this game remotely seriously is to find a partner that doesn't suck balls

Spruchy

There's gonna be so much drama! Does Justin team with his close friend Floe and his kazuya? Or does he team with Ricky's better-suited Chun-Li?

Threi

notag
Really? The Tekken character's strings, juggles/bounces, and step moves/stances are in another Capcom game?

That isn't an integral mechanic to the game...at all.

Hell everyone could play the game using Street Fighter characters if they so wished and it wouldn't change a thing.

wat

no, my problem is that if evo has their way the only way to take this game remotely seriously is to find a partner that doesn't suck balls
...and what's wrong with that?

Tekken Tag Tournament was tag team game, but was still played as a one player game.

And TTT2 has this 2v2 (players) feature too.

I hope that game makes full use of all potential player/character number combinations for both sides when it gets tourney play, too.

That isn't an integral mechanic to the game...at all.

Hell everyone could play the game using Street Fighter characters if they so wished and it wouldn't change a thing.

Which is my biggest problem with the game so far.

zangief > marduk > abel > hugo > kuma > king (in terms of grappling abilities)

I'd argue King's more likely to make use of the shining wizard than Kuma is any of his grabs in a match. However I was talking overall ability where Gief and Hugo are far superior to Abel, Kuma, and King. I can't speak for Marduk as I've not spent any time playing any time with or against him.

In the end, this will get more hype from spectators that feed off the drama, but in the end is going to be worse. It's just someone carrying someone else to the top or someone dragging someone else down.
there are a lot more things in this game that favour 2p play. i, for one, can't wait to see what people do with cross assault.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
They have a massive time problem with SFxT. Tournaments are taking forever to finish because of the time out issues, and they don't appear to be going away any time soon. 2v2 allows a smaller bracket, a different experience from SFIV AE, and less stress on the tournament. This is much more about logistics than it is about the "best" way to play the game.
Not to mention they're running KOF, another timesink game.

BadWolf

Going by what I saw at NCR and Big Two streams, 2v2 for EVO is a smart decision. The game as it stands is very boring to spectate so this added angle should help make things at least somewhat exciting.

It will be cool to see how in sync ppl will be able to get with one another.

d0c_zaius

I wanted to read this comment, but I just ran out of time.

onolaughing.gif

(just keeding)

but there were only 3 timeouts in all the NCR finals, so you should have had plenty of time :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for busting out the faults and forcing them to fine tune a new game.

But this "BLAH ITS OVER AND DONE JOKE GAME THANKS EVO 2v2 LOLZ" statements are silly and actually a little frustrating. The first "new" product to come out since SF4/Marvel3 and people have it all figured out already.

Especially people like Fubarduck who have gone into full time agenda mode or something.

Top Bottom